Running Windows 10 Mobile On An In-Car Display

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sorry officer, I was just trying to finish up this Excel sheet.

If you own a car with an HDMI port in your display, you might be able to hook up a Windows 10 Mobile phone and have it work on that screen. Windows Central reader Matthew Johnson alerted us to his experiment on Twitter with a Pioneer in-car display. As you can see from the image, connecting the phone to its HDMI-in port seems to work. Johnson notes that the display is not a touchscreen, so he can't actually access Windows 10 Mobile directly on his car, but it does show that Windows 10 Mobile's Continuum feature could be used in some vehicles with the right hardware inside.

Is there something special to this other then that the display is acting as a monitor?

I have never heard of this featue, and it looks like it emulates a Windows environment on the phone when using external hardware. Can only do basic stuff like look at pictures and browse? Or can it run programs of some kind?

P.S. does "Continuum" remind anyone of this game?

hs.png

Is there something special to this other then that the display is acting as a monitor?

No, Android phones support HDMI out too. If you're just using HDMI out you could hook up anything, including your laptop so it's not very important that it's Windows 10 Mobile.

Next story: Running PS4 On An In-Car Display

No, Android phones support HDMI out too. If you're just using HDMI out you could hook up anything, including your laptop so it's not very important that it's Windows 10 Mobile.

Next story: Running PS4 On An In-Car Display
Seriously, lol. My Honda doesn't support Carplay or Android auto, but it has a HDMI input for the front screen (only works while in park), and it works with my iphone 5s, HTC A9, and xbox 360.

However, newer Hondas dispense with the front HDMI port, since that was part of a short-lived idea within Honda (HDMI-in still exists for the rear screens, on some of the larger Hondas).

Seriously, lol. My Honda doesn't support Carplay or Android auto, but it has a HDMI input for the front screen (only works while in park), and it works with my iphone 5s, HTC A9, and xbox 360.

However, newer Hondas dispense with the front HDMI port, since that was part of a short-lived idea within Honda (HDMI-in still exists for the rear screens, on some of the larger Hondas).

I keep hoping someone will find out how to allow the HDMI to work while the car is in motion. It would be awesome for long trips so one can watch and the driver can drive and listen.

I keep hoping someone will find out how to allow the HDMI to work while the car is in motion. It would be awesome for long trips so one can watch and the driver can drive and listen.

It's tied to the handbrake switch. When you release the handbrake, certain functions get disabled for safety. Easily bypassed, but highly not recommended. It's based on voltage readings. Maybe try having another display hooked to the rear display ports.

Now this has made me want to try it. The main topic, not disabling the handbrake switch. I have a pioneer unit and a win10 phone. The pioneer came with a hdmi cable...

Next up should be getting in car screens to have a decent resolution.

What's really sad is that head unit IS a touch screen.

Last edited:
That unit comes stock with AirPlay, what's the point of this? My guess would be "because I can." I just ordered a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX from Crutchfield too.

I'd imagine can't interact with it because it's hooked up via HDMI. Every external touch monitor I've ever setup/serviced requires a USB connection as well to carry the emulated mouse data. Just because you can get video-out to the screen doesn't mean you're getting data back from it.

Edit: Also, for people who haven't heard of Contiuum, it's a feature for taking your phone applications and using them on a second screen with the UI and such reconfigured to match the new resolution. Basically you can do stuff like scale mobile office apps on the phone up to a desktop-like experience by plugging the phone into an external monitor and optionally adding a mouse/keyboard.

Last edited:
Smells like a sponsored article, because bothering with a Windows phone in a car makes as much sense as hooking up a blackberry in the car. Continuum = run a full screen metro app at a time. Lame.

Far, far more mobile and car tuning specific apps on Android and iOS

That is actually illegal in most if not all areas as far as I am aware. That is considered a distraction for the driver to be watching a video while driving. So dvd / video players in the rear are fine, but not in the front seat. So that is why that feature isn't in the car.

That is actually illegal in most if not all areas as far as I am aware. That is considered a distraction for the driver to be watching a video while driving. So dvd / video players in the rear are fine, but not in the front seat. So that is why that feature isn't in the car.

He said so one could watch (front seat passenger I presume) and driver to drive and listen.

I agree with him as well. I just tried hooking up my port dvd player on a road trip for my wife in the front to watch and listen and for me to listen. No go.

I have the appradio 2. Biggest pain in my ass i ever owned. This is cool but dont get caught up in the hype its not worth the hassle. Just wait for some good android radios.

Why does a car need an HDMI? That's just asking for trouble. I guess I can give a ppt presentation while drifting.

Back