RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Depending upon the game, some more significant than others with some being better using pcie Gen2 :ROFLMAO:. Still overall with current Ryzen 3 generation a slight improvement. Once Ryzen 4 hits, this may change somewhat. There is more than just bandwidth at play, latency can also have an effect with pcie 4 being better. Was mentioned DirectStorage and RTX I/O, I would think both of those technologies may actually reduce latency and reduce load on the pcie bus, at least RTX I/O would making pcie 3 and 4 even less significant since the data is compressed and smaller in size. Unless games change dramatically faster in how content is streamed from the SSDs to the GPU, probably a couple generations down the line.

Ampere looks like a good upgrade from Pascal with some potential issues, power/heat being #1, Hardware Unbox as well as DF had some driver issues (probably be fixed).

I say the interesting flipflop has more to do with margins of error.
One of the review sites looked at the pcie4 feature test in 3dmark, and its exactly where it should be.
DirectStorage is going to eat bandwidth in the PCIe bus. Its just taking a hop out of the equation. Instead of certain data going to the CPU first, its going to go straight to the GPU. Throughput between GPU and nvme drive I believe is going to be way faster compared to throughput between nvme->cpu->gpu.
RTX I/O I believe is just a name that NVIDIA is using to advertise a feature set that includes DirectStorage as well as that AI noise reduction thing

I find it a bit humorous that you are complaining about (what you think is) others complaining and complain about what was not said and not relevant and then sort of agree.
You completely miss the point.

You made a judgmental comment, or at least your wording came across that way (intentional or not).

You stated your view that cards should be no more than $300-400 then called out those that are willing to spend the money on a higher price item as "too little common sense, will never retire". That comes across as a complaint and a jab at others who are willing to spend the money. Yet here you are owning a card that, when first released, cost more than what you think video cards should top out at and talking about a $4,000 TV (I own a E9 65", by the way) and owning a couple of monitors that cost over $1,300 each when they were new (my monitor was $900 new). It's a bit hypocritical, thus the humor. It's like having someone who owns a mansion say that people who buy BMWs are financially irresponsible. Whether its financially irresponsible is really on them and how they manage their money, not necessarily what they spend it on. You might like nice displays and find the cost justifiable, they might like fast graphics cards and find the cost justifiable. It's a difference of wants and needs. I have a hard time explaining to the Mrs. in a way she can agree as to why the costs of computer parts or Lego sets are acceptable, just like she has a hard time explaining to me why she needs so many shoes or why the cost of her hair appointments is justifiable. Sorry, I would list her hobbies for comparison, but reading books and baking cakes just doesn't have the same effect.

As for the sort of agree, I didn't agree with your sentiment that video cards should top out at $300-400, I only mentioned remembering a time when the cost of cards were cheaper and what I could afford back then (which was around the cost of a console). Over the years cards have gotten more expensive, consoles have gotten more expensive, cost of living has gotten more expensive, and I am situation now where I am able to financially afford more now than I did back then.

If I misunderstood your comment and that is not what you meant, then I apologize.

I will say that im kinda sad that nvidia jebaited us with saying SRV-IO was supported then took it out.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
It's getting cold in Sweden. My apartment is also cold this time of the year.
3080 can't come soon enough.

You completely miss the point.

You made a judgmental comment, or at least your wording came across that way (intentional or not).

You stated your view that cards should be no more than $300-400 then called out those that are willing to spend the money on a higher price item as "too little common sense, will never retire". That comes across as a complaint and a jab at others who are willing to spend the money. Yet here you are owning a card that, when first released, cost more than what you think video cards should top out at and talking about a $4,000 TV (I own a E9 65", by the way) and owning a couple of monitors that cost over $1,300 each when they were new (my monitor was $900 new). It's a bit hypocritical, thus the humor. It's like having someone who owns a mansion say that people who buy BMWs are financially irresponsible. Whether its financially irresponsible is really on them and how they manage their money, not necessarily what they spend it on. You might like nice displays and find the cost justifiable, they might like fast graphics cards and find the cost justifiable. It's a difference of wants and needs. I have a hard time explaining to the Mrs. in a way she can agree as to why the costs of computer parts or Lego sets are acceptable, just like she has a hard time explaining to me why she needs so many shoes or why the cost of her hair appointments is justifiable. Sorry, I would list her hobbies for comparison, but reading books and baking cakes just doesn't have the same effect.

As for the sort of agree, I didn't agree with your sentiment that video cards should top out at $300-400, I only mentioned remembering a time when the cost of cards were cheaper and what I could afford back then (which was around the cost of a console). Over the years cards have gotten more expensive, consoles have gotten more expensive, cost of living has gotten more expensive, and I am situation now where I am able to financially afford more now than I did back then.

If I misunderstood your comment and that is not what you meant, then I apologize.

You completely miss the point. You made a judgmental comment. You then sort of agreed.

"or at least your wording came across that way (intentional or not)." Lets jump it anyway then.

“Now, I do agree that GPU prices have crept up over the years.” Now it's just inflation. Bit more than inflation.

"I figured the cost of a console was about the limit of what I considered acceptable for the cost of a video card.” Yes, its nuts to pay as much twice as much or 4 times as much for a video card as a console with almost the same chip.

"too many have too much money (or little common sense, will never retire?) " Too many have too much money OR little common sense, (or) will never retire? Yes people do that. Not all, not everyone, too many. Asking will they retire? Not ""too little common sense, will never retire""...............called out??????

"Luckily, the xx80 series seems to be holding on to around the same price window” They are worried about the COVID economy not doing any favors. They will charge whatever they can and still move product or sell at a loss to get market share or cover an engineering oppsy.

"If I misunderstood your comment and that is not what you meant, then I apologize." Thanks for the apology and the time sink.

Guys. Fast question. Crysis remaster will use hardware pc raytracing?I hope run fine on 1440P on 2080 Ti waterforce and rtx 3080 when get it in next week

It's just cosmetic for the most part. It could also protect the back side of the GPU if you, say, stab it with a knife.
In my experience its mostly helped with board rigidity, stops the PCB from flexing, but that depends heavily on how the cooler is attached. I also know that mine definitely warms up a bit on my 1080Ti, but I doubt it has enough mass to really affect cooling by any significant amount.

In my experience its mostly helped with board rigidity, stops the PCB from flexing, but that depends heavily on how the cooler is attached. I also know that mine definitely warms up a bit on my 1080Ti, but I doubt it has enough mass to really affect cooling by any significant amount.
Thanks guys. If it is only cosmetics I would rather spend money on other system components, better ram, cooler etc .

On the side note, I’m very intrested in undervolting 3080.

Guys. Fast question. Crysis remaster will use hardware pc raytracing?I hope run fine on 1440P on 2080 Ti waterforce and rtx 3080 when get it in next week

You keep asking a lot of questions nobody can answer. The game isn't out, and neither is the 3080. Nobody can tell you about its performance.

You keep asking a lot of questions nobody can answer. The game isn't out, and neither is the 3080. Nobody can tell you about its performance.
Yeah i know sorry. I just read in facebook that game on countdown is releasing in 2 days. Sorry

Yep! It should go without saying that buying into hype and marketing is foolish. As soon as "up to" twice the performance of the 2080 was said it was clear that it would only hit that in certain edge cases. The actual performance of the 3080 landed right where I thought it would which is still pretty darn good.

That quote is great though.

Chuckles!!

Wouldn't it be really ironic if the phrase "up to" means the upper most or as you put it, "edge cases"?

up to
1. As far as or approaching a certain point.

GN finally posted the tear down! This been a great day for tech stuff. New sexy video cards and the PS5 stream got me excited.

Thanks for the share! That was a very useful video and puts my mind if I plan to add a water block on it in the future.

So the clock just passed midnight in Sweden and I've been waiting to purchase my custom 3080 card ASAP.
The stock went from "sales start 17/9" to "delivery time unavailable".
Fucking hell.

Thanks for the share! That was a very useful video and puts my mind if I plan to add a water block on it in the future.
Yea it is not too bad of a tear down compared to the 70+ damn screws of the 2080ti. Just need to be careful of those weak ass little cables.

So the clock just passed midnight in Sweden and I've been waiting to purchase my custom 3080 card ASAP.
Fucking hell.
If the date of availability is the same globally, 6am PST on 9/17, then I imagine you have another 15 hours of waiting. It's currently 3pm PST on 9/16.

Last edited:
If the date of availability is the same globally, 9am PST on 9/17, then I imagine you have another 15 hours of waiting. It's currently 3pm PST on 9/16.

If that is true, then I hug the screen again at 3pm.
But I'll chase the FE as well.

Yea it is not too bad of a tear down compared to the 70+ damn screws of the 2080ti. Just need to be careful of those weak ass little cables.
I've disassembled and reassembled Nintendo Switch Joy Cons to replace the analog stick that tends to go bad. There are a couple of tiny ass ribbon cables and power cables in there too. If I can manage those, then this shouldn't be a problem. I am more concerned about the thermal pads and grease not giving up the grip so easily.

Fucking hell.
You are from Sweden?City?I was in Malmo 25 years ago.I am from Poland but tommorow i order from .pl site ,and they from Denmark getting cards. So? Hope for no issues with availability.

You are from Sweden?City?I was in Malmo 25 years ago.I am from Poland but tommorow i order from .pl site ,and they from Denmark getting cards

Norrköping.
Way north of Malmö.
I'm off to bed. Good luck with your order :)

The time for that was probably before the reviews came out. Basically from the GN and HUB reviews it looks like its decent at 4K but disappointing at 1440P:
View attachment 279635

The interesting thing is that the results were closer to expectation at 4K resolutions. People were expecting ~75% increase at 4K resolution compared with the 2080 given the Digital Foundry video.

[....]

So you are saying, because of the Digital Foundry video, people were expecting a 75% increase in performance for every and all games?

Besides the fact that the DF preview showed per game variances of more then 22 percent, there was also this big disclaimer so that everyone was informed these were cherry picked games by Nvidia:

"Full disclosure: I can bring you the results of key tests today, but there are caveats in place. Nvidia has selected the games covered, for starters, and specified 4K resolution "
- Digital Foundry

So, Nvidia selected - the best case scenarios. But even still, for most all the reviews, the averaged out 4k improvement over the vanilla 2080 doesn't land far from some of the best case scenarios in the preview that Digital Foundry put out.

I just have been seeing post today bashing DF claiming stuff like they lost all credibility and such, just wanted to have a say in this and used your post as a catalyst. Just saying, there there is nothing wrong with DF's preview but perhaps it is just the inability to properly comprehend or interpret.

I just have been seeing post today bashing DF claiming stuff like they lost all credibility and such, just wanted to have a say in this and used your post as a catalyst. Just saying, there there is nothing wrong with DF's preview but perhaps it is just the inability to properly comprehend or interpret.

I personally never had any issue with the DF's videos-- they clearly stated what they did. Pretty sure I wrote that the results are reasonably close at 4K but that 1440p could be surprisingly disappointing for many. That doesn't mean that there was anything "wrong" with DF doing a preview video since they disclosed all their testing conditions and NVIDIA's restrictions.

So you are saying, because of the Digital Foundry video, people were expecting a 75% increase in performance for every and all games?

Yes, I am saying that a lot of people WERE expecting ~75% performance across the board at all resolutions. I've seen tons of posts everywhere to that effect before the benchmarks came out. Should they have based on cherry picked games and settings? Probably not. I will say that few expected such a big difference in performance from 1440 to 4k even among mostly reasonable people. Some might have predicted this based on the SM structure (INT and FP) vs (INT/FP or FP/FP) but for many the 1440p performance was a surprise. I don't think that gap was immediately obvious from the DF video and is particularly relevant to high refresh 1440p gamers.

Last edited:
Hmm 3080 is not that spectacular over the 2080ti unless your at 4K. Some games still respond well to the 3080 but some barely notice or actually perform better on a 2080ti at lower resolution like 1080p. 1440p is a bit better but nothing earth shattering. Power use is sky high tho which is not super surprising due to the rumors. Can't wait to see what Big Navi does and then I can decide from there.

Reactions: noko
like this
It might be the ugliest AIB of them all, but i don't give a shit lol, Ebuyer put them up at midnight here in the UK lol!! managed to get one! https://www.ebuyer.com/1121318-pali...ddr6x-ampare-graphics-card-ned3080019ia-132aa

GCVLOBb.jpg

Reddit said the ebuyer ones all got canceled. Let us know if yours sticks!

Those were slowpokes who got to the last stage and they were already gone i think, I was lucky, I saw the thread when it was just posted and there were 12 in stock and '2 people buying' (I thought there had to be at least one place that messed up and put them up live at midnight so was refreshing reddit)

money is gone from my bank, and have a confirmation email, no cancel emails

Back