S27B970 Impressions.

Please post a thorough review when you get a chance.

A lot of us are extremely curious about this one.

Was thinking of selling my Apple 27" LED for this, since I could run dual in the future.

Can anyone recommend a retailor in the the US for this monitor. I do not like Newegg's return policy but would like to buy the monitor.
Thansk

Okay guys I got the Leonidas 300 30" by Yamakasi today. It's just like the Dell's and HP's but not as accurate.

AG coating is a deal breaker on this one though. The Samsung is just better in almost every way. If the 30" Yamakasi was glossy instead of hard AG coated matte, I'd probably keep the 30", but I can't stand the AG coating on these panels.

For $700 or less is the Yamakasi worth it? Sure. It's a CCFL backlit though. Personally I don't care but some might. Also, it's not height adjustable.

Backlight bleed isn't a big issue, it has some small uniformity issues in the lower part of the panel but it's not the worst I've seen and basically what's to be expected from most LCD's.

AG coating might not bother some people if they don't compare it next to glass, and some like glossy, but it's just too much for me. I will be selling the Yamakasi and keeping the Samsung.

Guess i will wait more. It's delayed this screen here in sweden dont know why so i will take longer time for me to do a review of this screen and a movie:(

Guess i will wait more. It's delayed this screen here in sweden dont know why so i will take longer time for me to do a review of this screen and a movie:(
be nice to see some more reviews , cause up to this point , there not enough info out to spend $1200 on a screen that may not do more than a $400 dollar screen , im hopping that the motion is alot better than the korean monitors , if not then its a bust

Mine was delayed as well, no new date specified.
Having second thoughts, and also considering getting two new s27a950d for surround instead (roughly the same price as the 27b970 since i already have one 950), or paying a bit more to try the 40" samsung es8000 tv, which looks quite awesome (around 2000:1 contrast, 30ms input lag, fast refresh va-panel etc).

Yet another useless review. Says absolutely nothing that I couldn't have said and I haven't even seen the monitor before.

Yet another useless review. Says absolutely nothing that I couldn't have said and I haven't even seen the monitor before.

Agreed. We need to wait until prad or tftcentral come out with a proper review.

General sites that give monitor reviews are basically useless. They give very very broad reviews, quite often putting an emphasis on things like the color of the bezel, or usb ports, rather than the screen itself. I recall one review site (pc world, I think) giving a middling review to an old eizo, stating the monitor doesn't do anything besides provide excellent image quality... like they expected it to make toast or something.

I see TFTCentral have it listed as coming soon and their twitter feed said it's expected in tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have a full review soon :)

This wasn't an in-depth review, note the title of the thread "impressions" not "review" or "in-depth review".

This wasn't an in-depth review, note the title of the thread "impressions" not "review" or "in-depth review".

I believe he was referring to the link directly above his post. The one going to a site called 'expert reviews', with a header of Samsung Series 9 S27B970D review. So it was meant as a review, but those types of sites won't go into the same detail that most here are interested in -- at least not enough to warrant a $1200 purchase.

On this monitor with the hardware calibration feature, if I grab a supported calibrator, it saves it to an internal LUT, not a software profile? Basically what has put me off spending the dough on a monitor with really good color & calibrating is the idea that I may have things that aren't color profile aware, like games. Diminishes the usefulness a little.

NKDietrich
The profile is stored inside the monitor itself. The normal windows profiles are also created when you do the hardware calibration, but they don't get loaded and they dont replace the default windows profiles. You need to do it manually if you want windows to use it. That is a perfect approach, imho.
But I musr warn you, as an owner of this monitor, that the color homogenity is terrible on this display, and comparing to eizo and nec quality it is laughable. White solid pattern is full of grey spots - you just see it it as you move a white window over the screen. And in the left lower corner the white almost turns into gray...

I really don't beleive those guys who claim perfect color homogenity on their sb970s - whether they are blind, or trying to justify 1200$ they spent on this monitor and deliberately don't see the flows, or they are simply Samsung employees.

I really don't beleive those guys who claim perfect color homogenity on their sb970s - whether they are blind, or trying to justify 1200$ they spent on this monitor and deliberately don't see the flows, or they are simply Samsung employees.

You're absolutely correct. There is no possible way that someone else could have had a different experience than you.

But I must admit one thing - this is the best offer in 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 range for gaming. You don't see this unevenness in color in games and movies. The image is crisp and clear, very fast response times (one month of use of this display primarily in bf3 allows me to say that) and colors pop...Very little ghosting too. Really nothing more to wish for, except maybe for even more response time on pair with 120hz TNs, even fewer ghosting and more contrast. Like 3x times more:cool: Oh and It's too glossy.

cant wait for this monitor to release in sweden since its really slow with the release date here wich i dont understand why its taking so long:(

Also thoose who already have this monitor why dont u make a video of it in youtube?_( there is no good out there right now exept the one of NCIX!

I picked my monitor up from Wal Mart yesterday. I am not an expert but my first impressions are that the color is great. I set the screen to sRGB and to my untrained eye it does not appear to need calibration.
My major complaint is the speakers are not what I would expect on a pro monitor and the displayport cable is too short. I had to move my computer to get the screen placed where I need it. Do any of you know of a good 6' displayport cable. I am having a hard time finding a 1.2 cable(my preference).
I do not see any bleed.
For those who are interested in calibration, the manuel says their software only works with xrite and konica Minolta devises.

Yeah, I'm using the sRGB preset roo. It is very good. Skyrim looks simply mindblowing - the best image quality in Skyrim of all the displays I tried so far. It is very close to how the eizo fs2331 sRGB preset looked like, but in 2560x1440 resolution and with less contrast.
I've set the brightness to 52%.

Nope, the contrsat isn't available from sRGB preset. Only brightness, sharpness and response rime (I find fastest to be the best option for gaming).

Just curious as to why there are such limited reviews of this panel as it has been available since May. With the new Dell 2713 using the same horrific anti-glare as the 2711 model, this display and the Apple 27" display have become my two choices. So far my Googling skills have only found an older CNET review and a NCIX video review, but no in depth reviews from the likes of TFT Central or Prad. Anyone know of any other reviews of this particular panel?

Last edited:
TFT Central should have a review up in the next few weeks

Just curious as to why there are such limited reviews of this panel as it has been available since May. With the new Dell 2713 using the same horrific anti-glare as the 2711 model, this display and the Apple 27" display have become my two choices. So far my Googling skills have only found an older CNET review and a NCIX video review, but no in depth reviews from the likes of TFT Central or Prad. Anyone know of any other reviews of this particular panel?

Yea,there is really bad reviews out there and for thoose people who are claming to say they have one havent done a review either exept in forums but no IRL video. It semms its delayed in the most contires for this monitor dont know why samsung just release a few of it.

but no in depth reviews from the likes of TFT Central or Prad. Anyone know of any other reviews of this particular panel?
We have just finished the tests for the new Samsung. Review will be online soon.

Best regards

Denis

We have just finished the tests for the new Samsung.

Can you provide us the input lag value ahead of time (I presume <14ms like the 850D) so people don't end up being deterred by TFT Central's incorrect 28ms value? :)

why is TFT Central's lag test wrong? the reviewer is using SMTT 2.0

Back