RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Damn! Is it really only 30%? I thought it was in the 50%/60% range... I guess I need to review this thread again, I obviously missed something.

Either way, I've got a launch 1080 so the gains are going to be big for me no matter what...

3080 is ~40-60% faster than the 2080ti in RT loads. So if you’re upgrading for RT it puts you in a very good place FPS wise. The 2080ti felt borderline at times. An extra 50% is substantial.

Id put the 3080 over the 2080ti at closer to a 25% improvement, and the 3090 (24gb) over 3080 (10gb) at a 5% improvement...but math is hard https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra/28.html

The 3080/3090 looks less impressive to the 2080 Ti once compare apples to apples, either comparing all three cards OC or comparing them at a fixed (say 250w) power limit. In that case the averages sort of hash out more to 27% and 8% ish improvements.

Id put the 3080 over the 2080ti at closer to a 25% improvement, and the 3090 (24gb) over 3080 (10gb) at a 5% improvement...but math is hard https://www.techpowerup.com/review/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-ftw3-ultra/28.html
As others have mentioned, it depends on what resolution you are referring to. Also, percentages don't always tell the whole story. The higher the framerate, the greater the fps increase with smaller percentage increases (10% of 60fps is 6 fps while 10% of 100 fps is 10 fps, yet a 6% increase of 100fps is 6 fps). When comparing the stock 2080 Ti average frame rates to a stock 3080 and 3090:

At 1080p:
  • 3080 is 17.75% faster (28.4 fps).
  • 3090 is 22.88% faster (36.6 fps).
  • The 3090 is 4.35% faster than the 3080 (8.2 fps).
At 1440p:
  • 3080 is 24.98% faster (31 fps).
  • 3090 is 33.04% faster (41 fps).
  • The 3090 is 6.45% faster than the 3080 (10 fps).
At 2160p:
  • 3080 is 31.98% faster (23.6 fps).
  • 3090 is 44.58% faster (32.9 fps).
  • The 3090 is 9.55% faster than the 3080 (9.3 fps).

the 3080 is semi-vaporware...if most people have to wait until February/March of 2021 then it makes more sense to just wait for the inevitable Super refresh versions

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Could be. Wouldn't surprise me to see Hopper on TSMC 5nm in about 18 months. Whether that is just HPC/AI or consumer your guess is as good as mine.

18 months is in the realm of a normal lifecycle for a video card generation.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't expect anything drastic.

Some people were floating rumors that Hopper would be within a year of Ampere (Q3'21?). I don't see it. I'm still betting on the "Super" refresh on 7nm TSMC with higher clocks and more memory. I would think that could be as early as Q2'21 though.

Could be. Wouldn't surprise me to see Hopper on TSMC 5nm in about 18 months. Whether that is just HPC/AI or consumer your guess is as good as mine.
I think we will see Hopper much, much sooner. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it late summer/early fall 2021. I think that the cancellation of the 3070 and 3080 refreshes with larger memory configurations could be indicative of that.

It’s becoming more evident that Nvidia is having yield issues with Samsung causing the supply shortages and not the BS artificial shortage conspiracy theory made up by MLID. If Nvidia can’t produce cards they’re going to both lose market share and revenue. And this shortage is coming at the worst time when AMD appears like it will be competitive on all performance tiers for the first time in what...3 generations?

They’re going to want to accelerate Hopper as quickly as possible to get on TSMC’s 5nm, and get revenue back up and retain its market share.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
TsMC 5nm is mega expensive, limited capacity and unavailable (Apple). Even 7nm TSMC is significantly more expensive than Samsung 8nm but supply is opening up with Apple moving and AMD working on it for post-Ryzen 5000 chips. I’d say 7nm is more likely, but I do wonder if it will come with a price bump.

I feel that buying a 2080Ti for €600 was a great move, even though I didn't plan to keep it. I was going to resell it and get 3080.

Now I'm going to keep it. 3080 is great, but if AMD comes swinging (and it seems they will), there will be some fierce competition. Better wait a year or so.
3070 in Sweden is going to cost some €650-700 and will have less vram. So 2080Ti should still keep its value. I don't expect to lose more than €50 if I decide to sell in 6 months.

Those of you who scored 2080Ti $400-500 sure feel happy now :)

So after AMD's RX 6000 presentation, the 3090 is definitey in hot water. Wonder if Nvidia will respond. The simplest response would be to slash the price of the 3090 to $1200-1300. They can still charge a premium because it still comes with 8GB more VRAM. Also very possible that they'll come out with a card that slots between the little room that is left between the 3080 and 3090.

So after AMD's RX 6000 presentation, the 3090 is definitey in hot water. Wonder if Nvidia will respond. The simplest response would be to slash the price of the 3090 to $1200-1300. They can still charge a premium because it still comes with 8GB more VRAM. Also very possible that they'll come out with a card that slots between the little room that is left between the 3080 and 3090.
NV product stack on the high end is in trouble.

Why would they drop the price on a card they can’t keep in stock? Most people buying 3090’s for $1500+ aren’t doing so rationally and nothing in AMD’s presentation would change that.

Why would they drop the price on a card they can’t keep in stock? Most people buying 3090’s for $1500+ aren’t doing so rationally and nothing in AMD’s presentation would change that.
Is this your first year with GPUs? Have you never seen NVIDIA be concerned with market perception?

So by your angle, they will never have stock and just keep the upper hand by not selling any?

Do you read your own posts?

Is this your first year with GPUs? Have you never seen NVIDIA be concerned with market perception?

So by your angle, they will never have stock and just keep the upper hand by not selling any?

They already lowered the price of their 3080 card over the previous 2080 just to try to appease the "market perception." You don't even have to look 6 weeks back in their history to see it.

Watch Dogs Legion performance charts have shown it to use more then 8GB VRAM at 1440p...so those that keep saying that 8GB VRAM is enough are wrong...the 3080 is probably OK but even then it seems near the edge of acceptable levels for upcoming games

Take with a grain of salt as always, but apparently a 3080 Ti is back in the running with the following specs:

RTX 3080 Ti FE:
PG133-SKU15,
GA102-250-KD-A1,
20GB GD6X,
the same FP32 count as 3090,
10496FP32,
the same MEM speed and TGP as 3080,
no NVLINK.

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1323785556417863680?s=20

AMD forced their hand. Good job AMD. This is the SKU everyone really wants.

Looks like Battlefield 6 is slated for holidays 2021, so I will do as I always have done and build around that game. Like Battlefield or not, if you pay attention to that engine you’ll end up with a build that will get you through probably half of this next generation of games.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Watch Dogs Legion performance charts have shown it to use more then 8GB VRAM at 1440p...so those that keep saying that 8GB VRAM is enough are wrong...the 3080 is probably OK but even then it seems near the edge of acceptable levels for upcoming games
Bold statement. So that's in-use and not allocated VRAM?

Because at 4K, Legions used up to 11.7GB in the benchmark for my 3090. And there were 3080 10GB users complaining about 10GB of VRAM use, but their benchmark FPS was in line with the 3080 to 3090 CUDA core/RTX core difference (around 15%) and not cut drastically/slide showing while it accessed the pagefile for textures.

And the in game settings show that 8.9GB was required for 4K at max settings. (Edit - with the optional hi-res texture pack)

AMD forced their hand. Good job AMD. This is the SKU everyone really wants.

Looks like Battlefield 6 is slated for holidays 2021, so I will do as I always have done and build around that game. Like Battlefield or not, if you pay attention to that engine you’ll end up with a build that will get you through probably half of this next generation of games.
Preach. Can't wait for BF6. I hope they return to modern warfare.

I think that an interesting way to look at it and speculate for future title, is there and easy way to validate that.

For example:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/watch_dog_2_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

At 1080p the Pascal Titan X is 21% faster than the 1080 8gb
At 1080p the Maxwell Titan X is 22.5% slower than the 1080 8gb

At 1080 the Geforce 980 TI with 6 gb is 97% of a Titan X Maxwell with 12 gb of VRAM

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/watch-dog-2-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,7.html

At 1440p the Pascal Titan X is 29% faster than the 1080 8gb
At 1080p the Maxwell Titan X is 21.7% slower than the 1080 8gb

At 1440p the Geforce 980 TI with 6 gb is 98% of a Titan X Maxwell with 12 gb of VRAM

If having just 8 gb would be a significant issue, wouldn't the delta between a 12 gb Maxwell vs a 8 gb 1080 video card between the 2 resolution be more significant and a difference between the 980Ti and the double de memory titan would grow instead of staying exactly the same ?

There is lot of * going on (1% low for example maybe would tell us something average FPS don't, engine adjusting for it without telling you despite putting the same game setting), but there always seem to have conflicting signal that make it hard to isolate VRAM play in the result (there is not many exact same video card but with the vram quantity that change on the market, if that ever happened to not help us).

Rumor mill is getting weird. 12 GB on the 3060?

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1325820848393973760
Maybe they finally realized that vram is important after all and their cards will perform like crap with newer games around the corner coming out or be more limited. Funny if this is true, the 3060 having more vram than the 3070 and 3080 :ROFLMAO:. AMD hit the bullseye with vram it seems. Nvidia is missing the wall and going down the hallway hitting the bathroom door.

MangoSeed said:

I think he is saying that since the 3090s are selling out already at $1500+ there is no need to lower the price. If stock of 3090s go up significantly and they STILL sell out at $1500 because people want Nvidia features (Shadow Play, Freestyle, extra VRAM, etc.) he is correct, if they sit on shelves then a price cut is prudent.

MangoSeed said:

I think he is saying that since the 3090s are selling out already at $1500+ there is no need to lower the price. If stock of 3090s go up significantly and they STILL sell out at $1500 because people want Nvidia features (Shadow Play, Freestyle, extra VRAM, etc.) he is correct, if they sit on shelves then a price cut is prudent.
To be fair, maybe there are so little that is why they fly off the shelf? Just a thought.

To be fair, maybe there are so little that is why they fly off the shelf? Just a thought.
It has been confirmed that the number of 3000 series cards that have been released so far has been very small. We will not know how strong the demand there is for them until there is plenty of stock.

So getting more data together on this together this morning, and I am confident in saying that the 3080 has had less than 8K units sold in North America to date.

To compare, the 2080 Ti released with just under 150K units at launch.

I am hearing ZERO back chatter of Samsung 8nm having production issues. At this same time, NVIDIA has made huge GDDR6X purchases, which further pushes the narrative that there are not 8nm production issues.

I truly believe NVIDIA is holding back 3080 ASIC inventories, till they can push retail prices on the whole well above the announced 3080 FE "MSRP" that NVIDIA used for marketing purposes and to greatly impact Day 1 positive reviews on 3080 value.
So not official confirmation but I accepted it as confirmation.

That's a better insider view than you'll get on any tech site, that heard it from another tech site...

if they add more VRAM to new models then you know they are admitting they screwed up by only having 8-10 GB on the 3070/3080...12-16 GB VRAM is the sweet spot for current and upcoming AAA games

So not official confirmation but I accepted it as confirmation.
OK - but you misrepresented the quote. He specifically said 3080. He did not say 3000 series. He is talking about how the 3080 FE a mythical $699 card because it is. All you can really find out there are the AIB alternatives for much more money. That's one card out of the dozens and dozens that are available.

Last edited:
Back