Redesigning the Windows Logo

This should have been it:

Untitled-1-1.jpg
 
Yeah but they have to be approved I'm sure. Do you think MS will actually approve things like Open Office or other alternatives to big commercial apps that MS probably has shares in?

Or will it really be free for all? If that's the case then it's not that bad I suppose. As long as MS is not charging for apps that the original devs intended to be free. Either way, I'm sure china will have the whole thing cracked a week after it's been released and people will be able to load their own apps without going through the app store.

It looks like MS Office is included in the box with WOA devices and Office has continued to do well in spite of free alternatives. Mozilla is working on a Metro version of Firefox and I imagine that in order to avoid legal issues Microsoft will have to be very open with the apps it approves. And remember, Metro is a whole new ball of wax, Microsoft isn't arguing from a position of strength here and at this point Microsoft needs ALL the Metro apps it can get. they are probably not going to want to do anything to disenfranchise developers, at least not while they are getting Windows 8 established.

But not only that, at least for x86, an app developer can still developer whatever they want on the desktop, and that's still going to be the bulk of Windows machines so being overly restrictive with Metro would only serve to push people away from WOW which again just isn't in Microsoft's best interests. I'd see Intel more wishing for draconian Metro app control than Intel.
 
I know designing a logo is expensive but i would have done for free. Are they (MS) this disconnected from reality?
 
Sorry, I have an extremely difficult time buying any of this. There is no writing on the wall for the desktop PC, Tablets do not replace it in any way. Nor are they likely too anytime in the near future. The "ONLY" market that tablets directly threaten are laptops. As such there is no need to effectively destroy the desktop experience by trying to shove a shitty phone os port on it. Just like Laptops didn't kill the desktop, tablets won't kill it. They do not and will never compete in the same space. Laptops and tablets are about portability, desktops are about power, versatility and content creation. While Laptops may continue on in a limited scope for those that need content creation in a mobile package, this is the only market threatened by tablets.

If one is using a desktop to its fullest extent like high-end 3D gaming, sure, tablets not even laptops replace desktops. But how many average consumers use desktops to their fullest. VERY FEW. The bottom line is that if Windows doesn't adapt to the average consumer expectation of what a computer is, and that ladies and gentlemen is experience of touch screen smart phones and tablets then Windows will be nothing but complex keyboard and mouse driven relic of the past that daddy used for work. If Windows PROPER doesn't adapt it will lose hearts and minds of the next generation who will have no interest in using daddy's work machine.

There has yet to be any proven reason why there is a need to shove a mobile experience on to a desktop. There is utterly no logical reason to try and combine the OS into a one size fits all. One size fits all software "NEVER" works.

Other than the fact that desktop sales are stagnant and smart phone and tablet sales are exploding, yeah, no proof at all. I'm not saying that Metro and the Start Screen are perfect on the desktop, but even in the state that they are in then Developer Preview, I've simply not had any issues with doing EXACTLY the same things I do on my Windows 8 desktops and laptops than my Windows 7 equivalents. All the keyboard and mouse centric software I use on Windows 8 works JUST like it does on Windows 7, some of it seems to even run FASTER on Windows 8.

Either Microsoft adds tablet capabilities deep into the OS or Windows dies in the consumer market. It's just that simple. And for desktop users it's going to balance out I think, people who hate Metro will be canceled out by people like me that love the idea of a single platform that works with any device they want.
 
If one is using a desktop to its fullest extent like high-end 3D gaming, sure, tablets not even laptops replace desktops. But how many average consumers use desktops to their fullest. VERY FEW. The bottom line is that if Windows doesn't adapt to the average consumer expectation of what a computer is, and that ladies and gentlemen is experience of touch screen smart phones and tablets then Windows will be nothing but complex keyboard and mouse driven relic of the past that daddy used for work. If Windows PROPER doesn't adapt it will lose hearts and minds of the next generation who will have no interest in using daddy's work machine.



Other than the fact that desktop sales are stagnant and smart phone and tablet sales are exploding, yeah, no proof at all. I'm not saying that Metro and the Start Screen are perfect on the desktop, but even in the state that they are in then Developer Preview, I've simply not had any issues with doing EXACTLY the same things I do on my Windows 8 desktops and laptops than my Windows 7 equivalents. All the keyboard and mouse centric software I use on Windows 8 works JUST like it does on Windows 7, some of it seems to even run FASTER on Windows 8.

Either Microsoft adds tablet capabilities deep into the OS or Windows dies in the consumer market. It's just that simple. And for desktop users it's going to balance out I think, people who hate Metro will be canceled out by people like me that love the idea of a single platform that works with any device they want.


There still isn't an argument in all of that for a single OS for all devices. No one does it and there is a good reason for it. Apple uses a different OS for their phones/tablets than what they use in a laptop/desktop. Google likewise has made it clear that the Chrome OS is not intended for a standard desktop/laptop. The reason? Decades of programming experience have proven that trying to make a single piece of software work on completely different platforms is a foolish endeavor. I am not saying that MS does not need to compete in the tablet space, They do. I am saying that their current approach is asinine. What is going to end up happening is users of real machines are going to end up getting the short end of the stick with a shitty experience. So MS is essentially robbing peter to pay paul by gutting their core OS instead of building something tailored to the tablet experience. If they wanted some unification that is fine, there are tons of ways to allow the devices to tie into each other seamlessly (apple has proven this) without sacrificing one or the other.
 
There still isn't an argument in all of that for a single OS for all devices. No one does it and there is a good reason for it. Apple uses a different OS for their phones/tablets than what they use in a laptop/desktop. Google likewise has made it clear that the Chrome OS is not intended for a standard desktop/laptop. The reason? Decades of programming experience have proven that trying to make a single piece of software work on completely different platforms is a foolish endeavor. I am not saying that MS does not need to compete in the tablet space, They do. I am saying that their current approach is asinine. What is going to end up happening is users of real machines are going to end up getting the short end of the stick with a shitty experience. So MS is essentially robbing peter to pay paul by gutting their core OS instead of building something tailored to the tablet experience. If they wanted some unification that is fine, there are tons of ways to allow the devices to tie into each other seamlessly (apple has proven this) without sacrificing one or the other.

But that's the point. Not only has no one done it, no one has really tried, there's not decades of programing to prove it, like you said no one has really tried. Microsoft needs an angle like no one has before to break into tablets like no one has needed an angle.

Microsoft has gutted NOTHING in Windows 8. My keyboard and mice programs work exactly as they do before. My games work the same. Microsoft Office works the same. We browsing with IE 10 on the desktop works the same. Chrome, Firefox, etc. work the same. Launching them is different, that's all. For that trade off there will THOUSANDS of programs for Windows that would have otherwise never been written. And nothing Apple has done is as seamless as have the SAME OS run on different devices run EXACTLY the programs.
 
I'm a student in Emerging Tech, and I can see a world without desktop computers, but I fucking LOVE desktop computing. I love my huge tower and huge hardware. It'll be a while I think before we can have this much performance with price and temperature modulation in a small scale.
 
But that's the point. Not only has no one done it, no one has really tried, there's not decades of programing to prove it, like you said no one has really tried. Microsoft needs an angle like no one has before to break into tablets like no one has needed an angle.

Microsoft has gutted NOTHING in Windows 8. My keyboard and mice programs work exactly as they do before. My games work the same. Microsoft Office works the same. We browsing with IE 10 on the desktop works the same. Chrome, Firefox, etc. work the same. Launching them is different, that's all. For that trade off there will THOUSANDS of programs for Windows that would have otherwise never been written. And nothing Apple has done is as seamless as have the SAME OS run on different devices run EXACTLY the programs.

Well I suppose that is technically true, for them to have gutted Win 8 would imply it was designed for a desktop. It wasn't, it was designed for a laptop and comes off as nothing more than a shitty port on a desktop.

Glad your mouse and kb worked the same, mine worked like total ass in the dev preview which is inexcusable given how long those have been standard. Also saying that everything works the same is extremely misleading as launching everything differently effectively changes the "Entire" experience and that is the point. The trade off isn't thousands of programs that wouldn't of otherwise been written. Those programs would have been written if MS put the tools in place and fostered the development of them. Designing the OS for a tablet and ignoring the desktop market completely AND completely gutting any form of a sensible UI on a non touch device has nothing to do with that.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy Win 8 just like I have bought every version. The simple reason is I am an IT guy and I have to stay on top of the latest of everything. However you can bet that Win 8 is going to be relegated to a backup hard drive and only used when I absolutely need to learn something about it. Sorry, but win 8 in the desktop/laptop market is going to fail and hard. Microsoft had better hope that tablets explode because of Win 8 and that people don't just shrug it off in favor of something that is already established (Android). Personally, I see another "Project Mojave" in their near future..
 
edit above : designed for a tablet, not laptop.

Come on guys..a 30 second edit wouldn't kill you..:confused:
 
There still isn't an argument in all of that for a single OS for all devices. No one does it and there is a good reason for it.
Agreed. I think if you're absolutely exceptional at interface design, you might be able to pull something like the same-OS-everywhere concept off. But Microsoft is not absolutely exceptional at interface design. There are things Microsoft is exceptional at, but UI design just isn't one of them.
 
Sorry, but win 8 in the desktop/laptop market is going to fail and hard. Microsoft had better hope that tablets explode because of Win 8 and that people don't just shrug it off in favor of something that is already established (Android). Personally, I see another "Project Mojave" in their near future..

If you want gutted, yeah Vista was gutted to hell and back when released because so much shit was broken. I remember installing the Vista Beta in summer 2006 and seeing all the crap that didn't work. The alpha of Windows 8 has run practically everything I've tried with the exception of a Windows 7 task bar utility called Bins (and sine I started using Bins I don't even seen the Start Menu anymore everything is on my task bar) and the driver for my 4G LTE modem. Games, office, Visual Studio, media players, Zune, Chrome, Firefox, everything else works perfectly.

The keyboard and mouse are not going anywhere along with desktops but they have seen their best days of growth. Microsoft has to move on, and if some people hate it, they simply aren't looking at what average consumers want. Microsoft has to move beyond daddy's work OS with Windows. There's just no choice in matter how much people want to say Windows 8 is gutted when it can do everything Windows 7 can do. I admit, I've never seen a gutted OS that seems to support all the programs and drivers from the prior version. Pretty amazing.
 
Logo looks very uninspiring.

I'm really not terribly excited about Windows 8. An interface designed for touch screens sounds a bit silly, touch screens are shit, they're nice in theory but when you get down to it, really not that great. They're useful on smart phones or as an addition to a KB+M in a few specific situations, but other than that I don't like them.
 
If you want gutted, yeah Vista was gutted to hell and back when released because so much shit was broken. I remember installing the Vista Beta in summer 2006 and seeing all the crap that didn't work. The alpha of Windows 8 has run practically everything I've tried with the exception of a Windows 7 task bar utility called Bins (and sine I started using Bins I don't even seen the Start Menu anymore everything is on my task bar) and the driver for my 4G LTE modem. Games, office, Visual Studio, media players, Zune, Chrome, Firefox, everything else works perfectly.

The keyboard and mouse are not going anywhere along with desktops but they have seen their best days of growth. Microsoft has to move on, and if some people hate it, they simply aren't looking at what average consumers want. Microsoft has to move beyond daddy's work OS with Windows. There's just no choice in matter how much people want to say Windows 8 is gutted when it can do everything Windows 7 can do. I admit, I've never seen a gutted OS that seems to support all the programs and drivers from the prior version. Pretty amazing.

You are just bound and determined to support this aren't you? Do you even use a desktop? What advantage does the Metro ui offer on a large widescreen or multiscreen desktop? It doesn't offer any and that is the whole point. If anything it makes the entire ui more of a pain to use not to mention just plain aesthetically ugly and cluttered. Touch on large screens is never going to replace a mouse and keyboard simply because touch can never be as fast and accurate as a mouse and keyboard. They may be old, but that doesn't make them inferior by any stretch. Once again, I am not opposed to metro on a tablet, I love how it functions on a small touch device. I am opposed to it being shoved on a system where it is overwhelmingly inferior in function.

All arguments about code base aside, even if I completely dismiss the fact that using the same piece of software across completely different devices is a terrible idea. Give me a single good reason why metro should not be a toggled option on a non touch interface device? Why alienate nearly their entire desktop market with a UI that is so extremely foreign and badly designed? You either don't know the average user very well or have more faith in them than I do if you think they are going to love it. I work with hundreds of them every single day and just the change in UI from XP to Win 7 was a frustrating experience for most of them. That was nothing more than a graphical tweak for the most part and they still couldn't find anything. You honestly think completely removing any familiarity whatsoever is going to meet a positive reception? I laugh if you think that, because everyday experience tells me the exact opposite.
 
Dekoth, your experience is not rePresentative of the population but of a sample. We get it, you want us off your damn lawn.

Metro will be optional and worse case scenario will be a tweak that all you fancy high Gerek user well find easy RI make
 
Metro will be optional and worse case scenario will be a tweak that all you fancy high Gerek user well find easy RI make
All indications point to Metro being non-optional. Unless you use shortcuts, pins or Explorer to launch your applications, you'll be seeing Metro. It's also how you shut down your machine and get notifications, so it's practically unavoidable.
 
Dekoth, your experience is not rePresentative of the population but of a sample. We get it, you want us off your damn lawn.

Metro will be optional and worse case scenario will be a tweak that all you fancy high Gerek user well find easy RI make

Actually it isn't going to be optional and that is the problem. I likely wouldn't even give a damn if it was optional. I appreciate that you think I am opposed to change but you couldn't be more wrong. I dislike change that doesn't offer any benefit. As far as my experience being a sample, that sampling is the same way they determine statistics for everything including presidential elections. Perhaps you should do some study on statistical sampling.
 
I say it matches Metro pretty good.

Two matching steaming piles of shit.
 
This should have been it:

Untitled-1-1.jpg
Just replace the blue squares with that and you have a winner! I didn't hate the new logo but that Would look better.

All indications point to Metro being non-optional. Unless you use shortcuts, pins or Explorer to launch your applications, you'll be seeing Metro. It's also how you shut down your machine and get notifications, so it's practically unavoidable.
Hmm, from what I have read there will be different versions and only the consumer version(whatever that means but most likely not an ultimate or pro version) would have it mandatory.
Actually it isn't going to be optional and that is the problem. I likely wouldn't even give a damn if it was optional. I appreciate that you think I am opposed to change but you couldn't be more wrong. I dislike change that doesn't offer any benefit. As far as my experience being a sample, that sampling is the same way they determine statistics for everything including presidential elections. Perhaps you should do some study on statistical sampling.
My point was that you are presenting your sample situation as the population. Or what happens with you is how EVERYONE sees the situation. But seeming as though you already said you wouldn't care if it was optional then well I don't see a purpose in us debating on something we are agreeing on. But I still hold to the stance that a worst case scenario would just require tweaks of some sort to make the Metro thing less intrusive? and allow us to use the desktop as we liked on Windows 7.


I miss the old days of heavy duty tweaking. Remember the hacked uxtheme file we had to use to get cool themes in windows xp?

A buddy of mine did point out some phoning home mechanisms being put in place on Windows 8 that is pretty scary and is actually going to be initially introduced in Win7 SP2. I have to research it more but it has put a damper in my Win8 enthusiasm.

Bottomline, I am part of an apparent [H] minority that likes Metro, so rock on guys!
 
I agree; that looks like a bad waste of money on a redesign that makes the logo look worse than it did. :rolleyes:
 
Design wise, this logo is pretty mediocre. Not because it's simple, as simple is probably the best thing for a logo. Just look at Nike's swoosh.

I love the Nike "Just do it" though as it came from an iteration of the last words of a man being put down but the firing squad in Utah in 1977. Nike was like, that was [H]ard, let's use that!

20971_298367892390_298364282390_4041413_1656154_n.jpg



As for this new Windows logo, I guess "KISS" is in full effect! This might be a better fit though.

i-2d-7d8-8-1b.jpg




Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/business/media/20adco.html?_r=3&ref=business
 
Back
Top