RE: "Am I too hot?" threads.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Where did the 7 go? :p

Before you get a heatsink, check to make sure it uses a retention system that is compatable with your mainboard. I bought a $40 hsf that wouldn't fit on my FIC AU13 because it did not have the mounting holes.

heh, there's so much "knowledge" that I tend to take for granted without realising that not everyone knows about everything already. ;) :p

Good luck with the cooler

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
heh, there's so much "knowledge" that I tend to take for granted without realising that not everyone knows about everything already. ;) :p

Good luck with the cooler

That's true. Lucky me, I tend to run into the people severly lacking in knowledge IRL.

Lucky me, I upgraded to an Epox 8RDA3+ wich the holes, so it's all good. ;)

Originally posted by defcom_1
I can't control when the thermal protection kicks in on the P4, or when the AMD's melt. :)

all MB w/ Pheonix and AMI bios, you can control the thermal protection temp(at least MB's from past few years) from what i've seen. i've never been able to reach those temps even oc'd to 3.3 on my p4 2.4c. my guess is thats more if u are having a fan failure.

Originally posted by frag85
all MB w/ Pheonix and AMI bios, you can control the thermal protection temp(at least MB's from past few years) from what i've seen. i've never been able to reach those temps even oc'd to 3.3 on my p4 2.4c. my guess is thats more if u are having a fan failure.

Yeppers, or like in that one THG video when they took the HSF's off the cpu's.....good stuff. :D

another common problem i've seen croping up is that noobies seem to think they can get below ambient on air cooling.... this is not possible... i know why... but i cant explain it so well... could someone please explain to them WHY it isnt possible...

thore

Originally posted by thore
another common problem i've seen croping up is that noobies seem to think they can get below ambient on air cooling.... this is not possible... i know why... but i cant explain it so well... could someone please explain to them WHY it isnt possible...

thore

I hope this isn't being directed at me for any reason, I never said my CPU temp was below room temp. The only way I got my 2.6C down to 19C (idle) was with a (surprisingly comfortable) room temperature or 15C.

I agree that all these new guys have to be set straight in one way shape or form.....but there has to be a better way to do it other then just forcing facts on them. I know that I wouldn't like being "taught" like that anyways. ;)

I hope this isn't being directed at me for any reason, I never said my CPU temp was below room temp. The only way I got my 2.6C down to 19C (idle) was with a (surprisingly comfortable) room temperature or 15C.

I agree that all these new guys have to be set straight in one way shape or form.....but there has to be a better way to do it other then just forcing facts on them. I know that I wouldn't like being "taught" like that anyways. ;)

nope nope... not aimed at you at all... it was a comment in general... and your post proves my point... you had a 15° room and 19° temps... they werent below ambient, if its -30° in your room and you have a good cooler it is possible to get -20° temps.... but you will never get below ambient... my gripe is with the newer people on the forums that are getting incorrect readings and trying to say that they are getting below ambient temps on air cooling ... it may be reading as such, but i know for a fact that is isnt there ambient air (case) sensor must be sitting right next to a mosfet and reading higher temps because of it (that and the fact that thay are useing asus probe to get there readings... i dont know what it is with that program but it just dosent work correctly) /end rant

Originally posted by thore
nope nope... not aimed at you at all... it was a comment in general... and your post proves my point... you had a 15° room and 19° temps... they werent below ambient, if its -30° in your room and you have a good cooler it is possible to get -20° temps.... but you will never get below ambient... my gripe is with the newer people on the forums that are getting incorrect readings and trying to say that they are getting below ambient temps on air cooling ... it may be reading as such, but i know for a fact that is isnt there ambient air (case) sensor must be sitting right next to a mosfet and reading higher temps because of it (that and the fact that thay are useing asus probe to get there readings... i dont know what it is with that program but it just dosent work correctly) /end rant

One of the many reasons I'll never get an Asus. :rolleyes:

I don't know... I'm getting limited in Mobo choices. My 8RDA3+'s onboard sound really is glitchy. I don't know why I've never been able to find a board with good onboard sound. The FIC's onboard sound sucks too... I mean, the quality is there, it just gets jittery when gaming, gets fuzzy while installing games, or pauses during other games.

Cooling is a mixed bag. If some n00b is being stupid and getting incorrect readings, let him up his OC until he loses a chip. Quick easy way to learn not to trust the temp monitor. ;)

If some n00b is being stupid and getting incorrect readings, let him up his OC until he loses a chip. Quick easy way to learn not to trust the temp monitor. ;)

For sure, let 'em learn the hard way..........fair enough. I can understand where people are coming from though, 'cus I remember what I was like when I got started into this stuff.

I mean, it's just common sense that you can't cool a peice of hardware below your room temperature by BLOWING that room temperature air onto it. :rolleyes:

Ok, I got a new 2500+ Barton. I have a Vantec Aeroflow and Thermaltake PurePower 420W. Lots of fans and stuff. I have Kingston hyperx 3200 512 dual channel kit (2x256) 400mhz. My motherboard is a soltek 75frn2-l. The soltek manual does not contain optimal fsb and multiplier settings to just get the processor to 1.83Ghz (2500+) normal speed. My ram is running in dual channel mode at 200mhz. I did some guessing work and set the fsb to 166 and I got the right speed. But the cpu was reading 83-85. At 85C my computer would restart. Right now I have my system running as a 1900+(1.47Ghz). The clock multiplier in cmos is set to default. The fsb is at 133Mhz. It gets to be about 70C when I'm playing games. I don't think it should be this hot when it's underclocked. I remember when I put the thermal paste on the cpu that I put quite a bit of it. Would the amount of paste being used make a big difference? Exactly how thick should the paste be? as thick as the amount on the stock AMD cooler? I'm extremely frustrated because the manuals don't really specify how much paste to use or a table of cmos settings for different cpus. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Originally posted by GhostBusters84
My room temp is at 24C...

There has to be somethign wrong here, I wasn't even getting temps that bad when I had my old Volcano 7 on my 1800+ with NO thermal compound.

This might be a stupid question but I can't quite remember.....did the Aeroflow come with a plastic "coating" over the copper core that you're sposed to remove??? I used to have an aeroflow but I can't remember if it had that layer of plastic or not.

The only other thing I can think of is if part of the core isn't being covered due to the Aeroflow being put on backwards.

Just a few thoughts. I know they're all very blunt problems but hey.....there isnt' a whole lot more that I can think of that might be cause temps to skyrocket THAT much.

Let me know.

Ok, I took out my CPU and cleaned it off with 99% rubbing alcohol. I got myself some arctic silver 5 thermal compound as well. The old thermal compound for some reason did not make contact as well as I had hoped it would. I think I may have put too little on. Anyways, now I have everything back together. My comp runs comfortably as a 2500+ at 30C and as a 3200+ at 40C.
I made a mess in my pants. This is my first OC you see. Thank you for your suggestions.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Stop it! Stop it! He's already dead!"
-The Simpsons

I'm glad to hear that everything's fine NOW but it's still funny to see how much can still go wrong nowadays. :p

That's quite a huge drop in the temps.....you must have put one huge mound of compound on the cpu if the cooler was actually on correctly. Too much compoud WILL make temps worse you know, you only need a tiny little dab of it, especially on AthlonXP processors, with those tiny cores they've got. ;)

I'm glad to hear that everything's fine NOW but it's still funny to see how much can still go wrong nowadays. :p

That's quite a huge drop in the temps.....you must have put one huge mound of compound on the cpu if the cooler was actually on correctly. Too much compoud WILL make temps worse you know, you only need a tiny little dab of it, especially on AthlonXP processors, with those tiny cores they've got. ;)

Please do not apply this thinking to Chipset or GPUs... Most chipset or GPUs are concave, so you will have a little gap in the center. I made this mistake with my 8RDA3+.

Please do not apply this thinking to Chipset or GPUs... Most chipset or GPUs are concave, so you will have a little gap in the center. I made this mistake with my 8RDA3+.

I'm fully aware of the issues that a lot of GPU's and chipsets have today.....and I never said it would apply to EVERYTHING.

Thx for making the point though. :)

I'm fully aware of the issues that a lot of GPU's and chipsets have today.....and I never said it would apply to EVERYTHING.

Thx for making the point though. :)

Of course. It wasn't meant to be a thread crap, I just almost lost my main mainboard because of this a day or two ago.

Of course. It wasn't meant to be a thread crap

No hard feelings dude, I wasn't lashing back or anything. Just glad that we're both clear on what's going on. ;)

No hard feelings dude, I wasn't lashing back or anything. Just glad that we're both clear on what's going on. ;)

Good good.

Since I've derailed the thread to Chipsets, does the actual chipset effect onboard sound on NForce2 boards? Or is the onboard sound controlled by a chip elsewhere on the board? My onboard sound was really crappy, I'm curious if it was due to overheating NB.

Good good.

Since I've derailed the thread to Chipsets, does the actual chipset effect onboard sound on NForce2 boards? Or is the onboard sound controlled by a chip elsewhere on the board? My onboard sound was really crappy, I'm curious if it was due to overheating NB.

yeas and no... depens on what series board you have the nf2 333 fsb board have it built into the north bridge where as the ultra 400's use a realtec secondary chip (most common, depending on the board you have) on my 333 board water cooling the north bridge resulted in less bus noise form the harddrives showing up on the anologue out's (but i ran into tempory space restrictions and am not running w/c on the nb as of now but will again here soon) thought this may have been coinsedental as the copper acts like a rf shield as well... :rolleyes: all i know is it helped that.

general rual of thumb i use if it feels to warm and you can upgrade the cooling.. go for it... there nothing to loose by upgradeing cooling...

thore

I've been wanting watercooling. It would be nice to have a cool GPU, NB, and CPU, but I don't have the cash right now. :(

heh.. the only athlon in the house, the one i built, goes up to 45 under load, and 38 idle. i'm not worried about it. course.. .the board is so old that if the fan stops, it wont shut down, it'll burn up.

damn POS ecs K7S5A...

Originally posted by Walleye
heh.. the only athlon in the house, the one i built, goes up to 45 under load, and 38 idle. i'm not worried about it. course.. .the board is so old that if the fan stops, it wont shut down, it'll burn up.

damn POS ecs K7S5A...

Heh, my old K7S5A is still working just fine in my parents computer.

Your temps are nothing to be ashamed of but yes, it IS nice to have some kind of safe gaurd system to be able to fall back on, just in case.

Heh, my old K7S5A is still working just fine in my parents computer.

Your temps are nothing to be ashamed of but yes, it IS nice to have some kind of safe gaurd system to be able to fall back on, just in case.

Sorta like my 2500+ at 2.35 ghz... Full load is 49c. I don't know what idle is... Oh, and my AS3 hasn't 'broken in' yet. ;)

Speaking of temps, I need to check my 1900+'s temps.

Sorta like my 2500+ at 2.35 ghz... Full load is 49c. I don't know what idle is... Oh, and my AS3 hasn't 'broken in' yet. ;)

Speaking of temps, I need to check my 1900+'s temps.

Personally, I'd be trying to get that load temp down (just me personally, nothing wrong with it) but I'd still be satisfied with it. Even though AMD and Intel both have certain thermal specs and limits for their CPU's listed, a lot of us tend to set our own guidelines on what we actually deem acceptable. Some people are much more easily satisfied then others, which is why we get so much debate and argument over what is ACTUALLY too hot.

I basically OC the hell out of my CPU, and I keep pushin' until the load temps hit 50C.....that's MY personal barrier.

I run folding, so this is pertinant to me and other people as well. I started worrying when my Pally started running at 55c. I REALLY started freaking out earlier this evening when it hit 60c. I do not know why it is running this hot, either. On the same motherboard, with the same HSF, my Barton 2500+ OCed to 2.2ghz ran cooler. o_O;;;
I baked a xp1700 folding:( Havent started back up on the new rig. I'm not home enuf to kep an eye on it (maybe 2 days a week)

Originally posted by Kendrak
I baked a xp1700 folding:( Havent started back up on the new rig. I'm not home enuf to kep an eye on it (maybe 2 days a week)

So does that mean you're one more unfortunate soul with no kind of thermal protection on your mobo/comp???

Personally, I'd be trying to get that load temp down (just me personally, nothing wrong with it) but I'd still be satisfied with it. Even though AMD and Intel both have certain thermal specs and limits for their CPU's listed, a lot of us tend to set our own guidelines on what we actually deem acceptable. Some people are much more easily satisfied then others, which is why we get so much debate and argument over what is ACTUALLY too hot.

I basically OC the hell out of my CPU, and I keep pushin' until the load temps hit 50C.....that's MY personal barrier.

Yeah... I'd try to get it lower, but that would require no case side... My internal air circulation is about as good as it gets...

Yeah... I'd try to get it lower, but that would require no case side... My internal air circulation is about as good as it gets...

ah, fair enough. :cool:

ah, fair enough. :cool:

I also forgot to add that the ambient temps are in the low 30's for this room... There happen to be 5 other computers running in here... ;)

True that. If it's the first time you're working with a particular chip, take the extra time to apply the TIM and heatsink twice. The first time, put it on, clamp it down and pull it right back off. Turn it over and check the contact. If there are minor gaps, those can be corrected with slightly more TIM. If there are big gaps, you need to either make the heatsink or the core flatter, preferably the heatsink.

Originally posted by llsardonicll
Everything always says my cpu/mb temps are 127c :rolleyes:

What different apps are included in "everything"???

I know that MBM has certain sensors available that do report over 100C for readings.....are you sure that you just don't have it set wrong? What other monitoring programs have you tried? Have you tried changing settings and/or re-assigning sensors and things to see if the app is just using the wrong one???

So does that mean you're one more unfortunate soul with no kind of thermal protection on your mobo/comp???
It was there, but the tolorence was too high on the mobo. It sat for a long time at a slightly high temp, I wasn't to worried. Then the A/C wasn't on for a day. That killed it I'm sure.
just under 78 deg (mobo lowest setting) for more than 24hr, BAD, very BAD.

I have a slug of copper so big on my current proc that i think it could survive even the fan going out on it (for a short time).

Originally posted by Kendrak
It was there, but the tolorence was too high on the mobo. It sat for a long time at a slightly high temp, I wasn't to worried. Then the A/C wasn't on for a day. That killed it I'm sure.
just under 78 deg (mobo lowest setting) for more than 24hr, BAD, very BAD.

I have a slug of copper so big on my current proc that i think it could survive even the fan going out on it (for a short time).

Heh, good stuff. :D

Originally posted by Mav
True that. If it's the first time you're working with a particular chip, take the extra time to apply the TIM and heatsink twice. The first time, put it on, clamp it down and pull it right back off. Turn it over and check the contact. If there are minor gaps, those can be corrected with slightly more TIM. If there are big gaps, you need to either make the heatsink or the core flatter, preferably the heatsink.

I have a buffing bit, buffing compound, and now lots of time. I'll work on the heatsink... ;)

Slugs of copper sounds good... I have an old aluminum heatsink on my 1900+ that is just hot as hell, but the actual CPU runs cool. I have 2 fans on that one, with plans on putting a fan with some distance between it and the CPU. This is another F@H machine, of course. ;)

Back