Rate Your IP

Do I have this correct? When you run the test using a VPN the scan is not seeing your system or your systems ip, but it is scanning the ip address of the VPN companies/providers system.

This port scanner means nothing in the real world. I suppose, if you had no idea that a FTP, HTTP/S or SMTP port was open, it might be beneficial, but it doesn't mean your firewall is inherently "less secure" because you are purposely routing these ports to a service or server behind the firewall. FWIW, we have http and https open (on purpose) to the outside world. This gives us a score of 22.9. However, I can easily drop packets from the port scanner's IP and obtain a score of 0. Also, it appears to only scan known ports and not obscure/non-standard ports.
I think you're kind of overthinking it. It's a basic scan targeted at dumb end users, not an enterprise grade security audit.

Got a 0 here at home, for enterprise scanning they ask you check someone in sales in the FAQ. :)

Says I have 1/2 open for a score of 2.9 out of 100. Looks like I need to find it and close it.

Last edited:
I use a VPN through my DD_WRT router and I got 34/100. Turn off the VPN service and I get 0/100. I expected the opposite.

I get the same thing.. Strange.

Edit: Also I noticed when the VPN is on I get an IPv4 addy but when I disable it I get an IPv6 addy.

Last edited:
Torrent Downloads: If an IP address detected downloading torrents, the risk level is considered extreme.
IP Addresses downloading torrents

0 / 1

It didn't detect any of the, er, linux distros, I'm hosting. Dubious of results.

I got a 0 score, probably because I use a vpn on my phone. Seems unreliable from the replies on the fourm here.

I'm a network engineer. I better get a 0 at home. And indeed my score was 0. Nice!

Wow 28/100 because im running a html server without https for downloading of free files...

not sure how much i wanna read into this score..

I got a 0 score, probably because I use a vpn on my phone. Seems unreliable from the replies on the fourm here.

i dont think vpn is really affecting your score.s it just seems to see if you i have open ports into your network. and thats about it. so no open prots with or without vpn (asusmign you VPN provide has no open ports) equal same score

With my TorGuard VPN off I get no open ports at https://www.grc.com/

But with the VPN enabled it's showing open 22 and a few others. What gives? I see nothing in Torguard settings for closing ports, doesn't matter if I'm connected via TCP or UDP. Also, trying to close the port didn't change anything according to GRC
6c9d94321f.png
I would venture to say, with VPN on and running (assuming you are pulling an IP address), that your VPN IP is being checked.

They probably have ports open to make said service work.

Edit - Tested it myself, looks like I was right.
Normal network 0/100
VMs forced through VPN 34/100, retested same VPN after killing service and on normal network 0/100.

Last edited:
I would venture to say, with VPN on and running (assuming you are pulling an IP address), that your VPN IP is being checked.

They probably have ports open to make said service work.

Edit - Tested it myself, looks like I was right.
Normal network 0/100
VMs forced through VPN 34/100, retested same VPN after killing service and on normal network 0/100.

Yeap, this. The vpn server keeps ports open. That doesn't mean they can find you because that would defeat the point of the vpn.

Hmm. I got a 45...and have no idea what any of it means or what I can, or should, do about any of it.

I scored a big fat 0

Same as basically everyone else

It's almost as if my machine had some sort of wall of fire in front of it blocking traffic from the outside...

Somehow got 0s while RDPing into my server from work, through an OpenVPN connection, while a torrent was downloading on one of my server's Linux VMs with an IPVannish VPN connection to Iceland and my Plex server running with ports forwarded.....hmmmm.

Last edited:
Back