Rumor (The Inq): 7800GTX 512 MB clocked at 550/1800, due 11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheBluePill said:
Maybe this is a little off topic, buy why cant they produce GPU's at speeds comparable to CPUs even on the same die size? Is the archetechure that different?

GPUs are much more complex than CPUs.

Please start a new thread if you want to explore GPU architecture and why it is different from CPU design. - DL

I have a question to Empty: DO You Hate ATI? Seems liek very postyou make somehow you manage to say shita bout ATI.

I have a question for you: Do you know which forum this is? In the NV forum, bashing/hating on/whatever you want to call it ATI is fair game. You are correct that if he had made such remarks in the ATI forum, it would be trolling, but such is not the case here. We have an ATI "playground" too, you are welcome to play on it. - DL

Please do not air disputes with other members in public. This thread is drowning in red ink, I will suggest to everyone that you go back and review the [thread=760666]Rules[/thread] and in general think twice before hitting the "submit reply" button. - DL

Anyways, this is fantastic news with my bonus coming this month and the holiday season coming up :)

The highest i have had my cards run is 530/1350 without a Volt Mod so 550/1800 isnt such a stretch. I know there are plenty of naysayers but at the moment it finally seems like Nvidia can do no wrong.

Sweet let me back up the truck lol, But seriously what kind of performance will these cards bring, the man thing is the memory being 600 mhz faster then my cards which sounds like a ton to me.

^ Benchies!! We want Benchies! But nobody even have the cards yet, so we'll have to wait. :(

Marcdaddy said:
Sweet let me back up the truck lol, But seriously what kind of performance will these cards bring, the man thing is the memory being 600 mhz faster then my cards which sounds like a ton to me.

Well, I think the main purpose of this refresh is to keep the performance crown over the x1800xt, so it's probably safe to say it's faster than the x1800xt in pretty much every case. Now by how much? Who knows.

Marcdaddy said:
Looks like Anatech is reporting the possiblity of 7800 GTXs with 512 megs as well
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2583
If this is true ATI better have another trick up its sleeve, then again all they have is tricks and treats considering where the hell are the 1800XTs at? If Nvidia can somehow get these 512 meg cards out before the 1800XTs i will never even think about a ATI product again, they continue to do everything wrong with this new product line and its pretty pathetic if you ask me. I just want to 2XMAS presents this year i hope Santa knows how to say SLI.

*sigh*
well first off it's a november 5th release. If you want to buy one though now
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
They have them in stock. Granted it's more expensive right now...but it's a november 5th release..that's when the price should be go back to MSRP.

Dr. X said:
Well, I think the main purpose of this refresh is to keep the performance crown over the x1800xt, so it's probably safe to say it's faster than the x1800xt in pretty much every case. Now by how much? Who knows.

Once again...no one doubted a higher clocked 7800GTX...but ..heh. sounds like original buyers were "screwed" because this sounds like a massive refresh. Possibly even new features. And in a short amount of time too.

^ Doesn't look like it's in stock to me, the only XT that isn't listed as November 28 availability isn't available until tommorrow the third - even in the UK it isn't yet 8 in the evening on the second.

Netrat33 said:
*sigh*
well first off it's a november 5th release. If you want to buy one though now
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
They have them in stock. Granted it's more expensive right now...but it's a november 5th release..that's when the price should be go back to MSRP.

Thats an X1800XL, not an XT. The Sapphire XL has been at newegg for a few weeks now. It's the XT that we've yet to see.

I don't understand why some of you are have trouble believing that it can run at 550Mhz on aircooling.

Thats what the PS3 GPU (very similar) is supposed to run at. And they already have "stock" (oc'd by manufacturer) 490Mhz cards.

So I could easily see them cherry picking cores to run at 12% faster than the current fastest shipping cards, (490Mhz) even if they didn't tweak the core (retape) or PCB (to provide more robust power).

Now if they tweaked the core (and/or PCB), I'd imagine it would be really easy for them. (won't be "cherry picked" just upper speed bin)

They shouldn't need a HUGE volume on these cards, anyway, as the price probably will remain high due to the 512Mb of high speed ram.

What's the use it doesn't have HDR + AA, when Unreal 3 and Unreal tournament 2007 comes out, you'll either be seeing jaggies or HDR lightning, gonna wait for next-gen.

Marcdaddy said:
rofl0an.gif

Yeah, I'll help ya out. :p But seriously, 600MHz extra on top of the current memory speeds sounds like it can/will do some SERIOUS damage... :eek:

DougLite said:
That die-shrink going as described is by no means guaranteed. Prescott was originally intended as a die-shrunk Northwood that would truck along to about 5-6GHz, instead Intel had to add even more pipeline stages just to achieve clock speed parity with Northwood. Also, ATI had huge problems with the move to 90nm - it took three respins and a delay of over three months to get R520 out the door. Q1 06 is awfully optimistic for a transition to a fab process that all three major chip makers that have transitioned to it have had problems with. Along with Prescott, IBM's G5 yield problems come to mind (Anybody remember Jobs promising 3GHz G5s?), and even AMD didn't have fabulous luck with their first 90nm parts - there was never a 3800+ Winchester.

The Inq claims that this is still a 110nm part, just heavily tweaked. I am inclined to believe that NV's high end parts will be on 110nm for the forseeable future, although they are probably working on a 90nm midrange part, much like they used 6600GT as a "pilot" project with 110nm.
The 6100/6150 are 90nm. (NVIDIA claims they have 3 parts at 90nm, not sure what the 3rd is).

Hmmm... glad I bought an eVGA as well, I might use the step-up program to change my 7800GT into a 512mb GTX at these higher speeds. All the reviews I read a few months back said that the GT/GTX were highly memory-bandwidth limited.

Viper87227 said:
Thats an X1800XL, not an XT. The Sapphire XL has been at newegg for a few weeks now. It's the XT that we've yet to see.

Look again. That's an x1800XT 512 card. They have more than one card on the site. They have other brands that are available later though.

DougLite said:
^ Doesn't look like it's in stock to me, the only XT that isn't listed as November 28 availability isn't available until tommorrow the third - even in the UK it isn't yet 8 in the evening on the second.

says another shipment on the 2nd. So basically put your orders now and you get one.

Well I just bought my eVGA KO cards...more than a thousand dollars...good thing they have their step-up program...hopefully there isn't any strange catches

Rudager said:
Well I just bought my eVGA KO cards...more than a thousand dollars...good thing they have their step-up program...hopefully there isn't any strange catches

I reviewed the terms and conditions fully and there seem to be no catches other than no cross-shipment, if you count that as a "catch". From what I have read about others on this forum who have used the program in the past, it is good :).

if the 512 7800gtx ends up being clocked the same as the 256 version, i will never open a link to the inquirer again lol, god i hate that site

chinesepiratefood said:
if the 512 7800gtx ends up being clocked the same as the 256 version, i will never open a link to the inquirer again lol, god i hate that site

yap inquirer is 50-50 so we shall wait and see :)

Are people seriously thinking of giving up 2 7800 GTX's for one of these? Even with the higher clocks, doesn't dual 7800 GTX cards outperform a single GTX at 550/1800?

Netrat33 said:
Once again...no one doubted a higher clocked 7800GTX...but ..heh. sounds like original buyers were "screwed" because this sounds like a massive refresh. Possibly even new features. And in a short amount of time too.
New cards coming out! That's just crazy. I thought both ATI and NVIDIA had stopped making better cards and we had reached the top. :rolleyes:

Anybody who tries to buy the "best" computer part out there knows that next month they could be knocked off the top of the hill. It's been that way for decades.

The only people who get "screwed" are the kids who don't yet understand this. (or maybe the people waiting for the XT :p )

A 512 "ultra" has been speculated since the GTX was released. Nothing new here.

PRIME1 said:
New cards coming out! That's just crazy. I thought both ATI and NVIDIA had stopped making better cards and we had reached the top. :rolleyes:

Anybody who tries to buy the "best" computer part out there knows that next month they could be knocked off the top of the hill. It's been that way for decades.

The only people who get "screwed" are the kids who don't yet understand this. (or maybe the people waiting for the XT :p )

A 512 "ultra" has been speculated since the GTX was released. Nothing new here.

But nvidia said no it wouldn't. GTX is enough.
Obviously we have to see what real performance on these new specs are like, But if it's totally blowing out it's own GTX 256 model...yes it's people who bought it already "screwed" with quotes. It's not sounding like a little refresh much like the x850. It's sounding like a whole new card after about 6 months.

So I guess much like the old argument that was given to x800 users: SURE buy the 7800GTX if you don't mind buying a new card 6 months down the road.

It's not sounding like a small GTX 256 -> 512. It's a pretty big leap in clock and memory speeds. Did you really get the option knowing down the road. I'm sure most GTX users knew it would be an upgrade, but obviously until NDA is lifted we'll see what else might have been "missed" with this "non-ultra" edition

gtx4u said:
What's the use it doesn't have HDR + AA, when Unreal 3 and Unreal tournament 2007 comes out, you'll either be seeing jaggies or HDR lightning, gonna wait for next-gen.

There hasn't been any confirmation either way on what HDR method Sweeney went with for UE3. Keep in mind that there are many methods of doing this trick, and many of them do AA with practically any DX9 capable card. How many methods did Valve employ throughout the development of Lost Coast that worked with anti-aliasing? All of them?

Stop using ATi's slandering PowerPoint presentations as the basis for everything you know about graphics and GPUs. And besides, you don't want to bother running UE3 games with single GTX anyway. 512MB of VRAM is the baseline for these games.

On the subject of this rumoured card: at the suggested clocks, it's an undeniable monster.

Oh, and if you look at the X1800 XT, you see that the exact same memory modules obviously don't cost $100 for 256MB when you look at XT pricing. Also keep in mind that the GT/GTX are "old cards" now, and due for an MSRP drop. I'm seeing the new 512MB GTX at a $550 price point. Very feasible.

Netrat33 said:
I'm actually bring up a valid question
The only thing you're bringing-up is ridiculous anti-NVIDIA bile. You're welcome to do that but make sure you do it in the right place.....

ATi Flavor

Thanks.

logrus said:
Are people seriously thinking of giving up 2 7800 GTX's for one of these? Even with the higher clocks, doesn't dual 7800 GTX cards outperform a single GTX at 550/1800?

i wouldnt trade my SLI setup for one card. but...i will for 2. :D

Dude im gonna be the first guy to buy 2 of these new cards when they are available and sell my 2 7800GTXs later, im excited woot, time to go spank the monkey.

logrus said:

The 7800GTX's are horribly memory-bandwidth limited from what I read.

Now ME...personally I waited for both card companies to have the competition going. I'm most likly getting the pick of the litter of which is better. BOTH of my cards (see sig so lay off with the anti-nvidia "arguement" :rolleyes: )have lasted still with current games. Lot of people though...well 500 for a slower card...IF ATI has "worry" that now after a short wait for a faster card.

I soooooooo can't wait to find out about this card... wonder about a pre-oc'd eVGA edition with even faster specs! :drool:

Netrat33 said:
Look again. That's an x1800XT 512 card. They have more than one card on the site. They have other brands that are available later though.

Doh... didn't scroll down

Netrat33 said:
Now ME...personally I waited for both card companies to have the competition going. I'm most likly getting the pick of the litter of which is better. BOTH of my cards (see sig so lay off with the anti-nvidia "arguement" :rolleyes: )have lasted still with current games. Lot of people though...well 500 for a slower card...IF ATI has "worry" that now after a short wait for a faster card.
From the looks of your cards, you were "screwed" when the 6800 ultra came out.

lol this is great. Feels like the old days when I read interviews of Geforce Cards in PC Gamer. How confident they were & was extremly sure ATI had nothing to match there product. This is the Nvida I grew up knowing. Im sure this will be a great card. I will second Goldentigers post as well, EVGA has been huge to Nvidia. Cant wait to see how high they get these cards to clock at.

-DarkLegacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back