Red Dead Redemption 2

Screenshot 12_5_2019 4_53_28 AM.png

Deer Hunting simulator

Mixed reviews on Steam mainly how the game runs and people can't link their account to the Rockstar client.
I mean if you you have a PC that is a few years old good luck.

Mixed reviews on Steam mainly how the game runs and people can't link their account to the Rockstar client.
I mean if you you have a PC that is a few years old good luck.

My PC is basically 6 years old and I'm doing OK. "Playable" as they say. I should really put those specs in my signature :V

This game is honestly way longer than I expected. It keeps going...

Some characters seem to have finally reached their destination or concluded their metamorphosis so surely I must be getting near the end. Then again I thought that shit like 10 missions ago.

Looks like the crash with a controller was related to the Steam overlay. An update to Steam was pushed out over night to fix the issue.

Can you get a nice boost in graphics quality with MSAA? I think it does look better with it on but I need to check here if anyone else does too. Maybe the IQ is also being affected by sharpening in the shader I'm using or in the Nvidia control panel with newish drivers.

I haven't tried msaa, but it appears to have the biggest performance impact according to some of the reviews.

Finished the main story like a week ago - clocked about 80 hours with amble fucking around.

God damn that was rough. Bothered me enough that I couldn't bring myself to play the epilogue because I missed playing as Arthur. Haven't touched the game since.

Just posting to say that it appears all benefits from the Wheeler, Rawson & Co. Outlaw Pass No. 2 unlock retroactively once you pay the membership fee :pompous:

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Just picked this up direct via Rockstar (since that's how I have GTA V registered anyways)

Well, I used the settings this guy suggested:

(timestamped to the settings summary)

I'm now getting a silky smooth 60hz via rig in sig.

Def glad I waited a month to let Rockstar iron out the kinks etc.

Tonight, this is all I plan to do (y)

EDIT @ night-time: Got all the way through Chapter 1.... Man, that was a long-ass prologue..

Last edited:
Just picked this up direct via Rockstar (since that's how I have GTA V registered anyways)

Well, I used the settings this guy suggested:

I'm now getting a silky smooth 60hz via rig in sig.

Def glad I waited a month to let Rockstar iron out the kinks etc.

Tonight, this is all I plan to do (y)

EDIT @ night-time: Got all the way through Chapter 1.... Man, that was a long-ass prologue..

It's a long ass game

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61312/Winter-Weather-Warning-on-the-Frontier

I heard a guitarist in Blackwater playing last night, and I definitely thought one of the jigs was something Christmas-y. Snow hadn't started to fall yet, but I'll see tonight. Pretty impressive overhaul, considering they re-textured the whole map and more.

I think this only affects RDO. Free gifts on the way as well, never a better time to start checking it out. Seems about 3/4 players are still just looking to go about their business. And you can just respawn to avoid any drawn out griefing.

Edit: snow actually melts away with sunrise in Lemoyne, immersion++

Last edited:
like this
I bit the bullet and got it on Steam today. Guessing this will be the motivation I need to finally upgrade from my GPU.

I'm finally gonna buy it since the sale is going on. Is the deluxe edition worth it?

I'm finally gonna buy it since the sale is going on. Is the deluxe edition worth it?
Not really, it's a couple of skins and a gun or two, plus a quick robbery mission you'd never even notice was missing. There's also the boosts which make your cores drain 20% slower and such, which you can disable in-game. It's worth maybe $5. The usual price difference is $20, which is insane. I think on current sale it's $10.

The Ultimate Edition has the online XP Boost which is worth it if you plan on hardcoring the online mode. Even then, the price jump is even more.

I bit the bullet and got it on Steam today. Guessing this will be the motivation I need to finally upgrade from my GPU.

With the more modern processor you should be OK. I'm running an gtx 970 overclocked to 1500Mhz on the core and 3700 on the memory on an AMD FX 8950 and I get decent enough framerates, 40-50 in the wilderness and 30-40 in the dense cities. With the i5 and DDR4 ram you're in a better position it will be a fine experience!

The game does not like my fx8350 w/rx 570. I definately need to tweak settings. Default has it running in 1366x768 or some such resolution. Runs fine but you've got non native resolution blur. Bumping it to 1080p was a stutter fest.

That's a pretty old GPU/CPU combo at this point. I wouldn't expect many games moving forward to run much better.

I get mid to high 50s, with dips to the upper 40s at night in St. Denis, with settings at High at 4K and textures at Ultra. This is on a 2080 Ti on I9-9900K, so I am guessing 3080 Ti to attempt everything on Ultra. I am trying to maintain mid 50s to stay in G-Sync range.

Honestly though, can't really notice any big differences between High and Ultra, and even Medium on some of the settings.

I like this a lot. Thank you for posting it and the timestamp was especially handy. :)

I'm playing the game at 4k on a single GTX 1080Ti with a G-sync monitor so I tried to be realistic since the beginning. G-sync has been buying me a lot of grace with some greedier settings in a few areas but I have used his and there were a few he has at high and went to medium (shadows and such.) I really don't want to dumb things down much more but I did buy myself a few more frames overall.

I'm on Nvidia driver 441.34 and the in-game benchmark now has me at:

Minimum FPS: 32
Maximum FPS: 58
Average FPS: 41

I'm not sure how much more I can do really but I'm open to suggestions.

I discovered within a couple days of my original post that "Tree Tesselation" is a frame-eater (ie -5) so make sure that's off if it isn't already.. (y)

My g-sync monitor arrives in a couple of days and I didn't realize till after ordering that the fps range goes from 30-144 (instead of the usual 48 bs etc). So yeah, that's gonna be a real treat for me :)

Last edited:
like this
I like this a lot. Thank you for posting it and the timestamp was especially handy. :)

I'm playing the game at 4k on a single GTX 1080Ti with a G-sync monitor so I tried to be realistic since the beginning. G-sync has been buying me a lot of grace with some greedier settings in a few areas but I have used his and there were a few he has at high and went to medium (shadows and such.) I really don't want to dumb things down much more but I did buy myself a few more frames overall.

I'm on Nvidia driver 441.34 and the in-game benchmark now has me at:

Minimum FPS: 32
Maximum FPS: 58
Average FPS: 41

I'm in the same position, playing at 4K with a 1080ti, and this game is absolutely murdering it. I also followed those settings but lowered several things even further and i'm still struggling to get past about 45 fps. No gsync so this really isn't what I want.

Part of what baffles me is how good this game looked on the Xbox One X. Granted, only 30fps, but native 4K and graphics every bit as good as my 1080ti can produce at 4K 30fps. I'm not sure if this is a testament to how well done it was on Xbox, or how bad the PC port is. I really wanted to replay this at 4k 60fps, and I'm thinking that's just not going to happen.

like this
I discovered within a couple days of my original post that "Tree Tesselation" is a frame-eater (ie -5) so make sure that's off if it isn't already.. (y)

My g-sync monitor arrives in a couple of days and I didn't realize till after ordering that the fps range goes from 30-144 (instead of the usual 48 bs etc). So yeah, that's gonna be a real treat for me :)

It is. I hope you're ready for shock and awe. :)

I know I'm "within the range of G-sync" which is very helpful. I just wanted to help it out a little bit more. I'll go after that tree tesselation immediately.

I get decent enough FPS w/ a 2080ti @ 4k. It's under 60 though, and it wouldn't be the best without g-sync helping out.

Just picked it up on steam sale, avg FPS with benchmark was 43, seem to get around 36-50 fps in the first hour ive played. running a 7700k and 1080Ti @3440x1440

upload_2019-12-28_14-12-35.png

https://gofile.io/?c=mgEeXH

Here's my system.xml config file.Take a look, maybe it'll be of some use to you guys etc.

I'm only at 1080p but on the bench my min is 58.5 and max/avg are capped. So maybe, just maybe there's a setting or two I tinkered with that'll help.

like this
Back