Red or Brown Switch?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I would like to get a mechanical keyboard. I am looking at the CM Rapid Fire for $75. Its small which I like. I'm just not sure what switch to get it in.

1. I play BF3 and BF4 when it comes out also Skyrim
2. I do some typing not much but I do, for web surfing etc
3. I like it quiet while typing, not dead quiet but not like a Blue switch

I think it comes down to either Red or Brown just not sure which one.

Thanks

It's really impossible to tell which you'll like better. Neither the red nor the brown has the noise of the blue, but both are still going to be noisy. The only good way to tell is to try them out yourself and see which you prefer. Some people like the tactility of the brown, and others hate it.

I think that one i put these dampers (below) on my Rosewill 9000 w/ mx reds it felt keytravel wise quite a bit like my WASD V1 w/ dampers and MX-Browns... the dampers also have a noticeable effect on noise when typing (or at least on noise if you bottom out... undampered pretty much all these switches are noisy ... but the blues are especially so. Before I put the dampers on my MX-Red rosewill I wasn't loving it..but with the dampers on it I like it very much I have been using it instead of my WASD for a couple weeks now since we moved...but I will probably switch back to my WASD shortly I think. for my part I am about 6of1 for either my red or brown keyboards w/ the dampers on them.

http://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-O-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051XWXCE/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

(cheapest dampers i am personally aware of (order wire keycap puller if you do not have one before attempting ...to put all them dampers on also)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like to get a mechanical keyboard. I am looking at the CM Rapid Fire for $75. Its small which I like. I'm just not sure what switch to get it in.

1. I play BF3 and BF4 when it comes out also Skyrim
2. I do some typing not much but I do, for web surfing etc
3. I like it quiet while typing, not dead quiet but not like a Blue switch

I think it comes down to either Red or Brown just not sure which one.

Thanks

I prefer the fully linear feel of reds. Browns have a little bump during actuation which some people like.

A couple deals.

I have the K60, the keys are mounted directly on top of the metal substrate so it's very rigid. I don't think any mechanical keyboard is going to be truly "quiet", but when I first got it the noise bothered me. Now I don't notice the noise but actually prefer the tactile feedback when hitting a key.

I prefer the reds as well, but if the noise bothers you, small rubber o rings can help quiet them somewhat.

Reds with o-rings for me. I much prefer linear keys to tactile when gaming.

Probably not what you want to hear but you really need to try them. I thought I wanted reds when I bought mine I however wish i had gone with a key that was harder to press as the reds are to lite for me.

I have the browns with O-rings on most of my keyboard. I had them to the space bar and enter keys on reds with o-rings.

I've had both and honestly, I really prefer reds as they are very light and linear, but like everyone else in this thread is saying, its all up to personal preference.

Reds are very light and I've been able to type quite quickly on them. Browns are still pretty light but feel a bit squishy to me. I generally prefer reds.

I'm a big fan of the linear feel of reds. I have them on my Corsair K70. I play FPS, Skyrim and 3rd person games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Diablo 3). I've had the reds for over a month now and have no regrets.

Only comparison I have is with Black and Blue switches. I was able to play with some demo KBs at a retail store. Blacks required too much force for my comfort, blues don't make for a gaming keyboard and are super clickly loud for my taste.

I have the Corsair K60, and I can say this is the best keyboard that I used. But... the unique cons is: doesnt have backlight, so, I can recomend you the Corsair K70

The sample kits are only good for a basic reference to the action to the switch, a mounted switch will feel very different because of many factors including, but not limited to; keyboard case construction, switch mounting options, PCB, keycap material, keycap material thickness, and keycap profile.

If you buy a MX-based keyboard without trying any, don't consider anything other than browns IMO. Only consider the other types if you can try them first.

If you buy a MX-based keyboard without trying any, don't consider anything other than browns IMO. Only consider the other types if you can try them first.

I believe this is very sound advice. The browns are very centrist in their feel.

I know some people which really dislike reds since they have no tactile feedback, blacks/clears because they feel it is too high resistance, blues because they sound like a swarm of woodpeckers, etc. I have yet to meet anyone who used brown switches and complained.

I believe this is very sound advice. The browns are very centrist in their feel.

I know some people which really dislike reds since they have no tactile feedback, blacks/clears because they feel it is too high resistance, blues because they sound like a swarm of woodpeckers, etc. I have yet to meet anyone who used brown switches and complained.

Many that enjoy linear or noticeably-tactile dislike MX Brown because they are a middle-ground; "gritty linear" is normally what linear fans describe them as and "feels linear when typing fast" is normally what you get from the other crowd. From what I've read though, they become noticeably tactile after being lubed; I've yet to try such, but quite a few have mentioned it.

The best advice is to find a way to test them out without locking yourself into an option, either through; testing out at a friend's place or brick and mortar store, buying from a site with a good return policy, or buying cheap and reselling.

I just bought the Sword of Victory from Tesoro, the Cherry Blue version. I really like the tactile feedback. I don't find it loud at all, it gives me the sound tactile that I want so I know I did press that key. It's 1 of the best item I bought for xmas.

I have this Ducky Keyboard with Browns, Its the only cherry switch iv'e tried so couldn't tell you which i prefer but thought i'd mention that browns feel gritty to me. If i ever move to house where the walls are made of more than paper i'll probably buy a keyboard with blues to try out.

I like either browns with o-rings or reds without, personally. It's a weird distinction, but that's where I've ended up over time :)

RED I love my Reds on my ducky. I also used them on my Steelseries. I play lots of BF4.

I tried CM Quickfire Pro with Browns and hated it , fingers got tired as I tend to bottom out. The Logitech G710 (brown with O-rings) felt better but still quite stiff. Now on K70 red which I like a lot - going to mod with O-rings soon and that I think will make it perfect.

I tried CM Quickfire Pro with Browns and hated it , fingers got tired as I tend to bottom out. The Logitech G710 (brown with O-rings) felt better but still quite stiff. Now on K70 red which I like a lot - going to mod with O-rings soon and that I think will make it perfect.

Reds have rather softer springs than browns and should be easier to bottom out... I suggest you give MX Clears a try at some point also. They're a bit more tactile and a bit more stiff. (though who knows, you might still prefer reds, but I'd say clears are worth a try)

Reds have rather softer springs than browns and should be easier to bottom out... I suggest you give MX Clears a try at some point also. They're a bit more tactile and a bit more stiff. (though who knows, you might still prefer reds, but I'd say clears are worth a try)

They (MX Red and Brown) actually use the same spring (to with in +/-5g per Cherry Corp.'s tolerances), MX Brown only feel heavier due to the tactile action of the switch, which also goes for MX Blues.

I picked up an old Compaq keyboard from a thift store with browns. I like it WAY better than blues. Reminds me of the Dell AT101/104W boards I love so much.

When I first got my Steelseries 6Gv2 I was hitting random keys left and right. But after a few weeks I got used to the really light Red switches. They are actually enjoyable to type on for me as well, although I haven't done really long papers in a while. They are pretty good for games though, but again it's a double edged sword sometimes if you accidentally rest your hand on a key and it registers.

Matter of taste, I personally couldn't stand the feel of reds coming from a rubberdome KB but browns are pretty spot-on for me though.

Just modded my K70 with O-rings: used up all 122 out of 125 rings I got since 9 of the big keys on the board use two dummy switches on the sides for stablization. While it took about an hour, the difference seems totally worth the effort to me and I wish that more manufacturers would just give you the option of buying the board with them installed.

Another vote in favor of the K70 (regardless of the switch type you pick in that), the dummy switches for the larger keys make pulling them just as easy as the smaller ones, no dealing the horizontal bars on other keyboards.:D

Just modded my K70 with O-rings: used up all 122 out of 125 rings I got since 9 of the big keys on the board use two dummy switches on the sides for stablization. While it took about an hour, the difference seems totally worth the effort to me and I wish that more manufacturers would just give you the option of buying the board with them installed.

Another vote in favor of the K70 (regardless of the switch type you pick in that), the dummy switches for the larger keys make pulling them just as easy as the smaller ones, no dealing the horizontal bars on other keyboards.:D

Those are just cherry brand stabilizers. Boards from companies like Filco or DAS tend to use Costar stabilizers, which are the horizontal bars you mention. FWIW, most of the mech keyboard snobs at geekhack prefer the Costar stabilizers, but I've got multiple boards now with the ones from Cherry themselves and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I've been using the Corsair K95 with red switches and I love them. I went to Best Buy this evening and found the Logitech 710+ with brown switches and it was a lot more mushy than the reds. Almost felt like the dome style keyboards.

I picked up an old Compaq keyboard from a thift store with browns. I like it WAY better than blues. Reminds me of the Dell AT101/104W boards I love so much.

you have a photo? I use compaq / hp for 20 years, I didn't know they have mechanical brown keys keyboard

Back