RTX 2080 Ti FE Escapes Testing by Dying After 8 Hours @ [H]

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

2. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

Wow.. just... wow. That acceptable failure rate is looking like unacceptable bullshit at this point.

Just wow....

cyclone3d, TheToE!, Dunnlang and 34 others like this.
  3. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Jinkies.

Add: I really hope someone outside nVidia can get to the bottom of the failure, we deserve an answer that isn't 'test escapes'. Not sure if that is possible, but if anyone can do it, its [H] & Co.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  4. skates15

skates15 [H]Lite

I am so glad I did not buy one. Even after they fix the issue, I'm reluctant to support them, considering this issue should never have passed QC and secondly, the higher cost of the product should mean a better product.

cyclone3d, Eurico, Maxx_Power and 8 others like this.
  5. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer [H]Lite

OMG... And to think I damn near ordered one today... I'm going to have to hold off. For the cost of these cards ... The failure rate is looking pretty unacceptable. Newegg is filled with reviews (of every card, of every manufacturer) of failing cards. Test escapes my ass.

Update Nov 29... I had my 2080Ti EVGA Black Ed show up yesterday. You guys may want to stop liking this post FYI... I totally sold out! :eek:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  6. adder1971

adder1971 n00bie

7. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

Well, Kyle's just that unlucky 0.01%, along with several other users (including myself) from [H]. We all made the obvious mistake of using the card.

8. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

9. readeh

readeh Limp Gawd

Well that sucks.. Guess it doesn't matter what ram we get.

Maxx_Power and N4CR like this.
  10. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Uhh.... congratulations? Bittersweet..
    Wish you'd had thermal video of it on failure. Guess you'll now have a 0.1% chance to try that again ;)

Maxx_Power, jnemesh and KazeoHin like this.
  11. drutman

drutman n00bie

Time to get your money back and wait a year or two to reslove issues.

Maxx_Power, ltron and Darth Kyrie like this.
  12. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Maybe it's meant to be hung up on the wall as art instead of being used?

poee, PrkChpXprss, Eurico and 18 others like this.
  13. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

HEY, that must be what Jensen meant by redefining performance!

14. Captindecisive

Captindecisive n00bie

There's an RTX on / RTX off meme in this somewhere; I can feel it.

Space Invaders is how you know the RTX is working. :p

Sucks for everyone, I feel for everyone having these issues, especially the people who relied on this as their only card.

Maxx_Power and nEo717 like this.
  15. Arcygenical

Arcygenical Will Watercool for Crack

Wow, it was the replacement card too, eh?

Things aren't boding well.

Maxx_Power, eclypse and griff30 like this.
  16. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Yeah, made finishing up the temperature comparison today a real bitch too.

17. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Didn't the replacement card have Samsung memory?

EDIT: Just read it had the Samsung memory. So maybe that rules out that it's the Micron memory.

Sulphademus, ltron and SickBeast like this.
  18. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

I'm guessing that if you'd have signed that nda, you wouldn't be reporting this.

19. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Have you tried making sure the card is plugged in? Turning it off, waiting ten seconds, and then turning it back on again? What about making sure only the latest drivers and firmware are installed? <insert other garbage, pointless frontline technical support representative questions here.>

poee, cyclone3d, Maxx_Power and 7 others like this.
  20. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Sadly without access to multiple realities we will never really know. Suffice to say it would have meant clearing it with nVidia first.

21. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

So who won the betting pool on when it would crap out?
    2/3 failure rate, not good, not good at all.

cyclone3d and ltron like this.
  22. HockeyJon

HockeyJon Gawd

The more you buy, the more you RMA.

cyclone3d, Dunnlang, eclypse and 24 others like this.
  23. robjordan406

robjordan406 [H]Lite

I predict a very good market for GTX1080Ti Cards in the next few months.....E]

Geforcepat and eclypse like this.
  24. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Quality, but remember it was just a few "test escapes". :confused:

WmOrt, Sulphademus and ltron like this.
  25. iNViSiGOD

iNViSiGOD Gawd

The way it's meant to be played... lol.

eclypse, Anemone, Roberty and 8 others like this.
  26. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

With all these RMAs, would anyone be the wiser if Nvidia or the AiB's pried the GPUs off of the bad cards, plugged them into new cards, and sold them as new?

27. Space_Ranger

Space_Ranger Gawd

Do the RTXs get hot enough to roast a turkey in the case? Make some good use out of it. $1200 Turkey Oven Maker!

28. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

Nvidia the way it's meant to be rma'ed

29. Schtask

Schtask Limp Gawd

Kyle's not the only [H] with a failed 2080ti. Mine bit the dust earlier this week. Slated for an RMA. Haven't heard back from Green Team on shipping yet. :( Hopefully they hold off on shipping mine until they can figure out what the flying f*** is wrong with their product.

cyclone3d, eclypse, Marees and 6 others like this.
  30. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Wonder if EVGA 2080ti XC cards are using a different PCB than the Nvidia FE cards?

James21 likes this.
  31. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

I wonder if the delayed launch was because they discovered an issue then decided to sell the product anyways. We’ll never know but it sure feels that way.

I sure hope the AIBs aren’t as affected... it seems true but hard to gauge.

eclypse, ltron and tunatime like this.
  32. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

This is a real shame because I was really wanting to spend $1200 on a video card so I could really stress my 1080p 60hz projector on games with the eye candy on max :D

33. reburnt

reburnt n00bie

Yes, I believe EVGA blends C-4 into theirs.

34. jgonz

jgonz [H]Lite

I continue to game for long sessions with out a fan curve at default speeds to run the card toasty. It peeks at 81c but hovers around 76c. I've OC and run benchmarks for several hours looking for any sign of potential failure. A month in and still no issues. But damn what the hell is the root cause. As it seems memory is now out of the argument since both Micron and Samsung failed.

Any ideas on what else I should be testing besides games and 3dmark benchies. Maybe I will run heaven for an overnight session. I haven't done that yet.

35. Rizen

Rizen [H]ardForum Junkie

I was considering grabbing the $999 EVGA 2080 Ti and putting my Titan XP in my theater PC for some 4K gaming.... guess I'll scrap those plans.

36. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

This is so sad... Nvidia has really been on not a fall from grace but a plummet from grace this generation. 1st there's the stupid shit they pulled with their vendors that they were busted on. Then the stupid shit with the NDA. THEN the testing and numbers around the RTX line of cards, THEN the abysmal performance of the cards in any resolution above 1080p with RTX, and NOW they can't even keep the cards working in the wild for their 'HALO' product cards. The cream of the crop, the best of the best.

Someone mentioned in another thread and I'm sorry but the name/thread escapes me, that as these cards and densities get higher you need a specific range of transistors to not have traffic/use while others nearby are in use. That designers know this and should be designing cards to not have a specific range of neighboring transistors be active and any one point in time.

My 20+ years in the IT arena makes my gut say this is part of our problem. I think we are killing off transistors on these higher clocked cards because they are running in parallel physically and this is creating a condition where the transistors actually fail. Sometimes rather spectacularly.

ltron, Dudhunter and SickBeast like this.
  37. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

just WOW so glad i voted not to sign the NDA and glad i did not buy a 2XXX series card .. i had the cash on hand too ..guess i'll get a GTX 1080 ti when i can find a new one in stock at my local microcenter , and get a new PSU and my i 7 7700 k .. i was looking at the rtx 2080 tho not the ti cards ..but screw it .... i may wait and go AMD now for my next GPU was so tempted to snag a vega 64 for $399 the other day on newegg..but i feel that's a side grade and won't help that much .. i'll wait for AMD's next card now

but even with my current Nvidia GPU they keep screwing up the drivers .. hell on my GTX 1060 i'm still using 388.71 drivers to keep my gigabyte GTX 1060 6 gig card stable ..with no overclock ..in some games

sorry for your loss ..and Nvidia better send you another GPU to replace the failing card you got ..sorry Nvidia just looks bad now .

Glock24, otg and ltron like this.
  38. managerman

managerman Limp Gawd

Just to add my .02 cents. I bought two 2080ti FE cards from Nvidia on October 22nd. Both cards died last Saturday and Sunday (11/14 and 11/15) One with space invaders and one with Black screen lockup. I have been approved for an advanced RMA but the replacement cards have not shipped yet. Both cards were not overclocked and were running on stock cooling.

Based on Kyle’s experience, I don’t have a lot of confidence that the replacement cards will have a long life.

-M

39. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Well, if you like bricks, there's always breakout. It's driver free, and won't cost you a cent.

Highwind likes this.
  40. -=SOF=-WID99

-=SOF=-WID99 Limp Gawd

so sorry to hear of your loss .. hope they send you also WORKING CARDS ..that do not blow up