Reducing refresh rate below 50hz

princeboy47

Limp Gawd
Hi. So, I believe that low refresh rate, for gaming, looks good. I haven't purchased a high-end monitor yet, but I want to make a 60hz gaming monitor run under that refresh rate, and I already have a 50hz mode, that come with all the 60hz monitors, and I love the output, of the games, running smoother, with lower refresh rates, and I want to know, if there is a way, to make a 60hz monitor run lower refresh rates, than 50hz. Can someone advise. Much appreciated.

Please provide a detailed custom resolution, if possible.

i have 30 and 50 listed in my refresh rate options. what else are you looking for?

Could you do a monitor with VRR and cap your refresh rate where you want it? I know some monitors have much lower minimum refresh rate during vrr than others.

Lots of tvs will accept 24Hz if you're going for that ultra low frame rate?

Running monitor at eg. 50fps at 50Hz video mode with v-sync will have much higher input lag than running the same game at 100Hz monitor with half refresh rate v-sync, 50fps effectively.
Running the same game on 100Hz monitor with VRR but with 50fps limited will have even less input lag.

With VRR all you need to do is limit game framerate - though liting it to eg. 50fps because it is the lowest framerate your PC can handle doesn't make any sense. The only frame rate limiting with VRR which makes sense is limiting it to be just slightly below monitor maximum refresh rate eg. to 136fps on 144Hz monitor or 56fps on 60Hz monitor. This is because running within VRR range has less input lag than when hitting maximum refresh rate and relying on v-sync.

The only issue with really low framerates is when monitor's VRR range doesn't go low enough.
That said GPU's implement low framerate compensation and it works pretty well. On my 160Hz monitor I can go to 47fps or so and when framerate however around this value GPU will seamlessly output at twice the framerate.
This low framerate compensation for VRR is probably dependent on monitor VRR range and would work as good or at all on monitor which had range like 47fps to 75fps...

Anyweays, 60HZ video mode is pretty bad when it comes to input lag. 50Hz mode even worse. Going to something like 40Hz will be much worse. Each 10Hz at these low refresh rate video modes will add more and more input lag the lower you go.
And again: going from 50fps to 40fps on VRR monitor also adds more input lag but much less than by changing video modes from 50Hz to 40Hz and running v-synced.

Nothing, but articles, on Google. Can someone refer if that is a software, or built-in feature to TVs. Can someone provide a download link, or more clarification.

I did another search, and the option is on, by default. Can someone provide a way, to reduce the refresh rate itself, for any monitor.

1671574399978.png

Nothing, but articles, on Google. Can someone refer if that is a software, or built-in feature to TVs. Can someone provide a download link, or more clarification.
open your display settings and look at what you have for options...
1671574539111.png

Does it work, only with the native resolution, or any resolution. I cannot see that, from my end.

1671575863898.png

Hi. So, I believe that low refresh rate, for gaming, looks good.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could have come to such a conclusion. Since LCD panels first hit the market, the goal has been to increase both refresh rates and frame rates to match for the best motion clarity and visual experience. For a short time I had to use an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter cable which cut my refresh rate down to 30Hz on my work monitor. Even doing desktop tasks is painful like that. I've still got plenty of 60Hz monitors in use and while they are fine for things like watching Discord or monitoring applications, light web browsing, etc. I can't imagine playing games on them anymore. Which, I have done while benchmarking on the test bench. 60Hz and by extension anything lower than that not only doesn't look good, but gives me headaches.

You like what you like, but what you like is so far off the wall as to beg the question: Why? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I'm really trying to understand this.

On a side note, this is an issue with your monitor. My cheap ass Dell 20" 1920x1080 side monitor doesn't let me use anything other than 60Hz. However, my Acer Predator CG437K allows me to drop the display down to 30Hz or even 23.98Hz if I wanted to. Sometimes you can create custom resolutions using your graphics driver. If that doesn't work, you'd have to get a different monitor to punish your eyes like that. :)

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could have come to such a conclusion. Since LCD panels first hit the market, the goal has been to increase both refresh rates and frame rates to match for the best motion clarity and visual experience. For a short time I had to use an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter cable which cut my refresh rate down to 30Hz on my work monitor. Even doing desktop tasks is painful like that. I've still got plenty of 60Hz monitors in use and while they are fine for things like watching Discord or monitoring applications, light web browsing, etc. I can't imagine playing games on them anymore. Which, I have done while benchmarking on the test bench. 60Hz and by extension anything lower than that not only doesn't look good, but gives me headaches.

You like what you like, but what you like is so far off the wall as to beg the question: Why? I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I'm really trying to understand this.

On a side note, this is an issue with your monitor. My cheap ass Dell 20" 1920x1080 side monitor doesn't let me use anything other than 60Hz. However, my Acer Predator CG437K allows me to drop the display down to 30Hz or even 23.98Hz if I wanted to. Sometimes you can create custom resolutions using your graphics driver. If that doesn't work, you'd have to get a different monitor to punish your eyes like that. :)
I'm also curious, OP: not in a diminutive way: what do you find enjoyable in lower refresh rates? If it can be put in words, that is.

I know movies many times 'feel' better at 24 VS something like SVP that motion use interpolation, is it like that?

I do not know how to start this, but I did not try see any refresh rate, beyond 60hz, however, testing the game on 50hz was much smoother to me, and it also feels more cinematic, so I run games now on 50hz, 30fps, and I also use 1120x630 resolution, and I compensate that, with the in-game scaling, 200%, or higher, I got RTX 3070 for that, as that did not work, with my old r9 390x, and I would love that the refresh rate could go lower, as that is what I recently adjusted, you can try, and let me know what you all think, and thank you, for the replies.

I do not know how to start this, but I did not try see any refresh rate, beyond 60hz, however, testing the game on 50hz was much smoother to me, and it also feels more cinematic, so I run games now on 50hz, 30fps, and I also use 1120x630 resolution, and I compensate that, with the in-game scaling, 200%, or higher, I got RTX 3070 for that, as that did not work, with my old r9 390x, and I would love that the refresh rate could go lower, as that is what I recently adjusted, you can try, and let me know what you all think, and thank you, for the replies.

I tested out 50hz on my monitor, but I thought my games looked better on it's 165hz mode. Games seem to feel more responsive too.

Yeah, running games at 30fps at 50Hz, at non-native resolution... its official: you are CRAZY 😵‍💫

Again, I use the in-game scaling mode.
Games look much better, using in-game settings.
I also use Nvidia 'enhance game setting', with anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering, max settings.
If nothing can turn any resolution, but the windows VRR, then let me know, what is the version of the update, that has VRR.
Much appreciated!

the monitor listed in your screen shot does not support any type of VRR. idkw people keep mentioning it...

So, I can say that you can close that thread, and I will look for something else. Thank you all!

Back