RTS?

Droc

2[H]4U
Im looking to get back into the RTS games again.
My background is total annhiliation. I played that game for years, nothing has come close.
I wasnt a big fan of the C&C games, and I was very underwhelmed with Startcraft 2.
Im considering reinstalling Supreme Commander again, but Im wondering is there might be any titles that are gems that I might not have heard of.

Im more interested in base building as opposed to squad combat(warhammer, COH or men of war) style games.

Im willing to try games upto 6-7 years old.

Rise of Legends!!!!!!

e: try Age of Empires Online and report back what you think of it. I may want to try it.

The entire Total War series. Rome: TW opened my eyes to the RTS genre, and I've played the crap out of every TW game since.

Total War does not have base building in the sense he is looking for.

Basically you are looking at Supreme Commander 1 and 2 in terms of somewhat recent and notable. The first Dawn of War series may fit as well, but it isn't very base building focused.

You could try some not as known games like the LOTR Middle Earth games, I have no idea how they play though.

Total War does not have base building in the sense he is looking for.

Basically you are looking at Supreme Commander 1 and 2 in terms of somewhat recent and notable. The first Dawn of War series may fit as well, but it isn't very base building focused.

You could try some not as known games like the LOTR Middle Earth games, I have no idea how they play though.

Supcom 1 was ok, and 2 was horrible.

I have the TW games, so Ill revisit them.

Ill check TLOTR.

supcom:FA, everything else sucks..

nah kidding.. if you liked TA, i'd say the original rise of nation games for sure, didn't care much for any of the newer versions after that. um, all the DoW games suck except DoW soulstorm and it really only gets good when you mod the crap out of it. so basically yeah supcom:FA is the only RTS game worth play, lol.

I Like Earth 2140, 2150, 2160 all of which can now be had for cheap on GOG. The reviews on GOG for Earth 2140 say the GOG version is broken though so skip that one and get Earth 2150 or Earth 2160.

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne
Still recommend Company of Heroes (has some base building)
World in Conflict games
Warhammer 40k was fantastic
Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer Generals
Age of Empires
Dune 2000
Emperor Battle for Dune

I cant give enough praise to sins of a solar empire. Great RTS/4x game and you can save your very long game online with friends. Good stuff.

I looked for about a year and found nothing I liked. The last good RTS I played was Age of Empires 2.

Warcraft 3 and AOE 3 are both ok but not as good as AOE2 and WC2.

Civ5 has good city building but its turn based so not an RTS. And there is literally no point to the game other than build cites. I found myself putting hours into this game and never really know why.

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne
Still recommend Company of Heroes (has some base building)
World in Conflict games
Warhammer 40k was fantastic
Red Alert 3
Command and Conquer Generals
Age of Empires
Dune 2000
Emperor Battle for Dune

I really enjoyed C&C: Generals/Zero Hour and World in Conflict. I also had a lot of fun with Act of War: Direct Action. The sequel, High Treason, wasn't nearly as good. It strayed a little too far from what made Direct Action fun.

I Like Earth 2140, 2150, 2160 all of which can now be had for cheap on GOG. The reviews on GOG for Earth 2140 say the GOG version is broken though so skip that one and get Earth 2150 or Earth 2160.

Is that the one where you design your own units?

Is that the one where you design your own units?

Yes. From GOG's website(description for Earth 2160):

I have gotten a few other games from GOG that needed the serial number for online play and that worked fine for getting it (the D & D series had a few games that needed that).

What's cool about it:

An innovative in-game unit creator that lets you research and build your own vehicles
Good visuals that aren’t very heavy on your system
Four completely different sides of a massive conflict

Overview:

Only a few thousand humans managed to escape from the Earth before its collapse in 2150 A.D. They spent the next few years on the terra forming of the red planet, developing new technologies and building up new civilisations. Somehow each of the three fractions "Eurasian Dynasty", "United Civilised States" and "Lunar Corporation" did this independently and separately from each other - but in the year 2160 something strange happens in this new world. Will the ED, UCS and LC join forces or continue their old war against each other?

Besides the usual venues in the solar system, there are some strange looking locations: planets with moving and reflecting liquid surfaces. And beside the standard RTS - resources acquisition, base building and destruction of enemy bases, the year 2160 will have some adventure inspired tasks for the players.

Product activation notice: You will be able to play the full single-player game without using the "Product activation" button in the main menu. This function is only required for online play. To receive a multiplayer key, please contact Support. For details click here.

I wish someone made a new Imperium Galactica... (and not some spin off something with a new title)...

Don't forget Homeworld 2. That and SupCom 1 are the best RTS games I've played.

Back