RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Anyone else find any PCIE 4.0 benchmarks? This is the only one I could find from Techpowerup:

1600273066480.png

Unfortunately they only looked at average frame rate. I'm more interested in the 1% or .1% lows which is more important to me. I feel there will be a bigger % difference.

Reactions: noko
like this
I plan on picking up a 3090 so I'm going to have to upgrade my 5820k @ 4.3GHz soon. Be interesting to see how it performs at 4k/60Hz. I will be investing in a better display as well.

Don't matter, if it is faster people will buy it and it will be out of stock for months. The top end cards should top out at $300-400 but too many have too much money (or little common sense, will never retire?) and they can sell lots and lots of $600-800 cards and lots of $1200-$2000 cards. I do want HDMI 2.1 for the LG 77C9 but I don’t care too much about running 4k or a 20FPS bump in a certain game.

If AMD can give me similar raster performance, HDMI 2.1 and for less…

4k 120hz on that 77C9 is going to be crazy! Color me jealous. If you haven't played Shadow of War yet, that game is an HDR orgasm on my OLED.

Anyone else find any PCIE 4.0 benchmarks? This is the only one I could find from Techpowerup:

View attachment 279663

Unfortunately they only looked at average frame rate. I'm more interested in the 1% or .1% lows which is more important to me. I feel there will be a bigger % difference.
If the PCIE bus (at this speed) was capable of introducing laggy delays during gameplay I would concur, but nothing gets in the way of data transfer across it other than its own bandwidth and clock rate.
Its part in overall lag is very small. Double clock rate with the newer version I expect to have little effect.
The difference of 8GHz translates to 125 femto seconds less delay.

The performance is what I expected so I'm happy with it. Will I try and get one when it launches tomorrow? Probably not but maybe something will change my mind soon.

On another note I tried to call my Best But and see if they were getting any in store but I was left on hold for too long so I hung up. I tried their "inventory tracker" thing over the phone by typing in the SKU number but as expected it said none were available probably because it hasn't officially launched. If I go out later I might stop by the store and ask out of curiosity.

The performance is what I expected so I'm happy with it. Will I try and get one when it launches tomorrow? Probably not but maybe something will change my mind soon.

On another note I tried to call my Best But and see if they were getting any in store but I was left on hold for too long so I hung up. I tried their "inventory tracker" thing over the phone by typing in the SKU number but as expected it said none were available probably because it hasn't officially launched. If I go out later I might stop by the store and ask out of curiosity.

When you call for stock at "your" store, it actually takes you to distribution person, who is not at your store. I waited 14 minutes to get in touch with one yesterday. As I posted before, she indicated that there wouldn't be any cards in store, as none were manifested for in-store distribution.

I actually can't get anyone at my store to answer the phone, which is annoying. I was planning to stop by towards close today to see if they had gotten any in a shipment today, to know whether it was worth going to the store in the morning.

4k 120hz on that 77C9 is going to be crazy! Color me jealous. If you haven't played Shadow of War yet, that game is an HDR orgasm on my OLED.

I can do the 4k 120Hz now just not with 10-bit color and full 4:4:4 chroma. Toggling 4k and 1080, it's really hard to tell at 9ft where I set and once into the game just don't see it.

When you call for stock at "your" store, it actually takes you to distribution person, who is not at your store. I waited 14 minutes to get in touch with one yesterday. As I posted before, she indicated that there wouldn't be any cards in store, as none were manifested for in-store distribution.

I actually can't get anyone at my store to answer the phone, which is annoying. I was planning to stop by towards close today to see if they had gotten any in a shipment today, to know whether it was worth going to the store in the morning.
You can imagine what its like working at the store.
The phone will be ringing constantly to ask the same questions all day.
I'm not surprised you cant get through, they wont have time to do their job!
The only thing you need do is wait 1 day.

Unlikely. But here's your example of having competition vs. not having competition. At the 3080 class card and below, Nvidia is expecting competition from RDNA2 cards. At the 3090 class, not so much...

I think AMD can possibly get in between 3080-3090 if they have cards reserved for higher clocks on the high end.

I live in a small town, so the hardware enthusiast community isn't very big. That's why I was originally hopeful about getting a card from them.

When I was in Best Buy on Sunday, there were 4 customers there. I think they have plenty of time to answer the phone, but waiting 10+ minutes for someone at a regional distribution position who doesn't know about my specific store is kind of annoying.

However, hearing that there is NO plan for in store distribution, and online is the best bet, then I'm planning on hunting/refreshing from about 9pm tonight through tomorrow morning in hopes of getting 1 of 3 cards that I want. Whether or not I'm successful, I'll probably go to best buy an hour early tomorrow, just to see if somehow something squeaked through the cracks.

And saying "just wait 1 more day" is kind of disingenuous, as while it's true that they go on sale tomorrow, the limited stock makes maximizing your chances of getting one in whatever way possible necessary.

...The top end cards should top out at $300-400 but too many have too much money (or little common sense, will never retire?) and they can sell lots and lots of $600-800 cards and lots of $1200-$2000 cards...
I find it a bit humorous that you are complaining about the price of graphics cards and judging those that are willing to pay it yet in the same post you are talking about a $4,000 TV, own a video card that retailed for $500 when first released, a power supply that was $450 when it came out, and has two monitors that retailed for $1,349 each when first released.

Now whether you paid that much for those, waited and got them cheaper, or were given them is another matter. Nothing wrong with being frugal. Maybe your priorities of what is worth the investment is different than others and the video card isn't one of them, I get that.

Now, I do agree that GPU prices have crept up over the years. I remember when you could get a beefy card for less than $400. At the time, I figured the cost of a console was about the limit of what I considered acceptable for the cost of a video card. The GTX 1080 was first video card where I broke that mental barrier of acceptability, paying $699 for a Founder Edition upon release and it has served me well for 4+ years. Since then, the cost of consoles have gone up as well and the top dog cards have been creeping up in price. Luckily, the xx80 series seems to be holding on to around the the same price window while they decide to release halo products that go for double or more. But if people are willing to pay the price...then that's where the cost will remain.

Jayz2cents is truly an nvidia homer. I can’t believe I didn’t see this before. He avoided mentioning direct numbers and said 3080 is a resolution faster. 😂 whatever the fuck that means. Basically you have to calculate your own numbers from the charts.

Also blames the cpu for holding the card back. I mean at 4K it’s 25% faster. You can be objective without sounding like a homer.

Gamer nexus and hardware unboxed are probably the most detailed video review you gonna get. Jayz2cents was all kissing and licking the 3080.

Jayz2cents is truly an nvidia homer. I can’t believe I didn’t see this before. He avoided mentioning direct numbers and said 3080 is a resolution faster. 😂 whatever the fuck that means. Basically you have to calculate your own numbers from the charts.

Also blames the cpu for holding the card back. I mean at 4K it’s 25% faster. You can be objective without sounding like a homer.

Gamer nexus and hardware unboxed are probably the most detailed video review you gonna get. Jayz2cents was all kissing and licking the 3080.

What really did it for me, was when he started complaining about the AMD cooler and shroud, and said that starting off with Marketing a new GPU in fortnight was just sad. And I am like "Did you even fucking watch the Nvidia launch where they talk about RTX in fortnight like its some big deal"

That right there proved to me he is an idiot when it comes to hardware, and very biased toward Nvidia.

The guy is a tool, not sure why he gets posted here so often.

I'm assuming he means it'll do at 4k what the previous gen would do at 1440p? Idk, still a stupid way to put it. Test, and put up your findings in concrete numbers. Let the numbers speak for themselves without putting little verbal spins on everything.

100%. Reminds me a buddy of mine who got fired from CompUSA in high school for losing his shit with people who kept coming in and phoning again and again about how and when to get a Pentium.

I'm assuming he means it'll do at 4k what the previous gen would do at 1440p? Idk, still a stupid way to put it. Test, and put up your findings in concrete numbers. Let the numbers speak for themselves without putting little verbal spins on everything.

yea he just put up charts at fast paced and told viewers to rewind if they want to look at it again and never mentioned hard numbers or averages. Really disappointed in his review, I mean he didn't even talk over the slides just had music playing and rushed through lol. it seems he didn't want to have any critic of the card. Paul's hardware did a good review as well.

View attachment 279663

Here is the whole PCIe 4 article. Its separate from the main review.

yea he just put up charts at fast paced and told viewers to rewind if they want to look at it again and never mentioned hard numbers or averages. Really disappointed in his review, I mean he didn't even talk over the slides just had music playing and rushed through lol. it seems he didn't want to have any critic of the card. Paul's hardware did a good review as well.
No braking allowed on the hype train, lol.

I find it a bit humorous that you are complaining about the price of graphics cards and judging those that are willing to pay it yet in the same post you are talking about a $4,000 TV, own a video card that retailed for $500 when first released, a power supply that was $450 when it came out, and has two monitors that retailed for $1,349 each when first released.

Now whether you paid that much for those, waited and got them cheaper, or were given them is another matter. Nothing wrong with being frugal. Maybe your priorities of what is worth the investment is different than others and the video card isn't one of them, I get that.

Now, I do agree that GPU prices have crept up over the years. I remember when you could get a beefy card for less than $400. At the time, I figured the cost of a console was about the limit of what I considered acceptable for the cost of a video card. The GTX 1080 was first video card where I broke that mental barrier of acceptability, paying $699 for a Founder Edition upon release and it has served me well for 4+ years. Since then, the cost of consoles have gone up as well and the top dog cards have been creeping up in price. Luckily, the xx80 series seems to be holding on to around the the same price window while they decide to release halo products that go for double or more. But if people are willing to pay the price...then that's where the cost will remain.

I find it a bit humorous that you are complaining about (what you think is) others complaining and complain about what was not said and not relevant and then sort of agree.

MLID posted something earlier about nVidia have subpar results due to being stuck on 8nm, I guess he wasn't really that far off, IIRC he said 20% over 2080ti for more power(off on that part), but got the 20% part.
At least the price did not disappoint.

MLID posted something earlier about nVidia have subpar results due to being stuck on 8nm, I guess he wasn't really that far off, IIRC he said 20% over 2080ti for more power(off on that part), but got the 20% part.
At least the price did not disappoint.

I mean it does use more power to get that 20%? so I mean doesn't that mean he is right?

Oh c'mon... You can tell everyone you watched Linus. We won't laugh :D
I watched them all. But I watched that one last. Started with Jazy J, ended with Linus TT. Quite the bookends. Linus' review was actually quite good. He did a spot on job IMO.

I watched them all. But I watched that one last. Started with Jazy J, ended with Linus TT. Quite the bookends. Linus' review was actually quite good. He did a spot on job IMO.

I started with GN, then Jayz, and Linus, then FPSReview's written and TPU's written series. The TPU series was excellent.
Linus and team did a great job for sure.

he has people write the reviews and he just reads them off an Ipad though, he annoys me, def wasn't his personal quote. one of his team.

Is a good line tho

Its like people are surprised that the biggest tech media group on YT's leader doesn't have time to do everything he features, and has a hired team of writers and tech savvy folks.
Fun Fact: HardOCP was only me. I wrote, edited, and created everything. I only did it in order to convey an aura of a cohesive team working diligently through the night. Brent, Paul, Dan, rgMek, Tsing... All made up personas carried out through this day to keep you from catching on.

Fun Fact: HardOCP was only me. I wrote, edited, and created everything. I only did it in order to convey an aura of a cohesive team working diligently through the night. Brent, Paul, Dan, rgMek, Tsing... All made up personas carried out through this day to keep you from catching on.

Mother of God.

Yep, I never posted a single news item as Montu. It was all Frg. Man is a machine.

My favorite 3080 review quote: "Absolute hype disappoints absolutely."
Yep! It should go without saying that buying into hype and marketing is foolish. As soon as "up to" twice the performance of the 2080 was said it was clear that it would only hit that in certain edge cases. The actual performance of the 3080 landed right where I thought it would which is still pretty darn good.

That quote is great though.

Here is the whole PCIe 4 article. Its separate from the main review.
Depending upon the game, some more significant than others with some being better using pcie Gen2 :ROFLMAO:. Still overall with current Ryzen 3 generation a slight improvement. Once Ryzen 4 hits, this may change somewhat. There is more than just bandwidth at play, latency can also have an effect with pcie 4 being better. Was mentioned DirectStorage and RTX I/O, I would think both of those technologies may actually reduce latency and reduce load on the pcie bus, at least RTX I/O would making pcie 3 and 4 even less significant since the data is compressed and smaller in size. Unless games change dramatically faster in how content is streamed from the SSDs to the GPU, probably a couple generations down the line.

Ampere looks like a good upgrade from Pascal with some potential issues, power/heat being #1, Hardware Unbox as well as DF had some driver issues (probably be fixed).

Back