Report Claims Canadian Police are Tracking and Acting On "Negative" Behavior

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Well although I'm not a huge Church goer myself, I think demonizing the Church is a step in the wrong direction, we could start by simply not doing that. But the biggest thing we all can do is stop doing it ourselves and sorta let that sink in, spread around some.

I am as guilty as the next guy. But yes, you start in your own back yard and fix yourself first, then you can be a good example instead.

Again, I'm going to pick on you, your a handy target. Your first thought is that you have to find some way to enforce it, and since you can't find a way to enforce it that's legal or acceptable on your part, it can't be done.

I fix myself, you fix yourself. We start being better to each other and things begin to change.

And no, mining big data and reporting all behaviors so that AIs can look for potential problems is not the digital equivalent of a cop spotting behavior and actions indicative of a criminal preparing to commit a crime.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  2. lcpiper

This is bad info by the way. It's written by people who think they have an understanding of what is going on when they do not. Moreover they draw conclusions and link things that are in fact, unrelated, in order to craft a picture that is not accurate.

As an example, repeatedly people make the assumption that targets of NSA activities are US citizens when in fact, they are not. It's the same way in which leftists repeatedly quote information pertaining to legal immigrants in discussions about illegal immigration. They just keep forgetting that word "illegal". Same thing here.

3. Aix.

Aix. [H]ard|Gawd

What a strange point to make, as if the mass collection of data from US citizens is fine as long as the targets are non-US citizens. That's also not including the Five Eyes information sharing "loopholes" that invalidate the point.

4. lcpiper

Again, you quote information that is not factual as if it proves the other "facts".

It's just like that power point slide that was supposed to prove that the NSA hacks Google as a normal practice. The slide was a training slide, Google was the name used in the slide to stand for the ISP that is being hacked because it's a well known name and required no explanation. The reality is that the ISP is a foreign ISP because the NSA does foreign collection work. But there is the article making the claims based not on a single fact, just a training slide.

5. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

mountie.png

P.S. Comic credited to Hark! A Vagrant, which I find funny, and which I think you should read.

DukenukemX and Annieka77 like this.
  6. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Philip k Dick..... Minority Report, did no one pay attention to the dangers of using predictive policing ffs. Also data like this is never actually secure, so all they are really doing is putting at risk citizens for the sake of some bullshit illusion of security.

7. Soulmetzger

Soulmetzger [H]ard|Gawd

This direction that the world is heading is why I won't use social media or have a listening device in my home other than my cell phone but that's a necessary evil with work. People say thinking this way is paranoia but I don't think those people see the evident signs or just don't care about giving away their privacy and personal freedoms.

Annieka77 likes this.
  8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

"He doesn't have a smart phone or use social media... My God Steve, he has blinds on his windows... Call in SWAT."

gtrguy, c3k and Annieka77 like this.
  9. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

Already saw this movie,, was called Minority Report

Fresch, GoldenTiger and Annieka77 like this.
  10. Annieka77

Annieka77 n00b

Beat me to it. Yes, it’s sickening.

11. Annieka77

Annieka77 n00b

12. Annieka77

Annieka77 n00b

13. A Little Teapot

A Little Teapot Limp Gawd

That is both creepy as all fuck and a sad indictment of modern society. If we still valued the notions of family and duty to others there wouldn't be all these lonely "at risk" people.

Annieka77 likes this.
  14. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Good grief. While discussion of the hub model is useful and necessary, it may or may not be the threat to democracy and individual liberty the article paints it to be (dig deeper and you will fine a better informed Vice article). This is not a new concept and Canada is no pioneer. It was started in the UK, and particular, Glasgow, Scotland. You can find more information here: https://www.oecd.org/governance/obs...hips-hubandcorcentreofresponsibilitymodel.htm

Aix. likes this.
  15. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Exactly.

16. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

lol Minority Report is the first thing I thought of when I read this ridiculous story. Without the time travel of course. Very dangerous territory indeed. But leftist governments are always wanting to do very troubling things.

1Nocturnal101 likes this.
  17. gtrguy

gtrguy Limp Gawd

Don't like it? You are free to leave. Or work to change things for the better.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  18. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

I bet that this won't be applied evenly accross the population.

I bet some of us have more equal rights than others.

GoldenTiger and pendragon1 like this.
  19. Fresch

Fresch n00b

Are these the people you put into power doing this or did some people magically appear and overnight do this?
    Perhaps thinking before voting could prevent this.
    They do it to the tax payers because that is where the money is; police don't stop crime they follow the aftermath and fill out a report.

20. Fresch

Fresch n00b

What I'm confused about is with all the political and even religion talk in this thread how it is still open?

21. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

But, rather than get further derailed...

Back onto Canada creating a Hub which monitors and intervenes when some committee (or algorithm) senses that an individual is about to go astray.

That sounds...creepy.

"Mr. Trudeau, we think you're about to do something wrong. May we come in?"

22. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Yeah not okay with this :/

23. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

Predictable as the sun rising if one has been paying attention.

Next thing you know they will be de-platforming people, cutting off sources of income and credit and running propaganda pieces against them in the media.

Oh Snap! Happening already, right now.

GoldenTiger and c3k like this.
  24. Flexion

Flexion [H]ard|Gawd

I guess everyone is not down with OPP then?

25. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

I thought politics were forbidden.

26. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

I mean the only way to actively prevent crime is to arrest and charge people for things they haven't done yet. Otherwise you just go the passive route and hope fear of punishment for committing a crime keeps people in line.

The age old if you think I am intending to harm you or your family, then you get a restraining order which means i just will get a little more time for when I come hurt you.

I would love to prevent people from being hurt or killed but at what cost? If the system eventually becomes automated for any law, that would just mean we would all be in jail for some stupid law we didnt know about. Extreme I know but someone always wants to take something and move it one step further.

We have become very laser focused and obsessed with just wanting to tell someone they are wrong. I myself am guilty of this and it provides no real gain in life. Seriously though, go outside and describe the coloring of a sunset and inevitably someone will argue with you about one of the colors or adjectives you used.

lcpiper likes this.
  27. lcpiper

I agree, and I am as guilty as anyone. I recognized this in myself, and there is an example of it recently, me telling someone else they are wrong, more than once. I tried not to be harsh about it but it was there all the same. So there it is. We all can try to see this, and correct it in ourselves. If people will just accept that they could be better to each other, then it will get better, not right away, but it will happen.

I don't like the alternative, that we simply call it too hard to fix and continue on the way we are going. I also don't think that there is any other way to do it.

I suppose, if we don't get this fixed, it'll run it's course, we'll be killing each other until we finally come to our senses and learn to be more civil. Means we have to start valuing civility in each other.

Darunion likes this.
  28. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] Admin Staff Member

And with that gentlemen we are done here. Next time, use the report post button. It should not have been days before someone reported this thread.

As a reminder, it does not matter what the topic is of a thread is, if you can not follow the rules DO NOT post in that thread. Some people earned enough points for vacations from this little adventure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.