Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

Maybe, but I don't think 50 Mhz would make that much of a difference especially since it would be running at the same voltage.

I'll just deal with the fanmate for another month and then replace the card..The design is flawed..having a GPU fan without dynamic speed control was OK in the TNT2 days when the fan was mostly there for show.. But who in their right mind would release a card with a big fan locked @ 3700 RPM and call it "quiet and powerful"? Powerful maybe, but in 2D mode, the fan makes more noise than a stock 8800GT cooler.

Dynamat your case? That quieted down my machine a lot. Unless you are one of those idiots that has their machine up on their desk RIGHT next to their head and complains about it being noisey then you have no room to complain. Move the machine to the floor and out of your ears reach.

Nope, I'm not "one of those idiots". I have the machine on a side table, so it's not next to my ears. I would never keep it on the floor - I have one dog and one cat and prefer to vacuum the floor myself rather than having the computer do it for me :p

Except for the Gigabyte card, my machine is very quiet. You can clearly hear it over the other fans etc. Here's a recording where I'm adjusting the fanmate between min and max:
http://rapidshare.de/files/39565810/MIC00003.mp3.html
Keep in mind that the Fanmate only goes to 11V so it's actually even slightly louder at the original 12V setting.

I shouldn't have to mod my case just so I can use a poorly designed videocard. My X800XT and 9700 Pro were both very quiet. The X800 would make a little more noise in 3D mode, but even then it was barely audible over the other system fans and harddrives. It featured this amazing dynamic fan speed technology that is aparently too advanced for the people at Gigabyte, so in 2D mode, it was still nearly silent. As long as a card is quiet in 2D mode, I really don't mind if it's noisy in 3D mode. When I'm running games, I have the volume turned up (or use headphones) so I can't hear it.

I am "one of those idiots", but I have a big flat top desk, 35.5 lbs (empty), fat and quite Antec Performance Plus 1080 SOHO File Server Case, all case fans, + GPU with 7v mod, plenty quiet enough, just a low hum and can't hear a thing when gaming with the X-Fi and 5.1 dual sub system.

I would never put a computer even near the floor, only have to blow this out about once a year and I like it clean.

...I shouldn't have to mod my case just so I can use a poorly designed videocard.
I agree, they fucked up not making it with an adjustable speed fan, but doing a 7volt mode is not that difficult to do and is quiet & cool enough, I've never gone over 65c fully loaded.

I love my case...
PLUS1080AMG.jpg

Having a good case definitely helps.. As does not having alot of PCI cards near the GPU fan. The card is essentially "tripple slot", because if you place a card two slots below it, the card will still block the GPU fan. With the longer dual-slot cards, the fan ends up beyond the edge of the PCI card making it possible to put a short PCI card below it.

Rather than investing in a new case and a bigger mobo, I'm putting the card up for sale and ordering a 4850 ;)

Has anyone here had FREEZE problems with this card in Vista 64....

I think the problem I have been experiencing the last few days (i posted in OS forums and Power Supply forums) was due to the GIGABYTE GAMING HUD software...

Whenever it loads...screen goes pink for a second...and freezes during restarts...and the screen is all messed up...

CIMG9183.jpg

Once I UNINSTALLED the HUD...no problems any more...

Has anyone had problems with the card's HUD software in VISTA 64 bit??

thanks..

Has anyone here had FREEZE problems with this card in Vista 64....

I think the problem I have been experiencing the last few days (i posted in OS forums and Power Supply forums) was due to the GIGABYTE GAMING HUD software...

Whenever it loads...screen goes pink for a second...and freezes during restarts...and the screen is all messed up...

Once I UNINSTALLED the HUD...no problems any more...

Has anyone had problems with the card's HUD software in VISTA 64 bit??

thanks..

I had this problem in XP 64bit.

I think my card has bigger problems though. Card was built 2008 week 7. Has the full copper zalman cooler with Samsung ram. The damn thing gets up to 83 deg C real quick in most games... minus TF2. Once it gets to that temperature it clocks back down to the 2D settings. In that process makes the game all messed up texture wise. Then proceeds to heat right back up. It's in an open test rack with a 120mm fan blowing down on it.
Time to RMA for me.

I have one of these cards. I have the new type with the Zalman Vf-830Cu heatsink and Samsung VRAM.

The fan on mine is not noisy. I am quite happy with my graphics card.:D

I have a few questions if you don't mind. I notice this thread is a bit dead (last post 16/06/2008) I hope that some of you are still watching/reading it :)

Has anyone added RAM heatsinks to the VRAM chips on this card? I have some Thermaltake RAM heatsinks. How much of a boost in overclockabilty of RAM could I typically expect?
Also the the GPU heatsink of this card is obscuring some of the RAM chips. Some of them will silde under ok but for some this is not possible. I was thinking I could remove the GPU heatsink add the VRAM heatsinks, reapply thermal interface material and scre the GPU heatsink bank. It will be tight but I think it will go back on again after adding them. What are your opinions? Do you think I should do this? From looking at the Vf-830Cu heatsink it seems pretty simple to remove and would easy to put back again? Anyone got any experience?:confused:

Thank you.:)

I was getting the full purple screens of death on my card and fitted a HR03GT and the ram sinks to it. Made no diffence to my problems but did reduce my temps. Only thing that solved my problem was to down clock my memory speed.

I didn't remove the Zalman to add my ramsinks. All I did was use a bench grinder to grind down some of the ramsinks that wouldn't fit under the cooler so they would fit. All seems well so far, and I've had the card since March. Though I don't overclock it.

I was getting the full purple screens of death on my card and fitted a HR03GT and the ram sinks to it. Made no diffence to my problems but did reduce my temps. Only thing that solved my problem was to down clock my memory speed.

Which memory does yours have? How far did you have to downclock it?
I think that your card had other problems attributed to things other than memory.
My card is working fine. No problems at factory speeds and with overclock on those too. I am wondering if the heatsinks will give my RAM more overclocking headroom.

Which memory does yours have? How far did you have to downclock it?
I think that your card had other problems attributed to things other than memory.
My card is working fine. No problems at factory speeds and with overclock on those too. I am wondering if the heatsinks will give my RAM more overclocking headroom.

I doubt it. The ram, although not heatsinked by the factory, stays rather cool due to the airflow off the Zalman. I really didn't see much of an improvement with the ramsinks on.

On this particular card it's not the heat that is the determining factor on the overclockability of the ram. From all the reviews, and personal experience, a little over 1000 is all you are going to get out of the Samsung ram.

FWIW the card runs everything I play just fine at stock speeds. COD4, CS:S, BF2142 ... I pushed the card up to 750/1050/1850 and didn't notice any difference in gaming performance, just higher temps.

Has anyone tried installing other cooler on this card? My concernis that the card is shorter than normal and it is possible that some coolers wil not fit...

Has anyone tried installing other cooler on this card? My concernis that the card is shorter than normal and it is possible that some coolers wil not fit...

Talk about a thread resurrection!

Haven't had the need for an aftermarket cooler. Still using the Zalman it came with. Never see temps over 55c.

Haven't had the need for an aftermarket cooler. Still using the Zalman it came with. Never see temps over 55c.

Wow! That was quick :)
As for the question - it is not the temperature that concerns me. It is THE noise. I've recently visited a friend who has my old card (fabled Gigabyte 8800gt) and I find the noise it makes really annoying.

Am I correct to presume that the only way to make it quiter is to install a variable rheostat beween the fan and the fan pins on the card? And nobody ever tried installing other cooler than Zalman VF830 or whatever it was?

You can use a Zalman Fanmate to adjust the speed of the fan.

I don't think anyone ever bothered since the Zalman cooled so well.

ok maybe anyoune could help me. I have gigabyte 8800GT that looks like this http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/46755_e8499d35.JPG and when i play some games (now it would be overlord 2) game freezes, screen gets distorted and after few seconds screen goes dark as if thre would be no connection between card and monitor :/

maybe anyone knows whats the problem, and how to fix it ?

Back