RTX3080/3090 heat exhaust output

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
With the big heat syncs is the air coming out the card any hotter than older cards? I see no difference but others are saying it is bad enough to damage cables.

The heat from the heatsink should never be enough to damage wiring on its own. If the hottest component on the card is 100 degrees celsius, the air coming off the heatsink can't ever be warmer than that.

More likely is that you're hearing from miners who use cheap risers with wiring of insuffient size or quality for the current the card draws. That wire then gets really hot, and damages the insulation. I guess it's possible for this to happen with a single card in a gaming machine, but if that's what's happening, it's the result of poor quality cables from the power supply, and not heat coming off of the heatsink.

I've heard of backplates "melting" soft WC tubing, especially on cards with RAM on the back, but not from power draw/etc, and certainly not from the air itself.

I've stuck my hand on the output of my 3090 when it was fully loaded and it wasn't hot enough to be uncomfortable, let alone hot enough to burn me (which it'd have to be to damage wiring). It was warm for sure, but not what I'd consider hot. I did not check all of the metal surfaces of the card, but I don't have anything touching the back of it so not something that should be an issue. I'm running a stock FE card, so it doesn't run very hot in general.

Big difference between the back of the card and the hot air being exhausted. The air is warmish, the back of the card can burn you if you touch it for too long depending on what you're doing.

Back