Retail website operators...a question

damnathan

Limp Gawd
Do you think answering emails from home at night is a bad idea? My father seems convinced that I should stick with business hours to answer my store emails, but in my opinion, the quicker I can help a customer the better. They might have a question or concern, and if I didn't answer it quickly they could shop somewhere else. I don't think it seems unprofessional, I think it mostly would indicate to a customer that someone is around as much as possible to respond to them as quickly as possible.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree, customer service is a top factor influencing people's choice to shop at a particular place/site.

Is there an underlying question here? i.e., someone at the company who answers emails at night also ends up showing up late / taking long lunch breaks / leaving early. There's something to be said for a reliable 9-5 employee, even if they don't take care of issues in the evenings/weekends.

IMO, a response within 24-48 hours for product/purchase questions seems acceptable. Exceptions can be made during holidays, people with "preferred" or premium purchasing accounts, etc.

But my suggestion is to decide on this now. You'll quickly get a feeling (and likely have supporting metrics) to know what response level is manageable, and what point you start running yourself into the ground.

I think a response is a response. I personally think the quicker the better when it comes to responses. I am impressed when I can actually get a response the same day. But I think answering within a day or two is an acceptable timetable. As far as answering during the day or night... I don't think it matters. I feel like the internet has changed the rules, especially when it comes to typical mentalities about jobs.

Granted, as the business grows and employees are added, things may change a bit, but I think a lot of hands-on interaction will always be part of how I handle things. I think at the age 30 having a warehouse full of inventory and running my own business, I am very lucky, so I'm taking this very seriously. Also, being single without kids allows me free time...and I'm practically never away from a computer...especially since I live an hour away from anything resembling a city. Its really no trouble for me to Alt-Tab out of a game at night to answer questions. This is more than just a job to me, this is what I enjoy doing with my time.

I would say that a quick response never hurts anything ;)... you do want to set your own internal guidelines as to how long to let mail sit at maximum, for sure however. I don't think any customers would think anything bad of getting an answer at any hour of the night, and I can't think of why they would... it shows only good qualities.

Why does it matter? That is, how would your customers possibly know that you're answering from home instead of from work?

The only reason why I would want to stick to "business hours" is I wouldn't want the customer thinking they will always get an answer during off hours just because I did it for them once before. If you start making exceptions and word of mouth gets around, you might as well just start extending your business hours.

Your reason for not providing better service is that you won't always provide better service.

Do I have it right?

If it's a concern, just add something to the contact page which explains that a response will be forthcoming as soon as possible; perhaps more quickly during business hours, but sometimes off hours when time permits. And list the business hours.

The bottom line is that customers want their problems solved, not their expectations managed.

I think there is something to be said about not bringing work home with you. Granted there's a bit more pressure to when it's "your" business, but I think it's still something worth keeping in mind.
You work to live, you don't live to work.

I will answer my business phone in the evening... But not always. As long as you have posted hours, there's no harm in answering, or not answering, the phone outside of those hours. Some customers really appreciate it!

I used ringcentral to manage a SMB phone net - including customer support numbers.

It's a semi-PBX system, with redirect functions.

The only reason why I would want to stick to "business hours" is I wouldn't want the customer thinking they will always get an answer during off hours just because I did it for them once before. If you start making exceptions and word of mouth gets around, you might as well just start extending your business hours.

If it's a concern, just add something to the contact page which explains that a response will be forthcoming as soon as possible; perhaps more quickly during business hours, but sometimes off hours when time permits. And list the business hours.

The bottom line is that customers want their problems solved, not their expectations managed.

I think there is something to be said about not bringing work home with you. Granted there's a bit more pressure to when it's "your" business, but I think it's still something worth keeping in mind.
You work to live, you don't live to work.

I think these three have it. Make note on your contact page that your store hours are 9-5 (or whatever they are) but, as time permits, emails may get answered in off-hours. Also, as noted above, you need to learn to leave your work, at work.

Customer service is the number one thing that can separate you from your competition. Being able to meet your customers needs is crucial. I started a business at the beginning of the year (January 15). I just sold my business for a very large sum, the one thing that always came back to me on feedback and reviews is the customer service was second to none. I wasn't the first in my field to offer an online store (not by a long shot, in fact the field I started in is often said to be over-saturated and a dieing hobby/sport). So, keep it in perspective, you need to have a personal life, but you also want to have happy customers. Happy customers are your best form of marketing (and it's free marketing, which makes it even better).

Grats on the sale of your business, supergper. Indeed, I'm not sure how the notion of helping customers can be argued against, particularly as "unprofessional" or in lieu of "expectation management".

Granted, as the business grows and employees are added, things may change a bit, but I think a lot of hands-on interaction will always be part of how I handle things. I think at the age 30 having a warehouse full of inventory and running my own business, I am very lucky, so I'm taking this very seriously. Also, being single without kids allows me free time...and I'm practically never away from a computer...especially since I live an hour away from anything resembling a city. Its really no trouble for me to Alt-Tab out of a game at night to answer questions. This is more than just a job to me, this is what I enjoy doing with my time.

Dang dude, you just made me hate my job :D

Your typical entrepreneur statistically works 60-80 hours a week during the first couple years of business. This is not uncommon--especially as many (especially young people) start their business while still maintaining a full or part time job.

I've always had a similar issue as I have a full time day job. I often answer emails from my smartphone during the day, but I also do a lot of work in the evenings and on the weekend. Customers are used to getting emails in the evening or on the weekend, but the business hours are listed as 9-5 mon-fri. It's one thing to work in the evening, send messages to customers, etc., but quite another to start accepting phone calls any time of the day (unless you're offering 24/7 support).

It's all about customer perception, and these days the customer service is the place where you sell your products. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with answering email off hours. I've had many customers who appreciate being able to come in first thing in the morning and get a summary of work we did overnight or be able to review things first thing in the morning.

Your typical entrepreneur statistically works 60-80 hours a week during the first couple years of business. This is not uncommon--especially as many (especially young people) start their business while still maintaining a full or part time job.
And I'm doing that and I DON'T have the luxury of playing a game while working...

As long as you can balance your responsibilities (professional and personal) I don't see anything wrong with it... especially if you're already hanging out on your computer.

I really appreciate the different opinions from all of you. I probably will include something on the site about our normal response hours, though most likely I will continue to answer emails anytime I have a minute. I agree, there is something to be said for leaving work at work, but I was kind of brought up working (employed since age 12...family owned different businesses all through my younger years), so I guess I'm just used to my work being part of my home life as well. Still, I always give myself the personal time I need. I think mostly I keep checking on my work from home because I want to, not because I think I have to. 80 hour weeks just really aren't that bad when you like what you do and you don't have a boss making your life miserable. And, of course, being able to take gaming breaks is always a nice perk :)

I really appreciate the different opinions from all of you. I probably will include something on the site about our normal response hours, though most likely I will continue to answer emails anytime I have a minute. I agree, there is something to be said for leaving work at work, but I was kind of brought up working (employed since age 12...family owned different businesses all through my younger years), so I guess I'm just used to my work being part of my home life as well. Still, I always give myself the personal time I need. I think mostly I keep checking on my work from home because I want to, not because I think I have to. 80 hour weeks just really aren't that bad when you like what you do and you don't have a boss making your life miserable. And, of course, being able to take gaming breaks is always a nice perk :)

Not if you are already a manager, of some sort :D

Though you are absolutely correct.

Just make sure to manage your own time. My biggest gripe was people NOT using their time wisely.

I pretty much run it. I answer only to those who fronted the money, but largely I'm trusted with how things are run. There's something to be said for taking a short break to shoot some folk online during the day...it keeps me from getting burned out which in the long run keeps me more productive :) The daily 2 pots of black coffee probably don't hurt either...

Back