Rumor (The Inq): 7800GTX 512 MB clocked at 550/1800, due 11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phranq said:
Ouch, eVGA probably isn't going to be too thrilled by this...lots of people going to want to step up to this card.

What if they don't release their 512mb card for 3 months or however long you have to use it :p or better yet what if they take all the gtx's and gt's they get in and sell them as refurbs for half the cost.

Some replies:
Phranq said:
Ouch, eVGA probably isn't going to be too thrilled by this...lots of people going to want to step up to this card.

I will take the 'crappy, old' versions of their hands for cheap; I really don't mind a refurb.

DougLite said:
^ You may as well ask for a 1GHz card and a 512-bit memory bus - the card you describe would be in the $800-1000 neighborhood right now. NV is already on the borderline of pricing themselves out of the market with this new 512MB part, which most realistic estimates place at the $600 price point, and some estimates of $650-700 are not all that far fetched.

I would tend to disagree with this. As you can read in this thread, there are quite a few people that are willing to step up to a faster GTX (or 2). There seems to be sufficient demand for the top-of-the-crop graphics card, so that nVidia cannot price itself out of the market.

[note: the following statement is NOT about performance, its about business, hence any inaccuracies in performance comparison need to be ignored]
Additionally, by releasing a card that is certain to top anything that ATi has out there, regardless of price, could be considered a smart move, which will relieve ATi of some top-end, high margin sales in addition to adding to nVidia's reputation for "being the speed king".

[Note: do not flame me if the current GTX is faster than the X1800XT or if even the future, faster GTX won't be faster, this was purely based on a business strategy, marketing perspective]

I have to say I like what nVidia's doing these days. Points can be made against having such grossly overpowered cards on the market, but this is generally a Real Good Thing for consumers. I do think it's somewhat important that ATi have a counter to this in a reasonable timeframe, however. The competition's hot now, but if the flames cool, we're going to be seeing $700 price points becoming the norm in the very near future.

Still, only one thing can really be said about this card: Still not fast enough.

get a grip guys. will this piss of current GTX owners, kinda...

but really, lets think about this. ive had my SLI setup for months and months of enjoyment. now they have something faster 6 months later. since i bought the 1200 in video cards the first time and enjoyed them, why would i be mad. i knew (and most should have), that it was most likely going to be refreshed in the near future.

am i pissed? hell no, im excited. i cant wait to get a pair of these bad-ass cards!

If NVIDIA can make a 302 million transistor, 24-pipe GPU that can clock to 550-580MHz then I can only imagine what they will achieve with the switch to 90nm low-k. ATi's X800XL is fabbed on the same process, has only 16-pipes and 160 million transistors yet struggles to hit 450MHz. I think 2006 will be another bad year for ATi.

coz said:
If NVIDIA can make a 302 million transistor, 24-pipe GPU that can clock to 550-580MHz then I can only imagine what they will achieve with the switch to 90nm low-k. ATi's X800XL is fabbed on the same process, has only 16-pipes and 160 million transistors yet struggles to hit 450MHz. I think 2006 will be another bad year for ATi.

A 32-pipe GPU at similar clocks could be quite easy (in theory) to pull off when they switch to 90nm low-k. Even a 48-pipe GPU (approx. 450mill trans.) could be able to be clocked at 450Mhz, but thats all speculation on my side. We´ll have to wait for Q3/Q4 2006 to see such a card appear or not to appear.

coz said:

Thats hit the nail on the head, as I said before Coz ATi has to start thinking of optimizing power usage from a core design perspective instead of relaying on Low-k or other Fab processes.

ChronicTrees said:
How do you think the high end hardware, at the time those games are released, will handle them?

I've seen 7800GTX SLI run Unreal3 and Unreal Tournament 2007 VERY well!

X800XL is on 110nm and TSMC does not offer low-K on 110nm, although it is available on their 130 and 90nm processes.

Let's try to limit the discussion to products of this generation guys. We'll talk about NVs 90nm parts when we get some info on them. - DL

Wow, I wonder if this will fit into my SN25P with that kind of a monstrous cooler!

"It's just that I believe that mainly when things keep getting better on the high end, stuff for the mainstream also see some improvement... prices go down... and things like that...
no need to be upset about my post man... relax"

This analysis does not stand scrutiny. It's not going to happen. A $600 video card is not going to have any price effect whatsoever on $300 and $400 parts. It's a niche product and will have no effect on the larger market. What it will do is give poor developing an easy out.

This part will most likely go the way of ATI's Phantom Editions, where it is avaialble for benchies on review sites, a select few consumers that can throw down mega bucks, and some hardcore overclockers that will see how high of 3DMark scores they can get and get published to generate favorable press. This market segment is important, and both makers need an entry at the "ultimate" level, to generate media buzz like we are seeing here, but it is <$400 parts that constitute the majority of the GPU makers' sales.

As others have pointed out, this is not a mass market product - the price point is simply too high. This assessment does not take anything away from the potential of this product to raise the performance bar, but raising the performance bar and delivering broad product availability to gain market share take two different approaches.

DougLite, so you're saying you think this will be basically impossible to get, even through eVGA's step-up program or if you have money to toss at a vendor? I can't quite tell if you mean that, or if it will just be out of reach of most because of its cost ($500-600).

Cost mainly. They should be able to meet demand for the product at its price point, as there are simply not that many people that will buy a $600 video card. You can see this phenomenon in action - NV has basically nothing between the 6600GT and 6800GT on PCI-E - the 6800NU on PCI-E is a dud. ATI has done quite well with products in the $200-250 range with products like the X800XL, X800GTO, etc. NV has a stranglehold on the ~$150 pricepoint with the 6600GT, but they are conceding a lot by leaving the $200-250 range basically wide open. There's an Inq article today hinting at the 7600 coming soon, which is certainly capable of filling that range nicely and winning a lot of sales for NV, on the coat tails of top flight performance from the 7800GTX of course :)

I think there is as many people who want to buy these as they are people who will buy FX or Dual Core chips from ATI.

With technology on GPUs now a days looking more and more like CPU design, its safe to say what we pay for CPU, we may go ahead and turn around to pay for a GPU.....

and then a PPU .. (physics)

and then a AIPU ... (artificial intelligence?) :) :) <thats what I want to help invent>...

eventually... systems are just going to be a network of all-in-one-integrated specialized processors ... and I CAN'T WAIT! :)

Who cares im glad i bought 2 XFX 7800GTX OCs the day they came out, they have been worth every penny and ill be one of the first to get 2 of these Bad MOFOS when they launch, ATI better get off their Ass if they wanna stay in the game.

What I have heard is that it is going to be clocked at 550 and 1600 MHz. However, I have some question. I am running the new A8NSLI 32 and I was using my old hdd from A8NSLI Premium. I was able to use coolbits and overclock the GPU. However, after I reload window and installed the new drivers (81.85 and 6.82), I could no longer use coolbits. Once the coolbits is installed, the computer freeze. Once it is taken off, it works. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hmm i used Coolbits with the 81.85s and it worked fine, grab the 81.87s ive been using them with no problems and it improves a few things one of them being COD2 performance.

Marcdaddy said:
Hmm i used Coolbits with the 81.85s and it worked fine, grab the 81.87s ive been using them with no problems and it improves a few things one of them being COD2 performance.

I had no problem before with the premium boards also. I am worry it might be the new MB driver which is under nForce SLIX16.

You might need to use driver cleaner to hose the motherboard chipset drivers and video drivers, then reboot and install new chipset drivers first then forceware drivers. Maybe new sli 16x mobo doesn't like old drivers.

I was under the impression that you cant clean out chipset drivers (Intel or AMD), if you do something usually breaks anyway. I restore a ghost windows XP image and start driver installs from the beggining (it avoids these problems and it allways works everytime).

http://theinquirer.net/?article=27443

The 14th, man I can't wait to see those benchies, I knew they were just fucking around with us when the released a 430 mhz "next-gen" gpu, with last gen's memory. The way it sounds, these things wil be able to clock as high as x1800xt stock clocks, and then get 2ghz on memory, 60gb/s.....jesus

dang, and it took me awhile to save for the 7800gtx, got that when it first came out....

sucks being poor and trying to get good hardware... lol.

Wow and I thought my XFX GTX OC sitting on 550 day in day out was impressive.. (water)

look out red team!

Dying waiting for the solid, actual info, although this is probably close to the truth anyway... can't wait!

We need more reliable and solid info on this, so far all ive seen is a inq report and a picture of what could be a quadro 4400 with an XFX sticker stuck onto the fan. And why did the data change?

fodder0 said:
dang, and it took me awhile to save for the 7800gtx, got that when it first came out....

sucks being poor and trying to get good hardware... lol.
Heh I would call your current system "good". Better than a lot of the people here, to be sure.

kleox64 said:
We need more reliable and solid info on this, so far all ive seen is a inq report and a picture of what could be a quadro 4400 with an XFX sticker stuck onto the fan. And why did the data change?

I don't know man. U can download that XFX bios for yourself. It says it right there 580/1730 @ 1.45 Volts. Thats about as much proof as I need. THis thing is coming and ATI better brace for a hit.....

And that BIOS comes from where? Directly from XFX's site? How do we know it isn't a test or engineering BIOS? Maybe the release BIOS won't have those clocks.

I think this one's as good as confirmed. Clocks are subject to change, of course, but we've seen multiple reports from the Inq, word from the vendor's mouths, a seemingly accurate photo of the XFX card and the seemingly reputable XFX BIOS. We're also not seeing much from the hardware review sites that would be under NDA for such a card doing any speculations.

In the bag, methinks.

I got from reliable source that it is for sure 550 or 560 and 1.7 or 1.8G. We shall see on the 14th. I understand it is going to be limited in supply

If your "reliable source" cannot even confirm the exact clockspeeds, then we're no further from the truth than what the Inquirer has already told everyone... :p

1c3d0g said:
If your "reliable source" cannot even confirm the exact clockspeeds, then we're no further from the truth than what the Inquirer has already told everyone... :p

The reason I think that their is no reliable clock speeds, is due to the fact that Nvidia has less restrictions on the speeds the chips run at. They say the chip is good for 550 and from that point its up to the Card Manufacturer and remarker to choose the speed. Nvidia might be haivng them use 1.8GHZ (or 900Mhz DDR) memory but its up to the company to decide to set the memory speed. I think the Nvidia reference specs are going to be 550 core 1500 Memory and we might see anything from 550-625 depending on overclocking ability and I am sure some manufacturers will run the memory all the way up 1800.

Let me ask again.

Where did this BIOS come from? Is it downloadable directly from XFX's website? If not then it's far from proof of anything.

The Inquirer? That's a laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back