Redfall (Arkane Studios)

EVERYONE on pc has been bitching about the new JEDI game lol. Runs amazing on the series X.

Promise they look and run amazing granted you have a 4K 120hz panel LED or OLED.
Apparently the new Jedi game runs and looks like ass on consoles as well, based on the Digital Foundry video.

I watched a gameplay preview of Redfall on IGN's YouTube last night and was left wondering WTF this game was supposed to be. Currently downloading since it's a Game Pass game, but I'm expecting Back 4 Blood levels of "meh" at best.

Graphically, going from the video posted I have to say this looked ugly. Generally when the max settings are "Epic" it means the game was kind of rushed or lower budget UE project. Kind of the default option there. Doesn't mean anything really, but again typically it is indie games with small teams that leave that working in there.

EVERYONE on pc has been bitching about the new JEDI game lol. Runs amazing on the series X.
Amazing ? Isn't running like the PS5 ? Seem to be the case

Not lock 30 fps at 1000p with top screen tearing, if that amazing, what would be running average ? 20-25 fps at 1000p or 30fps at 720p ? What would be bad ?

If an PC with a 6700xt was performing like that, people would lose their mind.

This game has none of the typical Arkane magic. Even Deathloop is vastly better than this.

Kind of shocking, actually. I think that the woke takeover theory that was mentioned above was probably correct. Keep activists out of the workplace.

God I’m pissed off. I’m going to go kill some zombies in Dead Island 2.

1683007309725.png

Ooof - that's unfortunate so far.

Looks like they've managed to outdo Jedi Survivor as the game with the worst optimization.

What the fuck are these developers doing with this engine

I have no idea. Not every game running on UE4 runs like ass. It's a recent phenomenon. The stutter was always there, but I don't recall it ever being this bad. My theory is simply that developers have gotten lazy after "the virus." Maybe they should go back into the office and stop working from home.
I’m sure it’ll run just great on my Xbox Series X lol.

Get yourself a PS5 and Series X so you can play all these great games without crying about optimization.

Promise they look and run amazing granted you have a 4K 120hz panel LED or OLED.
Jedi Survivor performance was mentioned above, but I'll add that it isn't all good on consoles. I play on my Series X about as much as my PC, and the high-profile performance issues that have occurred with releases in the past year are reflected on consoles. It's just not talked about because I guess console players are used to it. Recall the bitching about the "next gen" upgrade of The Witcher 3 on PC? The issues were even worse on console. If you went onto the Series X subreddit you'd see people frequently excuse the horrendous performance of ray tracing mode because of how "pretty" it looked. When I tried ray tracing mode, not only did the framerate chug along frequently at 20 FPS or worse, but there was horrible input lag and regular crashes. Yes, even games on console suffer from crashing.
Okay, so I’ve played for a bit, and the performance is fine (I’m getting about 90 FPS maxed out at 4K on a 3090) and the game itself feels very much like it was made by Arcane.

I don’t want to say anymore, because I’ve barely played - but so far the notion that this is easily the worst game of 2023 seems like hyperbolic nonsense.

Now that could change, but early on this isn’t the turd that some people are saying it is. That said, it’s not Dishonored either, and like that guy above said, I would rather be playing Dishonored 3 right now. But oh well.

I’m going to give this a chance. I need to see some atmosphere though. I’m big on that. Arcane has always delivered on that front, and if they don’t deliver here it will be disappointing.

Edit: Karak’s review does have me worried though.
This is generally why I don't judge a game based on reviews. I appreciate a diversity of opinion, but with Youtubers, at least, it seems that they just feed the circlejerk to get more views by baiting people with confirmation bias. I avoided Dying Light for an entire year due to the middling reviews it had on release, and it became one of my favorite games of all time after I bought it on a whim during a sale. That was the last time I based my purchasing decisions on reviews.

Well the game is living up to it's name Mostly Negative reviews in the Red and keeps falling.

Last edited:
To be fair a lot of games have low initial reviews but climb over time. Still I am not too sure what this game is after watching gameplay. I assume it is like Borderlands, but with more mobility and vertical with a little less looting. Something that has a half baked story, but is meant to be played as a story game with co-op. Do I have that right?

To be fair a lot of games have low initial reviews but climb over time. Still I am not too sure what this game is after watching gameplay. I assume it is like Borderlands, but with more mobility and vertical with a little less looting. Something that has a half baked story, but is meant to be played as a story game with co-op. Do I have that right?
Arkane wants you to play co-op. Stupid decision.

Arkane wants you to play co-op. Stupid decision.

pre-release the developers kept stating how the game can be played solo and you will still get the full experience...but reading reviews it seems it's like it's really meant as a co-op game...shame as I hate co-op...the Dying Light games did it right where you can play either solo or co-op

Last edited:

Looks like shitty Destiny mixed with shitty Borderlands in a way that you'd think kind of seems a little Left 4 Deady but actually isn't at all.

This game has none of the typical Arkane magic. Even Deathloop is vastly better than this.

Kind of shocking, actually. I think that the woke takeover theory that was mentioned above was probably correct. Keep activists out of the workplace.

God I’m pissed off. I’m going to go kill some zombies in Dead Island 2.
So you blame "woke takeover" for Redfall being awful but consider the game with two black protagonists to not be woke?

You don't even know what the fuck you're angry about

I feel covid lock down and forced rush transition to work from home (video games is not necessarily easy, encryption, asset size, artist-non artist, devs kits, collaborative nature versus other genre of software dev) could be more of a suspect.

What special with this game is how little ambition it seem to have, Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator, anything with large amount of players connected, that last Jedi game had quite an ambitious visual design going on.

This did choose an aesthetic particularly easier to render, a well-known genre of the first shooter, maybe it started way more ambitious failed and scaled down, but...

Last edited:
Decided to give the game a little shot. Performance is fucking garbage. I was getting constant hitching issues. Vsync is completely busted too. Outside of performance woes, the game is super buggy. In less than an hour I've run into all of this:

Human enemies not animating and just gliding along the ground (multiple times)
Enemy AI just breaking, causing the enemy to just stand in place and do nothing
Human enemies teleporting from spot to spot
Physics on enemies breaking, causing wild animations
My character skidding around without me touching any buttons on my keyboard and with no controller connected to the PC
Animations breaking on my character putting me in permeant slide view. Thankfully, fixed by sprinting and doing a slide
ADS not working
Guns not firing when I push the fire button
Got stuck in place by bumping into a tree. Had to fast travel away to get unstuck.
When fast traveling the game kept playing lines from a vampire that had been nearby before I fast traveled. That went away after a little bit.

Even if they can get the bugs and performance problems fixed, I still don't think it's going to be a great game. Gunplay is there, it's not spectacular but it's not terrible either. On the default difficultly standard enemies go down quickly enough and early vampires don't seem too bad, but they're also not really the fun to fight. The game world itself seems....Fine as well. Nothing terribly notable in the short time I played.

Once I finished playing I uninstalled the game. Maybe I'll give it another shot down the road, if they can patch it up but I don't know. There doesn't seem to be all that much there that's interesting, without the bugs it would probably be one of the most bland feeling games I've played in a while.

Runs on max settings on my 3080 just cant get into gameplay. Looks likes Deathloop with vamps. Busted ADS on mine too. RT boring graphics too console like.

I have no information to go on… but no way is this the same ‘team’ that made Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Prey… or even Deathloop.

What happened here?

Clearly a bunch of important people left the studio. Was this game REALLY made by Arkane? Not the old Arkane… the one that I love anyhow… that much is obvious. This present group is Arkane in name only.

So you blame "woke takeover" for Redfall being awful but consider the game with two black protagonists to not be woke?

You don't even know what the fuck you're angry about
Black characters != woke
I have no information to go on… but no way is this the same ‘team’ that made Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Prey… or even Deathloop.

What happened here?

Clearly a bunch of important people left the studio. Was this game REALLY made by Arkane? Not the old Arkane… the one that I love anyhow… that much is obvious. This present group is Arkane in name only.
It was made by Arkane Austin, also known as the B-team. Dishonored, Dishonored 2, and Deathloop were all made by Arkane Lyon. Prey was made by the Austin studio, but the production team on it was completely different. A lot of the talent that worked on Prey left the studio in the ensuing years.

Black characters != woke
I was using their implied definition as it's a catch-all term for the ignorant. Do you not connect the dots on the reactions here whenever non-white protagonists are shown in games? Star Wars Squadrons, Saint's Row, this, Forspoken, Watch Dogs Legion, etc, just get lumped into being "woke" because of it, especially if it doesn't meet expectations. People look forward to these games failing and Deathloop just so happened to be one of them, too, for reasons completely unknown /s

I know a lot of people are strictly about "looks" and "performance", but game play IMHO, is probably more important. Easier to "fix" problems in Red Fall for the prior, but the fact that it's battle AI is from the 90's, not so much.

What happened here?

It seems it is the norm when MS buys a studio. All the talent leaves and studio has flop after flop til MS finally shuts it down.

hopefully Arkane doesn't turn into the new Bioware (after EA purchased it)...From Software is the last one standing in terms of high quality independent studios

Clunky, janky, jerky, crap story and gun play. Feels like a lower tier indie game.
Perhaps even good as an indie free to play game on steam (for example). Just don't expect Entropy Zero 2 or even Black Mesa here. Both of those games I'd recommend over a free Redfall.

Perhaps even good as an indie free to play game on steam (for example). Just don't expect Entropy Zero 2 or even Black Mesa here. Both of those games I'd recommend over a free Redfall.
Is Entropy Zero 2 as good a game as Black Mesa? Because I've been meaning to give it a try.

Entertaining

I'm genuinely curious how a game this bad at this level of budget gets made or released in this state. What I can't understand is how it wouldn't be apparent to the devs and publisher at key stages in development that it's an absolute stinker.

Last edited:
Is Entropy Zero 2 as good a game as Black Mesa? Because I've been meaning to give it a try.
Enjoyable, smaller than Black Mesa (duh). Just nice to play the other side (on a more contemporary engine).

Edit: There is Portal crossover in it, which makes it even more fun.

hopefully Arkane doesn't turn into the new Bioware (after EA purchased it)...From Software is the last one standing in terms of high quality independent studios
FromSoftware is owned by Kadokawa Corporation. They are not independent.

Bull shit. Were they not involved when they canceled the PS5 version?
Full interview:

I won't call it bullshit, but it is a flimsy excuse. Psychonauts 2 is the antithesis. Microsoft reviewed that game internally after they acquired Double Fine and it turned into a critically acclaimed release. Why they would not do that with a far more high-profile studio is beyond me. Perhaps they thought that Arkane's good track record didn't warrant a review?

Bull shit. Were they not involved when they canceled the PS5 version?
That usually not what people meant, say Netflix say they gave creative control and did not got involved in the production of the movie X.

They do not talk about the release strategy, financing and so on.

Why they would not do that with a far more high-profile studio is beyond me. Perhaps they thought that Arkane's good track record didn't warrant a review?
Very often people will fight to keep control, the more powerful you are, the more ability to keep control you will have and better the track record (in reception, sales numbers) can do that.

Warner Brother could have way less review and intervention power on a $200 millions Christopher Nolan movie than a small one.

If Microsoft intervenes in a studio internal affair, that create a lot of friction and usually goes better after a failure they can use to justify it.

Back