• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ripped off by Windows 7

Makes no sense why they wouldn't put information about it on their site...
Makes no sense to rehash the same stance they took with XP eight years ago, and Vista three years ago. As others have said, this is nothing new. Would you prefer a marketing ulletin that says...Windows 7: Now with Plug & Play? Yes, I'm over-dramatizing, but still. Home versions of the OSes have always been single socket, even going back to when the 9x and NT kernels were split.

As I said above about multi-core processors becoming prevelant, the availability and desire of home multi-socketed motherboards is nearly non-existent. They only exist in server and workstation form...both of which would logically not be running a home OS.
 
I agree it should still be stated somewhere.

hell, even the link to winsupersite shows that Home Premium supports dual-socket, even though that information is inaccurate.

If was stated on Microsoft's site somewhere, this false information wouldn't be flown around.
 
Makes no sense to rehash the same stance they took with XP eight years ago, and Vista three years ago.

it doesn't appear to be documented anywhere on Microsoft's site for Vista, either.
atleast not where it's easy to find.

the "compare editions" states nothing about single-/dual-socket.
 
So when did "common knowledge" become a norm for marketing products? If you can show
me any documentation or official miscrosoft webpage that shows this info, let me know.

Also I really don't care about getting anything free... I just don't want some other shlub to make the same mistake I did. Microsoft does a good job explaining the differences between the products, but leaves out 1 major difference? Makes no sense why they wouldn't put information about it on their site...

The big problem is that distinguishing between a physical CPU and a core is not the simplest matter to the majority of computer users. People get confused enough with gibibytes and gigabytes and that's been around since 1999 (speaking of which, I hated that nomenclature in 1999 when I first read about it and still hate it today, but I digress). Simply putting that information on the same page will confuse a lot of potential buyers.

Also, to cement Microsoft's position on the matter with official info:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/multicore-processor-licensing.aspx
For servers:
On October 19, 2004, Microsoft announced that its server software that is currently licensed on a per-processor model will continue to be licensed on a per-processor, and not on a per-core, model.
For consumers:
How does this licensing policy affect products such as Windows XP Professional?
Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home are not affected by this policy because they are licensed per installation and not per processor. Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor. Windows XP Home supports one processor.
 
interesting.

Paul Thurrotts super site says otherwise.
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Yeah, I saw that too. (that is why I want to find it on Microsofts site, too much conflicting information on the interwebs) I checked my PC in the garage that is the same as my wifes, which is running Win 7 Ultimate (RC) and it shows 4 processors (HT) and my wifes with Win 7 Home Premium only shows 2 (HT) pretty much pisses me off. Also the server running the dual opterons only shows 1 processor, where as XP pro showed 2...

Guess I'll call MS customer service, anyone have the number??

I say you should hold Paul Thurrott responsible and make him buy your upgrades. See if you can get a lawyer to take on a class-action suit against him representing all three of the people in the world who were fooled into this for putting this on his website. Now that's the American way!:D
 
I dont see the problem..you went from XP Pro to Home Premium, thats not exactly a same level migration, XP pro to Win7 Pro would be the same.
 
I dont see the problem..you went from XP Pro to Home Premium, thats not exactly a same level migration, XP pro to Win7 Pro would be the same.

reading ftl.

if you read the thread, you would notice his main gripe is that it is not documented on MS website, which version has multi-socket CPU support. :rolleyes:

and not to mention that Paul Thurrott has it out in the open that Home Premium DOES have multi-socket CPU support, which is, in fact, not true.
 
Guys, we are talking about an Operating System here. Supported hardware configurations should be documented.
 
reading ftl.

if you read the thread, you would notice his main gripe is that it is not documented on MS website, which version has multi-socket CPU support. :rolleyes:

and not to mention that Paul Thurrott has it out in the open that Home Premium DOES have multi-socket CPU support, which is, in fact, not true.

It was still a 'downgrade' from a pro version, to a home version.
Yes, relatively, 7HP should be better then XPPro...

But still. You downgraded, and expected MORE features?
 
It was still a 'downgrade' from a pro version, to a home version. You downgraded, and expected MORE features?
The distinction between Pro and Home is entirely arbitrary. I don't know why you guys are getting so hung up on what labels Microsoft applies to their products when they're the ones who define what constitutes those products and where the distinction is.

That distinction, as has been explained, hasn't been thoroughly documented by Microsoft.
 
It was still a 'downgrade' from a pro version, to a home version.
Yes, relatively, 7HP should be better then XPPro...

But still. You downgraded, and expected MORE features?

another reading ftl :rolleyes:

wait... MORE features? No, more like the SAME features.

and as I said, which you quoted, is that the main gripe is that it IS NOT DOCUMENTED

Microsoft really should document what hardware configurations are supported throughout their different flavors of the OS.
 
The big problem is that distinguishing between a physical CPU and a core is not the simplest matter to the majority of computer users. People get confused enough with gibibytes and gigabytes and that's been around since 1999 (speaking of which, I hated that nomenclature in 1999 when I first read about it and still hate it today, but I digress). Simply putting that information on the same page will confuse a lot of potential buyers.

Also, to cement Microsoft's position on the matter with official info:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/multicore-processor-licensing.aspx
For servers:

For consumers:

OK, so you found a place where it clearly says it about XP (kind of an obscure place though). For an 8-yr old OS released when there weren't really dual-core chips. Show me or the OP the same page for win7.
 
In place upgrade to Win 7 pro should be cost effective enough.
$90 x2 to gain access to all your cpu's. Honestly the Home Premium 3 pack is a bargain, and it rightly should be to make these things affordable to families. But also remember that a 4, 6 and eventually 8 cores on a single chip are the wave of the future, so this licensing system is very understandable.

You might even be able to live with one machine upgrade to Win 7 pro
 
I just got windows 7, but haven't installed it yet....

...I'll be installing it here soon, i there always seems to be some issues with O.S. when they first come out.

The best thing to have is a good running system the handles the requirments well before you even go forward with it.


Hope all is well*

Tip to a noobie: Kill the Comic Sans font. It has no place in this world!
 
Well, I was going to flame a little about everybody knowing about the Home Premium/Pro distinction, but look what I dug out of the EULA for Win 7 HP:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. Except as allowed in Section 2 (b) below, you may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b. Family Pack. If you are a “Qualified Family Pack User”, you may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the “licensed computers” and are subject to these license terms. If you do not know whether you are a Qualified Family Pack User, visit go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?Linkid=141399 or contact the Microsoft affiliate serving your country.

c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

d. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.

e. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

EULAs are available here.
 
All you guys spewing the "Home has always been limited to one socket" line might want to read the Windows 7 Home Premium EULA....

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

c. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed
computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.


EDIT: jaegertech's reply wasn't there when I started my post.
 
subscribed for fun :)

It looks like MS screwed up!
Maybe they will provide an update to allow 2 CPUs on the Home version or they might have to swallow a free OS upgrade for anyone with dual CPUs.
 
subscribed for fun :)

It looks like MS screwed up!
Maybe they will provide an update to allow 2 CPUs on the Home version or they might have to swallow a free OS upgrade for anyone with dual CPUs.

The best that could be hoped for is getting your money back and having to uninstall the pack from all your systems.
 
Devil's Advocate: It says you may install Windows 7 on a system with up to two processors, however, it doesn't say it would actually use them.
 
The best that could be hoped for is getting your money back and having to uninstall the pack from all your systems.

If someone does start a class action they may be able to sue for loss of time due to such an upgrade method.
MS can be pinned down in some way.
 
Devil's Advocate: It says you may install Windows 7 on a system with up to two processors, however, it doesn't say it would actually use them.

Actually, it pretty much says exactly that you can use the software on both CPUs at the same time.
 
The OS works with both installed; that much is obvious since the OP has it installed on those machines and posted because he noticed only 1 of 'em was being recognized, so that's a non-issue overall. Could save on some power wasting by pulling one out, or, as noted, just use the Anytime Upgrade and move up. That's the "proper" solution to his situation, regardless of whether or not he chooses to implement it.
 
Just to update the post. A manager from microsoft called me back the other night and he was very concerned about my call. He told me that they don't have any documentation on what version of Windows 7 supports dual processor, but they are working on it. He also told me that he played my call for his upper management and that they couldn't find anything on Microsoft's site that stated it neither. Also they where going to let sales and marketing know, since they are concerned that I'm not the only one that is going to have this issue, I'm just the first one that brought it to their attention. I'm going to call them back and show them what the EULA says. Pretty interesting, that must be where Paul on the winsupersite got his information from... I'll keep you updated.
 
I guess the marketing drones figured very few people at home have dual cpu's any more with the advent of multiple cores.
 
Just to update the post. A manager from microsoft called me back the other night and he was very concerned about my call. He told me that they don't have any documentation on what version of Windows 7 supports dual processor, but they are working on it. He also told me that he played my call for his upper management and that they couldn't find anything on Microsoft's site that stated it neither. Also they where going to let sales and marketing know, since they are concerned that I'm not the only one that is going to have this issue, I'm just the first one that brought it to their attention. I'm going to call them back and show them what the EULA says. Pretty interesting, that must be where Paul on the winsupersite got his information from... I'll keep you updated.

thanks for the update! :D
keep us posted, because I'm curious to see how this ends.
 
Just to update the post. A manager from microsoft called me back the other night and he was very concerned about my call. He told me that they don't have any documentation on what version of Windows 7 supports dual processor, but they are working on it. He also told me that he played my call for his upper management and that they couldn't find anything on Microsoft's site that stated it neither. Also they where going to let sales and marketing know, since they are concerned that I'm not the only one that is going to have this issue, I'm just the first one that brought it to their attention. I'm going to call them back and show them what the EULA says. Pretty interesting, that must be where Paul on the winsupersite got his information from... I'll keep you updated.

so any update/resolution?
 
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/home-premium.aspx
"While all editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual processors."

I never looked on the individual product pages, since that should be stated at the home "Compare Editions" screen, not on the individual products pages.

But I do admit, I did not look at the individual pages. So that's my bad.


so any update/resolution?

+1!
 
My first thought after reading this thread was "holy shit, I can't believe you were the first person to bring that to their attention."

But, then I realized how big a marketing effort a Windows launch is.... it's not really surprising someone overlooked it.

On a related note, is there a fucking users manual for Windows? Seriously, I'm not joking. I know there is a help function in the OS, but is there a user manual with actual chapters/section online or otherwise? I would actually like one... I've always liked to have the manuals for software.... like Slackware, etc..... I've never actually needed one for Windows, but I would like one. You never know...

Don't kill me for asking this :D
 
can't say I've seen a Windows user manual since... 3.1/3.11? Wait... I think Win95 did. Can't remember if 98+ did.
 
Windows 98 came with a getting started guide. We won't kill you for asking, but if you do need a user manual for Windows, then you shouldn't be allowed to cop an attitude with others in other threads. ;)
 
Back
Top