RTX 3xxx performance speculation

I have said this 1000x and I am saying it again for myself because I am irrationally aroused by the 3090.

Whenever you buy hardware based on synthetic benchmarks, relative performance to previous generations, or features alone, you are probably going to make an expensive mistake.

I have been doing this since 1998. The question is:
(1) What is the most demanding game I will be playing;
(2) What resolution will I use;
(3) What is my minimum frame rate requirement;
(4) What features/settings do I want/need;
(5) Does potential card hit all of the above with room to spare?

So, for example, if you play Battlefield, we know Battlefield 6 is coming. We know GTA 6 is coming. We know certain games tend to push hardware (anything outside, with foliage).

Can you imagine how sick you would feel if you dropped $1,500 on an RTX3090 and then a year later or two years later a next gen game launched (we are on the cusp or a new console gen after all) and it didn’t quite hit that 4K at 120fps, HDR you wanted. I mean it is one thing to upgrade from an $800 card in that time, but $1,500?

I think you not only need to have the $1,500 but also be willing to risk that it will fall short when it really matters.

I mean, are we really building PC’s around this cyberpunk game?

I always look at Frostbite Engine and Grand Theft Auto as my benchmark because there are TREES that get rendered. Pick your killer app and then go one level ABOVE what it requires.

Or you just wait until you load a game you are dying to play and you just can’t get the FPS you need.

I bought two 980s at launch for SLI, and then right after launch they announced that Shadow of Mordor could use more VRAM than I had. That setup ended up SUCKING in Battlefield and got replaced with a single 1080ti. That card was not THAT much faster but lasted three years because it had the bus speed and vram to knock everything out of the park at 1080p.

I also once bought a 590, which was touted as a giant killer. Also sucked. So hot it destabilized the whole system.

The RTX 3080ti will be the card to own, most likely, for 4K. Probably next year. There will probably be better displays as well and better benchmarks. I just have a bad feeling about the 3080 at only 10GB and 3090 at $1,500. My gut says wait it out.

And the fact that Fortnite and Minecraft are our RTX benchmarks do not bode well for the longevity of these cards.

I think NVIDIA accomplished a lot but the purchase decision is always subjective and based on the games you play and will play, and your monitor!

I think very similar to you. In my case if I were going to jump this year it would be a 3080 realistically.

In the last several iterations I've definitely gravitated towards Ti and "likely" will wait for the 3080ti but it's going to be tough. I'm currently on a 1080Ti and I use a 4K 120Hz (potential) monitor with G-sync. I'm not terribly picky. As long as I can get the game in the "G-sync zone" I'm happy.

The "step up" and trade-in programs only go out so far. ;)

So those who are skeptical about the 3000 series performance are ones with the higher end 2000 series cards? Seems like they are the ones making the most noise. But those of us who are still on the 1000 series and below ( minus those with 1080Ti perhaps...?) are freaking ecstatic about Ampere.

Or you just wait until you load a game you are dying to play and you just can’t get the FPS you need.

This is my main criteria now. The other deciding factor is that I plan to upgrade only once per manufacturing generation. I upgraded to Pascal on 16nm, will upgrade now and then again on 5nm which is likely at least 2-4 years away. Refreshes on the same node are usually underwhelming anyway.

I’m more then likely going to pick up the 3080 with a water block. From the looks of these huge coolers and them all having very similar clock speeds. I believe these will really benefit from having a full cover water block. I currently have a 5700xt paired with a LG 48CX and I’m actually pretty happy with the performance. The 5700xt is running 2.1ghz on water . There are a few games that take a hit like the Jedi fallen order, at 4k this game does studder from time to time. With freesync on it’s not horrible, dropping to 1440@120hz is very smooth. I believe the 3080 on water should hit 2.1ghz or better. That with gsync of the LG I should be good till the next killer card comes out. If the 3090 was around 1k-1200 I would pick I up , but 600 for 20% more performance just seams a bit much.

I’m more then likely going to pick up the 3080 with a water block. From the looks of these huge coolers and them all having very similar clock speeds. I believe these will really benefit from having a full cover water block. I currently have a 5700xt paired with a LG 48CX and I’m actually pretty happy with the performance. The 5700xt is running 2.1ghz on water . There are a few games that take a hit like the Jedi fallen order, at 4k this game does studder from time to time. With freesync on it’s not horrible, dropping to 1440@120hz is very smooth. I believe the 3080 on water should hit 2.1ghz or better. That with gsync of the LG I should be good till the next killer card comes out. If the 3090 was around 1k-1200 I would pick I up , but 600 for 20% more performance just seams a bit much.
If you do get a 3080 can you make a thread about how it works with the LG CX48? I have my eye on that display.

As expected, nowhere near $700. In Sweden 3080 Strix is over €1000, which is $1200.
Demand I guess, but I don't see this price going down much. 2080Ti Strix was $1700 in Sweden. Actually, still is.

Report: Nvidia GeForce RTX 30 GPUS To Be In Short Supply Until 2021

One of the primary reasons that Nvidia decided to go with the Samsung 8nm process was because the company would allow them to overcome the capacity constraints inherent in buying from TSMC...TweakTown is reporting that stock is going to be scarce until the end of the year and if you want in on the Ampere GPU craze before then, you better preorder

The reason given was that Nvidia is unsure of the maximum yield of Samsung's process and considering the clear performance advantage they have over basically everything, they want to (voluntarily) reduce the numbers of wafers produced till yield can be maximized at Samsung's end...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html

Last edited:
Report: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 GPUS To Be In Short Supply Until 2021

One of the primary reasons that NVIDIA decided to go with the Samsung 8nm process was because the company would allow them to overcome the capacity constraints inherent in buying from TSMC...TweakTown is reporting that stock is going to be scarce until the end of the year and if you want in on the Ampere GPU craze before then, you better preorder

The reason given was that NVIDIA is unsure of the maximum yield of Samsung's process and considering the clear performance advantage they have over basically everything, they want to (voluntarily) reduce the numbers of wafers produced till yield can be maximized at Samsung's end...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html

That was to be expected if you ask me. I knew it was going to be a bitch to get a 3090. I just hope I can get one before Cyberpunk.

As expected, nowhere near $700. In Sweden 3080 Strix is over €1000, which is $1200.
Demand I guess, but I don't see this price going down much. 2080Ti Strix was $1700 in Sweden. Actually, still is.

Where are you seeing prices at?

That was to be expected if you ask me. I knew it was going to be a bitch to get a 3090. I just hope I can get one before Cyberpunk.

it was expected with the 3090 but I thought the 3080 would have better availability...guess not

Even evga staff says its not a 2 slot card, and its obvious by the measurements they listed for xc3 that its wider than dual slot.
According to one of their mods
"Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models with backplate (XC3 Ultra/XC3) is 1.78in. - 45.1mm.
Thickness of the 3090/3080 XC3 models without backplate (XC3 Black) is 1.61in. - 40.9mm."
So it looks like it should fit in a 2 slot.
https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3072847&p=32

Is anybody really surprised? Realistically, we won't be able to get any of these GPUs until December, at least not anywhere close to MSRP. Especially when the performance is this much higher than the current generation, yeah, supply is going to be nowhere near demand. Cue price inflation for 2-3 months, when each batch of GPUs disappears from e-tailers within minutes. Even if Nvidia releases a 3060 by Thanksgiving - which is the card I'm more interested in - who cares? I'm sure it´ll perform at about a 2070 level for $300 or so, but realistically I won't find it at that price until January or February, easily.

Is anybody really surprised? Realistically, we won't be able to get any of these GPUs until December, at least not anywhere close to MSRP. Especially when the performance is this much higher than the current generation, yeah, supply is going to be nowhere near demand. Cue price inflation for 2-3 months, when each batch of GPUs disappears from e-tailers within minutes. Even if Nvidia releases a 3060 by Thanksgiving - which is the card I'm more interested in - who cares? I'm sure it´ll perform at about a 2070 level for $300 or so, but realistically I won't find it at that price until January or February, easily.

I'm wondering if Big Navi will face the same issues...not to mention Zen 3 (CPU)

I'm wondering if Big Navi will face the same issues...not to mention Zen 3 (CPU)
TSMC is making Big Navi, not Samsung. We will see if there are differences. I have been told that Samsung is very much restrained on its 8N capacity.

TSMC is making Big Navi, not Samsung. We will see if there are differences. I have been told that Samsung is very much restrained on its 8N capacity.

if that's the case then availability alone might drive people to RDNA2...people want new RT cards for Cyberpunk so even if AMD performs worse then Ampere on the high end, people might buy them anyway

if that's the case then availability alone might drive people to RDNA2...people want new RT cards for Cyberpunk so even if AMD performs worse then Ampere on the high end, people might buy them anyway

I am not so sure they will. Zen 3 for sure will sell no problem, but AMD has to do something about their GPU reputation. I know I am not the only one who hasn't been burnt by AMD Driver issues, or hardware issues. Don't get me wrong I want AMD to succeed, but they have an uphill climb on that one.

But who knows, they changed everyones view when it comes to CPU's. They might hit it out of the ballpark again with GPU's. We want competition!

It's not even 8nm is it?
Well it is decribed as custom "8N." That N is for NVIDIA, not "nm." Not much exposure on the process, so who knows. What we do know is that it is no where close to TSMC's 7nm. Likely it is a custom Samsung 10nm process, but I am GUESSING at that and have nothing to back that up besides speculation at this point.

I am not so sure they will. Zen 3 for sure will sell no problem, but AMD has to do something about their GPU reputation. I know I am not the only one who hasn't been burnt by AMD Driver issues, or hardware issues. Don't get me wrong I want AMD to succeed, but they have an uphill climb on that one.

But who knows, they changed everyones view when it comes to CPU's. They might hit it out of the ballpark again with GPU's. We want competition!

but my point was that if Ampere cards won't be available in large quantities till maybe Q1 of 2021 then AMD might get lucky and get a lot of sales from availability alone...if Big Navi performance matches or slightly exceeds 3070 levels then that might be enough (driver issues aside)

Last edited:
but my point was that if Ampere cards won't be available in large quantities till maybe Q1 of 2021 then AMD might get lucky and get a lot of sales from availability alone...if Big Navi reviews are as rumored matching or slightly exceeding 3070 levels then that might be enough (driver issues aside)
You have Black Friday and Christmas coming up and there is no doubt that availability will be influencing GPU purchases at that time.

Exactly, we want the same competition in the GPU sector as we have right now in the CPU sector. That's best for the customer.

I'm a bit scared to jump to AMD after using Intel for almost 20 years. I'm so use to using like intel XMP for 1-click memory overclocking and stuff. I know I WILL be in a GPU-bound situation 99% of the time and not a CPU-bound situation if I'm trying to push 4K 120hz. I know the 3900XT is like 1-2% FPS slower than the 10900K in gaming, but I feel I would get 5%+ FPS gain using PCIE 4.0 vs PCIE 3.0 especially if I get 2x SLI 3090's just from general knowledge/research. I hope the RTX 3000 PCIE4.0 benchmarks come out soon because I have to pull the trigger soon. I'm giving my current rig to my son so I need a Motherboard/CPU/Memory upgrade path. Both our PC's are 100% for gaming (& overclocked) only:

Attachments

• 1599077503148.png
    1599077503148.png
    441.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1599077578931.png
    1599077578931.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm a bit scared to jump to AMD after using Intel for almost 20 years. I'm so use to using like intel XMP for 1-click memory overclocking and stuff. I know I WILL be in a GPU-bound situation 99% of the time and not a CPU-bound situation if I'm trying to push 4K 120hz. I know the 3900XT is like 1-2% FPS slower than the 10900K in gaming, but I feel I would get 5%+ FPS gain using PCIE 4.0 vs PCIE 3.0 especially if I get 2x SLI 3090's just from general knowledge/research. I hope the RTX 3000 PCIE4.0 benchmarks come out soon because I have to pull the trigger soon. I'm giving my current rig to my son so I need a Motherboard/CPU/Memory upgrade path. Both our PC's are 100% for gaming (& overclocked) only:

If Nvidia is recommending the 3990x for 3090 SLI. Then that tells you something when it comes to PCIE 4.0. AMD systems are really top notch now, Do not hesitate going AMD, specially with Zen 3 right around the corner.

You have Black Friday and Christmas coming up and there is no doubt that availability will be influencing GPU purchases at that time.

True,though the FAR bigger thing in play now and for the coming decade to come, are the fact hundreds of millions worldwide,formerly in the middle class who had gainful employ 12 months ago,now not only do not,but will not again for many years to come. The last Financial Depression lasted over a decade. This one is FAR FAR worse,and these lockdowns are not materially going away,nor the desire by TPTB to give up their new found Totalitarian powers to extend them. Check ShadowStats or market-ticker.org or IceAgeFarmer for hard data. I work in commercial RE management since 1999,and evictions and delinquencies are skyrocketing to dizzying heights,as are the same in residential,worldwide. Lotta pension funds are collapsing right now,some of the biggest ever.

True,though the FAR bigger thing in play now and for the coming decade to come, are the fact hundreds of millions worldwide,formerly in the middle class who had gainful employ 12 months ago,now not only do not,but will not again for many years to come. The last Financial Depression lasted over a decade. This one is FAR FAR worse,and these lockdowns are not materially going away,nor the desire by TPTB to give up their new found Totalitarian powers to extend them. Check ShadowStats or market-ticker.org or IceAgeFarmer for hard data. I work in commercial RE management since 1999,and evictions and delinquencies are skyrocketing to dizzying heights,as are the same in residential,worldwide. Lotta pension funds are collapsing right now,some of the biggest ever.

Yeah, I've had similar thoughts. A lot of factors at play here determining availability.

OK.

according to Linus, Ampere is based on Samsung 10nm FF...time-stamped video...

That's because Samsung 8nm is just their version of 10nm++. Kind of like how TSMC kept renaming 20nm++++++ to 16, 14, 12nm after some tiny iterative improvements. Samsung and TMSC have been shrinking their node numbers quite a bit without always actually shrinking their node, whereas Intel just keeps adding a +. I guess Intel needs to take a book from the other manufacturers in how to market things for mindshare.

On the flip side, there are also a lot of people (like myself) who are still gainfully employed that have cancelled vacations, cut back on spending (some forced, some by choice) and are accumulating a growing amount of disposable capital.

Construction is booming in spite of the COVID impacts to the point that the cost of basic materials like lumber, drywall and concrete is poised to increase by %300-500 due to damage. Further the recent disasters provide a massive influx of cash as insurance pays to rebuild from hail (locally we had 1.4B in hail damage, largely insured, and good luck finding a contractor right now).

There are absolutely segements of the industry that are not only surviving but thriving. I am not surprised that the RE industry is suffering, both commercial and residential. That really isn't an innovative segment, its one that has relied on other to innovate and demand space.

I am very much in a position to afford a 3090, the question I have is IF not CAN, I am curious on Big Navi, my 2080Ti cost me a lot and if I run it for another year its not that big a deal.

All true, but packing all those components together in such a small space does not bode for great heat transfer. And already pushing 325w or 350w? Oof. I don't think Samsung has left a lot of headroom in these chips. Asus is already touting a 400W model. I would think that is about topped out.

3090/3080/3070
View attachment 275405

No clocks, no prices.....hmmm.

There will be 3+ slot cards as well I was told.

Overclocker.uk has prices up. As in OVER 3 FULL slots ?!

same thing with amd docp

you'll be able to max out your memory's potential better with intel though

I know what your saying, but you do in fact realize we live in Clown World (tm) and have been there for a long while!

Back on topic, my penis is ready for this launch!

Last edited:
Back