S27B970 Impressions.

I think the price of the SxxA850x and S27B970D is partly because it's new and Samsung are attempting to get the best return on their 'new' tech (not genuinely new as it's an IPS copy) so the marketing is about pitching it as a top of the range product, and in the case of S27B970 they are pitching it as a top of the range 'designer' product next to the Apple 27" display. It's not so much what it is worth by any rational measure, as what they think the market is is willing to pay.

As it appears to be not quite as good as IPS, it's tough sell. I imagine the Samsung prices will continue downward. It's not cheap enough to take many sales from Dell & HP, Samsung don't really compete with NEC/Spectaview or EIZO/Colouredge, and those who covet the Apple product are still more likely to buy that while the prices are close.

Makes sense.

Got my S27B970 like 3 days ago and ive been playing with it , i gotta say it one the highest quality screens Ive ever used , uniformity is perfect , pictures are fabulous on desktop and movies also, using the tftcentral high brite setting with the profile they designed . no ghosting that i can tell compared to the korean screens i used and the apple ACD , input lag is mom exitant when im playing battlefield . . . for sure i think pls tech looks richer in colors . . no backlight bleed , just a small amount of ips glow . . but now the only bad thing i think someone else said is this is not a screen to play at night , games just get really washed out , game get killed by the led clouding , i feel like every high contrast game i play is in a room full of smoke , trying lower my brightness all the way and i juts get alot of black crush . .for bright game this is not a problem . . also one more think even though this is a glossy screen it does not reflect at all for me . just wish this screen would of been ccfl ,
it is a winner in any case , but i will be selling since i got for a great price:D

You can't use any 27"+ IPS/PLS in a dark room & sit close (3ft/90cm+ viewing distance should get rid of the head on glow) due to the glow & generally poor black levels, especially with high brightness.

Maybe an IPS that can do 1100-1300:1 contrast @120cdm/2 would be good in a dark room, but they seem to more of a myth than reality.

Last edited:
You can't use any 27"+ IPS/PLS in a dark room & sit close (3ft/90cm+ viewing distance should get rid of the head on glow) due to the glow & generally poor black levels, especially with high brightness.

Maybe an IPS that can do 1100-1300:1 contrast @120cdm/2 would be good in a dark room, but they seem to more of a myth than reality.

yea NCX I think your right especially about the panel size of 27 , seems they need alot of brightness to illuminate the whole screen , giving poor black levels . . .

cant understand why it is so hard lately to find a ips with decent black , when there used to be so many of them years ago . .

well definately im going to give up on the 27 inch screens for a bit and try a couple of 23 , 24 inch screens , the 2412 was a great screen but is has that AG on it

I have an Asus VG23AH, it's IPS with semi-glossy coating and the contrast is higher (900-1000:1) than the S27B970D's (800:1). There is less glow on the VG23AH vs my S27A850D & 27" glossy CrossOver too.

If you can afford it the FS2333 is also a good choice.

anyone know when someone will put out a video on youtube for this screen there is only one good right now from NCIX. Really looking forward to see another video :D

You do realize the video will only look as good as the display you are viewing it on right?

I think the price of the SxxA850x and S27B970D is partly because it's new and Samsung are attempting to get the best return on their 'new' tech (not genuinely new as it's an IPS copy) so the marketing is about pitching it as a top of the range product, and in the case of S27B970 they are pitching it as a top of the range 'designer' product next to the Apple 27" display. It's not so much what it is worth by any rational measure, as what they think the market is is willing to pay.

As it appears to be not quite as good as IPS, it's tough sell. I imagine the Samsung prices will continue downward. It's not cheap enough to take many sales from Dell & HP, Samsung don't really compete with NEC/Spectaview or EIZO/Colouredge, and those who covet the Apple product are still more likely to buy that while the prices are close.

The price is not consistent with its claimed performance, which is still worse than legacy product lines from EIZO CE240W / NEC 90 series. Embedded HW Calibration/16 bit LUT feature does not show huge performance improvement from S27A850D with same panel model.

I just picked up the new S27B970 monitor by Samsung, so here are my initial impressions;
Exterior
This monitor is just plain gorgeous from an exterior vanity point of view. Better looking than the 27" Cinema Display in my opinion. The single pane glass display is really stunning, and the aluminum just looks great. This thing screams of beauty.

(snip)

With that said, I give this monitor a solid 9.5/10 - the best LED monitor I've ever used, hands down.

Thanks for this very informative review. It's good to read a review from someone who has seen a lot of the competition (and knows how to use a display calibrator - almost as important as the former, IMHO :) )

Despite the high price I'm really pleased to see Samsung taking a real swing for the fences - they're picking up where Sony left off, design-wise, what now seems like a long time ago. I love Apple's designs and own many of their products, but I'm not always pleased with their "my way or the highway" ethos, which is why I love reading about products like this. The market needs true competition in the quality- and design-first niche.

Sadly, this display lacks just one thing that I really, really want - the ability to display native 120hz content from a PC.

Thanks again, Ohmycaptain - look forward to another review when Samsung iterates on what sounds like a great display.

Last edited:
Received this monitor last week and it is great. However, I am experiencing a strange issue with standby/sleep mode when connected via Displayport. Basically, if my computer goes to sleep or is turned off, the monitor will not properly go into sleep/standby. The backlight will initially turn off, but within a couple of seconds will come on and show the "Displayport" indicator in the upper left as if it has received a signal from the computer. After another few seconds, the backlight will turn off again and the process will repeat, non-stop, until the computer wakes from sleep or is turned back on.

This is not an issue with the Displayport cable as I have tried two different ones. I also don't think it's an issue with the computer since it happens when the computer is turned off. Sleep/standby works perfectly fine when the monitor is connected via DVI or HDMI.

Anyone experiencing the same issue? If it is a defect with my particular monitor, I will request an exchange. If it is a widespread problem, I will keep it and hope for a fix (firmware maybe?) from Samsung, as the monitor is otherwise excellent.

17.3ms+9ms or so for the pixel response times (they only give the Fastest mode average [7.4ms] which is useless since there is tons of overshoot). It's actually a few ms slower than the 850D in terms of pixel response times & input lag.

Pixel Response times & input lag are separate. I don't agree with the whole "total lag," since it just causes a confusion. Some of the VA panels have much higher "total lag," than some of the IPS+TN panels due to the slow pixel transitions, but are nearly delay free like a CRT compared to other displays with lower "total lag," which have noticeable input lag.

Last edited:
thanks

edit: so in fact despite earlier discussions the TFTCentral measurements from SMTT 2.0 arevery close. They measured 24.4ms average overall lag when response time mode was set to "fastest" (too much overshoot as you've said) vs what Prad gave as overall display lag (signal processing + response time) of 24.7ms. And then TFTCentral also had 28ms average when in the "faster" mode, so although Prad don't have that measurement, it's probably about right by estimations of the pixel response time element.

Pixel Response times & input lag are separate. I don't agree with the whole "total lag," since it just causes a confusion. Some of the VA panels have much higher "total lag," than some of the IPS+TN panels due to the slow pixel transitions, but are nearly delay free like a CRT compared to other displays with lower "total lag," which have noticeable input lag.

useful to separate the two where possible i agree, but at the end of the day what's the point in having a zero signal processing lag if the response times are so high that the overall perceived user lag is much bigger? It all adds up to the same user experience, a delay in the image they are seeing compared with the output of the graphics card, causing delays in fast gaming etc. The signal processing lag might be useful from a technical and measurement point of view, but ultimately it's about identifying the overall perceived delay for the user, whether that's measured overall with an oscilloscope system or compared with a CRT showing no delay.

0 delay=no affect on user controls. Ghosting doesn't make mouse movement feel slower, it's something one sees. A prime example of this is my old F2308MX or the BenQ EW/VW/BL24 VA panels (I've owned the EW2420) which have almost no input lag, but very high pixel response times. They feel just like a CRT, when switching to my high res IPS & PLS I feel slightly handicapped due to the floatiness of the controls. It's harder to aim and carry out precise movements on my high res IPS, vs. seeing smearing on a VA panel.

A display can have extremely low pixel response times & "total latency/lag," but if the over drive is not properly implemented it doesn't matter. The BenQ XL2420T is a prime example of this. It has 2-4ms pixel response times, but tons of overshoot. The "total lag," on the BenQ XL2420T @60hz is less than half of my S27A850D's "total input lag," but it has way more obvious ghosting while the Samsung feels slower. This is why pixel response times & input lag should remain separate.

PRAD measured 13ms on the S27A950D @120hz, I get 12ms vs my CRT

PRAD measured 3.4ms on the BenQ XL2420T @120hz, which I put against my VG236H. They tied, and when I compared to the VG236H against my CRT I get 3ms. My S27A850D measurements are also only around a few ms off of PRAD's, not double. Vega & 10e also use the SMT Tool 2.0 and have used a few of the same displays, we all get similar numbers.

Last edited:
So i did order this beauty today will get it next week so i hope i did a good choose ´between this or the dell u3011. Will post some screenshots of it when playing some games and of the screen:)

I'm thinking of picking this up and selling my Apple Cinema DIsplay for it.

I just picked up a few of them. I got 2 at MicroCenter for $800.

Not fair, these things cost 950$+ in Canada.

To be fair the third one I bought still cost me $1k. I just happened to fall upon the deal at Microcenter while doing hours of research on different 27" models.

So I have had my first 970 now for about a week and a half (still waiting for Microcenter to ship the other 2 which they had listed at the store only 30 min away, of course I also ordered one from Amazon and it arrived the next day....). My initial impressions so far are:

-Glossy screen, suprisingly it doesn't bother me at all. I am very, very, very sensitive to glare. Read that ULTRA sensitive to glare to the point that I can't even watch TV at some people's houses. However, this screen doesn't seem to have as much glare as I have seen on others, and I do have fairly good lighting setup in my office to keep direct light away, still its not bad.

-The adjustments are better than I thought. I was upset it didn't have VESA mounts, but actually, the adjusts have worked well.

-Touch controls. Another thing to get used to, but they aren't too bad to deal with and look nice I guess. Better than having them on the screen in my opinion, less distracting.

- Picture. Phenomenal imho. The color has been spot on, I haven't noticed any lag or ghosting in games and everything just looks smooth and accurate.

-Also, no dead pixels.

The only real complaint I have regarding this monitor right now would still have to be that there is no VESA mount. Seems like something that is trivial and could have been added, but as the adjustments have worked great so far, I am not too concerned about it anymore.

Hello [H]all,

I bought this monitor and now I'm wondering wheter this is "normal" IPS glow or does this justify me get a new one?

Completely dark room, brightness is at about 54, sRGB mode.

OVa2yYK.jpg

(dont mind the red dot somewhere in the middle of the screen, that's my old camera. The bright white "pixel" in the bottom right corner is the mouse :)

Looks very similar to mine, which i got 7 days ago as well. The stuff on mine moves when i move my head, so i think it is the glow for me anyway.

Mine looks the same as yours. And I also have big problem with this (maybe only in my head so I post here to ask).

I came from trinitron CRT (died after 11 years), on my workplace I have EIZO S-PVA display and some other lcd displays, worse or acceptable. I bought Samsung for my hackintosh because I could not find adapter that will work with my graphic card for shure (amd5750) with Apple Cinema LED Display.

I am pleased with desktop performance, but totally disapointed with performance for tv, movie or slideshov at full screen. Blacks are not blacks, pictures are dimed on gray background instead contrasty images on black background, movies also. I lost details in shadows and pictures captured on dusk, sunset or by night, all not looking good as I used to, they are dimmed. Also I think that for that money contrast and brigtness could be better. On bright movies and pictures that is not the problem only I wish little more brightness and contrast. But OK I payed cheeaper than ACD so good, I can live with that but not with that blacks performance.

Few days ago I was in apple center looking Apple Cinema Display and black is black colors are warmer and saturated (ok I realize I could do that on Samsung with calibration to my taste and I know that ACD is not calibrated ). On the other hand place was very well lit, but all in all blacks looks much better, viewing angles also. On Samsung I can see very quickly changes when I step aside. I was at first shocked that a movie looks better on simple cheeap HD Vivax lcd tv for three times lover sum of money but I was thinking after someone here wrote that this is problem for all ips/pls monitors that this is normal.

As I said someone here wrote that ips/pls glow is same on all monitors, and on several places people saying that Samsung is way better than ACD.

But that is not what I see two days ago. Have I faulty device? I would not say so, but levels of blacks and washed night shots looks to me like they are displayed on TN panel.
I did not see that on ACD but again that was on very good ligtning in the store. Definetly I will go to see again and run some tests but for now I am very disappointed. Desktop experience, lightroom all that is ok but movie, slideshow in full screen and TV very, very disappointing especialy considering the price and ACD performance.

What is yours opinions on that take, and specially versus ACD?

Maybe as all in three user ( photography, TV multimedia, ocasional gaming) I should go for ACD?
Aside factory calibration, sRGB, response time 5 vs. 12 ms (btw I did not realize that pure sRGB is that dull and bright without a contrast, my pictures now look totally different than on old CRT monitor and all the others lcd monitors. They tend to be in red and yellow warmer tones as I liked that way, but now they look more green, but on the other monitors they still look pretty equally) it looks to me that ACD is way better.

Is our Samsung really better when blacks shadows in movies, tv, youtube videos and slideshows are in question? I think for now, not.

Did someone make comparaison side by side between S27B970D and Apple Cinema LED Display or maybe I have faulty unit?I tried pretty much everything on settings side and it looks to me that monitor is not malfunctioning, but why movie with black bars in big window look much much better than in full screen mode?Dynamic contrast helps a little but it looks to me like primitive and obtrusive method, on Windows no change either so this is not OS thing.

Why so many people here said that Samsung is better when I see opposite?Can someone help with that dilemma? Aside testing in store I do not see another way than to buy ACD and see what to keep. Samsung in my country cannot be seen in store prior buying so I order it from web, I was thinking that it can not be worse than ACD but I think now that it was not so wise.At first it look to me that this is miles away from ACD when it comes to movies etc.

Please tell me that it is my imagination or I have faulty unit :confused:

Last edited:
I totally agreed with what you wrote . The contrast is really bad on this monitor it seems everything has a white fog to it from how bad the blacks display , ive see 3 other people besides me ethier return these or sale them and lose money . . The acd is definately a better monitor if calibrated correctly .

Hello [H]all,

I bought this monitor and now I'm wondering wheter this is "normal" IPS glow or does this justify me get a new one?

Completely dark room, brightness is at about 54, sRGB mode.

sRGB mode is known to kill contrast on this monitor.

I totally agreed with what you wrote . The contrast is really bad on this monitor it seems everything has a white fog to it from how bad the blacks display , ive see 3 other people besides me ethier return these or sale them and lose money . . The acd is definately a better monitor if calibrated correctly .

So I am right uff, not answer that I want to hear, it will be tough chore to sell this for that kind of money I payed. More I looked it, more I am prone to say that I saw better blacks on some TN panels.

sRGB mode is known to kill contrast on this monitor.

But this is definitely to much for my taste, damn sellers, in my country you can only see semi high end monitor on picture and in Apple store.

But from where caming so enthusiastic reviews and posts?To be honest I did not see any lcd beter than my late trinitron so I was in peace as I thinking that there is no better choice, but now after I see ACD I am crazy.I pay 1.011 dollars for
that damn thing with milky fog across dark night scenes in Avatar. And now lets go back to ACD and slower response time but better blacks.

Is it any more experiences with ACD versus s27B970D or black levels?What posters with positive feelings think about that?Are you still satisfied?Did you see other IPS panels or ACD?

Last edited:
The ACD has the same contrast/black levels as the 970D. The glass covered black bezel looks so dark it makes the blacks look gray along with the internal reflections.

My 970D has a 950:1 contrast ratio @140cdm/2, and the glass covered Dell S2740L I had did 1200:1, but the blacks still looked gray.

Example vs. Glossy monitor
http://cdn.overclock.net/a/aa/900x900px-LL-aa2a52a9_SANY0057.jpeg

The 970D has higher measured contrast/deeper blacks than the CrossOver on the right, but the CrossOver's blacks look deeper since it is a regular glossy display.

Well I do not know what to say. I have not much experience with LCD displays because I was working mainly in desktop or photoshop and never have time for movies slideshows, tv or youtube at eizo display. Other lcd displays I have worked on was mediocre or acceptable, but who cares for details when it is not yours or it is cheep. At home I had trinitron CRT and I was happy. So I did not pay attention to black levels. But few week ago I saw a cheep hd tv and was amazed how good picture is compared to lg and samsung tv from both sides so I was thinking that lcd monitor must be tons better for watching movies.

I was dissapointed with monitor first day an now when I sow ACD it looks to me much but much better. Almost to take my credit card from pocket and take it home (I was looking same video on you tube like at home).
But then I was thinking: ok place have very good lightning and I know that if I turn on all lights in my room samsung blacks look automatically better so I stop to rethink. Because this was main place where I find real useful informations before buying display I come to ask what other users have to say.

Is it possible that all this reviews do not mentioned so obvious flaw, or I have somewhat faulty unit?
Well all I can say I lost my sleep over this. so much money and no happiness.I tried to convince myself that this is ok but alas no go.

Hm Crossover really look better.

OH and thanks for answers and efforts so far.

Last edited:
Would you recommend the 970 over the S27A850D ? I'm using the 850 for 8 months now and it started to show image retention (temporal burn in) of explorer windows. Im going to RMA it and then probably sell and step up to the 970.

Would you recommend the 970 over the S27A850D ? I'm using the 850 for 8 months now and it started to show image retention (temporal burn in) of explorer windows. I'm going to RMA it and then probably sell and step up to the 970.

No, the 970D will be a downgrade in terms of blacks & will also be extremely reflective. If you want the 850D to match the 970D's preset color accuracy get an i1 display pro colorimeter and calibrate it instead of selling it for a loss.

The NEC P242W's coating is basically the same as the 850D's . Example 2 Think of the NEC as a smaller version of the 850D.

Back