RTX 3xxx performance speculation

If Nvidia ends up charging $1500-$2000 for the high-end non-Titan card I will sell my 4k/120hz screen and my computer, buy a fast slim laptop, and Playstation 5.
$1500 would end up being around €1800 in Sweden. I can afford that but I don't see the point of spending that much money for gaming with PS5 just around the corner.

Can't argue against that.

The new console HW looks awesome, and should have unbeatable bang/buck. There is no way you can realistically build a gaming PC at console pricing.

If it was just about HW bang/buck, I woud have a console. If Xbox could run Windows, I would order an XB Series X, as soon as the books opened.

Unfortunately for me, it's about ecosystems, and I really like the PC ecosystem. I tend to like PC games, mouse/KB type games, and I get my games from GoG these days, and I don't want to be in a DRM'd ecosystem with monthly charges, and I can't move all my legacy PC games to the console. I like tweaking games to make them more playable for me. And PC HW is kind of hobby in it's own right, and speculating about new PC HW around the corner is a source of entertainment.

So I will stay with PC into the foreseeable future.

But definitely if I played the same games that are on consoles anyway, that does seem to be the way to go.

I wouldn't argue against anyone considering a switch if console has the games they want to play.

Instead, I would say, lucky you. Because that looks unbeatable if it has the games/ecosystem you want.

I really wonder how PC gaming survives these days, given how great even current consoles are, let alone the new generation about to be released.

I can't go by me, since I am an old fossil, and my motivations are unlikely to be widespread. If I was young person steeped in rental culture (Spotify, Netflix, etc), then it really seems that consoles would be the natural home...

Last edited:
The demise of PC gaming has been here every year for the last 20...not.

Just buy what fits your budget if you are a PC gamer. If not then consoles are for you. Seems like a win-win-win-win. AMD wins, Nvidia wins, Microsoft wins, Sony wins. PC and Console developers win too.

With that said I believe NV is going to put out some awesome cards for us this year. Hoping the Ti is 40% faster than 2080 Ti.

I really wonder how PC gaming survives these days, given how great even current consoles are, let alone the new generation about to be released.

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Longevity due to upgradeability.
2. Much higher performance and IQ. Even casual console gamers are aware that the PS4/X1X are struggling mightily. I certainly wouldn’t consider them great.
3. Some genres just work much better on KB/mouse. FPS, strategy, MMORPG etc.
4. Lots of people need to own a PC anyway for work/school.
5. It’s a lot more fun for hobbyists.

I can think of a few reasons.

1. Longevity due to upgradeability.
2. Much higher performance and IQ. Even casual console gamers are aware that the PS4/X1X are struggling mightily. I certainly wouldn’t consider them great.
3. Some genres just work much better on KB/mouse. FPS, strategy, MMORPG etc.
4. Lots of people need to own a PC anyway for work/school.
5. It’s a lot more fun for hobbyists.

1: Don't buy this one. Console generation is almost a decade. You could still be playing great new AAA games on a console you bought in 2013.
2: At the high end.
3: Of course, I mentioned this one for myself.
4: For most people, that's a basic laptop.
5: Sure but that's different than gaming

You will give up pc gaming just cause you don’t like the price of one card? Seems quite childish. Why dont you just buy a cheaper card?

Cheaper card? Did you miss the part where I wrote that I have a 4k/120hz screen?
Childish lol. Doing what you want is a sign of maturity.

Nvidia will need to have a great card on their hands this year because people WILL switch to consoles.
It's not a question of IF, but how much work they are willing to put into damage control.
I'm getting a PS5 regardless, but if I'm getting a PS5 AND RTX 3080Ti/3090 is up to Nvidia's pricing.
I love to game and I need a fairly powerful PC for 61mpix image editing, but with new consoles, I don't need a gaming PC.

Cheaper card? Did you miss the part where I wrote that I have a 4k/120hz screen?
Childish lol. Doing what you want is a sign of maturity.

Nvidia will need to have a great card on their hands this year because people WILL switch to consoles.
It's not a question of IF, but how much work they are willing to put into damage control.
I'm getting a PS5 regardless, but if I'm getting a PS5 AND RTX 3080Ti/3090 is up to Nvidia's pricing.
I love to game and I need a fairly powerful PC for 61mpix image editing, but with new consoles, I don't need a gaming PC.

If your goal is to game at 4K/120hz how is a PS5 going to help you? Clearly if a PS5 is good enough then you would be happy with a lower tier PC GPU too.

Not gonna lie, if the 3080ti has 11 or 12GB of VRAM ill be about as disappointed as when i bought 3 165hz gsync monitors and finding out how broken gsync is on multi monitor setups.

Reactions: noko
like this
Not gonna lie, if the 3080ti has 11 or 12GB of VRAM ill be about as disappointed as when i bought 3 165hz gsync monitors and finding out how broken gsync is on multi monitor setups.

With the 3090 name confirmed by Micron. There may not be a 3080ti. It may be just be 3080 and 3090.

It's looking more like there will be a 24GB 3090. Wether it's only 24GB or a choice between 12GB and 24GB remains to be seen.

With the 3090 name confirmed by Micron. There may not be a 3080ti. It may be just be 3080 and 3090.

It's looking more like there will be a 24GB 3090. Wether it's only 24GB or a choice between 12GB and 24GB remains to be seen.

Perhaps they will save the 'ti' moniker for the refresh of all products, instead of going with the 'super' naming scheme.

That's really more on the developers than it is on the technology. Put enough mods on Skyrim and you can max out current hardware.

Doom 3 is an exception, not a rule. That should really go for anything that comes out of id software, and anyone that's been watching the gaming industry for the last few decades should know that.

If the upcoming consoles have 16GB total, 12GB of VRAM is well within game developers' targets. If it's a problem, you can always run something slower from AMD.
In other words, it's a business decision, not an engineering decision. Glad somebody else gets it. :)

These scumbag companies are all about anchoring undesirable features to desirable features to force you to pay more money.

Want an optical keyboard? Okay, but you also have to pay more for some stupid OLED screen you don't want.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-pro

Want a GPU with a decent amount of RAM? Okay, but you also have to pay more for some grossly overpowered GPU that no games will take advantage of anyway.

Want RAM sticks with certain specs? Sure, but we only have RGB versions of those. Don't want RGB bullshit? Too bad. You're paying for it.

Scum
bags

Im still highly doubtful that the 3090 will be an actual product unless its the RTX Titan replacement.

Comes down to August 31 or September 1. Should be announcement. Keeping hearing both dates. Either way will clear up actual specs (Ram Pricing and Speed) myself gonna wait till after founders cards.

In other words, it's a business decision, not an engineering decision. Glad somebody else gets it. :)

It's a business decision, in that pricing is a factor.

There is no point putting in extra RAM to drive prices even higher, when it doesn't actually offer any benefit.

It's a business decision, in that pricing is a factor.

There is no point putting in extra RAM to drive prices even higher, when it doesn't actually offer any benefit.
In your opinion, it doesn't offer any benefit now.

You keep looking at the now. I keep looking at the future. Do we need to keep doing this?

In your opinion, it doesn't offer any benefit now.

You keep looking at the now. I keep looking at the future. Do we need to keep doing this?

I perfectly happy to have them optionally offer more RAM for those who think they will need it some day, can pay extra for it.

I just want to a more budget offering with an amount of RAM that is more likely to provide a current benefit.

1: Don't buy this one. Console generation is almost a decade. You could still be playing great new AAA games on a console you bought in 2013.

I don't call 2020 PS4 games "AAA." They're horribly dated by the hardware, and it shows.
Why haven't you capitalized on your realization that the market is underserved, scumbag?

If you want to put up the capital for my new company, let's roll.

1. The console generation that had to offer an incremental SKU hardware "upgrade" midway through the cycle to maintain acceptable performance. Anyone who purchased both at release has spent $800 USD on hardware alone.
2. No, at the mid-end as well. My 2012 Sandybridge build with a 1080ti still easily outperforms current gen consoles at higher IQ.
4. And if they want to game at the same time, they don't opt for a basic laptop. There will be plenty of people who use their machines for work and can then write off the expense for tax purposes.
5. For some it goes hand in hand.

1. The console generation that had to offer an incremental SKU hardware "upgrade" midway through the cycle to maintain acceptable performance. Anyone who purchased both at release has spent $800 USD on hardware alone.
2. No, at the mid-end as well. My 2012 Sandybridge build with a 1080ti still easily outperforms current gen consoles at higher IQ.

1: You don't have to upgrade. People are still enjoying all the same games, they are usually accepting lower settings.
2: 1080 Ti, is not mid-end. That is the very definition of high end.

1: You don't have to upgrade. People are still enjoying all the same games, they are usually accepting lower settings.
2: 1080 Ti, is not mid-end. That is the very definition of high end.

1. You don't have to upgrade your PC to the bleeding edge either, accept the lower settings.
2. Its no longer high end, especially when coupled with the rest of my machine's specs.

Yes, I'm interested the capabilities, price, etc, but I'm really interested in whether these new upcoming cards from Nvidia and AMD will have HDMI 2.1. There's been not a peep, and it doesn't seem like it would be giving away much to at least say future cards will have it.

Can you use more than 12tb vram in 4k in any game?
Even if you could, is the 3080ti/3090 powerful enough to drive the settings that would tap into that ram?

Sometimes cards get loaded up with vram they don’t need and can’t take advantage of for extra $$. I don’t see adding mountains of vram as future proofing when by the time you can use all that vram there are probably even faster cards on the market and the goal posts get moved again.

What are the chances there is any FPS benefit of more than 12GB of vram at 4k over the next few years?

Can you use more than 12tb vram in 4k in any game?
Even if you could, is the 3080ti/3090 powerful enough to drive the settings that would tap into that ram?

Sometimes cards get loaded up with vram they don’t need and can’t take advantage of for extra $$. I don’t see adding mountains of vram as future proofing when by the time you can use all that vram there are probably even faster cards on the market and the goal posts get moved again.

What are the chances there is any FPS benefit of more than 12GB of vram at 4k over the next few years?

The only thing I can see needing that large an increase in memory usage in the short term (12GB though not 12TB like you first state lol) will be Ray Tracing and assets.
This is dependent on how realistic RT is.
ie many rays/reflections can come from assets off screen, so those assets must be loaded into memory and the rays generated.
It also depends how many sources of rays are included.

They managed to launch an 11 GB card 3 years ago and somehow sell 2 consecutive cards at the same price with less vram. Assuming the 3080 is $700+.

1. You don't have to upgrade your PC to the bleeding edge either, accept the lower settings.
2. Its no longer high end, especially when coupled with the rest of my machine's specs.
Pardon my ignorance on this, but how is a 1080 Ti not high-end? For the moment, it's still one of the top 3 fastest consumer GPUs on the market (as long as you keep RT turned off).

If this chart is valid, it was taken from WCCFTech, I would definitely be ok with the 3080. If the 3080ti(3090)was below $1200 I would get that one.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-GeForce-RTX-3080-GeForce-RTX-3070-TI-GeForce-RTX-3070-GeForce-RTX-3060...png

Last edited:
Based on that chart, I'd get the 3090 or Ampere TITAN. I made this mistake of buying a really big and beautiful LG OLED as my main monitor, so I want a GPU that will give me the performance to match.

Based on that chart, I'd get the 3090 or Ampere TITAN. I made this mistake of buying a really big and beautiful LG OLED as my main monitor, so I want a GPU that will give me the performance to match.

Have to pay to play.

3080 will hopefully be good performance per dollar, but big Navi is rumored to be around the same level. It ill be interesting to see if Nvidia responds with a super or the 3080 ti post Navi launch.

If 3090 is $1200-$1500 I can maybe justify it, but that is about my max. Hopefully the performance per dollar is similar to the 3080 but I doubt that will be the case.

If this chart is valid, it was taken from WCCFTech, I would definitely be ok with the 3080. If the 3080ti(3090)was below $1200 I would get that one.View attachment 270388

I think we can be certain the chart is fabricated from guesses. Why is the Titan Memory bandwidth so much lower? Why is still giving better game performance than 3090 with such lower bandwidth?

Why would the RTX 3060 Memory bandwidth be so low (worse than 2060 Super) and yet still deliver essentailly 2080 Ti performance.

Yeah, this is just made up guesses with mistakes all around.

Reactions: noko
like this
Back