Recommend a drive? - Fast and Quiet

TS28

Limp Gawd
Hey, everyone. Looking to upgrade my OS drive. As of right now, I have a very old 37GB Raptor with 16MB buffer. It is considerably loud, but loads games noticably faster than my 7200.10 320GB Seagate.

Is there in any way an in between? I really do not like having such a loud drive, but it is the fastest one I have. Since I am running out of room anyway, I am planning on buying a new drive. My main concern is speed, but noise is also an issue.

Thanks!

The Samsung F1 series are fast and extremely quiet. The 1000GB model is best. The 750 GB model is significantly cheaper but isn't as fast. I get about 90 MB/s in HDTune at the start of the drive with the 750 GB model and the 1000 GB model is another 20 MB/s faster than that on a good board or with a good controller.

Good warranty and great drives for the price. If you are used to a Raptor you'll be looking inside your case at first to see if the Sammy is actually working. :)

Right now I am using a A WD360DG-00FNA0 (37GB Raptor) as my OS drive. Will I notice a performance increase by moving to a wd6400aaks?

Would you guys recommend the AAKS drives over the 7200.11's from Seagate?

Hey all,

I don't mean to hijack your recommendation thread but I find myself in a similar situation.
I'm using a 74GB Raptor and was thinking of upgrading to the new Velociraptor and perhaps 1 or 2 TB Drives. I don't neccessarily need the space or the performance, but I would like these upgrades to last me a few years if at all possible.

So my questions are the following:
1) Would I see an overall system performance increase going from 74GB Raptor to the Velociraptor? I don't quite understand how to read the data generated from HDTune that people use to compare different drives. I'm just wondering how the technology has changed in the past few years.

2) Is there a consensus of which 1TB Drives are good quality? With the exception of the Raptor, my other drives have been noname brands until I started reading [H] a few months ago, and I'm not really certain on the track records of the different companies that offer 1TB drives.

3) What makes the WD6400AAKS particularly good? It seems to come highly recommended, but I don't know why.

Hey all,

I don't mean to hijack your recommendation thread but I find myself in a similar situation.
I'm using a 74GB Raptor and was thinking of upgrading to the new Velociraptor and perhaps 1 or 2 TB Drives. I don't neccessarily need the space or the performance, but I would like these upgrades to last me a few years if at all possible.

So my questions are the following:
1) Would I see an overall system performance increase going from 74GB Raptor to the Velociraptor? I don't quite understand how to read the data generated from HDTune that people use to compare different drives. I'm just wondering how the technology has changed in the past few years.

2) Is there a consensus of which 1TB Drives are good quality? With the exception of the Raptor, my other drives have been noname brands until I started reading [H] a few months ago, and I'm not really certain on the track records of the different companies that offer 1TB drives.

3) What makes the WD6400AAKS particularly good? It seems to come highly recommended, but I don't know why.

You might want to wait for the GLFS Raptors. They seem to be a mega fuckton faster than the Velociraptors, although it may take them a little time to come out.

HDTune simply generates sequential read/write speeds in MB/s, a very simple benchmark. You simply read the number of MB/s and the higher one is more advantageous when it comes to sequential read/writes.

WD6400AAKS is good because it's at the quiet end of the noise charts, the power-saving end of the power consumption charts, almost always near the top in the performance charts, and it just delivers. WD makes good desktop drives that deliver, that's all.

1) Faster load times for sure. But you won't see a increase in FPS for games.

2) The general consensus is that Seagate 1TB drives are good quality, WD 1TB drives are also great but don't use them in RAID arrays or looking for performance, and Samsung drives are to be avoided when using Areca RAID cards. So in other words, just get the cheapest 1TB drive you can find if it's just for storage only.

3) It uses a new two 320GB platter design and a bunch of other improvements that actually allows it to outperform older Raptor drives like the one you have now. It also performs on par with the Velociraptor. Yes the Velociraptor costs about 3.4x the cost of the WD6400AAKs. But it does not offer 3.4x the performance.

Since you can find the AAKS for $85 these days, I recommend getting that drive instead.

WD6400AAKS

Amazing drive. inaudible and runs cool and it's pretty cheap. Oh and hella fast too.

Are there different versions of the WD6400AAKS like 2 vs. 3 platters or are they all the same?

no there is only 1 version of wd6400aaks, it's a brand new drive.

Back