Recommend your current "best value" M.2 NVMe drive

harddud

Limp Gawd
I am currently looking to upgrade two (2) systems from SATA SSDs to M.s NVMe drives. I do not need top-of-the-line drives nor the cheapest. I am looking for recommendations for a "best value" drive with a balance of good performance and an affordable/reasonable price. I do not mind going with 512 MB versus 1 TB drives to keep the cost down and because I am buying two. Also, would I even notice much of a difference in speed/load times between a SATA SSD and M.2 NVMe as a boot drive?

Thanks ...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These Crucial P3 and P3 Plus are pretty nice priced at $34 and $41 for 500GB.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-500GB-PCIe-5000MB/dp/B0B25NTRGD
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-500GB-PCIe-NAND-3500MB/dp/B0B25LQQPC

My 2 systems with 980 Pro's boot up in seconds, they haven't been booted with SSD's so I can't comment on normal SSD boot up times vs NVME.
I have no experience with the P3 Plus but I put a P3 500 gig as a boot drive in the media server I built for my son. Reads are just fine on it but I have to warn you that the moment that thing runs out of cache for writes the write speed plummets. It also doesn't take very long to run out of cache either. I don't regret the purchase at all and it's been fine as a boot drive but wanted to put that warning out there about the write speeds.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your best value is to leave it alone.

There are certainly situations where NVMe subjectively beats SATA in real life: moving multi-gigabyte files around, for instance. Boot times might be a second or so faster, maybe. Game loading times for very large games might be a little better. Basically, anything that does sequential reads or writes of more than a gigabyte or so, might be noticeable.

If you're looking for a "wow" improvement, you probably won't get it.

Back