Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

ive been following this thread since start and i wouldnt recommend this card to any1, not even newer revs

and theres still no memory cooling

Has anyone ever hooked one up to an HDTV over HDMI to see if the audio passthru works? This is one of the few cards that has the circuit installed, yet I still cant get a confirmation that the SPDIF/HDMI audio passthru actually works. Sigh. :eek::rolleyes::p

I'm still waiting on my gigabyte RMA, its been about a week and a half now and no word from them. I upgraded in the winter cuz its to cold to play outside, but now I have no way to play quake4 or quake wars and my winter is a sad one :( boo hoooooo

I've have had the HPV1 now for a week with no issues. Thank god! I did install some ramsinks just to be sure and increased fan speed to 75%.

One thing I did notice was performance on this card is kind of weak. Weak as hell compared to my GTX. I can barely run Crysis @ 1360x768 2xAA, textures set to high. I get around 20ish FPS. If I bump it up to 1680x1050 it gets rediculously slow. All this on a GA-P35-DS3R, Q6600 @ 3.0, 2GB GeIL Ultra 800 @ 1066.

I've even OC'd the card, modestly, to 720/1750/950 with no problems, but keep it at it's stock OC'd speeds since I saw no actual increase in performance when OC'd.

Otherwise I've had no issues in COD4, CS:S, BF2142, NHL08, QWET.

I've have had the HPV1 now for a week with no issues. Thank god! I did install some ramsinks just to be sure and increased fan speed to 75%.

How did you increase the fan speed when the fan has no tac wire (yellow wire) and as far as I know, is not adjustable, always running at full 100% speed?

How did you increase the fan speed when the fan has no tac wire (yellow wire) and as far as I know, is not adjustable, always running at full 100% speed?

Yeah, I guess Rivatuner didn't do squat...lol Its not very loud tho.

I just got RMA info. Here is the email they sent me:

We have finished the complete diagnosis of RMA#
>
>
>
> and unfortunately your item
>
>
> GV-NX88T512HP
>
> was not repairable. For this particular model, we are out of stock right
> now.
>
>
> Therefore, we cannot make a replacement for you at this moment. Please check
> the following link at
>
> http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2752
>
>
> and see if this model
>
> GV-NX88T512HPV1
>
> is acceptable for you.
>
>
> The price difference for the replacement is US$
>
> 0.00
>
> . If price difference is greater than zero
>
>
> Please fill out the attached form and fax it back to us at 626-854-9326.
>
>
> Thank you and sorry about the inconvenience.

Yea!!!

"We have finished the complete diagnosis of RMA####### and unfortunately your item GV-NX88T512HP was not repairable. For this particular model, we are out of stock right now. Therefore, we cannot make a replacement for you at this moment. Please check the following link at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2752 and see if this model GV-NX88T512HPV1 is acceptable for you. ...Blaa blaa blaa. Thank you and sorry about the inconvenience."

Happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy... :p:p:p

I've got a rev 1.0 card too (to clear up confusion for some people, although logically the older card(s) should be rev 1.0 and the new 2.0, Gigabyte did the contrary and the old cards dont have any rev but the new one with the heatpipe copper Zalman is called rev 1.0). It works very nice so far even tho I only played Oblivion (4xAA, 16x AF, full quality, QTP3 textures, lots of mods) but no problem so far. I even stressed it with the tool someone posted linke to here (which btw seems very nice stress tool) for 30 minutes and no issues with it (only reached a max of 71C temperature on the GPU).

PS: forgot to mention, I find it funny that when I got it I was thinking that the copper heatpipe version is the old version and the new one was the other one and had an argument with the dealer, good thing the dealer knew better than me...

1 reason why I always buy from Newegg. Even if they are slightly more expensive than other places their speedy RMA process makes up for it. I just recently sent back a dead Asus x1950pro 256mb card, which they discontinued, that had like 3 weeks left on the warranty. They're so kind to send me a shiney new XFX 8800GS 384mb card as a replacement. Gotta love the egg!

Anyways, these Rev. 1.0 cards seem to be a lot more stable than the older models. I played with overclocking mine last night and got a pretty decent clock out of it. 770/1850/1090. I didn't really push it much further since my office was like an oven last night. Bringing the voltage up stabilized it, but the higher the core freq the more unstable the memory became. Overall added another 500 points to my 3dmark06 score and a couple fps in games. Worth the heat? Naa.

I want to add to my earlier post that I bought a EVGA 8800GT as well and it ended up doing the same thing that my Gigabyte did (BSOD in Call of duty 4 multiplayer - and other games). This is after a motherboard, power supply, ram, etc replacement. So I decided to go out and buy a new motherboard (since I now had two 8800GT's and they may both be working fine and it was just some other issue). I bought the EVGA 780i SLI motherboard and now I'm running both my first version Gigabyte card and my EVGA 8800GT via SLI and have yet to have a BSOD. So maybe it was something else for me? I don't know but as long as it doesn't BSOD on me I'm happy :)

Well, I said I would post back when I received and installed this card (HPV1 purchased @ Newegg).

So far, it is looking pretty good to me. It went in a new build with Vista 64 (first time Vista user) and an E8400 CPU and the tweaking to the OS and the CPU have been my main focus so far....

I did run a few things after stabilizing the CPU @ 3.6. 3DMark06 returned 12084 marks. I installed Crysis and played it about an hour with no issues. According to GPU-Z, the card still has the 700 core/1840 mem and 1700 shader stock. Also according to GPU-Z, it idles about 49C and goes to around the mid 60's under load.

If you'll notice on the pics of this card, there are two cone caps on the heat pipes that jut out above the card. When I received it, one of the caps was sort of semi-crushed and I had visions of it leaking moisture all over the place the first time it heated up. But thankfully, that didn't happen. Also, I had to mod my MicroFly cube by cutting a notch so the jutting out cones on the card would slide in successfully via the motherboard tray. Those cone caps are *very* close to the PS when it is in place and I will probably shim up the PS a bit more....

All in all, so far so good...

I just got my RMA back today, 1 hour of quake wars and no crashes, so thats fixed.

But the FAN IS LOUD AS FUCK, its so fucking loud I can't even think, im going to have to remove this thing or something!! get a fan speed controller, i dunno.

it SUCKS!!!! the reason I got this card was for the silent fan

it says on the back of the new box 'Powerfull, but silent' BUT ITS SO FAR FROM IT

I'm on linux using driver version: 169.09 and with nvclock when I adjust fan speed nothing happens.

I think I have just made two mistakes. One, I actually purchased one of the first revisions of the GV-NX88T512HP card (what Gigabyte describe on their web site as Type A with the Zalman VF700-ALCU cooler and the sus memory chips). Next mistake was testing out some overclocking without noting what my factory default settings were (I thought for sure they would be written in the manual or listed on the web site as my reference) - Ha!

I've noticed that people are saying quite different factory speeds for GPU, memory and shader clocks (even before adjusting). Can some one with an original revision of card, who hasn't played with settings let me know what the default speeds are and I'll start again from scratch.

I really think Gigabyte have done a dodgy marketing ploy in not stating the speeds anywhere so they can release new cards (maybe with lower clock speeds to reduce problems) without having to update manuals / web sites etc.

Rawdog - The fan has only two wires, no tac wire for RPM and thus is not adjustable, running at full speed. Sucks to hear it is so loud as my RMA is due on the 27th. They fix one thing just to fuck up another. I'll report back my opinions on the replacement card.

Technophobe - The original card, the one I RMA'ed, was factory clocked at 700Mhz gpu core, 1715Mhz shader (I think) and 950Mhz memory. See my posts for a full report on this crap card) It was quickly (factory) lowered to 920Mhz memory as they realized there was a problem with the crap memory, which was rated at 1000 Mhz. Mine eventually would not even run 900 without problems, thats when it went back.

Will post back with results from my replacement, the GV-NX88T512HPV1.

I purchased the "V1" card for my recent build (P35-DS3R, E8400, 4GB G.Skill, etc). I am experiencing no loud fan or performance issues whatsoever - both in XP, and in a Linux LiveCD (haven't installed Linux yet, but plan to this week). GPU-Z says my card idles around 33 degrees, and I've only seen it in the mid-50's after gaming for an hour or so. Clocks 700, 920, 1700; using 169.21 driver. No way would I consider this fan "loud" - it would be nice to see an RPM indication on it though, instead of "30%" on GPU-Z.

Just to be clear, the p/n on the box says "GV-NX88T512HP Rev 1.0", ie, 88T512HPV1, this one HERE. Samsung memory, just like the photos back a page or two.

After finally pulling the trigger and deciding to upgrade from my old dog, I was worried the V1 card would be a piece of shit just as the original Gigabyte 8800GT was...but in my 10-days of experience with it - no steaming pile here.

There is a cure to the loud fan problem!!!!!

I've only run it for about an hour like this, but quake4 for 30 mins only got about 53C core / 37 ambient which is NOTHING in comparison to how boiling these cards can get

idles at 45C core and 34 ambient

The solution:

1) unplug the fan from the card, and jam its little two pin connector into a 3pin to 4pin adapters 3pin side.

2) re pin the 4 pin plug to send the 12v pin to the 5v side.

3) plug it up and vollia! silence!!!

Gigabyte is an idiot for running this fan so loud, no point in it, running it this way will probably make it last longer even. This mod is ez.

http://media.kradradio.com/space/DSC00692.JPG
http://media.kradradio.com/space/DSC00693.JPG
http://media.kradradio.com/space/DSC00694.JPG
http://media.kradradio.com/space/DSC00695.JPG

You can see in the 3rd picture how I shoved the 2pin into the 3pin

and in the 4rth picture how I for the moment shoved the two pins from the 4pin into a 4pin plug

ghetto for the moment, but technically very good... quiet

I'll do it proper after running this for a day or so.

Nice fan mod, I have all my case fans modded to run at 7v, 5v was not enough air flow. Here's a "how to" link to anyone interested. - http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

What I don't get is why yours is so loud compared to others with this same card. I wonder if they used a different brand fan on it. Can you make out any MFG info on the fan?

Yea, and what are your temps at load running just 5 volts?

Hi I'm new here - first post and everything :) After reading the Bjorn3D review of the GV-NX88T512HP rev 1.0 (which I think is the same as GV-NX88T512HPV1?) I'm 99% sure I'm going to get this card. Great thread btw - a good resource and I've learned that the old revision (with the Qimonda RAM) is best avoided.

I'm in the UK so am going to buy the GV-NX88T512HP from Ebuyer - the product picture they're showing is the old version but I've emailed them and they inform me the card is a "Rev. 1.0c", so it seems they're stocking the new version but have made a mistake with the picture.

Three quick questions:

• Is the rev 1.0 ___HP the same as the ___HPV1 I've seen linked here and on newegg? (It would seem so).

• Would a rev 1.0 card have an updated ..HPV1 model number outside of the US, or would they keep the same old model number on the box? The official Gigabyte website only lists the old -HP part number, and the Bjorn3D article also goes by it. I'm thinking Ebuyer is stocking the rev 1.0 card but going by the old model number.

• I was going to buy some ThermalTake BG1 CL-C0025 Cu RAM heatsinks for the card - they measure 14x14x8mm. Are these too high to fit under / around the large Zalman VF830-Cu, or will they fit ok? The Bjorn3D picture make it look like there's not much space.

Thanks in advance

Alex_T

I've got it from Dabs for 146... At the moment they have it for 153 which is cheaper than ebuyer's 159 (especially if you order it on weekend when they have free delivery).
The card I've got is the same as in Bjorn3D review and it reads "Rev 1.0" on it. It is NOISY - the only component that I clearly hear in my PC. Seems stable so far - although I don't have time to play new games, I 've tried "Fur rendering benchmark"... Idles at about +35C

Alex, well, the card in the link to eBuyer is indeed the old card. I don't see it mentioned there anything about rev 1.0. As far as the seller saying it is a rev 1.0 card and not what's pictured on the site, well, that situation could go either way. You might want to ask them to update their website first, just to be sure you don't get shafted on an old revision card and have to go through the hassle of returning it.

Well its been 1 day, and I've been gaming like crazy, quake 4 and quake wars

no problems with my 5v mod for the zalman fan.

It did get up to 65C one time, but it really hasn't been close since, maybe 58C while playing quake wars, I think anti aliasing makes it go higher but I dont use anti aliasing on quake wars since its so intense, just quake 4

with the 5v mod my computer is essentially quiet, my fridge is louder in my appt.

Well its been 1 day, and I've been gaming like crazy, quake 4 and quake wars

no problems with my 5v mod for the zalman fan.

It did get up to 65C one time, but it really hasn't been close since, maybe 58C while playing quake wars, I think anti aliasing makes it go higher but I dont use anti aliasing on quake wars since its so intense, just quake 4

with the 5v mod my computer is essentially quiet, my fridge is louder in my appt.

Your mod sounds interesting - if I find the fan too loud I'd definitely be up for trying it. Is there any soldering involved for "2) re pin the 4 pin plug to send the 12v pin to the 5v side."? Or is it just popping out the pins and re-arranging em?

I don't spose you could take a newbie-friendly set of pictures / instructions? :)

What a horror thread about my new card, I wish I'd seen it before I bought a HP. :p

Been using for about two days now, and so far so good. It's a rev 1 with the Zalman VF830-Cu cooler. Too loud for my taste, so I hooked it up to a ""fanmate".

This card has Hynix 1ns RAM, so I guess they've tried 'em all now. :D

Ok, got the RMA replacement on Wednesday and after a couple days use, all is fine so far. The damn fan is LOUD!, so I gave it a 7v volt mod, which helped quite a bit. It maxes at 60c under load. I think 5v is to low, I may decide to overclock down the road.

It came clocked at 700, 920, 1700, with Samsung ram. Also came in retail box with all the trimmings. Now I have two copies of (not to excited about) Never Winter Nights 2.

Two months later and now I can finally enjoy my new GFX's card...

Hopefully no more problems will arise.

Later...

Don't want everyone to think this is all doom and gloom... I have the 1st revision card, and have had no problems/instabilities with it.

DMA: are you using the "Zalman FanMate 2" product? I am wondering if I may use such a product, because I am unsure:
- if the 2pin fan of this card can be plugged in the 3pin connector of the fanmate
- if the vf-830 has a starting voltage higher of 5v (or any other hw details that may create problems with fanmate on that fan, as I've read on the Internet the fan must not have higher 5v starting voltage to be used with fanmate 2)

Just got mine (£151 from scan.co.uk) - everything great apart from the fan is pretty loud and stuck at 100%.

I'm going to go to the shop along my road and get a 3pin -> 4pin adaptor as well as a cheap fan I can use to cut away the 'passthrough' bit. Reading http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1350 and http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372297 were fairly good guides with pics to the 7v mod.

I'm going to plug the fan into the 3-pin adaptor, then the adaptor into a passthrough with the two wires set up in pos 1 and 4 for the 7-volt mod (great pic here) - will let you know how I get on :)

Just did the 7V mod on it with no soldering - using a 3-4pin adaptor and a 4-pin passthrough I cut away from a cheap fan :) - no soldering required!

done.jpg

Apologies for picture quality, my camera phone isn't great.

Had my first crash with the HPV1 last night playing Crysis. Actually a driver crashed. 169.38 drivers hung while playing. Nothing on the card was overclocked at the time.

I'll chalk it up as a fluke for now, if the problems persist I'll probably dump the card.

I have the first revision of this card from Gigabyte with the Zalman cooler on it and the Qx memory. I have yet to have any probs... What if I want to up to an SLI setup? Do I need to chase down the same revision, or will I be able to use a new revision as the 2nd card?

The guy posts in big letters DONT BUY IT and the next few posts points out the pros of the card.... ok so which is it buy or dont?

The guy posts in big letters DONT BUY IT and the next few posts points out the pros of the card.... ok so which is it buy or dont?

Vlad has since edited his original post to reflect his opinion of this Gigabyte card.

Read the edit dates on the posts.

Back