RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Wow, it's amazing to me people are talking about shopping at B&M's again. It's like the 90's all over again :p

I want a 3090 and all, but I'm not going to stand in line or camp anywhere, or get up at the crack ass of dawn to go shopping. That's where I draw the line.

I'll try a few times online on the 24th.
im planning to try online and then B&m if that fails.

ImpartialPastelKinkajou-max-1mb.gif

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm settled on a 3090. Was really going for a 3080 but there's so much uncertainty with a potential TI or 20GB model. I just want a card I can install now and not worry/touch for a couple years like I did with my 2080 Ti.

The troubling thing is there are maybe only 5 games I'm interested in playing over the course of the next 8 months but oh well.

I disagree there is a titan replacement. Nvidia just hasn’t released it yet. We know this because of the new Quattro card with the full die. Nvidia is probably saving it as an in case they need it to go against AMD.

The Titan brand isn't been used in consumer cards anymore. Nvidia changed this when they released the Titan V.

They might release a Titan card but it will aimed at the professional market and will cost as least as much as the last Titan.

I just got back from my local Micro Center (Columbus, OH; their big store) and spoke with 5 of the BYOPC guys standing around at the main kiosk. They told me their store is slated to get 20 total 3080's in, all AIB, no Founder's Edition. HUNDREDS of customers have come into the store, asking what time they should get in line. Apparently, a ton of folks are going to show up the night before, right when MC closes their doors, and are going to set up tents. So yeah, if you planned on going to MC a few hours early, like me, you probably don't want to waste your time. I guess my vanilla 5700 is going to have to power my HP Reverb G2 for quite a while... :(

Hardest choice you have is whether to hit Tim Hortons or Bob Evens on Bethel after :)

Expect a good number from those 20 units to be held back for friends/co-workers. It they have 20 units day 1, there will only be 5-10 available for actual on-the-floor retail. My nephew was actually talking about swinging up from UA to camp and I told him not to bother: better chance camping out online.

Edit: Also, I think you mean "Flavortown, USA".

Last edited:
I just got back from my local Micro Center (Columbus, OH; their big store) and spoke with 5 of the BYOPC guys standing around at the main kiosk. They told me their store is slated to get 20 total 3080's in, all AIB, no Founder's Edition. HUNDREDS of customers have come into the store, asking what time they should get in line. Apparently, a ton of folks are going to show up the night before, right when MC closes their doors, and are going to set up tents. So yeah, if you planned on going to MC a few hours early, like me, you probably don't want to waste your time. I guess my vanilla 5700 is going to have to power my HP Reverb G2 for quite a while... :(

Remember the good old days when having insufficient stock on launch day was an embarrassment to the company, and they would build up a largeaunch quantity as a result?

Now they seem to take it as a mark of pride...

If I am bored enough I'll try to snag one. Although I am more of a $500 GPU kind of guy. Still...
1600180111776.png

It seems that with the launch of any popular electronic product a big portion of them get bought up by scalpers. Especially these days with the use of bots. I'm hoping that stores like Micro Center and Best Buy getting them in store will have a one card limit.

I wonder if I will be able EVGA P2 650w PSU will be good enough for 3080. I'm not planning on O/C. This will go with the upcoming zen3 4070x CPU.

I wonder if I will be able EVGA P2 650w PSU will be good enough for 3080. I'm not planning on O/C. This will go with the upcoming zen3 4070x CPU.

That's a quality PSU with a single 54.1A rail. I'd bet you be ok, especially if Zen 3 is power efficient (which it should be) and you don't plan on overclocking. On the other hand, I'm kind of just pulling that response out of my ass without seeing actual draw from 3080.

I haven't seen real world power usage yet for the 3080, but I suspect that would be pretty close.

I'm not sure I'd be 100% comfortable. I'd likely want to go up to a good 850w psu.

That's interesting it's the same for RT on vs off. I wish we still had the old [H] reviews... they had some good ones with VRAM usage and RT.
If I had to guess, they are only mentioning 11GB since that is how much memory the RTX 2080 Ti comes with, which is the GPU they are recommending, and not so much because that is how much it is actually consuming. Clearly, they didn't think it needed 16GB since that is what the Radeon VII has, but they probably didn't have a 3080 with 10GB to verify if that will do just fine.

So I called back to the best buy and got connected to a product availability person for the region.

She said that no stores would be getting the cards until there were 100 preordered (I told her that the manufacturer was not allowing preorders for this product).

She said unfortunately nothing was in transit and there would not be stock at any stores in my state.

I'm not sure whether she just doesn't know anything or if they've well and truly fucked this up.

I checked the founders SKU and 2 others with her, and she said none of them were being shipped to stores.

Back