Redfall (Arkane Studios)

What a shame, I was really looking forward to this. I'm glad I can sample this on Game Pass, but still going to wait until they roll out some fixes and people report that it's better.

I figure it's a "free" Gamepass game, so I'll give it a go while I wait for Jedi Survivor to get some additional updates. Worst case, I'll uninstall it after a few minutes.

What a shame, I was really looking forward to this. I'm glad I can sample this on Game Pass, but still going to wait until they roll out some fixes and people report that it's better.

it seems to have launched in decent shape (after the Day 1 patch)...it's everything else that sounds very disappointing- gameplay, graphics, story, meant to be played co-op etc

it seems to have launched in decent shape (after the Day 1 patch)...it's everything else that sounds very disappointing- gameplay, graphics, story, meant to be played co-op etc

It's not remotely in "decent shape". It is incredibly buggy and has massive hitching issues.

I wouldn't write off Arkane because of one bad game...4/5 great games is a pretty good track record...I blame the ZeniMax/Microsoft merger for Redfall...Arkane needs to go back to developing the type of games they are interested in making...Redfall was their attempt at a mainstream MP game

Hmmm so the take from that Twitter post is that Arkane deliberately made a bad game because of the Microsoft acquisition? Not sure that makes any sense. My issue with Redfall is that it's not just a game that was rushed out the door with bugs etc., it's that the entire concept of the game is lacking. Even if it ran perfectly it's still incredibly bland and boring if played in single player mode. Redfall should have been scrapped during the design stage. Arkane Studio mgmt (and probably MS executives) are to blame for giving this game the green light to begin with.

Hmmm so the take from that Twitter post is that Arkane deliberately made a bad game because of the Microsoft acquisition? Not sure that makes any sense. My issue with Redfall is that it's not just a game that was rushed out the door with bugs etc., it's that the entire concept of the game is lacking. Even if it ran perfectly it's still incredibly bland and boring if played in single player mode. Redfall should have been scrapped during the design stage. Arkane Studio mgmt (and probably MS executives) are to blame for giving this game the green light to begin with.
Yeah, I don't buy it. Deliberately sabotaging your own game is going to tarnish your own reputation, not Microsoft's.

Any console's "exclusive" do boost or tarnish the console reputation I would imagine, it does reflect on it, day 1 game on gamePass quality do affect gamePass reputation (like a strait to DVD release back in the days or a tv movie had an aura versus a theatrical)

I also do not buy the "delibarate", I wonder what sales bonus would mean here, but the studio still has to make more money if the game do well than if it does not and if that 0 the case, I can see that be a giant issue

Any console's "exclusive" do boost or tarnish the console reputation I would imagine, it does reflect on it, day 1 game on gamePass quality do affect gamePass reputation (like a strait to DVD release back in the days or a tv movie had an aura versus a theatrical)

I also do not buy the "delibarate", I wonder what sales bonus would mean here, but the studio still has to make more money if the game do well than if it does not and if that 0 the case, I can see that be a giant issue
If people let this one game tarnish their idea of Game Pass, then that is on them. Plenty of first-party day 1 releases have been well-received:
  • As Dusk Falls
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Gears 5
  • Grounded
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Pentiment
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Sea of Thieves
  • State of Decay 2
  • Wasteland 3

If people let this one game tarnish their idea of Game Pass, then that is on them. Plenty of first-party day 1 releases have been well-received:
  • Sea of Thieves

I'm not sure about Sea of Thieves on Day 1...seems like it took awhile for that game to get a decent audience

And all well received game will boost their view of GamePass and the Xbox, that seem almost trivial, the quality of the exclusive is the big differencing factor of the console war.

It just that it reflect say way more on the studio itself and the people that made the game in the most important ways, that it would be a really strange thing to do

Last edited:
Well at least for those of us who aren't willing to pay the ridiculous prices for the latest graphics card the series of flop after flop/mediocre game after mediocre AAA game makes it a lot easier to keep playing more graphically modest indie titles and older proven titles (Dying Light 1 in my case) and modded older games like STALKER GAMMA with our older graphics cards and not suffer from any FOMO.

Gamers really need to get beyond this weakness for wanting the latest and greatest.

So is this as worth while FPS?? And it does in fact support DLSS and Frame Generation tech?? I thought it was only FSR only? Value your input on this game before i lay down 70$ :cautious:

So is this as worth while FPS?? And it does in fact support DLSS and Frame Generation tech?? I thought it was only FSR only? Value your input on this game before i lay down 70$ :cautious:
This game isn't worth $70. I played intro and through the first mission and deleted it. Watch the review videos in this thread.

DLSS and FrameGen are supported, and it is absolutely 100% not worth $70. If you have GamePass, it's worth it for seeing how laughable it is. But it is not worth owning, at any other price in its current state.

Last edited:
DLSS and FrameGen are supported, and it is absolutely 100% not worth $70. If you have GamePass, it's worth it for seeing how laughable it is. But it is not worth owning, at any other price in it's current state.
thank you sir.

You know, I don't actually hate it. It's not necessarily good, but I've played way worse. I think I was expecting something unplayable. There are little hitches here and there (kinda like Fallen Order), but I'm otherwise having no technical issues. I think I'm going to keep going while I wait around for more Jedi Survivor updates.

EDIT: If they can ever fix those constant little hitches, I think I might even like the game. It's a little like poor man's Dying Light.

Last edited:
You know, I don't actually hate it. It's not necessarily good, but I've played way worse. I think I was expecting something unplayable. There are little hitches here and there (kinda like Fallen Order), but I'm otherwise having no technical issues. I think I'm going to keep going while I wait around for more Jedi Survivor updates.

EDIT: If they can ever fix those constant little hitches, I think I might even like the game. It's a little like poor man's Dying Light.
is the game like a farcry game? I love farcry series...

is the game like a farcry game? I love farcry series...

A little? To me it's a little bit of Left 4 Dead and a little bit of Dying Light, but with similar aesthetics to other Arkane titles. It's not a great game or anything, but if it ran better people would probably say it's a slightly below average game instead of an "unmitigated disaster."

It was made by Arkane Austin, also known as the B-team. Dishonored, Dishonored 2, and Deathloop were all made by Arkane Lyon. Prey was made by the Austin studio, but the production team on it was completely different. A lot of the talent that worked on Prey left the studio in the ensuing years.

I wonder what Arkane Lyon is working on...

A little? To me it's a little bit of Left 4 Dead and a little bit of Dying Light, but with similar aesthetics to other Arkane titles. It's not a great game or anything, but if it ran better people would probably say it's a slightly below average game instead of an "unmitigated disaster."
thank you.... certainly not going to pay 70$ for it, but when it drops to 20-30$ ill snag it

it's currently available on PC Game Pass for $10 a month
hmmm, never thought of this! thank you sir. If I subscribe to that service, do i also have to install the bethesda launcher as well to play the game? I cant stand having 6 launchers to play a damn game in todays world

hmmm, never thought of this! thank you sir. If I subscribe to that service, do i also have to install the bethesda launcher as well to play the game? I cant stand having 6 launchers to play a damn game in todays world

they shut down the Bethesda launcher last year...to use PC Game Pass you do need to install the Game Pass app

they shut down the Bethesda launcher last year...to use PC Game Pass you do need to install the Game Pass app
Hmm, ok! Also says needs windows version 22h1 or newer, and my stripped GAMES OS is 21h2 ... guess it wont work damn it!

Yeah, this is a game for Game Pass owners only. Not literally, but that's who should be interested in it. The idea of paying $70 for it is a bit absurd, but it's not a bad "freebie" for those of us paying $10 a month for other games. After playing it for 2 days, I really do think it's a passable title that is being severely held back by performance issues. The DF video covers it for the most part. FPS = mostly fine, but there are constant hitches as you move between areas.

An update just rolled out that helps with a lot of the stuttering. It's not totally gone, but it's significantly better. Still lots of texture pop-in, though.

An update just rolled out that helps with a lot of the stuttering. It's not totally gone, but it's significantly better. Still lots of texture pop-in, though.
The patch notes didn't mention anything about performance improvements. Looks like this was only for server stability and critical crashes.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/oVWtET4cHBabkrZgrQIqy/redfall-v1-01-hotfix-release-notes

GAMEPLAY
  • Fixed an infinite loading screen issue that resulted from suspending and resuming gameplay while Fast Traveling across the map
  • Fixed a save system crash that resulted from suspending and resuming gameplay while Fast Traveling across the map
SERVERS
  • Updated game server heartbeat logic for improved backend communication with live servers

The patch notes didn't mention anything about performance improvements. Looks like this was only for server stability and critical crashes.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/oVWtET4cHBabkrZgrQIqy/redfall-v1-01-hotfix-release-notes

GAMEPLAY
  • Fixed an infinite loading screen issue that resulted from suspending and resuming gameplay while Fast Traveling across the map
  • Fixed a save system crash that resulted from suspending and resuming gameplay while Fast Traveling across the map
SERVERS
  • Updated game server heartbeat logic for improved backend communication with live servers

Maybe some of the stutter is related to phone-home functionality? It's running unmistakably better on my end.

Back