Running a .exe on Windows CE.

I'm trying to install an .exe file on Windows CE 6.0 and when I double click on the executable, nothing happens. Is there something specific that needs to be done on the CE OS to run an exe?

Windows CE (aka Compact Edition, aka PocketPC, etc) doesn't use .exe files for executable installers. While the actual program might be an .exe when it's installed, the installer format is a .cab file. You'll need to find the installer version of whatever app you're working with as a *.cab installer, copy it to the device or to a storage card you can put in the device, then use Explorer to locate and select it; that'll fire up the installation process.

and by default, the cab file is deleted after install (I dunno if that behavior has changed since 6.1), so keep a seperate copy :)

and by default, the cab file is deleted after install (I dunno if that behavior has changed since 6.1), so keep a seperate copy :)

cab files are not deleted upon install. I still have all of mine on my sd card

It depends on the version of Windows CE - older versions (like the original PocketPC OS, etc) would delete the cab after installation, while newer versions are more forgiving. I had one of those craptastic 7" "Netbook" Windows CE devices a few days ago, did that very thing: downloaded the Opera Mini 5 cab installer to the desktop on the device, ran it from there, as soon as it was installed, *poof* the cab was gone...

Back