RTX3070TI vs 6900XT

SvenBent

2[H]4U
i have not really followed the hardware field in quite some years so need abit of help here

im looking to dump around 600 bucks on a graphics card and was looking at amazon
It appears the offers from both sides are going to be 3070ti vs radeon 6900xt.
im pretty much brand agnotics. im just looking for what gives me the overal best performance for my money

I ussual plays
FPS (single player)
RPG
Turnbased stragy/4x games
Real time strategy

I dont play
Sports games
Racing games

from som quick googling it looks liek the 6900xt is the overwall winnder can someone confirm or deny this ?

I've owned both and still use the 3070ti right now. The 6900XT is significantly faster. 3070ti used for $350 is an ok deal but at $600 hell no. The only time you could make a case is if you really wanted RT or some special Nvidia features.

I think i hit a sweet spot of the budget beeing around 600
the 3070ti is cheaper. the 6900xt was on 28% off and went doen to be slightly more expensive. so it just looks like getting that 6900xt is the way to go.

Hopefully a huge upgrade for my gtx 970 despited beeing on ryzen 1700+

Reactions: c3k
like this
I'd go for a 6900xt. I think nvidia only makes sense currently at the very high end (4090). People have been selling 6900xt's here for ~$500-550 and you could probably even get a 6950xt from someone who's upgrading soon. You can get a 3080ti at a similar price if you need nvidia features. The only advantage to me for nvidia cards last gen was raytracing, and the only games I saw where that was a worthwhile advancement were... minecraft and quake 2 (I think DLSS/FSR look bad and so that advantage is pointless to me). The 6900xt is very good at rasterization, especially if you're gaming at 1440 or lower.

Wait, you're going to cram this into a ryzen 1700 build? Just buy a ryzen 5700x or something and then throw in a 6700xt or a 3070 (maybe a better card depending on what you get the CPU/motherboard for)
See here for some recent pricing: https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus-motherboards-memory-6900xt-and-3080-ti.2023066/

I'd go for a 6900xt. I think nvidia only makes sense currently at the very high end (4090). People have been selling 6900xt's here for ~$500-550 and you could probably even get a 6950xt from someone who's upgrading soon. You can get a 3080ti at a similar price if you need nvidia features. The only advantage to me for nvidia cards last gen was raytracing, and the only games I saw where that was a worthwhile advancement were... minecraft and quake 2 (I think DLSS/FSR look bad and so that advantage is pointless to me). The 6900xt is very good at rasterization, especially if you're gaming at 1440 or lower.

Wait, you're going to cram this into a ryzen 1700 build? Just buy a ryzen 5700x or something and then throw in a 6700xt or a 3070 (maybe a better card depending on what you get the CPU/motherboard for)
See here for some recent pricing: https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus-motherboards-memory-6900xt-and-3080-ti.2023066/
I agree with you re: ryzen 1700x.
He can sell his 1700x to offset the upgrade cost to 5600 (vanilla) or even 5700x. 6900xt can be hand less than $600, too.

You've gotten it from others, but the 6900 XT all day long. The only thing the 3070 ti has on the 6900 XT is ray tracing performance, but that's still virtually worthless at this point (regardless of what nVidia marketing would have you believe?

Get the 6900xt.

You've gotten it from others, but the 6900 XT all day long. The only thing the 3070 ti has on the 6900 XT is ray tracing performance, but that's still virtually worthless at this point (regardless of what nVidia marketing would have you believe?

Get the 6900xt.

I thought RT was worthless until I started using it, in games where it’s implemented well I really like it. Unfortunately the 3070ti isn’t really strong enough to run good settings and RT except at 1080p.

I thought RT was worthless until I started using it, in games where it’s implemented well I really like it. Unfortunately the 3070ti isn’t really strong enough to run good settings and RT except at 1080p.
I'd never say RT is useless. Overstated, yes. My library and genre variety is simply way too big to factor it in more than a "nice to have".

As for the cards, easily 6900xt all day anyday. My 6800xt already eats the 3070ti.

I'd never say RT is useless. Overstated, yes. My library and genre variety is simply way too big to factor it in more than a "nice to have".

As for the cards, easily 6900xt all day anyday. My 6800xt already eats the 3070ti.

Yeah I’ve been waiting so long to grab a 4090 I managed to snag an ASRock 6900XT OCF which is an XTXH chip for $479 after using some rewards from my credit card that were about to expire. My 3070ti is just not enough for 4k even with games that have DLSS.

Since the 4090 is a unicorn fart and the 7000 series is still a bit away I figure this is the very best bang for the buck. This way I can play comfortably and wait for aib 7000 series cards before I decide, going to try FSR 2.1 on cyberpunk this weekend.

I mean, that has been the case since the 2080 launched, and why dlss really exists.
I'm right there with you about enjoying the effect though.

I've always used Nvidia cards because I fall for proprietary shit like that all the time.

In that regard it's a pretty simple equation for picking out a graphics card. Just ask yourself if you want to pay a premium for some sort of proprietary thingycabob that looks cool and will be forgotten about in a couple of generations.
If that's fine with you then choose Nvidia. If not choose AMD.

I mean, that has been the case since the 2080 launched, and why dlss really exists.
I'm right there with you about enjoying the effect though.

I've always used Nvidia cards because I fall for proprietary shit like that all the time.

In that regard it's a pretty simple equation for picking out a graphics card. Just ask yourself if you want to pay a premium for some sort of proprietary thingycabob that looks cool and will be forgotten about in a couple of generations.
If that's fine with you then choose Nvidia. If not choose AMD.

RT is here to stay, looking at Unreal 5 and other new engines its going to be critical in the future. Hopefully AMD catches up quickly because this market doesn’t need to be skewed any more.

RT is here to stay, looking at Unreal 5 and other new engines its going to be critical in the future. Hopefully AMD catches up quickly because this market doesn’t need to be skewed any more.
Seems to me that AMD is in a better position than Nvidia since Sony, Microsoft and Valve rely on their parts at the moment.

I like Ray tracing and I am glad that it's going to stick around but for the time being. AMD is the unmovable object obstructing Nvidia's unstoppable force of innovation.

AMD doesn't have to do anything but stay in the market to keep Nvidia on it's toes.

So if you want something that will use all the current standards for as long as possible get the AMD option.

If you want something that looks snazzy and are willing to pay for it go Nvidia.

Yeah I feel like you need a 3080 ti to play with RT on if you're playing 1440p or higher (atleast a 3080 at 1440p). I like to stay around 80 FPS or higher, I just don't see any card slower than that doing it. I like RT a lot but not enough to swallow buying a 4080+. Any card below the aforementioned 3080 ti really isn't a raytracing card IMO.

Yeah I’ve been waiting so long to grab a 4090 I managed to snag an ASRock 6900XT OCF which is an XTXH chip for $479 after using some rewards from my credit card that were about to expire. My 3070ti is just not enough for 4k even with games that have DLSS.
What a deal that was!!! $479 for one of last year's flagship.

Oooh she came in a day early. And surprisingly solved a problem I had that I thought was software but must have been the NV driver. Been having a terrible time with youtube running in the background when I play a game, it kept wanting to drop quality and pause itself when it was out of focus unless I turned off hardware acceleration and that problem is completely gone now that I switched the cards.

First time I've had an ASRock video card and this thing is beefy, feels like its mostly metal on the shroud instead of plastic.

DBFB27A0-5DBA-407B-AF74-3A664BEBF781.jpeg

7C45B571-BD6B-4051-AA3D-40B03AD74777.jpeg

Back