Ryzen 5900X overclocking help

You can't but 2 is fine and would give you a perfect balance to 3 120 intake in the front.

I have the ASUS TUF which has best air cooling out of the bunch. 65C is with 2000+ sustained clocks after hours of gaming. With my 8086K it never broke 62 C.
I have the Asus Tuf RTX 3080 , PC gaming sessions would heat up my CPU but short Cinebench runs were fine.
Just my 2 cents there is no real difference in having higher CPU clocks on the AMD Ryzen CPU's,AMD pretty much maxed out the CPU's but it is fun to overclock and that extra Mhz might help in some stuff.

Dropped 15 °C going from top rad mount to front rad mount,bards down on radiator

Top-Mount.png

So higher temps does not equal higher AC bill. Greater power draw would. Improving your cooling solution will not lower your power draw (running lover volts will but not by a huge amount (~50w or so)) but either way it's splitting hairs since if you compared the power draw on the 5900x to your overclocked 8086k the difference would be like having an extra lightbulb in your room. 83c is fine. Take if from someone who has been down this road of chasing temps with AMD before and stop stressing about it and trying to throw more money at something that isn't broken. If anything in your setup is going to make you need to turn up your AC it's gonna be your 3080. A lot of people don't seem to think about the fact that these new GPU's are monsters with power draw and you are dumping all that heat straight up in to your rad. If i was going to change anything in your current setup it would be moving your radiator to the front of your case which will allow it to intake cooler air. Then stop worrying about overclocking and simply set a negative offset of 0.1v and call it a day.

I am actually about to do this sometime this week. Given how the new founders edition cards are and high End GPUs. I am going to look in to mounting the thing on the front side where I have my intake fans to pull in cool and set the intake fans on too as exhaust. Right now my radiator is exhausting off top. Idk why I didn’t do that? May be because of fancy lights on intake fans lol. Unless Ofcourse I run in to 3090 hitting my fans once I put the radiator on the front side. But I think I should be good and it does make sense to get that done since I’ll be putting in a 5950x soon.

I have the Asus Tuf RTX 3080 , PC gaming sessions would heat up my CPU but short Cinebench runs were fine.
Just my 2 cents there is no real difference in having higher CPU clocks on the AMD Ryzen CPU's,AMD pretty much maxed out the CPU's but it is fun to overclock and that extra Mhz might help in some stuff.

Dropped 15 °C going from top rad mount to front rad mount,bards down on radiator

View attachment 313424

Good to know. About to swap mine to front this week.

Btw, I just spent 1+ hours of playing Cyberpunk 2077. Now I have all possible things enabled but the CPU never boosted beyond 4.7 Gs (with the exception of odd 4.8 here or there). Usually ran at 4625 and at 62 C. This is with the 1.25 volts. I am really pissed off because the CPU can surely boost higher than this. Will see how far it boosts with auto volts.

:rolleyes:

You'll be GPU bound with cyberpunk and a 3080. I am playing on a 5600x/3090 combo on PBO mode and see 60's for temps after hours of gaming on it. 5600x load hovers around 70% usage, your 5900x should be using even less.

I have slightly better all core multi thread scores with an all core manual clock 4.65 ghz, but the temps hover in the 80s and has not proven 100% stable. PBO nets me ~4.65 while playing and is stable.

I had a 5600X as well before this and can confirm the same shenanigans lol.

Oh well it is what it is. Maybe new bios does something for me. For now will keep the settings I have and call it.

Seems my PC is working as advertised. I really hope in next iteration of PBO they fix the stupid overvolting of the CPU. It is completely unnecessary. The CPU should be able to boost 4.8-4.9 MC easily at 1.3 volts or some such.

You can gain some performance out of an all core overclock in some multi-threaded applications but it's normally a detriment to single-threaded performance and any applications that leverage that or benefit from higher single-core clocks such as gaming.
BTW this is part of why Dark Hero has so much hype, other than the marketing-naming making the youtube kids swoon, because it's the only MB that is able to preserve the single threaded perf while boosting multi. This should've been a platform-wide feature, AMD.

Last edited:
BTW this is part of why Dark Hero has so much hype, other than the marketing-naming making the youtube kids swoon, because it's the only MB that is able to preserve the single threaded perf while boosting multi. This should've been a platform-wide feature, AMD.
Seems to me it is only a bios fix and not directly related to the board components itself.

Seems to me it is only a bios fix and not directly related to the board components itself.
ASUS has claimed there are physical/electrical differences to the feature that only that board has, when asked why they can't expand the feature to other X570 boards (like the regular Crosshair VIII Hero). Who knows.

And fwiw there isn't a lot of data on how much real-world diff the feature actually makes. Mainly a der8auer video where he raves about the feature in frequency graphs.

Last edited:
Yes maybe too early to tell. They are milking the shit out of that board though. I am ok paying half the price for a Tomahawk instead. It’s not like that extra 100 MHz is going to net me anything in real world gaming. Might as well fix the stupid PBO algorithm for that to function properly and run 4.7 GHz all core instead of 4.2 GHz that it runs while using Cinebench.

I will try the front mount. Problem is I have 3 140mm fans at the front and not 120 mm.

I don’t worry about my GPU as it runs at 65C already. Yes I know it is throwing heat in the case but it was doing that with 8086K.

About bios shorting I know how to do it. How else would I waste 4 hours trying to overclock this thing lol.
my 5900x twins arrived today. I'm going to update to v151 bios, install CPU, AIO (first time in my life) and GPU.

BTW... MSI released today new BIOS for some mobos with "Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.1.9.0" including unify and godlike x570 mobos. We should see in few days new bios for our tomahawk x570. For feck sake I hope all the parts are working.... Wish me luck, because I will need it. After waiting for 4 weeks for CPUs to complete to builds for my kids....grrrrrr

EDIT: to clear BIOS (page of 40 of the manual)

1609268818877.png

Last edited:
So... I've only put together first rig...
First 5900x CPU had 3 pins bent, I fixed with xacto knife. I wish AMD would make the package more 'travel' friendly. :)
Everything seems to be working fine. My case fans are out of whack and need to be adjusted/tweaked in the BIOS. They are on the loud side (which is ok for now).
I'm using default setitings in 151 BIOS with XMP on. RAM running at its default settings and needs some tweaking Micron E-die.

The scores seem to be a little low in CR20. I get 8071 MC and 621 SC. This is with PBO auto (off). The temps in HWInfo64 CPU(Tctl/Tdie) about 68.5C max after running. CPU(Tctl/Tdie) about 41C idle. AIO water temp is 24.80C (according to iCUE).

Tomorrow I will continue with setup. Please let me know, If you guys have some suggestion / tips. I'm AMD noob and I'm still learning.

Mem01.png

So... I've only put together first rig...
First 5900x CPU had 3 pins bent, I fixed with xacto knife. I wish AMD would make the package more 'travel' friendly. :)
Everything seems to be working fine. My case fans are out of whack and need to be adjusted/tweaked in the BIOS. They are on the loud side (which is ok for now).
I'm using default setitings in 151 BIOS with XMP on. RAM running at its default settings and needs some tweaking Micron E-die.

The scores seem to be a little low in CR20. I get 8071 MC and 621 SC. This is with PBO auto (off). The temps in HWInfo64 CPU(Tctl/Tdie) about 68.5C max after running. CPU(Tctl/Tdie) about 41C idle. AIO water temp is 24.80C (according to iCUE).

Tomorrow I will continue with setup. Please let me know, If you guys have some suggestion / tips. I'm AMD noob and I'm still learning.

View attachment 313954
Update your BIOS. There is a new Agesa version out for your board and CPU. Maybe help with some performance.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

I had a 5600X as well before this and can confirm the same shenanigans lol.

Oh well it is what it is. Maybe new bios does something for me. For now will keep the settings I have and call it.

Seems my PC is working as advertised. I really hope in next iteration of PBO they fix the stupid overvolting of the CPU. It is completely unnecessary. The CPU should be able to boost 4.8-4.9 MC easily at 1.3 volts or some such.

Not all chips though. Nvidia, AMD, Intel will go by the curve for the volts. Basically what guaranteed to be stable with the entire set of chips not just a few. Volts you see are under low load under higher load volts do go down. I am getting 5950x soon but with the 5800x I was getting 4850 single core and 4800-4850 all core boost most of the time during gaming. All core stress load running cinebench loop was around 4650+ which is pretty damn decent for stock chips working on auto.

However one can tweak their chip to see whats the best they can do. I just changed my AIP to the front and put my exhaust fans on top. My temps are even lower now during gaming. Might wanna give that a shot if you are in the same boat with AIO on top. Set my fans on AIO as intake. Shall see how 5950x goes.

Thanks, but I'm already on v151. I honestly think my scores are although low are fine. I will start playing with PBO and other settings.
oh shoot, I swore I saw agesa 1.1.9.0 on your boards page. I bet it comes this week. other thoughts if you haven't tweaked your sub timings are are using xmp, you could probably tighten those timings up without xmp.

Not all chips though. Nvidia, AMD, Intel will go by the curve for the volts. Basically what guaranteed to be stable with the entire set of chips not just a few. Volts you see are under low load under higher load volts do go down. I am getting 5950x soon but with the 5800x I was getting 4850 single core and 4800-4850 all core boost most of the time during gaming. All core stress load running cinebench loop was around 4650+ which is pretty damn decent for stock chips working on auto.

However one can tweak their chip to see whats the best they can do. I just changed my AIP to the front and put my exhaust fans on top. My temps are even lower now during gaming. Might wanna give that a shot if you are in the same boat with AIO on top. Set my fans on AIO as intake. Shall see how 5950x goes.
The problem is I am only getting 4.2 GHz all core boost in CR20. It is the same with the new build posted above and why our scores are lower than what reviewers are posting in CR20.

In games I am boosting to 4.65-4.8 all core and 5.1 single core.

The problem is I am only getting 4.2 GHz all core boost in CR20. It is the same with the new build posted above and why our scores are lower than what reviewers are posting in CR20.

In games I am boosting to 4.65-4.8 all core and 5.1 single core.

I will check next week what I get with my 5950x on my CH 8 wifi mobo. I normally leave shit on auto with these processors and not mess with PBO too much and make sure I cool the the best I can and tweak the memory. I moved my radiator to the front pulling cold air in and seems to be running better to be ready for 5950x.

Might be a tomahawk bios issue. What do I know? Many people on Reddit also have their proc only boosting to 4.1-4.2 Gs with PBO enabled and custom volts. This is in CR20.

You are doing it wrong. (so did I, until I figured things out). I'll post more details in a few hours, have to leave now.
In a nutshell, less voltage = more boosts for MC and SC under PBO2. So you need to drop the voltage using Curve Optimizer specifically, but also potentially using negative offset for vCore (auto with negative offset). And balance out your EDC.

My chip was also boosting to 4.2 MC, until I did all this. Now it goes to 4.6 all core sustained. This is effective clocks in HWInfo64. The perf clocks show 4.8 boost across all cores.

Last edited:
You are doing it wrong. (so did I, until I figured things out). I'll post more details in a few hours, have to leave now.
In a nutshell, less voltage = more boosts for MC and SC under PBO2. So you need to drop the voltage using Curve Optimizer specifically, but also potentially using negative offset for vCore (auto with negative offset). And balance out your EDC.

My chip was also boosting to 4.2 MC, until I did all this. Not it goes to 4.6 all core sustained. This is effective clocks in HWInfo64. The perf clocks show 4.8 boost across all cores.
can you please share your settings / screenshots for noobs like me :-( Can you please post your CR15 and CR20 scores for SC/MC config. I've played with curve optimizer and I don't see any benefit over using PBO. I will post my scores later on.

My settings are here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kmryeg/my_5900x_final_oc/

My scores are not the absolute highest, but that is because I am not using the PBO2 clock boost. If I was able to do +200 like many can, I would have very similar scores. For my CPU, +200 wasn't stable, so I ended up concentrating on undeclocking instead of pushign every last MHz.
KickAssCop and I we are using BIOS based on 1.1.0.0 AGESA. Perhaps 1.1.9.0 improves on curve optimizer and vcore offset. I don't think vcore offset works with the current BIOS I have. I'm just finishing my second 5900x build. I will post R23 results tonight.

Reactions: MaxT
like this
My settings are here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kmryeg/my_5900x_final_oc/

My scores are not the absolute highest, but that is because I am not using the PBO2 clock boost. If I was able to do +200 like many can, I would have very similar scores. For my CPU, +200 wasn't stable, so I ended up concentrating on undeclocking instead of pushign every last MHz.
Thanks for sharing. Will give it a shot today. Tried vcore offset and CPU doesn’t go above 3.7 GHz.

Last edited:
Ok after 2 days I'm done with two 5900x builds with 3080 tuf GPU builds for my kids. The specs are in my sig.
I'm using the latest bios for tomahawk x570 based on AGESA 1.1.0.0. Fresh install of 20H2 windows 10, x570 drivers directly from AMD, latest network driver. So....
I totally agree with KickAssCop that at least with current BIOS (others might disagree including gerardfraser who unfortunately sold his 5800x and moved to the blue team) there is not much difference between settings PBO/PBO2/Cure Optimizer. The differences are negligible. At the moment I have PBO on auto with power limits set on my motherboard and 255w. The RAM (micron E-die) is running at 3800 (1900FCLK) with tighter settings 16-19-16-16-36.
The results I'm getting on both rigs are:

RC15: MC 3770 and SC 263
RC20: MC 8553 and SC 620
RC23: MC 22285 and SC 1577 <-- comparing to MaxT tweaked settings using AGESA 1.1.9.0 BIOS (Asus TUF x570) MC 23339, SC 1611

I can post aida screenshot with my RAM benchmark results. The latency is about 63ns.

Both systems using Corsair h100i se platinum AIO hover around +40C in idle, +60C-ish in single-core and +75C-ish in multi-core benchmarks.

Overall I'm very happy with the system, once the BIOS eventually matures we'll be able to get even few more points from RCxx testing :).

I've just installed PCs in kids rooms, so I think I'm past stage of testing. If I see more mature bios I will upgrade then.

On the side note i totally recommend undervolting their 30x0 GPUs. I'm getting slightly better than stock results with 30W-50W less power (~3C less GPU temps). I'm running 3080 TUF at 1900@875mv (very lazy) with +500Mhz on RAM (using MSIAfterburner 463Beta4Build15910).
Asus did very good job with TUF series, the cards run super quiet with max 60% (default fan curve) at 60C max.

Port Royal Score was ~11500.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions...

1609440888428.png

1609441077671.png

Thanks for sharing. Will give it a shot today. Tried vcore offset and CPU doesn’t go above 3.7 GHz.
I've seen this behaviour... I think we have to wait until AGESA 1.1.9.0 (at least it works on Asus mobo with 1.1.9.0) . According to this:

CPU Frequency Cannot Go Turbo Frequency
Note. This issue should be common issue on all motherboard vendor

This issue happens when using Ryzen 5000 CPU + PBO enable + adjust CPU voltage
Symptom: CPU frequency locks at base frequency and will not boost to turbo
Solution: No ETA

Nice systems.
Thanks, much appriciated. Please let us know how AIO move goes and if you have any success trying MaxT settings. I'm affraid you have to wait for new AGESA 1.1.9.0 BIOS.

BTW: try undervolting your 3080 TUF gpu... it is totally worth it and easy!!!

Great systems and great GPU's.I agree not much difference in using the AMD Ryzen with ALl core overclock/PBO/PBO+Curve optimizer but I personally liked seeing AMD above 5000Mhz while playing PC Games.

I am coming back to red team after I find a deal on 5900X/5950X ,I am an idiot I owned 7 AMD Ryzen CPU's in the last two years.
I am running my Intel build I just done at 5200Mhz and there is just no fun in Intel.AMD screwing around is all kinds of fun if you like tweaking.

Great systems and great GPU's.I agree not much difference in using the AMD Ryzen with ALl core overclock/PBO/PBO+Curve optimizer but I personally liked seeing AMD above 5000Mhz while playing PC Games.

I am coming back to red team after I find a deal on 5900X/5950X ,I am an idiot I owned 7 AMD Ryzen CPU's in the last two years.
I am running my Intel build I just done at 5200Mhz and there is just no fun in Intel.AMD screwing around is all kinds of fun if you like tweaking.
Great news :). I cannot wait for your test results with upcoming bios. What mobo are u going to be buying?

Great news :). I cannot wait for your test results with upcoming bios. What mobo are u going to be buying?
I used to buy only the best of the best Motherboards and that was ASUS. Last 10 years been buying a lot of MSI Motherboards. I am using a ASUS Tuf Gaming Wifi Z490 with Intel right now LOL. Cheap board works great. I will be going Aus Tuf X570 gaming ,still cheap motherboard but will work fine with what I want with 5900X/5950X. Just to be clear though if I can not find a good deal on these AMD CPU's I will not buy them. I like PC gear and have no brand loyalty ,I just like cheap stuff and buying crap and playing with it.
Also looks like I had the best 5800X out there on the internet and maybe I should have kept it ,for some stupid reason J/K I play games at 4K and any CPU will do for me.

Got 5950x. Asus CH8 wifi mobo. PBO Auto doesn't do shit so the the chip won't boost much under heavy load. Gaming load was fine.

Enabled PBO + 100 and curve optimizer to -10, -15 rebooted the computer. But -10 has been stable. Cinebench went from 4ghz all core boost to 4.5-4.6ghz. Gaming is higher obviously. But this is pretty damn amazing for a 16 core chip. Here is a screenshot of AIDA 64. Memory is running at 3733Mhz 16-16-16-32 tweaked with DRAM calculator. Latency is around 56-58ns depending on the run. So below 60 is pretty dope. Temps are around 82c stress testing but gaming is in the 60s.

So if your PBO is on Auto go in and enable it to see if your chip boosts higher.

Load under full stress test is about 200w. Not too bad stressing all 16 cores to the max.

1609470187131.png

Last edited:
Where is this curve optimizer? Finally got my WC build going, but I can't seem to get the core temps under control, this beast will easily hit 75-80 while the water temp is at a cool 33c.. :X. Tried to reseat the block, and even used liquid metal TIM. It helped a bit.

What temps are y'all getting?
Cpu likes to run 70-77 on a CB run, 4.5 all core. (Seems high?)
On the same loop my gpu is getting to ~50 (3090 fe)

Last edited:
Where is this curve optimizer? Finally got my WC build going, but I can't seem to get the core temps under control, this beast will easily hit 75-80 while the water temp is at a cool 33c.. :X. Tried to reseat the block, and even used liquid metal TIM. It helped a bit.

What temps are y'all getting?
Cpu likes to run 70-77 on a CB run, 4.5 all core. (Seems high?)
On the same loop my gpu is getting to ~50 (3090 fe)

No that’s not high. Those temps are fine. CB is like a stress test in a way and will give you higher temps. I hit 82.

You guys stress too much about temps. We are talking 12-16 cores here. My intel 8 cores used to hit 75+ under heavy load with 8 core easy.

Gaming load the temps are in the 50s for me. You didn’t really expect temps in the 60s running stress test right? Nothing wrong there 😊

Back