Rumored Release Windows for New AMD Polaris, Vega, Navi GPUs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to Chiphell user WJM47196, who has shared accurate leaks in the past, AMD will debut new 12nm Polaris (30) and 7nm Vega (20) Radeon RX GPUs in Q4 2018 and Q1 2019, respectively, while the first Navi cards (10) will release sometime in 2019 or 2020. Navi 20, the most advanced iteration (built on the 7nm node) will surface in 2020 to 2021.

Navi 10 will be the first Navi part to arrive and will be landing sometime in 2H 2019 or early 2020, depending on a couple of factors. The performance level of this part will be equivalent to Vega, and it will be a small GPU based on 7nm. Navi 14 will follow Navi 10 soon after. Navi 20 is going to be the true high-end GPU built on the 7nm node, and as things stand right now, you are tentatively looking at it landing sometime around 2020 to 2021.

Will they survive after Intel enters the GPU marketplace? If anyone can make a gpu that is powerful and efficient, it's Intel. I'm afraid if amd is still pumping those heat misers, Intel and Nvidia may push AMD out of the premium video card business. But, maybe AMD will surprise us.

Will they survive after Intel enters the GPU marketplace? If anyone can make a gpu that is powerful and efficient, it's Intel. I'm afraid if amd is still pumping those heat misers, Intel and Nvidia may push AMD out of the premium video card business. But, maybe AMD will surprise us.

Just like Intel did last time.

I believe AMD pushed themselves out of competition. There’s not much you can do with a starved R&D budget, especially compared to Nvidia or even Intel. Maybe they hit another one out of the park like they did with the 9700 or the 4870.

Maybe if they go for some affordable memory that's available in sufficient quantities and aim for price performance they might get by for a while longer, they must have made a bit of money by now to put a bit more in R&D.

You're assuming Intel's GPU can run Crysis.

I believe AMD pushed themselves out of competition. There’s not much you can do with a starved R&D budget, especially compared to Nvidia or even Intel. Maybe they hit another one out of the park like they did with the 9700 or the 4870.

So they are a fail because they do not have an answer to the 1080ti or Titan V?

AMD supplies gpus for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft consoles. Hell, Intel is even using them as Nvidias business practices are so crappy.

I think they will be ok.

Keep smoking that recreational vegetable.

Pushed themselves into XboXone and PS4, highest cards in demand for crypto mining.

You were saying?

So they are a fail because they do not have an answer to the 1080ti or Titan V?

AMD supplies gpus for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft consoles. Hell, Intel is even using them as Nvidias business practices are so crappy.

I think they will be ok.

Nintendo is using Nvidia (at least for the switch, not sure about other consoles) AMD should supply the new Atari though if that ever releases.

I can absolutely positively tell you that nVidia is never ever going to be beat in performance. Price to performance? Sure, maybe. Raw King of the Hill Godly Powah? Never.

AMD CPU beating Intel? Maybe in cores. Not in performance. If that happened. I would very surprised but, never say never.

Intel GPU beating AMD? Going to say .... no. Close? Maybe. I see AMD trading blows with Intel in the GPU dept. But, hey, prove me wrong. I like nice little surprises.

I think AMD is a great budget oriented video card, when .... they were not expensive. They really need to get cheap again so they can be the right part for the right price for people with not a lot of money to spend. Or for those that like AMD. I used to enjoy paying a 3rd less for a video card that wasn't too far behind nVidia.

For those of you that are performance oriented. Our job is easy. We don't have to guess, or wonder, be disappointed, etc. We just have to wait and break our our check book when the new nVidia hottness comes out.

And I'm honestly sooooooo damn fatigued over all this GPU bs talk and discussion that It's nice not to have to over-think, over discuss anything. Like I said, I just have to wait.

It's nice.

I believe Nvidia stands to lose the most from intel entering the gpu market. All those intel laptops will primarily have intel gpus. I'm happy to here about Amd releasing some stopgap gpu's will be happy to own another polaris till i can get a top end navi or vega.

Fuuuuuuuuuu%@ more waiting........

he-could-really-use-a-new-one_o_1827911.jpg

I believe Nvidia stands to lose the most from intel entering the gpu market. All those intel laptops will primarily have intel gpus. I'm happy to here about Amd releasing some stopgap gpu's will be happy to own another polaris till i can get a top end navi or vega.

I never thought of it that way. All those laptops and oem desktops going from nvidia to Intel.

AMD doesn't have to worry until the developers start releasing games that won't run on an AMD GPU. Until that happens, AMD just has to be price competitive, which they haven't been because AMD GPUs happen to be a better value for mining.

I can absolutely positively tell you that nVidia is never ever going to be beat in performance. Price to performance? Sure, maybe. Raw King of the Hill Godly Powah? Never.

Intel GPU beating AMD? Going to say .... no. Close? Maybe. I see AMD trading blows with Intel in the GPU dept. But, hey, prove me wrong. I like nice little surprises.
I think they can, at least if they don’t improperly manage it like larrabee.

Maybe intel has some insight towards the GPU market where they can fit in. If they do intend to compete on the performance ground they can flood the market easy, or maybe they intend to make mining cards and compete with AMD there? Lol

AMD CPU beating Intel? Maybe in cores. Not in performance. If that happened. I would very surprised but, never say never.
Never say never...wait what?

I think AMD is a great budget oriented video card, when .... they were not expensive. They really need to get cheap again so they can be the right part for the right price for people with not a lot of money to spend. Or for those that like AMD. I used to enjoy paying a 3rd less for a video card that wasn't too far behind nVidia.

For those of you that are performance oriented. Our job is easy. We don't have to guess, or wonder, be disappointed, etc. We just have to wait and break our our check book when the new nVidia hottness comes out.

And I'm honestly sooooooo damn fatigued over all this GPU bs talk and discussion that It's nice not to have to over-think, over discuss anything. Like I said, I just have to wait.

It's nice.

I agree with most of what you said, but in terms of AMD beating Intel in CPU? It's already happening. AMD is outselling Intel in buil-your-own PCs in many markets, and holds the productivity crown at every single price point. AMD is already beating Intel in performance in just about everything but games.

AMD might re-gain a lot of market share but I think Intel is about to just utterly destroy AMD. I don't think its going to happen with the 9800K / 9th generation, but if I were Intel, I would not let price and cores and especially their old way of thinking get in the way of allowing AMD to run away with all that market share and or bragging rights. Intel is sitting on billions of dollars and some of the brightest minds in the world. I love AMD for the underdog they are and have been and we absolutely need them but in the grand scheme of things, they are still a cock roach (c) Kevin O'Leary compared to Intel is many areas.

I admit I do not know the in-depth in's and outs of the world of microprocessors but I do have absolutely incredible ..... common sense. I guess we will see.

Man, I really really hope I'm wrong and not too proud to say so!

Oh and I do plan on taking a serious look at Zen 3 in 2019 for my personal workstation / gaming rig. I want equal performance from AMD before I do that tho. The 8700K is still 10% faster than the 2700x other than in a very few productivity apps. It's up 20% when the 8700K is OC vs a 2700x OC.

Last edited:

It's nice.
I guess you have not heard of this thing called computex, where intel needed a binned, chilled water 10kUSD Xeon to get the same benchmark as an air cooled AMD threadripper?
Once AMD has 7nm on shelf the clock advantage of Intel will be almost entirely gone, AMD also has a higher multithread efficiency, the writing is already on the wall for your post to be already happening: AMD is already just beating Intel in perf already at 14/12nm.
Intel has no answer that's viable for their 7nm launch later this year and q1 '19.

It's nice.

Considering all the midrange/integrated/laptop stuff from AMD lately, I'd say you're right. nVidia will carry on with their unchecked anti-capitalist MSRP shenanigans and maintain a leading overflow in cash for R&D, and intel will continue to attract more former AMD talent until history repeats.

I guess you have not heard of this thing called computex, where intel needed a binned, chilled water 10kUSD Xeon to get the same benchmark as an air cooled AMD threadripper?
Once AMD has 7nm on shelf the clock advantage of Intel will be almost entirely gone, AMD also has a higher multithread efficiency, the writing is already on the wall for your post to be already happening: AMD is already just beating Intel in perf already at 14/12nm.
Intel has no answer that's viable for their 7nm launch later this year and q1 '19.

With all due respect and simply playing devils advocate which I love to do. I have to replay and say ...

Of course I have.

You really think that one single instance defines Intel as a whole? You really think that? Ummm ok. Wait, I have to come back to this. So ... that one staged event encapsulates Intel in everything they've done or, will ever do. Ok? Got it. Thank you ... I did ... not .. know ... this. So that night is how I am supposed to now judge Intel. Ok ... it's getting clearer for me. Ok, maybe if I say this to myself 1,000 more times over the next few days I will start to believe this horse shit. .... NOT ....

Intel has no answer and you're absolutely positive about this? I guess you have information the rest of us don't have. And btw ,,, I have never or will I ever pretend to know the inner workings of a company because I read HardOCP or other tech news outlets, or so a YouTube video or my friends "told me so."

Intel is a 1000x bigger than AMD with 100x the annual profits.

Just a tidbit of information I want to share with you.

Intel 2017 Revenue 62 Billion.

AMD 2017 Revenue .... 1.5 Billion

I like AMD for the underdog they are. I seriously do.

And I hope I'm dead wrong.

But, c'mon man ... common sense?

I will admit. Intel sure seems to be screwing the pooch.

I think it would be a mistake if AMD releases another GPU on glofo 14/12 nm , they should just wait and release on 7nm.
They shouldn't undermine the good mindshare they got from Ryzen by releasing another 3 year behind gpu

I got to say that people are reading to much into this look at the last time AMD had a presentation, the vaguest of vague statement by Lisa Su was: we will have a 7nm product for the gamer comment. While only announcing Instinct products.

Which leads me to say that this information is not for gaming cards, if it is for gaming then it might not be the cards you are looking for (refresh for low/mid end).
I think it would be a mistake if AMD releases another GPU on glofo 14/12 nm , they should just wait and release on 7nm.
They shouldn't undermine the good mindshare they got from Ryzen by releasing another 3 year behind gpu
7nm is not a magical process that will fix everything. It will be more expensive and it makes no sense to do cards in 7nm that could not perform in 14nm because when Nvidia releases their new line beyond the initial offering would make AMD look like they made something out of the stone age while not being able to have a good price performance ratio.

Pretty sure that 5Ghz 10K Xeon was far superior in performance to any 16C/32T TR1. We can guess as to where TR2 will land, but it should be superior to any air cooled/overclocked 32C/64T TR2 as well.

The main issue the community had was they felt a 5GHz Xeon was disingenuous to what was actually available. Probably some out of touch marketing manager (and there seems to be lots in the consumer space) thought that it was 'cool'.

The real issue (and strength) with Intel's Xeons is scalability. Skylake-SP is a monolithic die; it would be extremely hard to 'stitch' two of them together. Epyc is designed to be extensible (to achieve 32C, it is 4x 8C modules, with each module is treated as a NUMA node).

Last edited:
Vega 20 with slightly improved clock and efficiency + 4096 wide memory controller with hbm2 even at the same clock speed is exactly what amd needs to do. The Polaris refresh is a good idea with a GDDR6 for a low range card.
I'm pretty sure these things will sell.

Vega 20 with slightly improved clock and efficiency + 4096 wide memory controller with hbm2 even at the same clock speed is exactly what amd needs to do. The Polaris refresh is a good idea with a GDDR6 for a low range card.
I'm pretty sure these things will sell.

If that was the case it would already been here. But you have seen the numbers on how badly Vega 64 scales. And efficiency only comes with Vega when you drop clocks not raise them.

There is a good reason there are only Instinct products announced. If you paid attention Kyle posted how broken Polaris really is at higher clocks. Any refresh of Polaris would require a fix for this architecture or be stuck at lower clocks.

Polaris is not broken. its just held back by a slow and narrow memory. Vega does not have to run any faster in terms of clock speed. The 2048 bit memory controller is what is making it perform the way it does. Amd is not making any official statements about these refreshed cards because they simply don't have to.. These refreshed cards are happening because Navi is not ready and 18 to 30 months from now is a long time not to mention that Vega should have been released with a 4096 bit wide memory in the first place. ;)

Polaris is not broken. its just held back by a slow and narrow memory. Vega does not have to run any faster in terms of clock speed. The 2048 bit memory controller is what is making it perform the way it does. Amd is not making any official statements about these refreshed cards because they simply don't have to.. These refreshed cards are happening because Navi is not ready and 18 to 30 months from now is a long time not to mention that Vega should have been released with a 4096 bit wide memory in the first place. ;)

Actually what you are saying here is that Polaris would function well with HBM and that is simply not true. It would have result in a product that is to expensive for the segment intended. If the fix for Polaris was so simple why did it not appear for RX 580 ?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility
In the simplest terms AMD has created a product that runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin.
If you don't want to take my word for it ask Kyle..

Further more if you overclock RX 580 it is not going to be something that will blow your mind to begin with:
So RX 580 card runs give or take 8% faster compared to RX 480. And once we teak it manually it is roughly 13% faster compared to the reference RX 480 card and thus 5% faster compared to the default ASUS clocks. This was with the TDP Power limiter tweak maxed out. Below all overclock results, measured at WQHD.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_580_strix_review,37.html

Polaris nor Vega will make a dent for gamers even on 7nm with HBM2 or without. The design problems where clocks are raised power usage is absurd.

Man I hope this theoretical release schedule is wrong. Was hoping to get a 4k/freesync t.v. this fall and counting that something closer to a TI present level card might be out in the next 12 months. I was o.k. with a Vega refresh on the new fab. If it gained even a few percentage points of performance that would work.

This release schedule would also be somewhat self destructive to their GPU department as by the time anything comes out NV will be generations ahead again. They at least got within arms reach with Vega 64, but by 2020/2021 NV and everyone else will likely 1-2 gens ahead.

I think you would be just as pleased with Vega/Navi freesync as you would with an Nvidia flagship and no sync in regards to 4k gaming.

I find it deeply amusing that some here are predicting doom for AMD, or a dominance by Intel...based completely on rumors with little to no concrete data on ANY of Intel's, AMD's or Nvidia's future products, and no independent confirmation or the rumors.

WE SIMPLY DONT KNOW what ANY of these companies will offer over the next year. We don't even know what we will be seeing in the next 6 months! NOR do we know what performance these cards will offer compared to current offerings.

We can speculate, sure...but it's all guesswork. Save the "AMD is doomed" threads, guys, it just comes across as wishful thinking from people emotionally attached to their own purchases.

Back