Razr = retarded phone?

I got a razr v3m because it was the best phone my cheapo service provided. As far as I can tell it lacks two very basic features:

No ring+vibrate setting. There is some strange vibrate THEN ring setting. Why not both?

No way to use custom ring tones as ringer ID (specific tone for when a saved contact calls).

I tried modmymoto to find out how to get this phone up to at least a basic level of functionality but was only successful in learning how to use a prog called P2K commander to transfer ringtones.

I don't have a microSD card. If I understand correctly, if I did have a microSD card, I could connect my phone to my comp through USB and I would be able to transfer ringtones to it, as it would show up on my comp as a removeable device? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

If anyone knows of any type of hack or mod that I can do to get me my money's worth I would really appreciate it

I don't have a microSD card. If I understand correctly, if I did have a microSD card, I could connect my phone to my comp through USB and I would be able to transfer ringtones to it, as it would show up on my comp as a removeable device? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

My son has a Razor V3A and to transfer stuff to and from it, I use Motorola Phone Tools. Phone tools costs money, but it allows you to edit your contacts and import them from Outlook along with transfer files, etc.

Another easier way (and free) is for me to put the music, ringtone, ect on my PPC Phone and then send it to him via bluetooth.

Another thing you will learn to hate is the fact that you can change the volume of the thing while it is in your pocket. I would keep my old razr on vibrate then ring but would keep hitting it to silent. Then when I was in class or something and wanted it set to silent and it would get hit to loud. Would piss me off to no end. Phone overall sucked(I didn't have a 3rd gen). Got a blackberry pearl as the replacement and have been very happy with it as a phone(have a full sized blackberry for email).

My Razr V3 has a Vibe+Ring option, and I can set a ring tone for each person. Whatever carrier you got your phone from screwed you...

I've had mine for a little over two years with no problems, and definitely not the one that swatbat described. I can see how it would happen, but I've never experienced it.

My Razr V3 has a Vibe+Ring option, and I can set a ring tone for each person. Whatever carrier you got your phone from screwed you...

I've had mine for a little over two years with no problems, and definitely not the one that swatbat described. I can see how it would happen, but I've never experienced it.

Consider yourself lucky. I would keep mine in my front pocket with a lighter, usb drive, change and a pen. It seemed like I'd change a setting at least a few times a month. Drove me nuts.

It's pocket communications, a small carrier who I think is only in south Texas. Why would it matter what carrier I'm with? Shouldn't the features be built into the phone itself?

Besides hacking the firmware, using specialized programs, or simply transferring from another phone via Bluetooth... You could always get a small microSD->SD or SD->USB adapter and simply access the card on your PC, add ringtones as desired, then pop it back on the phone. Granted, that may or may not work depending on your carrier and the firmware they install on the phone.

MicroSD cards and the adapters are so cheap, no reason not to have one, can always use it as a thumbdrive if nothing else... Take a look at this one, 2GB + adapter for $9 and free shipping. I think I bought a damn near identical one (different color) that was branded PNY for $15 when CompUSA was closing doors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134545

Since then I bought another similar adapter so that I could use my Sony phone's M2 cards, but the nice part is it takes both microSD and M2 cards (and it's a tiny smidge larger, which frankly makes it easier to plug into the back of a system, etc.). Still small enough to keep on a keychain.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Mobil...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221515057&sr=8-1

My mom's cheap Motorola phone seems to do that strange vibrate-then-ring crap tho, drives me batty when I'm with her... 'Cuz her hearing's not the greatest, so she often doesn't even hear it on the first ring, meanwhile I've been hearing it go off since it started vibrating, then on the first ring, etc. It's pretty old/cheap though, and from Verizon which is notorious for their crap firmwares.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's pocket communications, a small carrier who I think is only in south Texas. Why would it matter what carrier I'm with? Shouldn't the features be built into the phone itself?

Phones are sold with wildly varying firmwares depending on the carrier, some barely alter the basic functionality of the phone, others nearly make them into an entirely different phone. Common alterations include restrictions so that you can't use a file larger than 0.5MB or 30s as a ringtone (or in some cases, so that you can't use your own ringtone files at all), changing the IM clients so they're proprietary Java apps (which in some cases actually charge you on a text msg rate per each IM rather than a data transfer rate), etc.

But if I put the microSD card in the phone and plug the phone into the comp does it show up on the comp as a removeable device?

edit: also I tried motorola phone tools, but could never get it to work, I guess since I am not with verizon or whoever is considered the "legitimate" provider with whom a razr is supposed to be used

If you're putting a microSD card into the phone to add ringtones or keep photos, just plug the card directly into your computer rather than try to access it thru the phone while having it connected to the computer. See the adapter I linked above for instance. It'll be faster and more hassle-free usually. Only reason to connect the phone to the computer is if you wanted to copy/sync contacts with Outlook or some other program, or if you wanted to sync calendars/to-do.

The Razr is not "supposed to be used" with any one carrier btw, unless your carrier is doing some shady re-buying of Razr's intended to be used with another carrier and then messing with the existing firmware rather than doing their own or leaving it open... If whatever you were using wouldn't work, then it's because of the firmware that your own carrier added or modified I'd think.

You wouldn't think it, but the Razr from Verizon is actually physically different from the AT&T version. Phones from different carriers, while the same model, can be drastically different.

You wouldn't think it, but the Razr from Verizon is actually physically different from the AT&T version. Phones from different carriers, while the same model, can be drastically different.
They would have to be. They use different transmitters.

ATT = GSM
Verizon = CDMA

Wait till the battery dies, you won't make it half way through the day before your battery is dead.

Back