Retina displays for pc's?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
Apple now have the retina displays notebooks. When is this coming to pcs, or will there ever be such amazing thing for pcs? I hope yes.:(

The new 27 inch stand alone Mac display will likely be Retina and possibly able to hook up to the PC. We just don't know yet. I'm sure Apple will do whatever it can to attempt to have a stranglehold on these display's for as just about as long as possible.

The display panels aren't manufactured by Apple so there is always the possibility for other companies to use them.
There might be some stuff going on behind the scenes with apple samsung and LG making them exclusive for a limited period of time. (like the cinema displays)
But NEC, Sharp, etc. also have High-PPI panels in development so there will be enough on the market within a reasonable time-frame.
So it's more a matter of consumers bugging Lenovo, HP, Dell and all the others asking for "retina" monitors, than the "apple" technology being platform restricted.
(Microsoft anticipated the move towards High-PPI monitors a long time ago started to make the Vista UI dpi aware, in 2006)

And I would suggest we stop using apple marketing vocabulary and start referring to displays of this kind as "High-PPI monitor" as this is how they were called prior to the iPhone 4.

It'll depend on how these Mac do likely. Display makers can make higher PPI displays, the issue is cost. Well, if consumers seem willing to pay for it, then they'll probably look in to it. If not, then they probably won't.

This particular screen will likely remain Apple exclusive for some time. What Apple does quite often is pays part of all of a company's R&D costs on a product they want, in return for an exclusive.

So it'll just take some time to see. I can't imagine any other vendors will be rushing on as the demand for higher PPI screens remains to be seen. While consumers love to say they want something, what they really mean is they want it only if it doesn't cost any extra. Higher PPI will cost more as each sub pixel needs a transistor (or two in the case of IPS) so the more there are the more it costs.

Well, I'm enjoying a FullHD display in a 15.6" screen. If software does not scale well, I better much prefer staying at this PPI than going any higher and get ugly interface all over the place due to poor support or use of extremely old software libraries.

Well, I'm enjoying a FullHD display in a 15.6" screen. If software does not scale well, I better much prefer staying at this PPI than going any higher and get ugly interface all over the place due to poor support or use of extremely old software libraries.

The reason they chose that resolution is that the OS automatically pixel-doubles all graphical assets that are not Retina aware. It is transparent to the app and to the user - the only thing you notice is that the text is razor sharp. The fact that it is exactly double the resolution means that there are never any issues with "ugly interface" or "not scaling well."

This works on exactly the same principle as the iPad 3.

Kinda disappointed there was no desktop version that was announced at WWDC 2012. Oh well, guess can hold out a bit longer on hoping for one next year.

Just remembered that somewhat comparable screen once went by almost unnoticed on a NEC laptop, in 2002. XP lacked advanced scaling options, so it was probably hampered by software support.
It was only 170ppi but the page includes pictures of scaling XGA to QXGA on the 15'' laptop screen, so could be considered the same principle.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2002/0802/hotrev173.htm

Unfortunately almost all of these retina displays will be 60 Hz at the most and most likely slower pixel response times. :mad:

as if viewsonic hasn't shown of 4k displays already...

Most likely we'll be seeing something like 3840 x 2160. Same principle as the "retina" display but with 1080p. Hopefully 120hz versions or I won't be buying one.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

The NEC laptop was the only semi-consumer model I could think of.
And The T220 based models are the only non-mobile monitors above 200PPI.
If we include professional/medical displays we'd also have to mention the:
Viewsonic VP3280 3280x2048 ~32''
Coronis Fusion 3280x2048 ~30''
Eizo FDH3601 4096x2160 ~36''
CMI has a ~28'' 3280x2048 panel on the shelf. (CMI R278D1) but it's also classified as medical/pro and I haven't seen a monitor using it.

And for those thinking of old school retina (projection) displays there's the Brother AiRScouter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0hF0cbw8E

Last edited:
Some guy has been doing custom work on them to get them up to a decent refresh rate... 3840 x 2400 @ 55hz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290726891053/

That's my fallback if no consumer monitors get up to those resolutions. I wouldn't be using it for gaming, but all that real estate... in a screen that's 22"...

...have .. to .. resist...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The reason they chose that resolution is that the OS automatically pixel-doubles all graphical assets that are not Retina aware. It is transparent to the app and to the user - the only thing you notice is that the text is razor sharp. The fact that it is exactly double the resolution means that there are never any issues with "ugly interface" or "not scaling well."

This works on exactly the same principle as the iPad 3.

The downside is you basically still have a 1440x900 monitor (in terms of viewable space) as a result, which is too damn small on a 15" laptop.

Seeing as MS is working to get density independence into Windows Phone, there's the possibility that Windows 8 will have actual density independence, which would make high resolution PCs much, much nicer. So far only Android has gotten this right from what I've seen, we'll see if MS can make the transition.

I would rather keep my 2560x1440 27" than have a prettier 1920x1080 resolution.

Full resolution independence is extremely difficult to achieve. So many assumptions about resolutions have been so deeply buried into operating systems - and developer's tools and habits - that it is a long, hard slog to remove them all. Apple begun the work as early as 2005, and even with as much control as Apple infamously exerts upon its developers, it seems to be a sisyphean labor for any OS to get its application devs to conform to RI.

Apple is now dealing with this problem by automatically pixel-doubling non-RI elements. Unless you can come up with a better idea, the alternative is to not have extremely high-resolution displays. Introducing this tactic into only one high-end laptop is Apple's way of testing the concept in the real world to see if it's the right thing to do.

I think I would rather have a 1920x1200 workable resolution on a 15" monitor than a 1440x900 resolution (in a prettier 2880x1800 package). Don't get me wrong, I love the "retina" ppi, but I would rather have actual work space on a work machine.

Thunderbolt could maybe handle that. It's borderline.

Thunderbolt isn't a display connection, it is a PCI-Express connection. Thundebolt cables use a Displayport connection, so you are still limited to those speeds for display connectivity.

Thunderbolt isn't a display connection, it is a PCI-Express connection. Thundebolt cables use a Displayport connection, so you are still limited to those speeds for display connectivity.

And that connection speed for Display port 1.2 is 17.23Gbps. Two DP 1.2 connections could provide the needed bandwidth for any of these rumored monsters.

I think I would rather have a 1920x1200 workable resolution on a 15" monitor than a 1440x900 resolution (in a prettier 2880x1800 package). Don't get me wrong, I love the "retina" ppi, but I would rather have actual work space on a work machine.

Why not just get it and run it at 2880x1800 (not the scaled down to 1440x900 equivelent version). I used one at native resolution in the macbook store and its *AWESOME*. I come from the T221 (3840x2400 @22.2 inch) so I am used to the size which is pretty comparable. I can't wait until mine comes on Wednesday.

Back