Ryzen 5900X overclocking help

I also setup a WHEA error custom view in Eventviewer to see which core was acting funky during any crash. Really helped in identifying which specific core needed adjusting. Also used CTR 2.1 to rank the cores in terms of quality, and then adjusted accordingly (I didn’t use its auto oc feature, only to see the ranking)

May I ask what brand of mobo you are using? I’m using an ASUS board as I’m also using the dynamic oc switcher for the times single thread performance is needed.
Using Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, have been monitoring CPU with Ryzen Master.

Doing some more fiddlin' with the OC. I was seeing temps lat night in the 70's while gaming... a few cores at 4.95ghz sustained and GPU fairly well loaded. With the amount of cooling I have I thought it was high. So aside from PBO2 per core negative offset to -25 & -30 on my best cores, I tried setting vcore to 1.25 which I had left at auto. Got into windows and blackscreened after a few minutes. Bumped it up to 1.3vcore and it seems to be running great now. Just got out of a BF5 session and the temps were hovering in the 50's! Will run some benchmarks tonight and hit it with some Prime95. Pretty jazzed about the temp drops so far.

Doing some more fiddlin' with the OC. I was seeing temps lat night in the 70's while gaming... a few cores at 4.95ghz sustained and GPU fairly well loaded. With the amount of cooling I have I thought it was high. So aside from PBO2 per core negative offset to -25 & -30 on my best cores, I tried setting vcore to 1.25 which I had left at auto. Got into windows and blackscreened after a few minutes. Bumped it up to 1.3vcore and it seems to be running great now. Just got out of a BF5 session and the temps were hovering in the 50's! Will run some benchmarks tonight and hit it with some Prime95. Pretty jazzed about the temp drops so far.

I'm confused, isn't pbo2 negative offsets am undervolt? So if you manually set before to 1.3, then are you overriding the pbo2 settings?

I'm confused, isn't pbo2 negative offsets am undervolt? So if you manually set before to 1.3, then are you overriding the pbo2 settings?
Honestly don't know, still trying to figure it out. I had the vcore set to auto. Only thing I can think is the pbo2 is reducing whatever the vcore is set to. If you let the motherboard decide it will send the kitchen sink to assure stability.

I don't know why people call CO an undervolt.. it is not undervolting :D

hwinfo.PNG

^^ I stopped using HWINFO for this CPU, it does not read the CPU speed properly... not sure what else it may be getting wrong.

So I did some more testing last night.

Gamed on the rig for a few hours and temps stayed awesum... a few cores at 4.95 steady.

Lost just a few points in Timespy.

This is what I get when Prime 95 is running, all core at about 4.6Ghz.

prime95 OC.jpg

However I found Cinebench was way off.. all cores only running at 3.8Ghz or so. Still fiddlin with that one but not a show stopper for me.

It reads the CPU just fine.. Ryzen Maser is a turd. You should do your clocking from the bios, less problems that way..

It reads the CPU just fine.. Ryzen Maser is a turd. You should do your clocking from the bios, less problems that way..
I do OC from the BIOS.. check the CPU downclock speeds in HWINFO.. they are not correct for this CPU.

HWiNFO64 v7.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why people call CO an undervolt.. it is not undervolting :D

Curve Optimizer is not an undervolt. Setting a negative offset is an undervolt. You could for example, use Curve Optimizer to potentially set a positive offset if you wanted, so it really comes down to the settings you use.

There seems to be a lot of lingering confusion regarding overclocking using Curve Optmizer compared to traditional overclocking. The first thing to understand is that traditional stability testing is nearly useless. The voltage is on a curve and changes depending on load conditions. When using curve optimizer with negative offsets, full-load is when your system will be least likely to BSOD or freeze, because your system is pumping extra voltage into the CPU during heavy load. Instability will generally occur during light load, where the voltage curve (it's a curve remember, not a single value) is at it's lowest. You are also not going to get the same boost clocks when all cores are loaded down simultaneously compared to when just one or a few cores are loaded down.

I've had really good results using Core Cycler, which will run Prime95 on one core and rotate through the cores one by one. Then if you do get a BSOD or freeze, you can find out via event log after you reboot which core caused the problem and dial in your per-core offsets accordingly.

^^ Yup. Still don't have a full grasp of how these work together yet. I took RM's word for which cores were best when I set my per core negative offset. Seems to be working fine so far.. could just as easily be dumb luck... lol.

So I had my best 4 cores set to -30 offset, the rest to -25. Got a black screen in the middle of a game last night, same thing happened when I had all core set to -30 offset. I reset to -25 all core offset. With the Vcore set to 1.3v the temps are still wonderful, under load I'm still seeing low 60's.

I don't get why people slave so much over PBO. I played with it and all I got out of it was my best single core performance. Multi was mediocre. I simply manually OC for either all core(single ccd chips) or CCX oc for multi ccd chips. That and good cooling(ie Fans, 180-200l/h flow rate, blocks, rads) and good Ambient temps.

^^^ On my system PBO took all of 3 minutes to setup and yielded stable results nearly immediately.

You guys are all awesome. I am still leaning too. I don't know the ins and outs but reading posts like these sure helps.

Back