RTX 2080 Ti FE Escapes Testing by Dying After 8 Hours @ [H]

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Must suck for someone like that even more considering playing games is his source of income.

Grimlaking and Ranulfo like this.
  2. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Yea I now know why miners never purchased these cards... they can't last and mining would be a denied activity under warranty. ;)

LightsOut41 likes this.
  3. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

All that secrecy and non-testing and non 3rd party validating and aggressive NDA'ing coming back to bite Nvidia and its fanboys that bought without verification. Ray-tracing performance thus far also looking like a no go. It doesn't interest me in the slightest atm. Hopefully they get their act together for a better price/performance combination before AMD has a chance to come roaring back.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  4. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

First I would LOVE for AMD to come roaring back. But that's doubtful to me at this time. I just don't see it. PLEASE prove me wrong AMD!!

Vader1975 likes this.
  5. Caned

Caned n00b

What if this is another "nvidia defect" case? A number of years ago I remember there was a huge issue with nvidia mobile gpu's where an entire generation of them were defective.

Tin foil hat rant:

Just imagine if all RTX chips are defective from the factory, an un-noticed issue until they were all built, instead of scrapping them all they released it, got most review sites to sign a NDA so it would largely go unreported. Customers would just think they got unlucky, keep RMA'ing the cards till nvidia got the non defective ti cards built and shipped.

Darth Kyrie and LightsOut41 like this.
  6. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

i think its mostly founders edition cards, if i'm correct???

7. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

Probably more reference PCB. I think I've heard of bad Zotac cards. Not many non-reference PCBs in circulation yet.

8. jgonz

jgonz [H]Lite

Nope here is another example of just bad RTX card. This is a non ref 2070 with space invaders.

Meeho likes this.
  9. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

Shame really reminds me of the AMD 5870 launch. I got one of those in 09 launch and it had the famous grey screen of death. Not acceptable. Sometimes things fail, yes, but come on.

10. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Was he playing Hunt Showdown right before this broadcast?

11. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

In countries with good consumer law a consumer can ask for a full refund at 2nd or 3rd RMA of same issue (or 3rd/4th RMA of differnt issues) on same card. Also RMA can only last 30 seconds max.
    So this logic wouldn't work, because if life expectancy of the GPU is 1 month until issue shows up, then this gives them only 3 months at best - 1 month until issue shows up, maximum 30 days of RMA time, 1 month until issue shows up for 2nd time, full refund at 3 month mark.

12. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Fourth?! Man, get a refund.

13. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Yeah, I absolutely agree. There is something fucked up somewhere that is common across all these cards. I'm not confident it's the die itself - I am still suspect of the voltage/power regulation of these cards. The power spikes I see seem very suspect and I can't imagine these massive swings in voltage/current while running full load are good for critical components like the GPU core itself and/or the VRAM. It could be an issue with how GPU Boost 3 works, but who knows. All I know is that i'm very suspect of my 2080Ti. Thankfully I've kept my 1080ti in my home theater system that I can pull, but at the end of the day I am just not confident with this card.

Unfortunately I am now over the 30 day return period so i'm stuck with the thing sitting here hoping it doesn't fail. I've been getting consistent very suspect crashes in Hitman 2 although I haven't written it off as the GPU failing yet as Hitman 2 appears to be crashing across the board for most nvidia users.

dangerouseddy and ds9voy like this.
  14. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

tenor.gif

15. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

The 2070 is a different die though...
    So either both dies have issues (unlikely) or there is some issue with the way GDDR6 has been implemented and designed for? The artifacts appear memory-related. Memory is the only common core part between them in many ways.

16. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

Nope. Well, I don't believe they do. The EVGA 2080ti XC was the first of 2 2080ti's that died on me.....on my 3rd FE right now and so far so good for about 2 weeks

17. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

As of now they are still providing free advanced RMA service. It's outsourced, but there is nothing wrong with Digital River. Nvidia is obviously paying them for the appropriate contract for the highest level of service.

The only two manufacturers i'd buy a nvidia card from are Nvidia themselves or EVGA. Although technically Nvidia's support is better at the moment due to the free advanced RMA for the life of the warranty period where as EVGA wants money after 90 days or whatever it is.

18. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we can safely assume it is higher than what nVidia says. I never took statistics but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.;)

Darth Kyrie and ltron like this.
  19. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

I agree - I think the fact that they are doing advanced RMA no question for these things indicates there is a larger problem they are aware of and are basically hoping all the bad cards are replaced with as little public attention as possible by doing this.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  20. jnemesh

jnemesh [H]ard|Gawd

At this point, I would want to see REAL failure rate numbers before even CONSIDERING a purchase...not that I will buy one anyway, but this lie of "test escapes" shouldn't be allowed to fly. Not when REPLACEMENT boards are failing! I think there is something deeply and permanently flawed with the design of these cards...it's just a matter of how long it takes Nvidia to actually admit it now...

21. ShuttleLuv

ShuttleLuv [H]ardness Supreme

You know, with all this meltdown and spectre and 2800ti warmth, I just feel so festive.

maxresdefault.jpg

Darth Kyrie, iamjanco, ltron and 6 others like this.
  22. the1

the1 n00b

a festivus for the rest of us

23. trparky

trparky Gawd

If they admit that it's a design flaw and that they were trying to cover it up, not even God can help them. Stick a fork in them, nVidia would be done for.

jnemesh likes this.
  24. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Hahaha almost choked when I read that! Awesome! Well played!

25. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Now at least we have a good idea why the new cards are so expensive! To pay for all those advanced rma shipping!

26. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

As we grind harder against what the laws of physics will allow, I expect more of this kind of thing going forward. We've plucked all the low-hanging fruit.

27. N4CR

N4CR [H]ardness Supreme

Yes perhaps but then we would also see failures of their commercial/quadro range which basically use the same die without some stuff lasered off..
    It could also be anything related to the GDDR6 power circuitry which will be common amongst cards too.
    We don't know at this point!

28. zerogg

zerogg Limp Gawd

Have watercooled 2080 Tis been dieing too? I don't recall seeing anyone with a waterblock having theirs die.

29. zerogg

zerogg Limp Gawd

Cool, thanks! I had assumed it was thermals, I will check it out.

30. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

Yeah good luck with a class action lawsuit. First you have to prove deceptive intent on NVIDIA's part and secondly their failure to address the problem.

Dayaks likes this.
  31. trparky

trparky Gawd

They wouldn't be done for in the business sense but as far as their reputation they would be done for (which is just as bad, if not worse). The whole tech community knows now, at this point if you're still buying a RTX card you're either stupid or you don't know any better.

Geforcepat and ltron like this.
  32. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Get that image in 4k as further proof of 2080ti's performance at 4k.

33. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Or just buy a non-FE with good warranty.

Not like there’s a great alternative.

34. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

In this case I consider myself a casual gambler. Some might say I'm both stupid and ignorant.

Nolan7689 likes this.
  35. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

Nope, see all the other times they would have been done for, same with AMD.

36. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

The burnt silhouettes of nvidia RTX.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  37. Aireoth

Aireoth 2[H]4U

The silence from nVidia since there silly explaination is deafening.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  38. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Damn Kyle, sending you some good vibes! Bad things come in 3's right? Let's hope not! good-vibes.jpg

39. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Well, no tracking number yet for a replacement, not that I expected one from Wednesday afternoon of last week. Will see if a replacement cards starts moving today.

One of the original Micron cards did get used a lot by the kids in VR this weekend, and it is still going strong.

40. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

I'm biding my time waiting on the next AMD Release specifically so I can get anything nVidia related out of my computer.