Requesting 2.1 Desk Setup Suggestions

I've never seen that before. Are those electrostatic speakers in a PC speaker format?

Usually electrostatics are HUGE and very very expensive. Google Martin Logan for reference.
They were Monsoon speakers. I had them way back in the late 1990s, if memory serves. Don't remember the price, though. My set got destroyed when I moved to a new condo and I ended up getting the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 instead.

They were Monsoon speakers. I had them way back in the late 1990s, if memory serves. Don't remember the price, though. My set got destroyed when I moved to a new condo and I ended up getting the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 instead.

That is rad. They actually are electrostatic speakers. And from the 90's none the less.

That is an exotic technology even today, with good ones costing many thousands and requiring powerful amplifiers.

Electrostatics look really cool, and can produce very precise sound (if designed right, but can sound like absolute shite if not done right) but completely lack the ability to produce bass, so they are often complemented with bass elements.

In this case they have a subwoofer, but the fact that electrostatics don't go very deep in the frequency range means that the sub would need a pretty high crossover, meaning you can probably tell direction from it (which is undesirable)

The high end Martin Logans tend to have stereo subs, one in the base of each speaker to make up for this.

But again, those Martin Logans are way way way too rich for my blood. I could afford them, but if I spent car money on a set of speakers, I'd probably also be shopping for a divorce attorney. (that, and I have other priorities for my money, so I don't want to either)

And I'm only saying this from what I have read. I've never actually heard a pair :p

1676065705780.png

Oh, and these. These I could not afford, even if I wanted a divorce.

1676066834637.png

Last edited:
I've never seen that before. Are those electrostatic speakers in a PC speaker format?

Usually electrostatics are HUGE and very very expensive. Google Martin Logan for reference.
They do make Electrostatic headphones. I auditioned a Stax pair with a tube amp back in the late 80's early 90's and they sounded surreal.
The demo CD I listened to had a woman walking around and talking and you'd swear she was right in front of you walking around.
There was also a Ferrari starting up and if there was exhaust smell you'd swear the car was in the room with you.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/07/review-stax-sr-lambda-pro-vintage-electrostatic-headphones/

The Monsoons are Planar not Electrostatic. Similar but different. Monsoon also did higher end OEM stereos in cars in the late 90's. I've got a set of 5 ML ESLs in storage since my divorce and I don't have space. bleh

I have a pair of these but not same exact model. They sound surprisingly good for their size. The control board in the sub-woofer box is pretty much gone and the cats have been playing havoc with the satellites.
This is why I like 14+' ceilings, you fish the wires in the walls and ceiling and mount the speakers way up there. This is to preclude your weirdly muscled 20lb neutered cats from destroying them. See also polycarbonate TV anti-cat armor for displays.

I had a set of the Monsoon PlanarMedia 14s!
https://www.biline.ca/monsson.htm
I technically still do, I'm just not using the satellites anymore. The sub is still hooked up as part of my system in the shop, although these days it's running off an Onkyo Integra and with some Mission bookshelves as the "satellites". For a computer speaker system in the 2005-2010 era, it was pretty damn good.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back