Returnal (PS5)

Returnal Patch 1.3.3

The first post-launch patch for Returnal has arrived, but it comes with a bit of a caveat...as many have noted/complained Returnal does not let you save in the middle of a run, which in many cases can last a couple hours or more...in order to get around this restriction, many are putting Returnal in Rest Mode mid-way through runs as a crude save of sorts, but if the new update downloads while the game is in Rest Mode that run will be wiped by a reset

Housemarque is recommending players wanting to keep their run via Rest Mode turn off auto-updates...

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/5/5/returnal-patch-133?

https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1389656160056315904

I don't understand the "no save" mindset. Only "roguelite" I've played that didn't offer a save option was Rogue Legacy, but runs in that game were really short. They couldn't drag on like this game or others like Dead Cells.

Really enjoying this one so far. Gameplay loop is fun and the sound is amazing - really great surround implementation.

I guess I got lucky with items because I beat the first two bosses on my second run. Had the third boss to half health before it got me. Had some decent regen items so that was probably the biggest help.

The whole save thing is really annoying though. Took me hours to get to the third boss and I don't want to be forced into that time commitment every time I play. Yes you can put the game in rest mode but so many things can screw that up. I don't think I want to start planning around system updates and game patches.

New Returnal Update 1.3.4 Deployed After Yesterday’s 1.3.3 Patch Gets Pulled

Yesterday, the developer deployed a new update for Returnal, but shortly after its release, the patch was pulled and the game version was reverted to 1.3.1...apparently, various users were presented with a CE-100028-1 error after applying the 1.3.3 patch

on Twitter, Housemarque advised owners of the game to don’t start the game until a new update has been made available...in addition, all users affected by the CE-100028-1 are required to re-download Returnal on PlayStation 5...

https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1390053362616389632

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Remember this guy anyone?

Nice, I was subbed to Rev3 games when he was on there too and then that channel died years ago. So I've been waiting for him to come back in some capacity. I don't see Morgan Webb on that channel anywhere though in the thumbnails. Is she back too?

Edit: Looks like they got back together like 5 months ago.

Last edited:
Sony Acquires Housemarque, Developer of PS5 Title 'Returnal'

Today, Sony announced that Housemarque had officially become an in-house studio

“Housemarque has flexed its creative palette on a wide range of PlayStation games over the years that have continually showcased the power of our hardware,” said Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment head, in a written statement. “The addition of Housemarque to PlayStation Studios reiterates our commitment to elevating the best development teams in the industry and delivering new experiences that can only be found on the PlayStation platform”...

https://kotaku.com/sony-acquires-housemarque-developer-of-ps5-title-retur-1847191982

like this
I've been in the mood to try something different. This game has had my eye for a little while even though I tend to usually shy away from "rogue" type games. I went for it. I've put two hours or so into it so far and I like it. A little frustrating but that's to be expected. It certainly has a lot of impressive aspects for it. Any and all advice for noobs appreciated.

I've been in the mood to try something different. This game has had my eye for a little while even though I tend to usually shy away from "rogue" type games. I went for it. I've put two hours or so into it so far and I like it. A little frustrating but that's to be expected. It certainly has a lot of impressive aspects for it. Any and all advice for noobs appreciated.
Hades drove me nuts with starting over & over & over again (I don't think I like rogue or rogue-likes). I'm still on the fence about getting Returnal.

like this
Hades drove me nuts with starting over & over & over again (I don't think I like rogue or rogue-likes). I'm still on the fence about getting Returnal.

I basically am like you.

Despite myself I pulled the trigger and I like it... lol, we'll see if it ends up where I wasted that money or not. I really want to give it the try because there is enough here to merit the effort and I was in the mood for something new and different.

Hitting that first boss and after multiple attempts, I'm getting that sinking feeling. I went on youtube to get some tips so I'm not ready to give up yet.

Sold my copy on ebay yesterday, never beat final boss. It's fun but frustrating at the same time. I much preferred Hades over this.

like this
Hitting that first boss and after multiple attempts, I'm getting that sinking feeling. I went on youtube to get some tips so I'm not ready to give up yet.
Focus more on not getting hit, and less on trying to damage him quickly, after you get the movement figured out you can kill him without getting hit.

like this
Focus more on not getting hit, and less on trying to damage him quickly, after you get the movement figured out you can kill him without getting hit.

I need to get the carbine and buff it up before going in there. A little "prep grind." The aim assist is defaulted at medium. Normally I'm anti aim assist but I've gone back and forth with myself with this game.

I quit. I just can't hack this game. Ah well. I certainly have taken gambles on far worse games that's for sure. There is a lot to like here but I'm going to have to stick to "nothing with 'rogue' in it." Too bad.

I just picked this back up recently. Played some at release then put it down for a while.

It took me many tries but I finally managed to beat the third boss the other day. After that you go into Act 2 and the difficulty ramps up even more.

Debating if I want to hang onto it and see if I can ever beat it or just give up now :)

Last edited:
I just picked this back up recently. Played some at release then put it down for a while.

It took me many tries but I finally managed to beat the third boss the other day. After that you go into Act 2 and the difficulty ramps up even more.

Debating if I want to hang onto it and see if I can ever beat it or just give up now :)
First boss was tough till i figured the timing out, second boss was very hard for me. Third wasn't too bad except for the final phase, 4th boss and entire biome I beat in my first time trying... no idea how.

Is there a 5th boss? I can't make it far enough to find out.

First boss was tough till i figured the timing out, second boss was very hard for me. Third wasn't too bad except for the final phase, 4th boss and entire biome I beat in my first time trying... no idea how.

Is there a 5th boss? I can't make it far enough to find out.

Yeah the 4th boss wasn't too bad. I got close the first time and beat it the second run through. I'm in the same boat - can't seem to make it very far into the next level.

Looks like there are 6 biomes with 5 bosses.

Can someone help me understand what "Roguelike" is, and to what respects Returnal is "Roguelike?" The only thing I've found online about what a "Roguelike" is is that there are procedural generated.... things. However I am not sure that has anything to do with Returnal itself.

I have the game arriving on Gamefly and I did watch a trailer for it which is what got me interested in it, but I avoided reviews and gameplay vids so I don't spoil anything for myself. All I know about Returnal is that the graphics are amazing, it's supposedly difficult (are all Roguelikes difficult?), and it has s sci-fi aspect to it. Since then I have been trying to find out what Roguelike actually means in respect to videogames, and I don't understand why I've never heard the term before with respect to videogames being that I've been gaming for 30+ years.

Can someone help me understand what "Roguelike" is, and to what respects Returnal is "Roguelike?" The only thing I've found online about what a "Roguelike" is is that there are procedural generated.... things. However I am not sure that has anything to do with Returnal itself.

I have the game arriving on Gamefly and I did watch a trailer for it which is what got me interested in it, but I avoided reviews and gameplay vids so I don't spoil anything for myself. All I know about Returnal is that the graphics are amazing, it's supposedly difficult (are all Roguelikes difficult?), and it has s sci-fi aspect to it. Since then I have been trying to find out what Roguelike actually means in respect to videogames, and I don't understand why I've never heard the term before with respect to videogames being that I've been gaming for 30+ years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue...(or rogue-like),death of the player character.

I dunno, nothing in returnal sounds like that description.

The big takeaway on a roguelike is permadeath. But when you start a new "run", there is usually something which carries over or is different, so that you have better potential for the next "run".

The big takeaway on a roguelike is permadeath. But when you start a new "run", there is usually something which carries over or is different, so that you have better potential for the next "run".
That makes more sense in the case of Returnal.

Returnal– Update 2.0 | PS5

New features:

-Suspend Cycle - Pause the cycle and resume your run later!
-Photo Mode - Capture the bullet-hell action or the dark beauty of Atropos; compose your shot, apply your favorite filters, and share with the world!
-This update also includes numerous bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/10/25/returnal-patch-20

So quick question... I may finally jump on Returnal now with the suspend feature but I was curious... if I am playing a run and die and I turn the game off right after I "respawn" will I keep the same "progress" as far as items go? So like is that how progression worked before the suspend feature? This game just really confuses me on how progress is made let-alone saved should I have a need to turn the console off.

So quick question... I may finally jump on Returnal now with the suspend feature but I was curious... if I am playing a run and die and I turn the game off right after I "respawn" will I keep the same "progress" as far as items go? So like is that how progression worked before the suspend feature? This game just really confuses me on how progress is made let-alone saved should I have a need to turn the console off.
Quoted from an article: You lose nearly everything each time you die in Returnal. The only consistent pickup that carries over between runs is the elusive Ether resource. There are a few ways to spend your Ether, but some are definitely better than others.

Cthonos: At the beginning of a run, you’ll come across an obelisk called the Cthonos. Depositing some Ether into it will pop out either an artifact, which gives you a buff for the entire run, or a consumable — an item that can be used once during combat. Dumping your ether into the Cthonos during your early runs can make your later runs far better, as unlocking an artifact through it also makes it appear in the map as a normal pickup.
Reconstructor: The reconstructor allows you to create a single-use respawn point. This can be especially useful if you’re having a stellar run but want an extra level of insurance. It may not be worth putting your precious Ether into the reconstructor during your early runs though. Instead, wait until you’ve unlocked a fair deal of the game’s artifacts first.
Obolite Repository: Obolite is the main currency in Returnal. It doesn’t carry over between runs, so be sure to use it while you have it. The repository allows you to fabricate new equipment for a set amount of Obolite. But if you’ve found yourself running low on the resource, the repository also allows you to exchange Ether for Obolite. Consequently, if you’re low on Ether you can farm up Obolite on a few runs and exchange it for ether at the repository.
Malignant Objects: You may come across chests or other objects in runs that have shrouds of malignancy around them. If you open the chest without cleansing it first, your character will be liable to a negative status effect for the remainder of that run. The cost of cleansing these chests? A bunch of Ether. Considering these chests don’t always have the best items in them — and that you can fabricate new gear at repositories without putting down any Ether — it’s not typically worth the Ether to cleanse these objects.

First boss was the hardest for me. And the game gets more interesting after first biome. The 6th biome minibosses that meelee you are harder than the actual bosses if you meet them in a room without a grapple and don't have armor piercing.

Highly recommend this game. especially for people that say "they don't make good games anymore"

I just started this game about two weeks ago. I must say it is a grinders dream. I think I didn't get the hang of it till about 12~15 hours in and I still hadn't gotten to the first boss. I wasn't really paying attention and didn't understand the systems. Running and gunning is not the way to play if you don't know what is going on or how things work. My big mistake.

But once I beat the first boss, I I started to get what is going on, what carries over and what is gone. So now I have goals in runs and try to build up for my next attempt by farming the stuff that carries over. So far I dig the Hollowseaker and Carbine with good perks. Hollowseaker is like the "Everything over there needs a bullet" gun, and I like that.

Still in the third biome, and got to the door before the signal, but I wasn't prepared for the load of enemies and rushed into it like an idiot. Currently suspended a play and near that same spot, but a bit more prepped than before.

Finished the game in the wee hours of the morning at like 0300. This is the first game in a long time I want to play again and get the "True" ending.

My new favorite weapon is the Electropylon Driver. Every freakin' boss melts when you get it going and you use it well. It's way OP... with a good Hollowseeker loadout. jfc.

I just started this game about two weeks ago. I must say it is a grinders dream. I think I didn't get the hang of it till about 12~15 hours in and I still hadn't gotten to the first boss. I wasn't really paying attention and didn't understand the systems. Running and gunning is not the way to play if you don't know what is going on or how things work. My big mistake.

Do you have any tips? I got Returnal as well but haven't started it since I'm working on other games, but I'd love to hear any tips or things you've learned that would benefit a beginner like me. I'm otherwise a really casual gamer who plays on easy or "normal" most of the time and since I heard Returnal is challenging any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have any tips? I got Returnal as well but haven't started it since I'm working on other games, but I'd love to hear any tips or things you've learned that would benefit a beginner like me. I'm otherwise a really casual gamer who plays on easy or "normal" most of the time and since I heard Returnal is challenging any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Well first: There is no easy or normal. And once you know the games mechanics, it is actually quite easy, the mistakes that are made are usually fair (Unless you count those damn drones with the rockets from the 3rd biome)

Controls:

I set up auto-aim for this game. First time ever to use this. And I followed another persons recommendation to change dash to R1 and the reticle to large and bold. Get used to dashing, reloading (a-la Gears of War) and jumping. You can dash through projectiles (minus purple ones). Don't go

Playing:

Get used to dying a lot. But don't think of it as defeat. The learning curve is kind of off kilter and don't go in guns blazing. Work on gaining exp for your weapons traits. I didn't know this at the start and after knowing it, helped a ton. I found my spirit weapon(s) and stuck to them. You can set up runs just for getting weapons stronger, and this carries over between deaths. Learn what carries over between deaths. Spend what doesn't carry over.

Navigation:

Learn what doors mean what. I used to rush into rooms not knowing it was a challenge room and I had to defeat wave after wave of enemies before I could get out. I died a lot. Didn't RTFM on that one. Even through the game is random for rooms, they rooms themselves are set. Learn the rooms so you know what your options are for combat.

You won't really feel accomplishment until you get past the first boss.

Ok, I got the "True" ending.

I have questions. Gonna have to read some websites about peoples opinions about what they think it all means. I grasp the basics, but this stuff seems over my head.

But this wraps up all the PS5 exclusives I wanted to play.

During their latest State of Play show, Sony announced Returnal: Ascension, the game’s first major content update...Accension will add co-op to the mix, allowing you to play through the entire core game with a friend, as well as The Tower of Sisyphus, an extra-punishing multi-level tower...

During their latest State of Play show, Sony announced Returnal: Ascension, the game’s first major content update...Accension will add co-op to the mix, allowing you to play through the entire core game with a friend, as well as The Tower of Sisyphus, an extra-punishing multi-level tower...

My stomach just went crazy..

mother-of-god-officer.gif

Coop sounds fun, especially 2 people in a super hard tower. Already sold the game though.

The game looks interesting but I think at this point I’m going to wait for it to be a PSN Plus title.

Back