RIAA Hammers Google With DMCA Takedown Requests

HardOCP News

[H] News
Where in the world does the RIAA get the manpower to submit over one million takedown requests in a two week period? Wow!

Very soon the six strikes anti-piracy program will kick off in the United States but the RIAA isn’t just sitting back and presuming that it will be an anti-piracy cure-all. Since early November the recording industry group has massively upped the number of DMCA notices it issues to make content harder to find. From an average of between 200,000 and 240,000 URL requests sent every week to Google, the RIAA has just posted 463,000 and 666,000 in successive weeks.

Where in the world does the RIAA get the manpower to submit over one million takedown requests in a two week period? Wow!

Santa's little helpers?

christmas-elves.jpg

Oh f'k those guys. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've cut my spending on media dramatically over the past few years. Knowing that these guys are still up to their usual hijinks makes me want to cut my yearly spending on music to zero.

Is it as easy to sue them for a false DMCA take-downs as it is to submit these 1,000,000 take down notices? If so, I would imagine that could put them out of business very quickly if they start getting fined for false or improper take down notices.

As mentioned above, I've cut my media buying back quite a bit because of these ass clowns.

I bet at least half a million of those were youtube video takedown requests. Lord knows the youtube is stealing their profitz!

One million requests? That's insane...how does the RIAA have the staff needed to generate that many requests, and how much staff does Google have to allocate to dealing with them?

It doesn't surprise me. I download my TV shows rather than DVRing them b/c I like to watch them on my PC and a few shows get taken down quickly. What I don't get is why don't they get on board with how people are using their product. I mean, if they would put the episode up on their website that day I would watch it there. I know it has one commercial every 10 minutes or so you can't skip, but it's better than normal TV. Besides, I just browse the internet while the commercial runs...who actually pays attention to them?

Point being is they are so busy fighting progress. They can make money off the changing landscape they are just refusing to change.

I'm at the point now where I want to see the RIAA and MPAA get away with every little dirty tactic and unconstitutional bill passed through bought out Congress, simply because most of the citizens of this country are too apathetic to give a shit until it directly affects them. It's the only way people will really start caring anymore. This is the anarchist in me coming out in me so I apologize for the negative attitude, but truth is you know I'm right till everyone starts waking up.

I'm at the point now where I want to see the RIAA and MPAA get away with every little dirty tactic and unconstitutional bill passed through bought out Congress, simply because most of the citizens of this country are too apathetic to give a shit until it directly affects them. It's the only way people will really start caring anymore. This is the anarchist in me coming out in me so I apologize for the negative attitude, but truth is you know I'm right till everyone starts waking up.

With gas prices up around $4/gallon and a generally crappy economy, I don't think people are going to get all riled up over that latest episode of Family Guy being taken off YouTube. Things like this are way down on people's list of priorities at least right now.

This is how I felt after New York got away with passing the 16oz soft drink law. I didn't think it had a shot in hell, but it passed and you can apparently do whatever you want to the public.

after the new bill just got passed here in canada, format shifting is legal ... so who is the RIAA to tell google that I'm not allowed to download a tv show which according to canadian law is legal since it was broadcast without the norecord on a canadian network (90% of HD tv recordings come from canadian networks which you see if they forget to blur the company logo in bottom right), to which i'm already paying my fees to.

To bad jailbreaking for us is now illegal :/ they give with one hand... take away with the other.

We, the consumers, hate you, and would find great pleasure in seeing you fail, hard, and so spectacularly that a national holiday was created to celebrate the event of your demise.

-Regards
The People You Keep Trying To Shit On

The number of requests is soo high because its all automated. I'm guessing they are looking for hashes or keywords and submitting the request. Doesn't mean the request is valid though.

The number of requests is soo high because its all automated. I'm guessing they are looking for hashes or keywords and submitting the request. Doesn't mean the request is valid though.

this will only drive it underground, not get rid of the problem

>Person files false DMCA request, gets taken to court, sued
>RIAA/MPAA files false DMCA request, nothing happens

LOVE AMERICA!

So uh, what was that ex-lawyer by the name of Tom or whatever who got barred for trolling so much against the video game industry?

People will be too afraid to discover new music, for fear of getting sued, while the only music that they are exposed to is the music that the big corporations want them to hear, because the big corporations control the media.

The arts in the USA amount to skulduggery... very little hope for genuine artists who do not wish to taint their vision, unless that vision includes exploitation.:eek:

People will be too afraid to discover new music, for fear of getting sued, while the only music that they are exposed to is the music that the big corporations want them to hear, because the big corporations control the media.

The arts in the USA amount to skulduggery... very little hope for genuine artists who do not wish to taint their vision, unless that vision includes exploitation.:eek:

Thus is why I listen to a select few artist religiously and nothing else..

yawn

as if the US isnt broke enuff , here comes another law that will drag it further into debt...

he isn't wrong I have a noob friend that searches for torrents on google!

It didn't sound like he was referring to simply using it for torrents, hence my reply.

If that was the real intent, though, then yeah, I agree.

They are using automated tools for this, but that must make it very likely that there are many mistakes in their data.

We, the consumers, hate you, and would find great pleasure in seeing you fail, hard, and so spectacularly that a national holiday was created to celebrate the event of your demise.

-Regards
The People You Keep Trying To Shit On

Ooooh, what would we call it? Death to Douches Day?

They should write them an email saying this:

Dear RIAA

Stop hammer time.

Thank you,
Google
xxx

p.s. Fuck you.

this will only drive it underground, not get rid of the problem

um, it already is underground and has been since log before Google ever came around..(usenet.....)

youtube is piracy for idiots, more so than P2P.

um, it already is underground and has been since log before Google ever came around..(usenet.....)

youtube is piracy for idiots, more so than P2P.

Unfortunately, even that is not underground any longer. Regular DMCA requests are put through with files going down quickly.

And they will continue to get away with it. Obama and Biden are bought and paid for by the RIAA. Obama has stacked the department of justice with RIAA lawyers.

This. Anybody remember when the nebula awards stream got shut-down by a riaa content bot? Expect this trend to continue.

Unfortunately, even that is not underground any longer. Regular DMCA requests are put through with files going down quickly.

It is if you dont subscribe to all of the public sites like giganews et cetera ;) ;)

Pretty sure it's all automated, hence the large number of false claims.

Six strikes hmm, what are you guys going to do now? I know I'll continue to download F1 rips as there is no other viable option for me :)

It doesn't surprise me. I download my TV shows rather than DVRing them b/c I like to watch them on my PC and a few shows get taken down quickly. What I don't get is why don't they get on board with how people are using their product. I mean, if they would put the episode up on their website that day I would watch it there. I know it has one commercial every 10 minutes or so you can't skip, but it's better than normal TV. Besides, I just browse the internet while the commercial runs...who actually pays attention to them?

Point being is they are so busy fighting progress. They can make money off the changing landscape they are just refusing to change.
I agree 100%. I pay around $40 a month in various services to get my TV and movies illegally and I'd give them all of that and more if they'd pull their heads out of their asses and offer a similar service.

Back