RIM Unveils iPad Competitor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't you think the new BlackBerry PlayBook kinda looks like an iPad for business users?

"It's ultra-mobile and it's ultra-thin. The PlayBook delivers a no-compromises web experience," he said. The PlayBook weighs 400 grams (14 ounces). It will launch with a dual-core, one gigahertz processor running a QNX kernel and operating system that can incorporate BlackBerry OS 6, which RIM introduced in its Torch smartphone in August.

Man, the besel on that thing is huge!

It does look big, but in one shot it doesn't look overly big, you do need somewhere to put your fingers to hold the device without pressing the screen, so I welcome that kind of spacing.

The dual-core nature is nice, a little small at 7" though, the screen really should be bigger.

Hopefully RIM will release a 10" version in the near future, but 7" is nice because it is so portable.

I'm anxious to play with the new QNX OS, once RIM has a radio stack this will be the OS for the future.

HP has an investor call tomorrow, with the announcement of the Blackberry I have a funny feeling HP will have a launch date for the Slate as its been rumored for months that it would be launched in October since this summer.

People make too much of the bezel, I have a W100 which has 7" screens and Brent's right on the money, you a way to hold the device without touching the screen and a bezel and people have made the same comment about the W100 but if the bezel were any smaller I wouldn't be able to comfortably hold the device so there's really nothing wrong with the bezel size of the Blackberry comparing to the W100.

for some strange reason first time read the name i understood blackberry playboy instead of playbook get it?

The fact that you need another blackberry phone to sync to it to make calls is going to be a problem for some. They just should have made it a phone as well.

I consider it a good thing, I suppose, that more competition exists these days in the tablet/slate market, but since Microsoft and other companies are so behind the times meaning nobody seems to be able to put shit on a shelf instead of only in prototype videos and mockups I really don't see the point of this one. We'll see how things go but, I don't know a single person that would get one, especially not myself.

While I had hopes that a good decent Windows 7-based tablet/slate would appear, after HP dropped the ball months ago and is now trying to scramble fast and reincarnate that Slate, I've pretty much decided that if I spend my hard earned cash on a device it'll be Android powered and I'll focus on that. If it flops, if it's not capable of doing what I require being done then I'll consider other options but, it really is irritating that so many companies just keep announcing, announcing, announcing, and nobody is stocking shelves but Apple, and I'm not giving them another cent.

My next devices will be an Archos 43 for a PMP and the Archos 101 for a tablet/slate device. I sure hope Archos has finally got their shit together with this 8th generation of their products...

You guys realize this is basically 100% business focused, right? They care about security and function, anything less means the costs raise astronomically with IT support issues.

What's the big deal with iPad now? It seems apple added mega-hype with their spamming... and now everyone wants to remake tablet PCs again.

Strange

<snip>

My next devices will be an Archos 43 for a PMP and the Archos 101 for a tablet/slate device. I sure hope Archos has finally got their shit together with this 8th generation of their products...

After 7 previous generations of buggy, under supported and flaky hardware/software you show how think Archos is going to get is "shit together"? You sir are an optimist, and this coming from a Archos owner (an Archos PocketDish DAP from many a year ago).

After 7 previous generations of buggy, under supported and flaky hardware/software you show how think Archos is going to get is "shit together"? You sir are an optimist, and this coming from a Archos owner (an Archos PocketDish DAP from many a year ago).

Even Apple came back from near death... hell, even Packard Bell made some decent machines at one point, but it took a long long time to get 'em to change. I'm willing to give Archos a chance. Just one, and that's it.

You guys realize this is basically 100% business focused, right? They care about security and function, anything less means the costs raise astronomically with IT support issues.

RIM is losing its grip in the business market too, but whats the point of something like this for business use? A blackberry or any smartphone and cheap laptop will service employees a lot better than something like this. No link to any cell phone network so its useless on the road. Being able to mirror a blackberry is nice, but its functionality is severly limited even compared to one of the phones.

I will say one thing though, the specs on it do look nice.

This form factor is stupid no matter what company makes it. Also, while Apple sucks, RIM also sucks.

The fact that you need another blackberry phone to sync to it to make calls is going to be a problem for some. They just should have made it a phone as well.

Why would anyone sync with a phone to make a call? Wouldn't they just make the call on the phone?

If its business focused then why call it playbook? I liked BlackPad better, maybe even PadBerry.

From a business IT perspective its pretty worthless without a built in phone. Even with a phone it sems like it would have very limited functionality in a business environment. That said, we have more than a few users who want to look "ccol" and want the latest toys to play with. On the occasion they do get their toys, then they complain when they can't make it do what they want it to. Of course they've been told what the limitations are, they just don't want to listen.

Lather rinse repeat.....

Back