RIAA: Net Neutrality Shouldn't Inhibit Antipiracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
By now the RIAA should know the only reason I post anything about them at all is so that we can publicly ridicule them. Please feel free to begin doing so now (in the comments section).

The lobbying group for the top four recording companies wants to make sure that when regulations on Net neutrality are adopted, they don't impede antipiracy efforts. That's why the Recording Industry Association of America on Thursday asked the Federal Communications Commission to "adopt flexible rules" that free Internet service providers to fight copyright theft.

This idea makes perfect logical sense. It's why I've come to expect only the highest quality logic from an esteemed organization such as the RIAA.

riaa.jpg

We need more people like this.

Preparing for doomsday and going back to BBS days.... Whats the emoticon for pointing and laughing?

;^D --> RIAA

The issue here, is that it's a one-way street. There is NO protection for consumers.

The RIAA is judge, jury and executioner.

That, IMHO, is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed. The RIAA is not a law enforcement agency, much as they think they may be.

The next thing you know, we'll be waking up Sylvester Stallone from his Cryogenic freezer to go fight the evil empire.

And if the CEO of the RIAA is named Raymond Cocteau I'll just shit myself.

They'll make it so net neutrality doesn't throttle internet connection EXCEPT for when someone is using P2P networks in a questionable manner. And ALL P2P traffic will be questionable, so all traffic will be throttled.

See how that works? Fucked if you do, fuck if you don't.

RIAA DIAF

Why not include 'antipiracy rules' that precisely define what the RIIA can and cannot do so they can't define their own rules. Shove net neutrality right up their ass, so to speak.

The issue here, is that it's a one-way street. There is NO protection for consumers.

The RIAA is judge, jury and executioner.

That, IMHO, is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed. The RIAA is not a law enforcement agency, much as they think they may be.

Absolutely

I don't see how in anyway net neutrality could hinder anti-privacy efforts...

By definition, net neutrality would protect anti-piracy efforts...

IF ISPs could do anything they want ala no net netrality, they could block p2p scans that RIAA are using to find targets/patsies.

Stupid RIAA, making a loophole for anti-piracy defeats the whole purpose of neutrality.

You're giving special consideration to a single group, thereby polarizing the entire network. Net neutrality should serve to make the internet a level playing field for everyone, i.e. if the RIAA wants to track and stop piracy, it may do so within the same set of rules as the people pirating their property.

They should not get their own backdoor to the communications of every citizen just because someone might be sharing a work they think is theirs. Since they are not a law enforcement agency they have no right to access information that real law enforcement agencies would need probable cause or a warrant to search. The RIAA should have to go through the proper channels and only law enforcement with proper authorization should be able to monitor a suspected pirate's traffic.

This whole business of the RIAA fingering "guilty" parties and having their connections severed without due process is an outrage and a direct threat to the future of the internet.

im sure i saw yesterday that the RIAA is facing monopoly or collusion charges for price fixing of songs/cds

the RIAA/MPAA can diaf

Would all of you just stop and think for a minute. You have to understand that this is the only way that the CEO of the RIAA will be able to buy that 200ft yacht this year. If they can't, then he will have to settle for 190ft yacht and we can't have that happen now can we.

Would all of you just stop and think for a minute. You have to understand that this is the only way that the CEO of the RIAA will be able to buy that 200ft yacht this year. If they can't, then he will have to settle for 190ft yacht and we can't have that happen now can we.

No, that would make my face look like the one following this sentence. :(

I'm beginning to think that a certain demolition method I mentioned a while back should be employed against the RIAA offices.

Wow. This latest bit of commentary from the RIAA is a big bucket of fail. The RIAA members need to get over themselves. :rolleyes:

The world does not revolve around Big Content, nor does federal law, nor does the Internet. The 'net in particular got along just fine for years without Big Content on board and will continue to thrive even (or especially) if they all DIAF. On top of that, plenty of digital industries manage to compete with piracy just fine, by putting out a product with guaranteed quality and by not treating their customers like shit.

Plus, considering that the big music labels have had to pay out at least once in the past for price-fixing and are currently on trial again for similar antics, they're not in any position to talk about what's right, wrong, or legal.

Back