Rift CV1 3rd Sensor Issues

Hey guys. I was on the road pretty much all of 2019 for work and had little to no to time to play with my Rift CV1. In the flurry of software updates (and one hardware update) that I managed to do in my time home, something about my 3-sensor setup broke.

Once every three to seven seconds, my viewpoint in game will twitch. It'll roll 10-15° to my right for a split second then snap back. It's been annoying me in Blade & Sorcery for a bit but I just assumed it was Early Access problems. Picked up Stormlands the other day and the behavior is there too - joined by a message that my headset has moved out of the tracked area. I started paying more attention and realized it's happening in Oculus Home as well.

Did a little reading and unplugged my third (rear) sensor. The issue stopped completely.

However, not sure where to proceed from here. I tried redoing the sensor tracking bit, it didn't help. My three-sensor setup didn't do this last year. Any tips on where to start troubleshooting?

Hey guys. I was on the road pretty much all of 2019 for work and had little to no to time to play with my Rift CV1. In the flurry of software updates (and one hardware update) that I managed to do in my time home, something about my 3-sensor setup broke.

Once every three to seven seconds, my viewpoint in game will twitch. It'll roll 10-15° to my right for a split second then snap back. It's been annoying me in Blade & Sorcery for a bit but I just assumed it was Early Access problems. Picked up Stormlands the other day and the behavior is there too - joined by a message that my headset has moved out of the tracked area. I started paying more attention and realized it's happening in Oculus Home as well.

Did a little reading and unplugged my third (rear) sensor. The issue stopped completely.

However, not sure where to proceed from here. I tried redoing the sensor tracking bit, it didn't help. My three-sensor setup didn't do this last year. Any tips on where to start troubleshooting?

Try putting the third sensor into the USB 2.0 ports, preferably something like in front of the case so itnis definetly in a different circuit. I am having the same issue with just two sensors and one of them has to be connected into the front of the case, some mobos just have crappy USB circuits that Oculus sensors overwhelm, and why some people have gone and bought a PCIe USB card that are known to work with the Rift CV1.

Try putting the third sensor into the USB 2.0 ports, preferably something like in front of the case so itnis definetly in a different circuit. I am having the same issue with just two sensors and one of them has to be connected into the front of the case, some mobos just have crappy USB circuits that Oculus sensors overwhelm, and why some people have gone and bought a PCIe USB card that are known to work with the Rift CV1.
Okay, so here's my current setup:

One sensor is plugged into a USB3 port on the front of the case, which lands on the USB3 header on the mobo.

One sensor is plugged into a USB2 port on the back of the motherboard (Asus Prime X570).

The final is plugged into a USB3 expansion card, which is plugged into a PCIe3 1x port.

You mention an expansion card known to work with Oculus - can you point me in the right direction on one of those?

I dont remember what exactly other than iy was Inatek or something like that. There are plenty of discussions on Oculus forum and Reddit. There should be other brands too. Have you tried different combinations, offloading the USB stress from the motherboard to the USB expansion card?

I dont remember what exactly other than iy was Inatek or something like that. There are plenty of discussions on Oculus forum and Reddit. There should be other brands too. Have you tried different combinations, offloading the USB stress from the motherboard to the USB expansion card?
Haven't yet, no. That'll be my next step. Unfortunately all my cables are bundled and managed so it's gonna be an ordeal. 😏

Haven't yet, no. That'll be my next step. Unfortunately all my cables are bundled and managed so it's gonna be an ordeal. 😏

The reason why I do not do cable management. It looks nice at first until you have to change something. 😅

I've seen that happen in two scenarios:

That could be a bad sensor. Your setup sounds okay. Old advice on everything was no more than 2 USB 3 tracking cameras on one USB 3 controller and so forth but with software/driver updates since the sensors are actually pretty good about switching to USB 2 on their own pretty well if theres a bandwith issue.

Assuming your 3rd sensor is on an extension cable I'd also suggest looking into the possibility its a low power issue on the sensor. I had to switch to USB extensions with an externally powered repeater on them to get my now retired 4 sensor setup working.

You mention an expansion card known to work with Oculus - can you point me in the right direction on one of those?

This card.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Happened too me too. It was a bad sensor. Check to see if the white light comes on the top of the sensor. If not, probably a dead sensor.

Back