RTX 2080 Ti FE Escapes Testing by Dying After 8 Hours @ [H]

Yea I now know why miners never purchased these cards... they can't last and mining would be a denied activity under warranty. ;)

All that secrecy and non-testing and non 3rd party validating and aggressive NDA'ing coming back to bite Nvidia and its fanboys that bought without verification. Ray-tracing performance thus far also looking like a no go. It doesn't interest me in the slightest atm. Hopefully they get their act together for a better price/performance combination before AMD has a chance to come roaring back.

All that secrecy and non-testing and non 3rd party validating and aggressive NDA'ing coming back to bite Nvidia and its fanboys that bought without verification. Ray-tracing performance thus far also looking like a no go. It doesn't interest me in the slightest atm. Hopefully they get their act together for a better price/performance combination before AMD has a chance to come roaring back.

First I would LOVE for AMD to come roaring back. But that's doubtful to me at this time. I just don't see it. PLEASE prove me wrong AMD!!

What if this is another "nvidia defect" case? A number of years ago I remember there was a huge issue with nvidia mobile gpu's where an entire generation of them were defective.

Tin foil hat rant:

Just imagine if all RTX chips are defective from the factory, an un-noticed issue until they were all built, instead of scrapping them all they released it, got most review sites to sign a NDA so it would largely go unreported. Customers would just think they got unlucky, keep RMA'ing the cards till nvidia got the non defective ti cards built and shipped.

With all these RMAs, would anyone be the wiser if Nvidia or the AiB's pried the GPUs off of the bad cards, plugged them into new cards, and sold them as new?

i think its mostly founders edition cards, if i'm correct???

Nope here is another example of just bad RTX card. This is a non ref 2070 with space invaders.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Shame really reminds me of the AMD 5870 launch. I got one of those in 09 launch and it had the famous grey screen of death. Not acceptable. Sometimes things fail, yes, but come on.

Just imagine if all RTX chips are defective from the factory, an un-noticed issue until they were all built, instead of scrapping them all they released it, got most review sites to sign a NDA so it would largely go unreported. Customers would just think they got unlucky, keep RMA'ing the cards till nvidia got the non defective ti cards built and shipped.

In countries with good consumer law a consumer can ask for a full refund at 2nd or 3rd RMA of same issue (or 3rd/4th RMA of differnt issues) on same card. Also RMA can only last 30 seconds max.
So this logic wouldn't work, because if life expectancy of the GPU is 1 month until issue shows up, then this gives them only 3 months at best - 1 month until issue shows up, maximum 30 days of RMA time, 1 month until issue shows up for 2nd time, full refund at 3 month mark.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. There is something fucked up somewhere that is common across all these cards. I'm not confident it's the die itself - I am still suspect of the voltage/power regulation of these cards. The power spikes I see seem very suspect and I can't imagine these massive swings in voltage/current while running full load are good for critical components like the GPU core itself and/or the VRAM. It could be an issue with how GPU Boost 3 works, but who knows. All I know is that i'm very suspect of my 2080Ti. Thankfully I've kept my 1080ti in my home theater system that I can pull, but at the end of the day I am just not confident with this card.

Unfortunately I am now over the 30 day return period so i'm stuck with the thing sitting here hoping it doesn't fail. I've been getting consistent very suspect crashes in Hitman 2 although I haven't written it off as the GPU failing yet as Hitman 2 appears to be crashing across the board for most nvidia users.

I have been. Every card I've refunded and just bought a new one. I went through three 2080Ti FEs. Fourth one coming from B&H is an EVGA 2080TI XC Gaming.
tenor.gif

We are now seeing these cards die in the middle of multi-hour gaming streams. We also seeing increasing reports of 2070s now insta-bricking, including AIB cards. There is abundant video evidence being posted on YouTube every day.

I think it is now safe to declare this problem as widespread. It is clearly NOT isolated to 2080TI FE cards. It only APPEARED that way at first because these were 1. the only cards shipping for a period of time and 2. FAR more popular than non-2080TI options. As more and more 2070's and 2080's, including AIB variants, are now shipping, we are seeing increased reports of problems with these cards now.

It is also safe to say that this is NOT a memory issue... a "bad batch". What are the odds both Micron AND Samsung just coincidentally shipped a "bad batch"? And that they continue to do so even on cards still shipping months after release? And from AIB partners? Near zero.

We are also seeing insta-bricks on non-reference PCB models.

The only possibility that remains is that this is a major defect in the die itself. This means ALL cards sold are suspect and could die at any time.

Watch the Twitch streamers card when it instant bricks. The guy is in TOTAL denial even though people in the stream are telling him what's up. He says "It's been working fine for over a month!" "No it must be a driver issue!". Then he admits "strange things" have been happening ever since he got the 2000 series card. The guy is also completely clueless as to what is going on. This is not an insult to him, just an observation that a LOT of people buying these cards are NOT tech savvy people. They don't read HardOCP or other tech sites. They just know VIDEO CARD = I CAN PLAY GAMES. They have near zero technical knowledge. When their card is being "strange" or insta-bricking, they are not coming to tech forums to post about it. They likely assume it is just some isolated incident and move on with a replacement.

We are now seeing cards insta-brick anywhere from being DOA out the box to insta-bricking 2+ months after 100% flawless performance.

At this point, it is entirely possible that EVERY 2000 series card is essentially a ticking time bomb that can go off from day one or possibly even a year from now. Only time will tell, but, with all the videos now showing up on YouTube, all the reports across countless tech forums, all the Reddit reports, and now "my card is dead" reviews showing up on Newegg/BestBuy/etc.... I think it is safe to say these cards are now in massive recall territory.

Also, I am now in month three of running Intel UHD 630 graphics due to still waiting for my FOURTH replacement card to get here.
The 2070 is a different die though...
So either both dies have issues (unlikely) or there is some issue with the way GDDR6 has been implemented and designed for? The artifacts appear memory-related. Memory is the only common core part between them in many ways.

Wonder if EVGA 2080ti XC cards are using a different PCB than the Nvidia FE cards?

Nope. Well, I don't believe they do. The EVGA 2080ti XC was the first of 2 2080ti's that died on me.....on my 3rd FE right now and so far so good for about 2 weeks

I have never bought a warranty upgrade on a video card before, BUT, if this EVGA 2080TI lasts for 25 days, I will go ahead and buy the EVGA upgraded advanced warranty program.... just because I suspect this thing will die within a year even if it lasts longer than my past three cards.

I really wanted an FE just because of the aesthetics.... but, I trust EVGA warranty service far more than I do the outsourced Nvidia Digital River warranty service....

As of now they are still providing free advanced RMA service. It's outsourced, but there is nothing wrong with Digital River. Nvidia is obviously paying them for the appropriate contract for the highest level of service.

The only two manufacturers i'd buy a nvidia card from are Nvidia themselves or EVGA. Although technically Nvidia's support is better at the moment due to the free advanced RMA for the life of the warranty period where as EVGA wants money after 90 days or whatever it is.

To the people who say that we can't gauge the true return rate on anecdotal evidence, I agree. However, if you look at even the anecdotes here from a statistical standpoint, the return rate has to be higher than 1 percent like nVidia says. There are multiple people on this site who have received more than one bad card. If the 1 percent rate was true, itshould be statistically impossible for almost anyone to get more than one bad card. Granted, I'm not a statistician, but I did have some statistics coursework in college.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we can safely assume it is higher than what nVidia says. I never took statistics but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.;)

This is true. My only concern is that, once (and if), Nvidia corrects this defect, and the media attention dies down, a year from now Digital River may stop being so cooperative. Right now, they are probably under orders to immediately RMA without question and play dumb about knowing anything about any problems until the spotlight goes away. I know that on my first FE, which was a day one pre-order, they gave me a runaround on doing an RMA, which is why I just did the refund. This was probably before they were told to just do the RMAs.

Also, EVGA is much easier to contact and deal with from an administrative/logistics point of view.

I agree - I think the fact that they are doing advanced RMA no question for these things indicates there is a larger problem they are aware of and are basically hoping all the bad cards are replaced with as little public attention as possible by doing this.

At this point, I would want to see REAL failure rate numbers before even CONSIDERING a purchase...not that I will buy one anyway, but this lie of "test escapes" shouldn't be allowed to fly. Not when REPLACEMENT boards are failing! I think there is something deeply and permanently flawed with the design of these cards...it's just a matter of how long it takes Nvidia to actually admit it now...

If they admit that it's a design flaw and that they were trying to cover it up, not even God can help them. Stick a fork in them, nVidia would be done for.

Now at least we have a good idea why the new cards are so expensive! To pay for all those advanced rma shipping!

As we grind harder against what the laws of physics will allow, I expect more of this kind of thing going forward. We've plucked all the low-hanging fruit.

Yes, which means that there is also a defect in the 2070 die. Something about the design of BOTH of them is killing them. Both of these models experience the exact same insta-brick issues.

There is no way at this point that it is defective memory from both Samsung AND Micron. This leaves the only possibility as being the die or possibly power regulation on the card being screwed, which in turn kills the die.

TLDR version: Both models are subject to the same flaw, Nvidia is looking at a massive PR disaster....
Yes perhaps but then we would also see failures of their commercial/quadro range which basically use the same die without some stuff lasered off..
It could also be anything related to the GDDR6 power circuitry which will be common amongst cards too.
We don't know at this point!

Have watercooled 2080 Tis been dieing too? I don't recall seeing anyone with a waterblock having theirs die.

I recall only seeing one report of a water-cooled 2080TI death on Reddit.

However, Gamers Nexus did an exhaustive investigation in which people mailed in their dead/messed up 2080TI cards to them. They conducted an extensive analysis and found NO evidence that thermals were a problem what-so-ever. They also ruled out memory as being a problem. Therefore, the problem can basically ONLY be the die itself (which means Nvidia is truly fu**ed, or something wrong with power management on the cards)

Their video is on YouTube. I suggest everyone interested in this watch it.

Cool, thanks! I had assumed it was thermals, I will check it out.

Let me guess.... never been to college?

Study commercial law.... this has class action written all over it.

Yeah good luck with a class action lawsuit. First you have to prove deceptive intent on NVIDIA's part and secondly their failure to address the problem.

They wouldn't be done far.
They wouldn't be done for in the business sense but as far as their reputation they would be done for (which is just as bad, if not worse). The whole tech community knows now, at this point if you're still buying a RTX card you're either stupid or you don't know any better.

They wouldn't be done for in the business sense but as far as their reputation they would be done for (which is just as bad, if not worse). The whole tech community knows now, at this point if you're still buying a RTX card you're either stupid or you don't know any better.

Or just buy a non-FE with good warranty.

Not like there’s a great alternative.

In this case I consider myself a casual gambler. Some might say I'm both stupid and ignorant.

Nope, see all the other times they would have been done for, same with AMD.

Damn Kyle, sending you some good vibes! Bad things come in 3's right? Let's hope not!
good-vibes.jpg

Well, no tracking number yet for a replacement, not that I expected one from Wednesday afternoon of last week. Will see if a replacement cards starts moving today.

One of the original Micron cards did get used a lot by the kids in VR this weekend, and it is still going strong.

Back