RTX 5090 pre-preview

I can't see where you plug in the auxiliary power source into? Any other pics?

That's actually the engineering sample for the 5050ti. The real 5090 is about twice that size. Don't let this tech tuber fool you! You heard it here first!

And if that doesn't work, you can just cut a hole in the bottom of your case and maybe put it on stilts.

RTX 5090 be like...

GPUfall.gif

*stole this GIF*

Using your own imagination and within the boundary of physical constraint, how would the 5090 card will look like in 2024/2025?

If AMD/Nvidia and perhaps Intel pursue the approach of ever increasing overall gpu power consumption, a 600W card as seen in current 4090 will certainly yield a very large design and heavy card via air cooling.

Imagine how would the 700W/800W or perhaps 1kW gpu card looks like if air cooled? Maybe time to move on to AIO as mainstream or using server type fan (jet engine sound and won't be consumer friendly). Or limit gpu power consumption within 600W or so and live with the large air cool heatsink. I'm referring to the xx90 cards, not the mid-tier cards. Granted AIO has its limitation such as evaporation of coolants of long period of time.

The most reasonable approach, at least according to AMD is to improve power efficiency and performance per watt. They didn't offer any cooling solution or approach to cool a 700W card beast.

Using your own imagination and within the boundary of physical constraint, how would the 5090 card will look like in 2024/2025?

If AMD/Nvidia and perhaps Intel pursue the approach of ever increasing overall gpu power consumption, a 600W card as seen in current 4090 will certainly yield a very large design and heavy card via air cooling.

Imagine how would the 700W/800W or perhaps 1kW gpu card looks like if air cooled? Maybe time to move on to AIO as mainstream or using server type fan (jet engine sound and won't be consumer friendly). Or limit gpu power consumption within 600W or so and live with the large air cool heatsink. I'm referring to the xx90 cards, not the mid-tier cards. Granted AIO has its limitation such as evaporation of coolants of long period of time.

The most reasonable approach, at least according to AMD is to improve power efficiency and performance per watt. They didn't offer any cooling solution or approach to cool a 700W card beast.

I think that a company can only push things in the direction of increased power consumption and heat output for so long, before the pendulum starts to swing the other way. Otherwise you end up with a stigma attached to your product, like with the Fermi graphics cards from Nvidia or with the Prescott and Pentium D chips from Intel. The 4090 could easily earn this stigma, especially if AMD were to release cards that are in the same realm of performance but use considerably less power. I could easily see a future generation where the performance gains are small, but power consumption is reduced considerably. Not to mention, the more power hungry your GPU is, the harder it's going to be to integrate into Laptops, which is a huge chunk of the market. And with a looming recession that has seen energy prices in particular rise very quickly, power consumption is going to be something people pay more and more attention to.

I don't see water-cooling becoming mainstream beyond what it has already achieved with AIOs. You can't escape the fact that water-cooling has many more points of failure compared to air cooling. Enthusiasts are in a position to deal with those failures when they occur, but "regular" customers are not. Yeah there are examples of AIOs lasting a long time. There are just as many examples in the other direction such as my Corsair H100i GTX (not some random brand) that died after a couple years when all of the coolant leaked out. Also, as of now, there is still not a standard format for custom GPU heatsinks. They have to be custom made for a specific card. So years later when the AIO on your card dies, you might not be able to find a replacement at that point even if you wanted to. The card won't be brand new at that point but it would be like junking a 2080 Ti because companies have moved on and it's custom waterblock isn't made anymore. I prefer to pass on my secondary GPUs to other computers for family, friends, etc, and every GPU that I buy ends up seeing 10+ years of usage before it's actually retired. Most AIOs would not last that long.

I kinda want a case now where the exterior of the GPU IS the top of the case. I see no reason this isn't a viable case design:
Screenshot 2022-10-13 172837.png

haha! That was great! Now if we can just create that type of airflow without the noise. Something like Dyson has...
Airflow without noise requires a lot of space. Dyson cannot sidestep the immutable laws of physics. Most of their stuff is quite the gimmick TBH.

I can't see where you plug in the auxiliary power source into? Any other pics?
They missed a shot when they showed 3 of those new 16-pin connectors and said it was 850W instead of 1350.

Back