Real Twelve Foot Tall Mech?

FAKE AND GAY!! :D Im sure its real, Basic robotics is fairly easy, Now getting it to walk or do anything perice is the real ticket.

There was terrible lag between the imputs to the shitty phone and the actual thing moving. Why the hell did they do that crap wirelessly with some junky low end hardware instead of hardwiring or using a decent wireless remote? :confused:

I've been told it's real, but it can't do that much, and doesn't have the strength to carry armor or any heavy weapons, let alone both. It also requires being hooked to a heavy duty generator or a live power input. So, it's pretty useless as a machine of war. Still looks cool, though.

I heard it was powered by Alien technology and it's being devolped to fight 'Angels'....

I've been told it's real, but it can't do that much, and doesn't have the strength to carry armor or any heavy weapons, let alone both. It also requires being hooked to a heavy duty generator or a live power input. So, it's pretty useless as a machine of war. Still looks cool, though.

would still make a pretty epic centerpiece to do bullshit things like pass out drinks or give handjobs with the proper attachments.

the possibilities are endless.

Yeah, based on all the huge power cables coming off the back you can tell it doesn't have its own on-board power source.

Yeah, based on all the huge power cables coming off the back you can tell it doesn't have its own on-board power source.

Yup, expect the militaries of the world to stock up on extension cords. (cornering the market now.... :D )

Sadly, we're still in the absolute infancy of robotics. The video today is no better than a similar video I watched a decade ago.

The biggest issue we have is power. We simply don't have the battery / generator technology to power a mobile...anything past what we have today. Processors are hitting their atomic limits on silicon, power usage is simply not going to drop much more. More importantly, mechanical parts still rely on a vastly higher power usage, that has no real way of being reduced, "work" costs energy, it's physics 101. So the solution? More energy to use! But generators, even on new fuels, aren't producing significantly more energy. And batteries? We are improving, but even 2x the capacity of now won't be enough. We need 10x what we have now.

Until we beat the energy issue, "future" tech will be stunted.

Yea, if I was a Japanese robotics engineer I would devote my life to making real life Gundams too. Give it some time; war will be all about Gundams and Metal Gears. lol :D

Sadly, we're still in the absolute infancy of robotics. The video today is no better than a similar video I watched a decade ago.

The biggest issue we have is power. We simply don't have the battery / generator technology to power a mobile...anything past what we have today. Processors are hitting their atomic limits on silicon, power usage is simply not going to drop much more. More importantly, mechanical parts still rely on a vastly higher power usage, that has no real way of being reduced, "work" costs energy, it's physics 101. So the solution? More energy to use! But generators, even on new fuels, aren't producing significantly more energy. And batteries? We are improving, but even 2x the capacity of now won't be enough. We need 10x what we have now.

Almost went into robotics. Always wondered what was holding it back. Beyond simple biotech machines and auto assembly robots, I am surprised to see so few practical implementations of it after so long.

METAL GEAR.

Solid-Snake-vs-Metal-Gear-REX.jpg

Difference is if that thing was built in the good ol' USA they'd put like a 50cal on the arm that works rather than a piece of pipe :D

There was terrible lag between the imputs to the shitty phone and the actual thing moving. Why the hell did they do that crap wirelessly with some junky low end hardware instead of hardwiring or using a decent wireless remote? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. Sure the phone is "cool" but gah! the lag and response time was horrid. If I'm gonna be piloting a mech around, I want my controls hardwired damnit! The engineering is more solid and reliable.

Fake. When the guy pulls the lever near the start he's supposed to be looking up at the robot, but he's looking WAY too high. Conclusion: there is no robot.

man for a sec I thought it it said cl!ts.

damn........I need to get laid tonight.

I heard it was powered by Alien technology and it's being devolped to fight 'Angels'....

Only reference i can recall are more like uber huge biological weapons than mechs. How often does your mechanic change a faulty valve and end up covered in blood?

Maybe I'm just robot ignorant, but being what pretty much everyone perceives as a military bot (no need for a lot of finesse), why not just chuck some diesel power in it with hydrostatic drives and actuators. It already is clunky so what gives. Hydraulics wouldn't work very well for the legs or it would be sllloooww and bumbling, but.. Hydrostatic, wheels/tracks, whatever! It'd be a bulldozer with guns. Handy for zombies, or pulling your friends tractor out of the mud.

Would be great as a PC simulator. You sit in it and play mech games. Then when you hear your Mom calling you for dinner, you just jump out. Go for it Steve :D

Maybe I'm just robot ignorant, but being what pretty much everyone perceives as a military bot (no need for a lot of finesse), why not just chuck some diesel power in it with hydrostatic drives and actuators. It already is clunky so what gives. Hydraulics wouldn't work very well for the legs or it would be sllloooww and bumbling, but.. Hydrostatic, wheels/tracks, whatever! It'd be a bulldozer with guns. Handy for zombies, or pulling your friends tractor out of the mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkf4VQx2MHE&t=1m13s

Old movie, what's the equivalent these days?

Polonium-210, perfect for all of your high-energy military needs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator#210Po

A half-life of 138 days, alpha radiation so it's easy to shield, and it puts out 140KW per kg of material. :) Lightweight, high power, no minimum size, other than what you need to convert heat into useful work.

(Note: adequate cooling required at all times, or it will produce enough heat to self-liquify, and then self-vaporize. And being a radioactive material, there is no off switch.)

What a waste of time and resources. This thing is a hunk of scrap metal...

Looks like this is the ideal piece of equipment for fighting against the upcoming sloth invasion.

You mean like this:
498px-T1_TerminatorSalvation.jpg

Put one of those out in front of a car dealership instead of a stupid gorilla, and I'll stop on by. Seems harmlessly slow, but maybe that convey's it's true horror movie potential?

Back