Review Guide from AMD

I made it 4 pages before It almost put me to sleep, do you actually read the entire thing when they send it to you?
 
I actually thought that was a pretty fair document. Pretty standard marketing speak and optimistically scaled graphs, but that would be expected. Nothing jumped out at me as being ridiculous, although I have heard NVIDIA's is/was worse? I'm curious to see that.
 
I'm a little bit confused as to how they got over 100% CFX scaling...
 
They didn't, look at the graph again.

FarCry2:

Single: 55.65 * 2 =111.34

CFX: 111.77

In fairness that is a pretty small amount but I also find it odd that nearly every one of those benchmarks show like 99.9% CFX scaling. I mean, those numbers are literally so close to 100% it's almost like they just multiplied the single-card results by 2.
 
FarCry2:

Single: 55.65 * 2 =111.34

CFX: 111.77

In fairness that is a pretty small amount but I also find it odd that nearly every one of those benchmarks show like 99.9% CFX scaling. I mean, those numbers are literally so close to 100% it's almost like they just multiplied the single-card results by 2.
Well, I'll wait until HardOCP's report on the CFX performance to draw a conclusion, but I know that the 6800 series and 6900 had very good scaling compared to the 5800 series, often around 90%. So obviously AMD has been hard at work on getting their scaling up to par. I don't think 100% is entirely out of the question in some cases but who knows?

A difference of .4 fps, out of a score of 111fps, is a tiny difference that is well within the margin of error.
 
I made it 4 pages before It almost put me to sleep, do you actually read the entire thing when they send it to you?

I glance over it, not at the benchmarks, but mainly to make sure I'm covering all the features I can, such as when things like MLAA/SSAA are talked about, etc... I don't want to miss any new features a card or driver brings to the table, so for me, it's a good resource to make sure I'm not missing any features.

Also note the end of the document, detailing FRAPS, this has been a staple in AMD/ATI reviewers guides since we here at HardOCP started using it as a standard for real-world gameplay evaluation. A long long time ago, no one was concerned about FRAPS, but since we started using it years ago for all real-world data, then AMD saw the importance of it and added that info into their documents. I like that, they see the value in real-world gaming evaluation.
 
Thanks! I always wonder about these things. I asked a while back about review guides and if there was pressure to review it their way. I think your response was along the lines of "They can't tell me shit". I love the reviews here!

It looks like this guide is along the lines of "here's about what you should expect from these cards and also our company rocks". I imagine Nvidia's guides say something similar.
 
Very interesting... I was wondering what these looked like. Thanks for sharing this. People also need to read your articles before frothing at the mouth, but I digress.
 
I glance over it, not at the benchmarks, but mainly to make sure I'm covering all the features I can, such as when things like MLAA/SSAA are talked about, etc... I don't want to miss any new features a card or driver brings to the table, so for me, it's a good resource to make sure I'm not missing any features.

Also note the end of the document, detailing FRAPS, this has been a staple in AMD/ATI reviewers guides since we here at HardOCP started using it as a standard for real-world gameplay evaluation. A long long time ago, no one was concerned about FRAPS, but since we started using it years ago for all real-world data, then AMD saw the importance of it and added that info into their documents. I like that, they see the value in real-world gaming evaluation.

Same here. Though I rarely get actual review guides. Intel's are probably among the most informative.
 
Back
Top