Record hot temperatures

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
Out of curiosity, did the record high temperatures across part of the country today affect any of you guys? It got upto 86 today, and it has become clear that folding1 and 2 need to get cleaned out. With the inside of the house steaming(can't turn on the a/c yet), folding 1 hit low 80's and folding2 hit mid 70's.

During all of last summer, both rigs never exceeded the low to mid 70's.

Turned on the AC today. Rigs are in the bacement so they are fine..... just gets hot up here in the rest of the house.

It was 80 in Madison, WI - that never happens this early. A/C has bee going full blast most of the day. Folding boxen temperatures are actually lower with the A/C.

Use this as an opportunity to do the regular system cleanings to increase air flow. My Quad started to over heat a few days back and when I looked inside, I had skipped a regular cleaning and it was caked in household dust. Now it is back up and crunching 100%. I also took that time to clean out 4 other systems. I find it easier to clean them all at once so it doesn't seem so laborsome.

Use this as an opportunity to do the regular system cleanings to increase air flow. My Quad started to over heat a few days back and when I looked inside, I had skipped a regular cleaning and it was caked in household dust. Now it is back up and crunching 100%. I also took that time to clean out 4 other systems. I find it easier to clean them all at once so it doesn't seem so laborsome.

What is the easiest way to clean the rigs? I was thinking about doing what I always do and just go wild with a bunch of cans of compressed air. The last of my SilenX fans also bit the dust, so that probably needs to get replaced too. SilenX are the biggest POS i've ever seen in my life.

What is the easiest way to clean the rigs? I was thinking about doing what I always do and just go wild with a bunch of cans of compressed air. The last of my SilenX fans also bit the dust, so that probably needs to get replaced too. SilenX are the biggest POS i've ever seen in my life.

if u have a buddy with a shop with a huge compres'd air tank like i do its a cake walk and no cold hands from the can :)

I don'tt understand the "can't turn on AC yet" part. The only thing keeping me.from my AC is a 15 foot walk from my couch.

Last edited:
I install a window air conditioner when it gets hot in the summer, no central air.

Out of curiosity, did the record high temperatures across part of the country today affect any of you guys? It got upto 86 today, and it has become clear that folding1 and 2 need to get cleaned out. With the inside of the house steaming(can't turn on the a/c yet), folding 1 hit low 80's and folding2 hit mid 70's.

During all of last summer, both rigs never exceeded the low to mid 70's.

its still cold as hell over here.. measly 48F today..

hit ~93f today, sure as hell didnt stop me ..... windows open and all i kept folding :D although I did clean out the 1090T rig today sitting here now in the 80'sf ambient, with 32c folding on the 1090T and the 2600k barely hitting 70c...

Barely hit 70F here in north central PA .Had snow on the ground 3 days ago :(. Most of my farm is in the basement also

hit ~93f today, sure as hell didnt stop me ..... windows open and all i kept folding :D although I did clean out the 1090T rig today sitting here now in the 80'sf ambient, with 32c folding on the 1090T and the 2600k barely hitting 70c...

Air Conditioning, it's much easier on you and your rigs, if it gets over 75 degrees in my house i start panicking :eek:

Air Conditioning, it's much easier on you and your rigs, if it gets over 75 degrees in my house i start panicking :eek:

are you in FL ? You know how hard it is on the bill to fold + cool the house to sub 80f ? ..... very unrealistic, thats why i dont GPU fold anymore, and why i paid extra for H50's (they work better than aircoolers in my situation form my comparisons)....we typically run the AC at ~85f during the day and ~80 at night....

are you in FL ? You know how hard it is on the bill to fold + cool the house to sub 80f ? ..... very unrealistic, thats why i dont GPU fold anymore, and why i paid extra for H50's (they work better than aircoolers in my situation form my comparisons)....we typically run the AC at ~85f during the day and ~80 at night....

I lived in Hotlanta for years, around Augusta GA for 15+ years, now i am a little further north, and yes I know what it costs, around $300 a month in the peak summer months for our 3200+ sq ft home.....it is worth every penny. I simply refuse to sit in my own damn house and be uncomfortable, money be damned. Within a certain amount of course, I am relatively poor, at the low end of the middle class bracket....but me and my equipment will be comfortable. As a result I cannot own and maintain and afford to run a folding farm......I choose my comfort over the farms......sorry...

lol, no worries over choseing comfort over farm (thats why i am SMP/CPU only) , and i am perfectly comfy in ~85f room, 95 on the other hand.....then again i also dont pay the bills so its up to the parents when the AC is on :D

lol, no worries over choseing comfort over farm (thats why i am SMP/CPU only) , and i am perfectly comfy in ~85f room, 95 on the other hand.....then again i also dont pay the bills so its up to the parents when the AC is on :D

oh totally different situation then.....hope I didn't offend, it's just one of my "things" ;)

Christ, I start to become uncomfortable at about 76f.

It's hot in the uk too (never this hot, this early). Over here air-con is considered a luxury, but I work from home and with these monitors and folding, I'd call it a necessity.

Also I use dust filters on my pc, it's silent until they clog up and the fans spin up when it is time to clean them. Then it's just a matter of cleaning the filters, a two minute job and I don't have to shut down.

Last edited:
We already hit 100 here (couple weeks ago).
Got pretty warm in the office.
Forunately, SWMBO was out of town. Didn't have to hit the A/C.

No rigs overheated.

I think I'm going to put in a swamp cooler this year.
It's dry enough for most of the year that this should lower the A/C bill immensely.

With wife and small kids, the ac comes on above 75-78

I would stop folding before I raised the ambient.

Ac ran all day yesterday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Had to kick on the AC yesterday, temps were getting into the mid 80s. Ironically, the graphics cards didn't move a degree... go figure. Temps safely back down in the 70s now though.

It hit the upper 80's maybe 90 yesterday. But i'm in TX, so this is still cool spring weather to me.

It's just getting to the 70s here in Central California. Overall the temps have been running below average for the month and I don't mind it a bit. In another month it'll start hitting 90+ but the AC will be running.

We already hit 100 here (couple weeks ago).
Got pretty warm in the office.
Forunately, SWMBO was out of town. Didn't have to hit the A/C.

No rigs overheated.

I think I'm going to put in a swamp cooler this year.
It's dry enough for most of the year that this should lower the A/C bill immensely.

Yes, an evaporative can be pretty handy. I have a portable one that gets me through most of the time. One bucket of water every 8 hours or so, and off you go. Only 47 watts to run. Loud, but in the garage so who cares.

I forgot about She Who Must Be Obeyed. :D

Way too humid in middle, USA for a swamp cooler. Our humidity is in the 90% range mist of the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of those years we go straight from winter to summer here in Chicago.

It was 86 yesterday. Didn't affect me any I only have one folder at home right now. I was thinking about putting a new machine online at home but maybe that will have to wait a few months.

It wasn't hot here (NJ) until today. I've been dragging my feet on moving my dedicated rig to the basement, on account of its in a V2120 (aka hugenormous), but this is probably the last straw

if u have a buddy with a shop with a huge compres'd air tank like i do its a cake walk and no cold hands from the can :)

Yeah, I don't know anyone with a huge tank of compressed air. However, I don't mind my hands getting cold as I kind of enjoy it. It is probably one of my wierd pleasures I get from life, as I love feeling the can get cold.

I was just hoping that you guys might know of some ancient chinese computer cleaning technique that I didn't know of yet, as simply blowing a system with air doesn't actually clean the system. It just relocates the dust away from the fins and fans to some obscure part of the computer that you don't care whether it gets dusty or not.

I would hate to own a GPU farm like some of you guys do, as you can't simply take a can of air to clean those........

I don'tt understand the "can't turn on AC yet" part. The only thing keeping me.from my AC is a 15 foot walk from my couch.

The problem is that running the a/c can get extremely expensive if you are on a tight budget. As a result, I tend to put off turning the a/c on for as long as possible. Once I step over the threshhold, it gets turned on and programmed to run at 78-80 when i'm not there, and 76 when I am there.

amdgamer, just use a combination of vacuum and compressed air.

put the vacuum near a fan that acts as an intake on your PC. Blow the compressed air in the other direction. So, essentially, you are pushing air in the opposite direction it usually blows, and using the vacuum to soak up the dust.

Works for me.

amdgamer, just use a combination of vacuum and compressed air.

put the vacuum near a fan that acts as an intake on your PC. Blow the compressed air in the other direction. So, essentially, you are pushing air in the opposite direction it usually blows, and using the vacuum to soak up the dust.

Works for me.

I'd be afraid of damaging the video card doing that. My 5850's in the gaming rig are not too dusty, so i'll probably leave those alone for now. This is why I absolutely love those new Galaxy cards, as that flip fan has got to be the best invention i've seen in years for PC hardware.

nah. just go for it. I've been doing that method to all of my hardware for years without issue.

I bought one of those little air compressors. They are less than 50 dollars at Walmart or wherever but they are much cheaper than canned air in the long haul. PLUS they clean MUCH better. When blowing a PSU out with a canned air you don't get any dirt compared to a compressor. Just be careful not to overspeed fans to much. Also be careful not to stick anything in to a fan you are blowing with high pressure air. It might only break the fan but if it is your finger you stick in you might get a nice cut too.

The nozzle and all that get pretty cold over time so you can still have the cold hand thing. Just be warned they are pretty loud. I broke down and bought one about a year ago. I just hate paying for canned air.

A small compressor is what I use. Much better then small cans and you don't have the problem with the dust sticking to the walls. It will pretty much rid the entire system of dust. For those worried about killing the fans, simply stick your finger in it to prevent it from spinning. For power supply fans, use bursts of air so you don't screw up the bearings.

A second tip, use dryer sheets on your vent holes. This blocks the majority of dust, can be replaced while system is running, eliminates static build up, and is a cheap short lived deodorizer for the PC area. You can also typically put them between the fans and case, but this requires a lot more effort.

Edit: And, during the summer, consider running the PC's "naked". I don't know how many times a $10 box fan from Wal-Mart cooled my system better then any other system fan I have used. This also eliminates air flow issues. The last time I did this, I had 4 PC's cooled cheaply with one box fan and it created a wind tunnel effect between rooms reducing my AC costs.

Last edited:
I bought one of those little air compressors. They are less than 50 dollars at Walmart or wherever but they are much cheaper than canned air in the long haul. PLUS they clean MUCH better. When blowing a PSU out with a canned air you don't get any dirt compared to a compressor. Just be careful not to overspeed fans to much. Also be careful not to stick anything in to a fan you are blowing with high pressure air. It might only break the fan but if it is your finger you stick in you might get a nice cut too.

The nozzle and all that get pretty cold over time so you can still have the cold hand thing. Just be warned they are pretty loud. I broke down and bought one about a year ago. I just hate paying for canned air.

Are you talking about those portable air compressors that you use to air up your tires? If so, I have one that I always carry around with me in the car for emergency purposes. It holds a charge via an integrated lead acid battery pack, and cost $40 at Autozone.

I'll have to check out Walmart, but which aisle did you find the compressor in?

It would pay itself off quickly since canned air does get expensive quickly.

Back