Resident Evil 4 (remake)

horror games have been a mixed bag over the past few months...Scorn and Callisto Protocol were disappointing but the Dead Space remake and now RE4 look excellent...hopefully the System Shock 1 remake also delivers

Glad to see they're not going with that dynamic crosshair bs like in the re2 remake. That plus the slow shooting speed made the whole game feel terrible to me. I gotta say, some of these areas are almost to dark, could def use a few more light sources here and there. And yeah that rain could use some fine tuning. I wouldn't want to play this on a 27" monitor because you can't see anything.

*I just seen the video Armenius linked already has 1 million views on youtube since ~20 hours ago. Must be generating some interest, eh?

Last edited:
The fact that they’re using a crosshair at all is infuriating to me. They got it right with the laser site from the original. Why. Fucking. Change. It.

^ true, re4 and Revelations 1 and 2 have some of the best gunplay of them all, imo. Though when doing raid mode in rev 1/2 I switched to the regular crosshairs because it was a little hard to hit the vital spots with the lasers sights with the enemies moving all around and what not.

Graphics look like shit in that video for a 2023 game. The characters look like dolls and the rain effect looks laughably bad. To me it looks like a poorly done mod more than an actual AAA game.

EDIT: And of course nothing but praise in the youtube comments.

Last edited:
Graphics look like shit in that video for a 2023 game. The characters look like dolls and the rain effect looks laughably bad. To me it looks like a poorly done mod more than an actual AAA game.

EDIT: And of course nothing but praise in the youtube comments.
The rain effect looks cheap, I agree, but otherwise the game looks like every other one made on RE Engine.

I would have to agree with jobert, much of what I seen in that latest vid seems a bit underwhelming. Some of it just looks bad, not even talking about the rain. And the pitch blackness of some of these areas is ridiculous, it's like hire a fricken lighting artist ffs...

One positive thing about the RE games is that mods are pretty extensive, to the point of being almost exhaustive actually. They can add some great value to the experience (until capcom releases a patch and breaks them all). But really though how many reshade mods do we need?...and that most of them look like shit anyway. And the nude mods...good god! I can hardly wait for the nude Leon and Ashley mods to roll out :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna be paying $60 for this at launch anyway, so much of this doesn't really matter to me.

I'm mixed. It does look worse than RE2/3 Remake and RE7/8 to me. I am hoping that is just a few sections or things that look bad.

But otherwise the characters look about on par with RE2/3/7/8 which were actually fairly good looking.

I just read that they removed the refilling of ammo when you upgrade weapon capacity, that’s trash if so.

This looks great so far. Fuck yeah suplex.

Now are they going to bother with 5 and the absolute fever dream that is RE6? I just redownload RE6 to play co-op and the writing is absolutely terrible. It's an amusing co-op game but an absolutely fucking terrible resident evil.

This looks great so far. Fuck yeah suplex.

Now are they going to bother with 5 and the absolute fever dream that is RE6? I just redownload RE6 to play co-op and the writing is absolutely terrible. It's an amusing co-op game but an absolutely fucking terrible resident evil.

If they're gonna keep making remakes give me Revelations 1 with high detail gory graphics, and some freaking Raid Mode instead of all these bullshit side games they keep coming out with like Re:Verse and REsistance

It looks good at times and other times the graphics look like laughably outdated shit. The rain effects are just atrociously bad and look completely out of place. And I'm sorry but the faces and skin look way worse in parts of the game than what they did on RE2. The hair looks like garbage but it always has in that re engine. Visually I'm just not very impressed at all and in many ways very disappointed in how the game looks.

It looks good at times and other times the graphics look like laughably outdated shit. The rain effects are just atrociously bad and look completely out of place. And I'm sorry but the faces and skin look way worse in parts of the game than what they did on RE2. The hair looks like garbage but it always has in that re engine. Visually I'm just not very impressed at all and in many ways very disappointed in how the game looks.

I agree. I can't help but feel this looks worse than RE2/3 Remake and of course Village. I though those games all looked great, as well as RE7. This looks worse than all of those for some reason. Lighting, textures and that odd rain.

I agree. I can't help but feel this looks worse than RE2/3 Remake and of course Village. I though those games all looked great, as well as RE7. This looks worse than all of those for some reason. Lighting, textures and that odd rain.

RE2/3 can go from jank to photorealistic walking down the street - I know the game can look photorealistic yet everytime I look at shit I just happen to be looking at it from the jank angle

I'd wait to see it in person, personally - maybe still 'producing' it

👎

1677552000002.png

👍

1677552097797.png

Hmm it's like there's something wrong with the lighting in the chapter 5 section. The rain is definitely fucked up and the lighting looks almost flat shaded at times. Like it should be night, but occasionally you can just see like several hundred feet out until cliff wall.

the new Resident Evil 4 is now available to pre-load on Xbox Series X, and it weighs in at a hefty 67.2 GB

The Boss that drive me the craziest in the game is the one in the Maze with Red buttons to press.

Beat it, my completion time was not even 15 minutes.

edit: It was about what I expected. Seemed like RE4 with a WAY smoother and modern control scheme.

FSR 2.0 is in the demo and works good. They still have that interlacing option, but I really don't see why you'd use it. Seemed like it looks and performs worse than FSR 2.0.

Last edited:
The demo runs good, looks good, and the audio is very good. I wasted too much ammo on the first enemy and then quit because I need to go to bed, but I'm really impressed with the audio. It actually sounds hi-fi.

I cranked everything, capped it at 100 FPS, and it consumed 12GB VRAM (RTX 3090) just in the small confined spaces of the early part of the demo. RIP 10/12GB video cards. ;)

Well I caved. Hard to say how I feel so far but one thing I can say for sure.. E to crouch? Wtf?

The demo runs good, looks good, and the audio is very good. I wasted too much ammo on the first enemy and then quit because I need to go to bed, but I'm really impressed with the audio. It actually sounds hi-fi.

I cranked everything, capped it at 100 FPS, and it consumed 12GB VRAM (RTX 3090) just in the small confined spaces of the early part of the demo. RIP 10/12GB video cards. ;)
It is quite demanding when maxed out but it does look pretty good. I got the "D3D Fatal Error" crash but it looks like plenty of others are reporting that too on the steam forums.

Well it's definitely short but, generally, I like what I'm seeing. Feels nostalgic but different enough to be a new experience. Two things mostly..

Controls (kb/m): Very fluid, reactive, and modern feeling, it almost made think however that the 'tanky' controls from the og helped add to the tension. Felt almost too current and like everything else, idk.

Crosshair: I feel like I'm the only one up in arms over this, but the addition of the crosshair.. I hate it so much. The laser sight mechanic, to me, was one of the coolest things at the time in RE4, it lit up over objects you could interact with and ditched an immersion breaking, static, dead-center on screen artifact.. they should've implemented this in RE8. I was especially annoyed that the sway of the gun in the demo doesn't match the crosshair position at all, making it even more distracting.

Still in on day one though.

It is quite demanding when maxed out but it does look pretty good. I got the "D3D Fatal Error" crash but it looks like plenty of others are reporting that too on the steam forums.

Same, happened to me - wondering if it's the ray tracing crash I mentioned from RE3

It looked more videogamey vs photorealistic than RE2/RE3 did IMO

I was playing with pretty much everything maxed (including Ray Tracing - was pressing my luck) except textures @ 2GB and FXSR 2 on and motion blur off - I was getting max lows outside areas around 63 so playable till it crashed

Same, happened to me - wondering if it's the ray tracing crash I mentioned from RE3

It looked more videogamey vs photorealistic than RE2/RE3 did IMO

I was playing with pretty much everything maxed (including Ray Tracing - was pressing my luck) except textures @ 2GB and FXSR 2 on and motion blur off - I was getting max lows outside areas around 63 so playable till it crashed
Capcom can take MONTHS to address issues and sometimes they never do fix them. To this day RE Village Shadows of Rose will still crash after the second cut scene if you have ray tracing on. Capcom said they were aware of the issue even back in October.

You were basically half way though the demo at that point, comically

Also I don't know if I like the breakable knife thing

I guess it's fair enough when you parry a fucking chainsaw, but it breaking after shanking a few people I dunno

Can you kill the chainsaw dude? I laid into him pretty hard but didn't manage it and had to run away

Got a chance to play it this morning and it was as I expected. I appreciate the layout of the village being more or less as I remember. Shooting enemies and then melee'ing them is easier and it's more clear when you can do it. I didn't really do much with the parry system, but I guess being able to bail yourself out with a knife is nice. I might have to tinker with the controls a little as it didn't feel natural using the knife.
The audio is terrific. It's using "real" Atmos and the surround effects are accurate. I'm looking forward to the end of the month for sure.

Back