Razer Unveils World's First Mecha-Membrane Keyboard Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
Razer™, a world leader in connected devices and software for gamers, today announced the Razer Ornata, a line of gaming keyboards featuring revolutionary Razer Mecha-Membrane™ technology. Designed to combine the most desirable traits of membrane rubber dome design with the merits of mechanical keyboard technology, the Razer Mecha-Membrane delivers both a soft, cushioned touch and a crisp, tactile click with each keystroke. Traditionally, users choose membrane rubber dome keyboards for comfort, while mechanical switches are favored for fast actuations and distinct tactile feedback. The Razer Mecha-Membrane is a unique mid-height keycap hybrid that provides a comfortable and efficient typing experience unlike any key type on the market.

It competes with mech keyboards that have rubber rings fitted, they are pretty ace.
Longevity of the new keys will need to be proven, its gonna be a long slog.
My Ripjaws RGB will probably last 10+ years so I cant help unless the RGBs fail, soz.
Good to have new stuff on the market though.

Sounds interesting. I will have to check out their info page.

But at the moment, to me, there is nothing better on the planet than the new Logitech 910 Spectrum. It's as if my fingers are making love to my keyboard with each word and sentence.

It feels to me exactly like the old G15 which is a legendary keyboard but better.

I really wish Unicomp would either license or contract with another company (or find it themselves) to use buckling spring technology in a new more modern industrial design, with things like nkro and maybe even backlit keys.

I'd stand in line to buy this.

I've tried many of the other mechanical keyboard designs including alps, Cherry and Scissor switches, and they just aren't the same. Nothing beats buckling spring. Nothing.

lol, it's just a membrane keyboard that makes "click" noises. This is even dumber than Ford using the stereo to make fake aggressive sounding engine noises.

Razer™, a world leader in connected devices and software for gamers, today announced the Razer Ornata, a line of gaming keyboards featuring revolutionary Razer Mecha-Membrane™ technology. Designed to combine the most desirable traits of membrane rubber dome design with the merits of mechanical keyboard technology, the Razer Mecha-Membrane delivers both a soft, cushioned touch and a crisp, tactile click with each keystroke. Traditionally, users choose membrane rubber dome keyboards for comfort, while mechanical switches are favored for fast actuations and distinct tactile feedback. The Razer Mecha-Membrane is a unique mid-height keycap hybrid that provides a comfortable and efficient typing experience unlike any key type on the market.

Isn't that what a Cherry MX Brown switch already is? Shoot the newer Cherry MX-Silent is cushioned and quite too.

Contrary to their press release....users DO NOT choose membrane keyboards for comfort. They choose them because they're dirt cheap and don't know better. Apparently Razer is of the opinion that all their readers are idiots.

$100USD for a f'ing membrane crap keyboard. Suckers born every minute.

Not sure if it's "World's First" if the mechanism is as described in this video.

So it's a membrane keyboard that clicks and has "mecha" in the name so ignorant consumers think it's the same as a mechanical keyboard, I can guess how that decision came about.

Razer Exec 1: Mechanical keyboards are hot right now but the switches are expensive, how can we leverage the popularity without the extra manufacturing cost?
RE2: How about if we make a membrane keyboard with keys that click like a tactile feedback mechanical?
RE1: Great idea, we can use some variation of the word mechanical to confuse even more people. Have R&D work on a cheap way to make the keys click and marketing work on a way to spin this as better than a mech kb.

Mechanical-like tactile feeling for the masses?? Nice of Razer to muddy the waters with this product line. In the end you usually get what you pay for.

Contrary to their press release....users DO NOT choose membrane keyboards for comfort. They choose them because they're dirt cheap and don't know better.

Your comments seem to imply that only dumb users use membrane keyboards, that's definitely not true. In most cases, particularly people that spend a lot of time at a computer, it comes down to personal preference with time spent using a it, it really has nothing to do with any other factor. I consider myself an experienced gamer and I am also a professional developer. I choose membrane keyboard for two reasons: 1) They are generally quieter 2) I prefer the shorter key press and feel of a membrane keyboard (i.e. comfort), granted I am generally not buying 15 dollar membrane keyboards for either purpose.

I do however use low profile logitech wireless keyboards for work so I can slip them into my backpack when I go to a new client. The K360, for example, is a 30 dollar wireless membrane keyboard that has served me well for years. I have absolutely no problems coding with this keyboard, I do have issues coding with the razer deathstalker ultimate that I got as a gift that otherwise works great for gaming and looks damn cool on my desk at home. It has a weird key placement and left offset that throws me off at times, but I would still take this over any mechanical keyboard for development. I've used many high end boards with Cherry MX switches and all that... I DO know better.

Hell, my mother is an accountant and has gone through several keyboards due to the feel of the keys. She prefers mechanical keys for 10-key due to the audible click while she is staring at a ledger and keying shit in without looking, but she prefers a membrane for other types of work. She is not an advanced user by any means, but probably spends almost as much time on a computer as I do. So by your logic, she has no preference and doesn't know any better?

Last edited:
Isn't that what a Cherry MX Brown switch already is? Shoot the newer Cherry MX-Silent is cushioned and quite too.

Contrary to their press release....users DO NOT choose membrane keyboards for comfort. They choose them because they're dirt cheap and don't know better. Apparently Razer is of the opinion that all their readers are idiots.

$100USD for a f'ing membrane crap keyboard. Suckers born every minute.

Some of us prefer the short distance membrane keyboard's faster click time over mechanical keyboards. I hate typing or gaming on those high keys mechanical keyboards.
They do sure last longer though

Your comments seem to imply that only dumb users use membrane keyboards, that's definitely not true. In most cases, particularly people that spend a lot of time at a computer, it comes down to personal preference with time spent using a it, it really has nothing to do with any other factor. I consider myself an experienced gamer and I am also a professional developer. I choose membrane keyboard for two reasons: 1) They are generally MUCH quieter 2) I prefer the shorter key press and feel of a membrane keyboard (i.e. comfort), granted I am generally not buying 15 dollar membrane keyboards for either purpose.

I do however use low profile logitech wireless keyboards for work so I can slip them into my backpack when I go to a new client. The K360, for example, is a 30 dollar wireless membrane keyboard that has served me well for years. I have absolutely no problems coding with this keyboard, I do have issues coding with the razer deathstalker ultimate that I got as a gift that otherwise works great for gaming and looks damn cool on my desk at home. It has a weird key placement and left offset that throws me off at times, but I would still take this over any mechanical keyboard for development. I've used many high end boards with Cherry MX switches and all that... I DO know better.

Hell, my mother is an accountant and has gone through several keyboards due to the feel of the keys. She prefers mechanical keys for 10-key due to the audible click while she is staring at a ledger and keying shit in without looking, but she prefers a membrane for other types of work. She is not an advanced user by any means, but probably spends almost as much time on a computer as I do. So by your logic, she has no preference and doesn't know any better?

You are probably the first person I have spoken to who is both familiar with the distinction between mechanical and membrane keyboards, and prefers the feel of the latter.

I certainly understand the noise issue can be a concern, but there are many different mechanical key switch designs, including ones with a quiet progressive action and rubber dampers if you don't like the bottoming out feel and noise. I suspect you maybe just haven't tried the full variety of switches out there. You'd probably be very happy with one of the lighter, non-click Cherry MX varieties, with rubber bushings preventing bottom-out.

I have never used a membrane keyboard at any price point that was not squishy and imprecise. There really is a mechanical keyboard that suits everyone's comfort preferences, while providing more precise typing.

The only objective downsides I can think of are price and size. It's tough to fit a mechanical keyboard in today's modern thin laptops :p

Personally I tend to prefer heavy, highly tactile mechanical switches, like those in IBM-style Buckling Spring keyboards. Nothing is as delicious to type on. I could type all day on those without issue, but I feel like I am stumbling all over myself on membrane keyboards.

When I used to have an office at work, I would bring my old IBM keyboard in, so I could use it at work, now that I sit in an open office environment, I'm to worried about bothering others. I'm constantly frustrated with the membrane keyboards though. I've considered picking up a quiet mechanical keyboard just for work, but I've balked at the price an little. I've had other priorities for my limited money than buying a special keyboard to bring to work. :p

I like my Logitech G810 because I can close my eyes and transport myself back to 1990 when I was banging away on AS/400 terminals.

I like my Logitech G810 because I can close my eyes and transport myself back to 1990 when I was banging away on AS/400 terminals.

I just looked that one up. I'm not familiar with Romer-G switches at all. (my knowledge is most limited to Cherry MX varieties, ALPS Varieties and - of course - Buckling Spring) How would you describe the feel compared to other switches currently on the market?

I have to admit, that nostalgia is part of the appeal of my Buckling spring keyboards to me. My first 286 came with one. I mean, the tactile preciseness and general keyboard feel is more important. My typo count goes way way down with the IBM Model M's and I can actually touch type on them, which I really can't on any other keyboard. But, yes, nostalgia plays a role too.

I wish I could find the few spare O rings I had left after fitting up my MX brown KM780 RGB.
I'd like to test what effect fitting dual O rings will have.
It will either give an even shorter switch throw with much muted key press noise and a softer landing, or it will not allow the switch to depress enough to register a key press.
I really like it with single O rings, this might be even better.

For the hell of it I've ordered a second set of silicon O rings to test, they are so cheap.
If anyones got experience of doing this, I'm interested to know what you found.

I certainly understand the noise issue can be a concern, but there are many different mechanical key switch designs, including ones with a quiet progressive action and rubber dampers if you don't like the bottoming out feel and noise. I suspect you maybe just haven't tried the full variety of switches out there. You'd probably be very happy with one of the lighter, non-click Cherry MX varieties, with rubber bushings preventing bottom-out.

I've tried the Cherry MX Red,Blue, and brown switches, I prefer the browns personally due to the lower actuation force and the "bump." I bought a Corsair unit for my girlfriend with the Blue switches and she really likes it, but I cant stand the clicking! She prefers mechanical keyboards in general but shes a photographer and Photoshop is pretty much all she does on her computer and nothing else really. I only mention that because she is def not an experienced user otherwise, but even she has a preference. In any case, I still prefer the shorter key height of a membrane keyboard, although that may be just because my fingers have gotten used to it. If I forced myself to use one of the newer mechanical units for a while I might get used to it and change my preference.

I have not tried the new "silent" switches, but I'm not going to spend 160+ bucks on a keyboard just try it and haven't yet found any stores near me that carry them (although I haven't really looked that hard to be honest). I'm willing to give it shot but since corsair has a contract to offer the silent switches exclusively, that limits my ability to try it without buying, unless I can find some place that carries the STRAFE or something.

EDIT: After doing a little more research it seems the STRAFE with the silent key switches is sold exclusively at best buy which I generally avoid like the plague. I may go check it out,although there seems to be some bad reviews for the bundled software on the RGB version. Anybody know how the Silent compares to the browns?

Last edited:
Amazon sells this cherry switch test strip that's worth trying. I'm willing to give it another try lol!

I considered getting one of those. I just don't know how well you can gauge typing on a keyboard full of switches, from just pressing a single test switch. I guess it's better than having nothing to go by at all, but i don't know.

From your statements above, I think what you would really appreciate are the o-rings. they soften the impact of bottoming out, make the keyboards quieter and shorten the travel distance some. As Nenu mentioned above, you can even double them up in some keyboard designs for even more of an effect. I bet cherry browns with o-rings would be your preference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up buying a Corsair K70 RGB with brown switches, so I guess we shall see. If I don't like it you'll very soon find it in the for sale section! lol

I wish I could find the few spare O rings I had left after fitting up my MX brown KM780 RGB.
I'd like to test what effect fitting dual O rings will have.
It will either give an even shorter switch throw with much muted key press noise and a softer landing, or it will not allow the switch to depress enough to register a key press.
I really like it with single O rings, this might be even better.

For the hell of it I've ordered a second set of silicon O rings to test, they are so cheap.
If anyones got experience of doing this, I'm interested to know what you found.
Update:

Got the 2nd set of O'rings fitted and I love it.
At first there were a few double clicks, it took a few hard presses - especially on the space bar, to get them to bed in.
Now its like cushioned short throw mechanical switches.
I can type much faster, its ace, and a little quieter.
Highly recommended.

Back