• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replacing a P6T Deluxe V2

Brinack

n00b
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
39
I currently have the following on my P6T Deluxe V2:

I7 920
HD 5870
6GB Corsair Dominator triple channel ram TR3X6G1600C8D

I would like to upgrade to a SSD and the GTX 680. I heard the SSD will not reach full potential with this motherboard.

I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards a good LGA 1366 board that would allow me to utilize the SSD and GTX 680. I would like to still keep the I7 920 and Corsair ram that I have if possible.

Basically are there any good boards for LGA 1366 that allow the 6GBs throughput, and the triple channel ram that I have???

And would the GTX680 have any problems with the hardware I have or would get.

Or finally would I be better served by placing the SSD/Gtx 680 into my current setup and not worrying about it ( I think it would run at 3GB right??) Awhile ago I was planning a x79 build but since I read some reviews I am not sure the money versus gain is worth it.

Thanks for any input, I have been out of the building scene for awhile and appreciate the knowledge and quick input here.
 
Last edited:
The SSD will be still miles ahead of the HDD; sure you lose some bandwidth, but unless you are completely disk bound/like benching disk throughput it will not matter for real life.
There are many boards for 1366 that have SATA3, among others, the Rampage III Extreme/Black Edition,, and the EVGA Classified 3/4-way SLI are both gorgeous boards.
The Classified3 is available from EVGA's B-Stock for $180.
 
Just keep your board. As someone that has run a sata III ssd on a sata III board and the same ssd on a sata II board there is a 99% chance you won't notice a difference in everyday performance. It may be a half second slower loading a program or a whole second loading a bigger program but if that doesn't sound like it will matter to you then you are good with your current board. You are also good with a gtx 680 on the current board. It still doesn't saturation pci-e 2.0 x16 bandwidth so there would be no performance drop there.
 
Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the Intel520 on the way.............
 
Last edited:
FWIW I have the P6T Deluxe V1 and going from HDD to SSD was a night and day difference. I can't imagine SATA 3 being all that much better, but either way you are going to see a huge difference.

Personally I wouldn't spend $100+ on a 1366 board when there are already a ton of good Sandy Bridge and soon Ivy Bridge stuff out for pretty cheap. I'd be upgrading my whole setup rather than doing that.

Plus, if you have the free slot you can always get a SATA3 PCI-E card if it's that big of a deal to you.
 
Plus, if you have the free slot you can always get a SATA3 PCI-E card if it's that big of a deal to you.

It's been discussed many times but the cheapest decent SATA3 card + software is @ 400.00.

The cheaper cards just don't have the performance and an Intel SATA2 would be the better choice.

I have a P6T and gave away an Asus U3S6 because it was so bad.

Stick with what you have......for now. :)
 
Back
Top